PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Obsession With A-rod

Martel
08-12-2006, 08:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=arod

This is on the front page of espn.com today. What is their deal?

Who really hates A-Rod other than a few bitter Yankee fans? I don't like the Yanks or A-Rod really but give me a break.

They rail on this guy every night. It's obvious that someone over there does not like A-Rod for some reason. Sure some people don't like A-Rod but I think Kobe or T.O. is less liked then him, but yet "America's hate affair with A-Rod" is front page news.

Come on ESPN, your *** is showing.

EDIT: Okay so i actually skimmed through that long *** article and see that it is trying to be kinda neutral. The point still stands. Espn' is waay overdoing this. Much like they do most stories I guess.

PhinSoldia
08-12-2006, 08:39 PM
because he is the highest paid player that ISNT doing a good job and just isnt playing up to his potential or his pay grade

Martel
08-12-2006, 08:51 PM
24 82 .284 aren't great but this guy is a first ballot hall of famer. You know he will bounce back. He will probably finish with 40 120 and bat around .300
Seems like they are coming after him

MikeO
08-12-2006, 10:05 PM
its a witch hunt at this point. Bonds had the witch hunt after him now its Arod's turn. (at least with Bonds you could understand the reasoning)

The highest paid thing isn't even an issue in NY cause Texas is still paying him a lot of loot. On the Yanks his anual salary is high, but they are only paying a portion of that. About 5 or 6 yanks get paid more than him FROM THE ACTUAL YANKEES CHECKBOOK themselves.

The guy won the MVP last year. He is having a down year (anything to do with Sheff and Matusi gone?!!!?). I mean you take 200 RBI's out of a lineup and some protection around any hitter and of course the numbers will drop. And a "bad" year for AROD is still better than 90% of the league.

The funny thing about that ESPN.com piece is that its the 2nd time this week they ran it!!!!!!! 2nd time!!!! Same piece!!! Slow News day anyone???

MikeO
08-12-2006, 10:08 PM
also I have changed one opinion, I didn't think this would turn into a SHAQ-KOBE deal but now I am starting to think it might.

I dont' think AROD gets moved this offseason. But if this media blitz around him over seemingly nothing continues, and if Jeter or some other teammates don't step in on his behalf and put and end to this, I could see this blowing up sometime next year and turning into SHAQ-KOBE 2.

Granted, winning a world series would end all of it. But this is about 6 or 9 months away from turning ugly.

Roman529
08-12-2006, 11:15 PM
ESPN thinks the entire world revolves around New York and New England sports. Fat Chris Berman is a Bills and Pats lover and most of the NFL analysts there rarely have much positive to say about anyone outside of these areas in any sport.

MikeO
08-12-2006, 11:16 PM
ESPN thinks the entire world revolves around New York and New England sports. Fat Chris Berman is a Bills and Pats lover and most of the NFL analysts there rarely have much positive to say about anyone outside of these areas in any sport.

well, look where the headquarters is located!!! Everyone from the interns to the on-air talent is from that area. Damn near 90% at least

djfresh47
08-12-2006, 11:16 PM
A-Rod's down season is still better than about 90% of 3B in baseball. Everything with the Yankees and Bosox gets more hyped up because they're the marquee franchises in all of professional sports. Jeter gets paid more than A-Rod by the Yankees fans make a big deal out of his contract and expect more but the Yankees are paying other guys more as MikeO pointed out. Dan LeBatard said it best if Jeter hits a late inning HR he's starting a rally if A-Rod does it he's hiting another meaningless HR.

Mike13
08-14-2006, 04:41 PM
well, look where the headquarters is located!!! Everyone from the interns to the on-air talent is from that area. Damn near 90% at least

So that explains it.

#1 Fan
08-14-2006, 06:53 PM
they need a new barry bonds during the baseball season, a villian character for people to tune in.

djfresh47
08-14-2006, 09:13 PM

Didn't Berman also pick the 9ers to go to just about every SB in the '90's? The whole national media plays up Boston and the Yankees because they're the marquee franchises that have national appeal.

Slappy8800
08-14-2006, 09:15 PM
his salary shouldnt be a reason for anything...what was he supposed to do turn down 250 millions dollars?

PHINATIC13
08-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Wow! I know it's tough to play in NY,but damn.Btw my Halos could use a 3rd basemen with power.

MikeO
08-15-2006, 12:42 AM
his salary shouldnt be a reason for anything...what was he supposed to do turn down 250 millions dollars?

he actually tried to give some back to get traded to Boston. The Union wouldn't let him.

djfresh47
08-15-2006, 06:11 PM
he actually tried to give some back to get traded to Boston. The Union wouldn't let him.

A-Rod isn't liked IMO because he's not Jeter. The Yankees are playing Jeter more than A-Rod, where's the uproar about that? One thing that i'm too lazy to look up is who earns more including endorsements. John Feinstein brought up the point today that if Mariano Rivera doesn't blow a save in game 4 vs the Red Sox in the ALCS a couple years ago all is forgotten and nobody complains about A-Rod.

Ray Finkle
08-15-2006, 06:25 PM
The spotlight is going to be on Arod this weekend against Boston. He opened his mouth and said the reason why he wasn't doing well was because he was hurt and now his season starts. Torre, the players and beat reporters basically said they had no idea he was ever hurt, if he even was and what was exactly wrong. So he's putting himself in a hole. If he doesn't produce this weekend the obsession will be at an all time high and it might be Arod's undoing in NY with the players, fans, media and whoever else. This weekend is a MUST for Arod. He can't afford to make a few errors, go 3 for 25 with 0 home runs or RBIs and gets out in big situations. If he does watch out....

Ray Finkle
08-15-2006, 06:28 PM
A-Rod isn't liked IMO because he's not Jeter. The Yankees are playing Jeter more than A-Rod, where's the uproar about that? One thing that i'm too lazy to look up is who earns more including endorsements. John Feinstein brought up the point today that if Mariano Rivera doesn't blow a save in game 4 vs the Red Sox in the ALCS a couple years ago all is forgotten and nobody complains about A-Rod.

Jeter does. He actually makes more money than Arod between his contract and endorsements compared to Arod's contract and endorsements. The truth is NY is Jeter's town, Arod got a few endorsements his first year with the team but Jeter has a lot more and continues to get them as Arod has leveled out.

phinphan896
08-15-2006, 07:40 PM
A rod is doing his job, derek jeter is the one that is overrated/ Look at jeters career stats and compare them to arod. This is the first year that jeter is actually an elite player. every other year hes been a nice player but not elite like arod

Kev83
08-15-2006, 08:04 PM
With the Yankee fans, a lot of it has to do with heart and leadership. I think part of the riff comes from A-Rods mentality and things such as public appearances with shrinks to handle Yankee jeers.

In the end, this is overhyped and I agree with those who think A-Rod bounces back. In fact, I believe he gets a ring in NY within the next few seasons.

djfresh47
08-15-2006, 11:36 PM
A rod is doing his job, derek jeter is the one that is overrated/ Look at jeters career stats and compare them to arod. This is the first year that jeter is actually an elite player. every other year hes been a nice player but not elite like arod

I disagree with the statement that Jeter has not been an elite player. Now was he as good of a SS as A-Rod could be questionable. Guys with the Yankees and Red Sox have the microscope on them 24/7 and some guys can handle it and others can't. As anyone can tell i'm a White Sox fan and I think a great example is Contreras even with his loss today. He went to the Yankees and couldn't handle it then he goes to Chicago and he is a different pitcher. Untill the Yankees win a championship with A-Rod he's going to get criticized. Although I think if the A-Rod trade to the Red Sox would've went through fans would look at him in a different perspective. Many baseball fans hate the Yankees because they're the Yankees but I don't think any casual baseball fans were rooting for the Yankees in the past playoffs vs the Red Sox.

Draft Pick
08-15-2006, 11:46 PM
i hate it they need to stop

Brewers
08-15-2006, 11:50 PM
Arod is overated. He's good, but he aint worth 24 mill

MikeO
08-16-2006, 01:25 AM
The spotlight is going to be on Arod this weekend against Boston. He opened his mouth and said the reason why he wasn't doing well was because he was hurt and now his season starts. Torre, the players and beat reporters basically said they had no idea he was ever hurt, if he even was and what was exactly wrong. So he's putting himself in a hole. If he doesn't produce this weekend the obsession will be at an all time high and it might be Arod's undoing in NY with the players, fans, media and whoever else. This weekend is a MUST for Arod. He can't afford to make a few errors, go 3 for 25 with 0 home runs or RBIs and gets out in big situations. If he does watch out....

The spotlight is on him every weekend.:shakeno: :shakeno: It doesn't matter anymore. If he has a bad weekend what will yankee fans do??? BOO HIM!!!!!!!! WOW, there's a shock! :sidelol: That would be something new!:shakeno:

He could go 4-4 and people would ignore him. If he goes 0-4 its a big story. It's at the point where it just doesn't matter and its almost a non-issue because it has been beaten so into the ground at this point.

MikeO
08-16-2006, 01:39 AM
Unless Arod hits a home run in the bottom of the 9th in Game 7 of the World Series sometime between now and when he is no longer a Yankee, the fan's aren't going to like him in NY. And as long as he is a yankee, the general baseball fan won't like him period.

He will win a bunch of MVP's. He might retire the HOME RUN KING passing Aaron and Bonds. He is a first ballot hall of fame player.

But the bottom line is now till he retires, fans will boo him (espcially since fans now know it bothers him) and he won't be liked by many. It's unfair, but hey, give me that kind of money and I will take the unfair aspect that comes with it.

This "issue" can't be blown up anymore than it already is. The guy is treated and looked at like a 2nd class citizen by fans of the very team he plays for. The media has run out of angles to cover this story. He could go hitless in the 5 games this weekend in Boston and nobody would bat an eyelash at this point. They would just say......"well its Arod not coming up big again". And if he goes off and hits 3 home runs and drives in 12 RBI's, then others will say...."big deal" or "about time". Either way AROD can't win. And either way fans stopped caring about this story at this point. ESPN, Daily News, NYPost can keep covering it (which I see this dying in time too) but now its just reporting day old news over and over and over and over and over and over again. This story has ran its course and thats that.

The Yankee bashers and AROD bashers won. AROD sucks (to them at least)! Happy, he sucks. I will still take him on my team (at a discount mind you) and I don't want him playing for anyone else. I mean its werid how his numbers dropped in the season where Sheff and Matsui went down! Interesting. I guess an objective eye wouldnt look at that and see that as maybe a cause for him having a down (yet still a good, not great) season. But nontheless, Arod sucks. Nobody likes him. We have read it for months now. Until some paper or news agency find a new angle to cover this story, then I please hope they don't waste my time by re-printing a newer version of an outdated subject. Either come up with a "NEW TWIST" or "DIFFERENT TAKE" or go on to find a new witch-hunt to start.

PHINATIC13
08-16-2006, 01:42 AM
The spotlight is on him every weekend.:shakeno: :shakeno: It doesn't matter anymore. If he has a bad weekend what will yankee fans do??? BOO HIM!!!!!!!! WOW, there's a shock! :sidelol: That would be something new!:shakeno:

He could go 4-4 and people would ignore him. If he goes 0-4 its a big story. It's at the point where it just doesn't matter and its almost a non-issue because it has been beaten so into the ground at this point.

It seems Alex is in a no win situation.If he plays well they say well he's supposed to,and if he plays poorly they're ready to crucify him.Do you locals believe A-Rod's time in NY is over anytime soon? or does all this negative media coverage mean nothing to George,Brian and Joe.

MikeO
08-16-2006, 01:47 AM
It seems Alex is in a no win situation.If he plays well they say well he's supposed to,and if he plays poorly they're ready to crucify him.Do you locals believe A-Rod's time in NY is over anytime soon? or does all this negative media coverage mean nothing to George,Brian and Joe.

He has a no trade clause in his contract. He isn't going anywhere.

For him to accept a trade would be admitting defeat and that would ONLY makes things worse, even if his new home would be KC or Pittsburgh and he were playing in front of only 12 people a night.

I do think once Joe Toree does retire in a few years, AROD is handpicking the next manager. That is a given.

PHINATIC13
08-16-2006, 01:55 AM
He has a no trade clause in his contract. He isn't going anywhere.

For him to accept a trade would be admitting defeat and that would ONLY makes things worse, even if his new home would be KC or Pittsburgh and he were playing in front of only 12 people a night.

I do think once Joe Toree does retire in a few years, AROD is handpicking the next manager. That is a given.

Or Anaheim(aka LA):D.

Speaking of Joe(who I always liked he use to broadcast Angels games),the Angels broadcasters Hudler and Pysioc(sp) were saying this might be Torre's last year.Hudler mentioned that Mattingly was in line to take over as Mgr.You hear anything on that?

djfresh47
08-16-2006, 03:24 AM

If A-Rod went 3-4 and his one out was in the bottom of the 9th he'd get criticized. I really don't know what people expect of him. I believe if he hit .300 in the playoffs and the Yankees didn't win the WS he'd still get criticized. The national media kills A-Rod but what about Johnson and his ERA around 5.00? I hate to bring up "if" situations but if he was putting up the same numbers in a different market would he be scrutinized as much? People love to criticize the Yankees and I hate them but if the season ended today and they play the White Sox would anyone argue that the winner of that series is the favorite to win the WS?

Ray Finkle
08-16-2006, 08:28 AM

Thanks for missing my point. My point was Arod is using his struggles on injuries and stated the season started now (which was on Sunday). Basically Torre and the writers are calling him a liar saying there is no proof of an injury because he never went to the trainers for it (which have to report anything and everything to a manager) and the writers never saw Arod go in and out of the trainer's office every day. Even Yankee homer, Michael Kay has been killing him for this. If he doesn't go get hot he'll be labeled a phony and a liar on top of being a choke artist.

Interesting theory about Sheffield and Matsui not in the line up to protect him but how come Posada is having a career year, Giambi is having a good year, ditto for Damon, Jeter might be the MVP, Melky is doing well, same with Cano. Basically every Yankee but Arod is during well at the plate. You'd think that others would struggle too if that was the case. He's just having an off year.

Also how about Arod's poor defense? Is Matsui not in LF causing a distraction for him? Is he thinking to himself man I better catch this ground ball because Matsui isn't in LF? No, he's just having a terrible fielding year and an average offensive year. Players aren't robots and are aloud to have an off year.

MikeO
08-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Or Anaheim(aka LA):D.

Speaking of Joe(who I always liked he use to broadcast Angels games),the Angels broadcasters Hudler and Pysioc(sp) were saying this might be Torre's last year.Hudler mentioned that Mattingly was in line to take over as Mgr.You hear anything on that?

Maybe if they won it all he would retire on top. But I doubt it. He isnt leaving.

I also don't see Don being the manager. I don't think he wants that job.

MikeO
08-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks for missing my point. My point was Arod is using his struggles on injuries and stated the season started now (which was on Sunday). Basically Torre and the writers are calling him a liar saying there is no proof of an injury because he never went to the trainers for it (which have to report anything and everything to a manager) and the writers never saw Arod go in and out of the trainer's office every day. Even Yankee homer, Michael Kay has been killing him for this. If he doesn't go get hot he'll be labeled a phony and a liar on top of being a choke artist.

Interesting theory about Sheffield and Matsui not in the line up to protect him but how come Posada is having a career year, Giambi is having a good year, ditto for Damon, Jeter might be the MVP, Melky is doing well, same with Cano. Basically every Yankee but Arod is during well at the plate. You'd think that others would struggle too if that was the case. He's just having an off year.

Also how about Arod's poor defense? Is Matsui not in LF causing a distraction for him? Is he thinking to himself man I better catch this ground ball because Matsui isn't in LF? No, he's just having a terrible fielding year and an average offensive year. Players aren't robots and are aloud to have an off year.

NO, your point was if he doesn't have a good weekend vs Boston the fans will turn on him. And the media coverage will get worse. My point was they have turned on him already, will NEVER turn back and be in favor of him. And the media coverage can't get worse. And what can possibly be done? Have the fans boo him?? Been there done that! :lol:

And did you just compare Melky, Cano, and Posada to Sheff and Matsui?? :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

P.S.......he already has those labels you mentioned above and has had them since the 1st day he stepped into NYC.

Ray Finkle
08-16-2006, 10:14 AM
And did you just compare Melky, Cano, and Posada to Sheff and Matsui?? :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

Do me a favor and go back and read what I actually wrote. I said that your point of Arod not producing because Matsui and Sheffield in the line up is weak when guys like the above are producing (some having career years like Posada and Jeter). I never stated those players are better nor was I comparing them. Also what about his defense, do you blame Mat and Sheff for that too?

Unbelieveble how you put words into my mouth. :shakeno:

UCFinfan86
08-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Do me a favor and go back and read what I actually wrote. I said that your point of Arod not producing because Matsui and Sheffield in the line up is weak when guys like the above are producing (some having career years like Posada and Jeter). I never stated those players are better nor was I comparing them. Also what about his defense, do you blame Mat and Sheff for that too?

Unbelieveble how you put words into my mouth. :shakeno:

no he just came back with that because he had no comeback for your post which was 100% accurate.