PDA

View Full Version : Does the Manatee Wright situation make you

Thumper54
08-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Nostalgic for the days of Demetrius Underwood? I mean, Underwood's craziness was a known commodity and had some entertainment value, tragic as it may have been. Wright proves himself to be unable to do the things he need do to remain a pro and whammo, he's depressed, medicated, counseled and wanting to quit. Fat lazy and immature are a bad combo, you would be depressed too. Hasta la vista baby! Hey, where is Demetrius Underwood anyway? Anybody know?:boohoo:

fish fan 4 life
08-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Underwood was a nut.I dont think Manny is that bad but time will tell.I have no idea where Underwood is but i would like to no aswell.:lol:

Cool Calm Mike
08-10-2006, 09:50 PM
I remember that Underwood ran out in the middle of a highway, and started to try and tackle cars claiming he was God.

Until Wright does that...

Silverphin
08-10-2006, 09:53 PM
I remember that Underwood ran out in the middle of a highway, and started to try and tackle cars claiming he was God.

:yeahthat:

fish fan 4 life
08-10-2006, 09:55 PM

Until Wright does that...:sidelol: What?I didnt no that.I heard something about him cutting himself up in the middle of the street.I guess he didnt tackle any cars huh?:lol:

C Maltasanti
08-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Manny is really just makin excuses so he can focus on his new carreer ambition:

Sumo Wrestling

Mainge
08-11-2006, 12:48 AM
:lol: :sidelol:

:sidelol: :lol: :sidelol: A real nut-job huh?

Poor dude.

juniorseau55
08-11-2006, 01:02 AM
People have problems in life man, we are all in a way affected by society and the culture of the way they set our standarts.

nikeair497
08-11-2006, 04:22 AM
kids.

slyfox13
08-11-2006, 05:26 AM
People have problems in life man, we are all in a way affected by society and the culture of the way they set our standarts.dont wanna sound anal but........ just exactly what is a standart??????

finsUK
08-11-2006, 05:33 AM
Depressives tend to fixate on an issue that they have decided will sort out their situation. If I do this/that happens everything will be okay. The main problem with this is that their decision making process is almost always seriously flawed.
Manny has now made the decision he should leave Miami - it's a symptom of the illness that he believes this 100% and is only likely to get more fixated on it. It does look infantile but this is where depression as an illness shows something anyone can see - he's not hearing voices but he does have a mental illness.
Clinical depression isn't just being sad or upset or even just having low self esteem. Small things assume vast proportions because they have a hard time handling frustration or rejection - hence the third team status being seen to negate all the effort made to that point.
This is an illness and the kid needs some space and some special handling (someone apparently seems to think he's worth the effort) - have some appreciation of what's him and what's the illness speaking.
Before anyone asks my wife is a depressive and sometimes it is difficult to live with but I've learned to understand a lot of it. Saban is handling this well - he can't just give him what he thinks he wants.

Lederhosen
08-11-2006, 07:00 AM
Depressives tend to fixate on an issue that they have decided will sort out their situation. If I do this/that happens everything will be okay. The main problem with this is that their decision making process is almost always seriously flawed.
Manny has now made the decision he should leave Miami - it's a symptom of the illness that he believes this 100% and is only likely to get more fixated on it. It does look infantile but this is where depression as an illness shows something anyone can see - he's not hearing voices but he does have a mental illness.
Clinical depression isn't just being sad or upset or even just having low self esteem. Small things assume vast proportions because they have a hard time handling frustration or rejection - hence the third team status being seen to negate all the effort made to that point.
This is an illness and the kid needs some space and some special handling (someone apparently seems to think he's worth the effort) - have some appreciation of what's him and what's the illness speaking.
Before anyone asks my wife is a depressive and sometimes it is difficult to live with but I've learned to understand a lot of it. Saban is handling this well - he can't just give him what he thinks he wants.

Thanks for that post! I have to say I also get upset all the time people here on the board call everybody with a mental disease a "nut", "lunatic" or "wimp".

thedayafter
08-11-2006, 07:30 AM
I know that Manny's depression issue is in the forefront of discussion.... but does anyone think there might be something more.... let's say.... like MONEY!

I could be wrong but only six players under contract make less than Manny on defense... he only received a bonus of $47,500 when he signed and $310k per year through 2008....

He apparently owns an SUV... but can't pay his rent... sees all this money all around him.... and thinks... man... this s*cks... and it will s*ck until 2008.... it's "depressing"....huh!

I mean... Saban is adamant... Manny, you want an NFL future.... it starts and stops with the Dolphins.... reading between the lines... it seems a little hard core that Saban, usually guarded with his words, would put that out there... makes me wonder... could the root of Manny's issue really be money and could this "depression" angle (if it is an angle) be his way of holding out?

3Ply Stagliano
08-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks for that post! I have to say I also get upset all the time people here on the board call everybody with a mental disease a "nut", "lunatic" or "wimp".

I know. It's not somewhere you get a lot of understanding for people with any sort of problem. Even when it comes to physical injuries, a lot of the posters seem to reckon players should 'suck it in' and play through anything up to having both legs removed. It's ridiculous the inhuman expectations some people have of football players.

I feel sorry for Manny Wright. It's not as if he's doing this deliberately to hurt the Dolphins or because he's a bad person. He's got an illness and is trying to get through it. Instead of people passing judgement about it, wouldn't true fans be trying to support one of their team's players?

PhinsRock
08-11-2006, 07:41 AM
I will support Manny, so long as Saban wants him on this team, sadly I believe this is more about money and Manny's mismanagement of it, than it is about depression. I suffered from depression, and understand it and know what it takes to overcome it as I have. And this smells far more like immaturity and money problems than depression.

Grant you, I am not a doctor, and I'm not saying I know better than they do. But having suffered through depression myself, I have a fairly comprehensive understanding of it and this just smells more like immaturiy and money problems to me. For whatever that's worth (nada).

buckwilde
08-11-2006, 08:26 AM

Forget all this Dr. Phil feel good crap, it is all BS. Just throw that boy a good old fashioned beating and he will shape up!!:lol: