PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox done?

VINsanity10
08-14-2006, 01:46 AM
They probably wont be able to catch the Yanks in the divison with some players coming back soon but do you think they can catch Chicago or Minnesota? Both of those pitching staffs are much better than Bostons.

Perfect23
08-14-2006, 01:55 AM
Last I checked they were only one game behind the Yanks

Rocky Raccoon
08-14-2006, 02:07 AM
they're only a game behind with a 5 game series coming up next week...

GreenMonster
08-14-2006, 02:42 AM
Glad to see so many are concerned about the Sox..

Prime Time
08-14-2006, 02:50 AM
If this was the final week of the Season I might agree but there are plenty of games left to play.

DonShula84
08-14-2006, 02:55 AM
When did a 1 game lead become so hard to make up? Sox will gain ground when the Yankees come to Anaheim at the end of the month if nothing else :)

FIN-IN-RI
08-14-2006, 09:59 AM
That's funny. Chicago's pithing staff is far from "much" better than the Sox. It's about even this season.

Motion
08-14-2006, 10:25 AM
:shakeno: Wow man, you have an interesting view on sports. First, Auburn is underrated at #6 in the nation, and now the Red Sox , a game and a half back, can't catch the Yanks even with a 5 game series next week.

In_Flames
08-14-2006, 10:30 AM
They probably wont be able to catch the Yanks in the divison with some players coming back soon but do you think they can catch Chicago or Minnesota? Both of those pitching staffs are much better than Bostons.

:smackhead 1 game behind man....1 game

djfresh47
08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
That's funny. Chicago's pithing staff is far from "much" better than the Sox. It's about even this season.

I would say that Minnesota's staff isn't much better than Bostons especially without Liriano. During a Chisox/Yanks game last week the play by play man for the Yanks seemed so out of touch it was ridiculous. He commented on how the Red Sox should be rooting for the Yankees to beat Chicago and hinted that the Yankees seemingly had already won the division. It's August 14th the only team that I think we can put in the postseason is the Mets at this point. A week ago I would've said Detroit also but Chicago gained 4 1/2 games and now get the Royals while Detroit gets Boston.

FIN-IN-RI
08-14-2006, 04:03 PM
I would say that Minnesota's staff isn't much better than Bostons especially without Liriano. During a Chisox/Yanks game last week the play by play man for the Yanks seemed so out of touch it was ridiculous. He commented on how the Red Sox should be rooting for the Yankees to beat Chicago and hinted that the Yankees seemingly had already won the division. It's August 14th the only team that I think we can put in the postseason is the Mets at this point. A week ago I would've said Detroit also but Chicago gained 4 1/2 games and now get the Royals while Detroit gets Boston.

The season is far from over man.. It's gonna be an exciting stretch. So many teams, so little playoff seeds.

FaninPatsyLand
08-14-2006, 05:07 PM
They've picked up 2 games on the Yankees over the last 3 days... the AL East race is FAR from over.

CirclingWagons
08-20-2006, 01:17 PM
pretty much

phinphan896
08-20-2006, 01:26 PM
yes

ChambersWI
08-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Probably. The only good starying pitcher they've got is Schilling (let's face it, if it wasn't for the run support, Beckett would be under.500 right now. and is ERA over 5, is proof).

When your rotation sucks, and your BP sucks (which outside of Papelbon, it has) you're going to have a tough time making the playoffs.

Phins28
08-20-2006, 02:03 PM
It's all over for the Pink Sox.

Ray Finkle
08-20-2006, 04:19 PM
It's all over for the Pink Sox.

Probably, however IF they can win the next 2 games vs. NY then they still have a chance. The race is still far from over but it isn't looking good at all for them.

Ray Finkle
08-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Probably. The only good starying pitcher they've got is Schilling (let's face it, if it wasn't for the run support, Beckett would be under.500 right now. and is ERA over 5, is proof).

When your rotation sucks, and your BP sucks (which outside of Papelbon, it has) you're going to have a tough time making the playoffs.

Disagree. Beckett has only won 1 game in which he's given up 5 runs. The other 12 wins came when he limited the other team to 3 earned runs or less. The games he won he's been lights out pretty much. The games he lost he's gotten killed, that's why his ERA is so high.

But you're right about everything else you posted.

ChambersWI
08-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Disagree. Beckett has only won 1 game in which he's given up 5 runs. The other 12 wins came when he limited the other team to 3 earned runs or less. The games he won he's been lights out pretty much. The games he lost he's gotten killed, that's why his ERA is so high.

But you're right about everything else you posted.

don't get me wrong, I love Josh and wish him the best, but he has become severly overrated.

This year his fastball has been flat, he has trouble controlling his curve, and he doesn't use his changeup as much because of his blister problem. So he's basically using a fastball in the AL; which will get you killed. He also walked 9 guys in 5 innings yesterday; not good. He needs to stop trying to strike everybody out, and just get people out. If he pitches like this nexy year, he's be crucified by the media.

The Sox also need to sure up the rotation. Wells is a shell of his former self, Clement is out for awhile, and Lester has proven that he needs more time in the minors. Wakefield is coming back, but he's been pretty bad this year.

Right now, Lester and Beckett have trouble going 6 IP, so that's 4 to 5 innings of a horrible BP.

Rumors right now are that the Sox are thinking about moving Papelbon into the rotation and giving Timlin the closers role.

Bottomline, The Sox need someone other than Schilling to step up.

MikeO
08-20-2006, 07:35 PM
2 things.

1) Beckett has made a career off a 2003 playoff run. Granted it was a great run, but remove that from his resume for a minute, and look at the rest of his career and he has done nothing!!!

2) If Boston doesn't win tonight with Schillling, then stick a fork in them. Boston must approach this Sunday Night game as GAME 7 of the WS. If they can't end a losing streak at home with their "ace" on the hill in late August vs the team in front of them in the standings, then their season is over.

If they win tonight and tomorrow then they are very much alive still.

ChambersWI
08-20-2006, 07:41 PM
what's funny is Beckett wasn't even the best pitcher in the 03 playoffs. Penny was the best pitcher during the series.

FIN-IN-RI
08-20-2006, 07:42 PM
don't get me wrong, I love Josh and wish him the best, but he has become severly overrated.

This year his fastball has been flat, he has trouble controlling his curve, and he doesn't use his changeup as much because of his blister problem. So he's basically using a fastball in the AL; which will get you killed. He also walked 9 guys in 5 innings yesterday; not good. He needs to stop trying to strike everybody out, and just get people out. If he pitches like this nexy year, he's be crucified by the media.

The Sox also need to sure up the rotation. Wells is a shell of his former self, Clement is out for awhile, and Lester has proven that he needs more time in the minors. Wakefield is coming back, but he's been pretty bad this year.

Right now, Lester and Beckett have trouble going 6 IP, so that's 4 to 5 innings of a horrible BP.

Rumors right now are that the Sox are thinking about moving Papelbon into the rotation and giving Timlin the closers role.

Oh Becketts been throwing his change-up alright. His 89-91 mph change-up. :nono:

About moving Papelbon to the rotation now, I don't know if that is such a good idea to have him going from pitching ~20 pitches ~every day to ~100 pitches once a week. I want him to be in the rotation next year without a doubt but I think that he may need this offseason to build himself back up as a starter.

MikeO
08-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Oh Becketts been throwing his change-up alright. His 89-91 mph change-up. :nono:

About moving Papelbon to the rotation now, I don't know if that is such a good idea to have him going from pitching ~20 pitches ~every day to ~100 pitches once a week. I want him to be in the rotation next year without a doubt but I think that he may need this offseason to build himself back up as a starter.

You can't make that move now. For one you won't have a closer. And second of all, you can't have a guy go from Feb till Sep throwing 1 inning and then ask him to give ya 6 or more and be a starter. That's insane.

Phins28
08-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Probably, however IF they can win the next 2 games vs. NY then they still have a chance. The race is still far from over but it isn't looking good at all for them.

I agree, Boston needs to win the next two if they don't it's all over.

FIN-IN-RI
08-20-2006, 08:02 PM
You can't make that move now. For one you won't have a closer. And second of all, you can't have a guy go from Feb till Sep throwing 1 inning and then ask him to give ya 6 or more and be a starter. That's insane.

Yep.

guatemalanfan
08-20-2006, 08:21 PM
I Hope They Lose Today.. Go Yankees

Ray Finkle
08-20-2006, 08:58 PM

I agree 100%.

Beckett needs to learn how to pitch. He can't blow fastballs by people, this isn't the NL.

Ray Finkle
08-20-2006, 08:59 PM
2 things.

1) Beckett has made a career off a 2003 playoff run. Granted it was a great run, but remove that from his resume for a minute, and look at the rest of his career and he has done nothing!!!

2) If Boston doesn't win tonight with Schillling, then stick a fork in them. Boston must approach this Sunday Night game as GAME 7 of the WS. If they can't end a losing streak at home with their "ace" on the hill in late August vs the team in front of them in the standings, then their season is over.

If they win tonight and tomorrow then they are very much alive still.

You're absolutely right. He needs to do something else now. 2003 was 3 years ago, he hasn't done anything before or after that. He has a ton of potential but isn't using all of his abilities yet.

Motion
08-21-2006, 06:07 AM
Well on second thought.......