PDA

View Full Version : My poor Twins

Majpain
08-12-2006, 03:13 PM
I dont really watch baseball but I try to follow the Twins.Its not looking good huh?They lose their starting pitcher and now they are going to lose their wild card spot.*Sigh*

Ray Finkle
08-12-2006, 03:15 PM
I dont really watch baseball but I try to follow the Twins.Its not looking good huh?They lose their starting pitcher and now they are going to lose their wild card spot.*Sigh*

They're far from out of it. There's still a lot of baseball left. Losing Liriano has hurt the team no doubt about it, but both Radke and Santana are stepping up and pitching well lately. The race is far from over and a lot could happen.

Majpain
08-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Yea but Im mad that he didnt sit out that one game when his injury wasnt that serious.He played threw his injury and look what happend:shakeno:

King Felix
08-12-2006, 04:38 PM
they got the rookie who just got called up who is supposed to be rreally good

Ray Finkle
08-12-2006, 04:43 PM
they got the rookie who just got called up who is supposed to be rreally good

Who? What's him name? Is it Kyle Waldrop?

King Felix
08-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Who? What's him name? Is it Kyle Waldrop?i dont remmember the name some1 was saying it on espn......

djfresh47
08-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Who? What's him name? Is it Kyle Waldrop?

Garza the guy who pitched poorly last night. Really incredible how quickly he made it up to the big leagues. I don't think the Twins are out of it they've got 3 coming up with the Chisox who seem to be starting to get on a roll that is a huge series. If Chicago can take tomorrow they're 5 1/2 back I believe of Detroit so even the division isn't over.

Ray Finkle
08-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Garza the guy who pitched poorly last night. Really incredible how quickly he made it up to the big leagues. I don't think the Twins are out of it they've got 3 coming up with the Chisox who seem to be starting to get on a roll that is a huge series. If Chicago can take tomorrow they're 5 1/2 back I believe of Detroit so even the division isn't over.

Oh ok. Thanks for the info.

The Confessor
08-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Hah, the majority (No pun intended Majpain) of the big league teams wish they had the pitching problems you guys do. You're second and third are better than most first and seconds. Not over till it's over....

Ray Finkle
08-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Hah, the majority (No pun intended Majpain) of the big league teams wish they had the pitching problems you guys do. You're second and third are better than most first and seconds. Not over till it's over....

You're right and the kids they have in the minors aren't too shabby either. Other teams in the central and rest of the AL are going to have a tough time with them in the near future.

The Confessor
08-12-2006, 06:09 PM
You're right and the kids they have in the minors aren't too shabby either. Other teams in the central and rest of the AL are going to have a tough time with them in the near future.

Agreed, except I would say that the entire situation could change still this season with 1 or 2 injuries. If Johnson goes down for the Yankees, they are toast (And I not even by injury, if he resorts back to how he started the season-I've seen it happen with him here in the desert)

djfresh47
08-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Agreed, except I would say that the entire situation could change still this season with 1 or 2 injuries. If Johnson goes down for the Yankees, they are toast (And I not even by injury, if he resorts back to how he started the season-I've seen it happen with him here in the desert)

Johnson is like 12-9 with an era around 5 he started off great vs Chicago but he is no longer an elite pitcher. Most Yankees fans would agree that he's probably their 3.

The Confessor
08-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Johnson is like 12-9 with an era around 5 he started off great vs Chicago but he is no longer an elite pitcher. Most Yankees fans would agree that he's probably their 3.

Agreed, but without him they would be DUN. THey have zero depth at pitcher. There just are not enough quality pitchers to go around. Big reason the Sox won it last year is quality 1-4. Aside from Houston and perhaps now the Dodgers with Maddox, nobody has depth like the Twins...

djfresh47
08-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Agreed, but without him they would be DUN. THey have zero depth at pitcher. There just are not enough quality pitchers to go around. Big reason the Sox won it last year is quality 1-4. Aside from Houston and perhaps now the Dodgers with Maddox, nobody has depth like the Twins...

Liriano and Santana are the best 1-2 in baseball but they really don't have depth. Radke has a 4.65 ERA but Silva is awful and Bonser is still raw. I don't respect any National League pitching staff their is a huge disparity in talent between the leagues and aside from the Mets their is not a single team in the National League that I believe would be .500 in the AL.

Ray Finkle
08-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Liriano and Santana are the best 1-2 in baseball but they really don't have depth. Radke has a 4.65 ERA but Silva is awful and Bonser is still raw. I don't respect any National League pitching staff their is a huge disparity in talent between the leagues and aside from the Mets their is not a single team in the National League that I believe would be .500 in the AL.

Even the Mets might not even have been a .500 team in the AL. Their record in interleague was 6 and 9. Playing against the Yankees, Red Sox, Baltimore and Blue Jays.

The NL is clearly the weakest it has ever been.

djfresh47
08-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Even the Mets might not even have been a .500 team in the AL. Their record in interleague was 6 and 9. Playing against the Yankees, Red Sox, Baltimore and Blue Jays.

The NL is clearly the weakest it has ever been.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but they'd be a 4th place team in the Central and probably a 4th place team in the East. Last year the media was getting on the Padres for being basically a .500 team that got into the playoffs. Right now aside from the Cardinals and Mets their could be two teams like that.

Ray Finkle
08-12-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but they'd be a 4th place team in the Central and probably a 4th place team in the East. Last year the media was getting on the Padres for being basically a .500 team that got into the playoffs. Right now aside from the Cardinals and Mets their could be two teams like that.

Oh I was agreeing with you. I think that the Mets with their line up would have been a .500 ball club but probably only a 3rd place team in the East at best.

The Confessor
08-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Agreed. I just wanna know how the pitching has gotten sooo watered down so quickly. Seems like the last couple of years you could expect 2-3 quality pitchers for each of the top 10-15 teams. Dont see it at all anymore in either league.

Ray Finkle
08-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Agreed. I just wanna know how the pitching has gotten sooo watered down so quickly. Seems like the last couple of years you could expect 2-3 quality pitchers for each of the top 10-15 teams. Dont see it at all anymore in either league.

2 reasons:

Too many teams.

Also a lot of the smaller market teams have been able to sign their young, good pitchers (i.e. SD with Peavy, MINN with Santana, MIL with Sheets, etc.) Therefore big market teams (the top 10 to 15) can't throw money at the pitchers to get a good rotation like in the past.

djfresh47
08-12-2006, 07:48 PM

Expansion has something to do with it as their are pitchers and even position players that are on major league rosters who aren't major league caliber players. Also a premium is put on power and if you look at the lineups of teams like the Red Sox, White Sox, Mets, Yankees, they've got guys who can kill the ball. A pitcher makes a couple mistakes and they quickly have given up 5 runs. This year the pitching is extremely watered down but defense has something to do with it also with guys making extra pitches and wearing down earlier. The Yankees make the playoffs seemingly every year as do the Red Sox and the White Sox relied strictly on starting pitching in last years postseason. The extra innings in the postseason add up. In defense of the pitchers I think their are some potentially great young pitchers in Liriano, Kazmir, Willis, Weaver to name a couple who should be handled very carefully by their teams. A few years ago Wood and Prior seemed to be on the track for greatness and because Dusty Baker is a terrible manager he probably ruined both of their careers.

I think confidence also has a ton to do with a starting pitcher. Guys have great stuff but struggle IMO because of confidence. It's not like a regular though who can go out the next day and makeup for a poor game a pitcher has a couple bad starts and their ERA is around 5. I would also argue that guys are being put into the rotation before they learn how to pitch to major league hitters. Teams are enamored with the talent of some of these guys and because they're small market they've gotta get the most out of them while they can they lose the guy and his confidence is shattered. Is it crazy to believe that some of these young guys belong in the bullpen and let them progress untill they're good enough for the rotation.

MikeO
08-12-2006, 10:11 PM

The pitchers aren't watered down, the hitters are bigger.

HGH anyone? Steroids anyone?!

djfresh47
08-12-2006, 11:03 PM
The pitchers aren't watered down, the hitters are bigger.

HGH anyone? Steroids anyone?!

If people don't believe pitchers are doing the same thing they're naive. Maybe it doesn't have the same effect but maybe the testing for greenies is what is causing the ERA of some pitchers who have been very good in the past to balloon.

MikeO
08-12-2006, 11:12 PM
If people don't believe pitchers are doing the same thing they're naive. Maybe it doesn't have the same effect but maybe the testing for greenies is what is causing the ERA of some pitchers who have been very good in the past to balloon.

the pitchers may be doing the same thing but the advantage is always with the hitter. Who is swinging a weapon at a rapid speed that will destroy a baseball. The fact the ball is coming in faster ONLY works to the hitters advantage.