PDA

View Full Version : Mike Patton was almost VR's lead singer

Walking25
08-08-2006, 06:28 PM
MIKE PATTON turned down invitations to join rock supergroups INXS and VELVET REVOLVER, because they are too popular.
Ex-GUNS N' ROSES guitarist SLASH approached the former FAITH NO MORE frontman in 2002 to be the vocalist for Velvet Revolver.
Patton says, "It was before it was called that (Velvet Revolver), but they asked! "I mean they were real nice about it, but I was like, 'Er, sorry, not my thing.' Patton couldn't believe it when he was also approached by Australian rockers INXS, to replace their late frontman MICHAEL HUTCHENCE.
He says, "That and being asked to join INXS pretty much take the cake.
"In my experience, very popular bands - they do their thing and that's it then do a reunion tour with one original member! "Look at AXL ROSE. His hair's like a bad reggae wig."

http://www.pr-inside.com/patton-turned-dow...lver-r13949.htm (http://www.pr-inside.com/patton-turned-dow...lver-r13949.htm)

That would have been crazy.

So far the list of people who were 'ALMOST" VR's lead singer lol:

Mike Patton (was offered)
Kelly Shaefer (recorded demos)
Brad Cox (recorded demos)
Huck Johns (was offered)
Joshua Todd (Kicked out by Slash for Unknown Reasons)
Sebastian Bach (auditioned)
Todd Kerns (auditioned)
Travis Meeks (auditioned)
Stephen Ludwin (auditioned)
Stephen Shareaux (auditioned)

wow.. thats a lot

Pennington's Rocket Arm
08-08-2006, 06:44 PM
but gee they make such great music, who wouldn't want to front them.

NaboCane
08-08-2006, 07:07 PM
REALLY!!!??? That's crazy!

(waits patiently as mike patton sinks back into the obscurity from which he came...)

Pennington's Rocket Arm
08-08-2006, 07:21 PM
mr. bungle > anything any member of velvet revolver did at any point in their careers.

d-day
08-08-2006, 07:22 PM
i would have stopped listening to music altogether if that had happened

Walking25
08-08-2006, 07:37 PM
i would have stopped listening to music altogether if that had happened

I put this up to hear your response. :tongue: :wink:

d-day
08-08-2006, 07:48 PM
I put this up to hear your response. :tongue: :wink:

no offense walk because i know you're a velvet revolver fan but everything i've ever known about mike patton has involved integrity - mike p joining a "supergroup" like v.r. could have possibily destroyed any hope i have left of mankind

edit - besides, would you have been just as big a v.r. fan if scott weiland wasn't the lead singer...?

Walking25
08-08-2006, 07:55 PM
no offense walk because i know you're a velvet revolver fan but everything i've ever known about mike patton has involved integrity - mike p joining a "supergroup" like v.r. could have possibily destroyed any hope i have left of mankind

its all good man they (VR) have 2 decent songs..

Im a fan of Weiland thats it....
It appears that this highly interesting piece of information from Douglas Grean's blog on MySpace (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=90578774&blogID=147988680&MyToken=649a8f40-a305-4e47-aa0a-b490727e42dd) has slipped under our radar, or at least I haven't seen it posted anywhere...

Monday, July 24, 2006

****ing Awesome Musicians

I have changed my top eight friends. They are now all working session and live players who are looking for gigs. These guys are great at what they do. Most of them have played at least one track on The Scott Weiland Solo CD (that will be released early next year). They have all played with some big artists. They are all total pros. So if your looking for a drummer, bass player, or keyboardist. Check these guys out they rock (and or jazz if that's what your into).

Confirmed Guest Artists:
The Actual
Danny Gordon
Matt O'Connor
Beau Jarvis
Frank Reina
Panhead
Ron Pak
Mike Gilfone

Scott releasing his 2nd solo album & autobiography coming out in 07
something Im guessing like A. Kedis from RHCP scar tissue book he came out with....

d-day
08-08-2006, 07:59 PM
its all good man they (VR) have 2 decent songs..

Im a fan of Weiland thats it....

i knew it... :wink: