PDA

View Full Version : Marino's Records Safe? Favre Retiring?

Gardenhead
08-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Brett Favre has called a press confrence for today. Usually, players don't call for press confrences in the middle of the week during preseason unless something big is up.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/08/15/2/

I know records were meant to be broken, but Marino's 420 TDs is special to me.

FrankP
08-16-2006, 11:26 AM
I agree, that is huge news... Thanks for the info!

Gardenhead
08-16-2006, 11:27 AM
I can't take credit for the scoop. Its been posted on footballoutsiders and PFT already.

ih8brady
08-16-2006, 11:27 AM
It would be awesome if he retired, call me selfish but I want Dan the Man to keep his records!

Gardenhead
08-16-2006, 11:28 AM
It would be awesome if he retired, call me selfish but I want Dan the Man to keep his records!

Agreed.

Its totally selfish, but that's how I feel.

FrankP
08-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Agreed.

So do I! :dolphins:

Troysif
08-16-2006, 11:37 AM
me 2!

BLB13
08-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Agreed.

I have always felt that way also. I think Favre is great but I still never thought he could carry a team the way Marino did. Marino is more deserving
of those records considering he never had a running game to take the load
off his shoulders.

phinfan13/34
08-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Same here, Brett is a great QB and cant take anything away from what he's done, but i want Marino's records to be safe.

VanDolPhan
08-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Considering how bad his OL is I cannot blame him. The Chargers had their way with him.

Gardenhead
08-16-2006, 11:43 AM
I have always felt that way also. I think Favre is great but I still never thought he could carry a team the way Marino did. Marino is more deserving
of those records considering he never had a running game to take the load
off his shoulders.

Marino deserves the records and Favre does not?

It seems to me that whoever breaks a record deserves the record. If Brett plays this year, and breaks the record, he then deserves the record.

CD13
08-16-2006, 11:43 AM
I really don't think he would go out this way. I would be surprised.

Captain Lou
08-16-2006, 11:45 AM

It doesn't matter Manning will break them all, it's just a matter of time.

@@@
08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
I'd be stunned if Favre retires at this stage

dkenned1
08-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will hold a news conference at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.

There's no indication at this point what the legendary Packer quarterback is going to announce. The Packers lost their first preseason game of the year by two touchdowns to the San Diego Chargers.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S18242.html?cat=7

PFT says this is a normal weekly press conference

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

FrankP
08-16-2006, 11:51 AM
I'd be stunned if Favre retires at this stage

Well, as much as I would like him to retire for the said reasons, I am starting to believe like you... I do not want to imagine why the press conference, but, if he were retiring, all the football media would be on it... right now, nobody is saying anything...

prolific
08-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Brett Favre has called a press confrence for today. Usually, players don't call for press confrences in the middle of the week during preseason unless something big is up.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/08/15/2/

I know records were meant to be broken, but Marino's 420 TDs is special to me.

Actually according to ESPN Brett scheduled this press conference weeks ago sort of a "state of the union address" for packer fans. He doesn'e speak to the media during TC so he uses these press conferences as a way to talk to fans.

If you believe what ESPN says

Show Me Your TDs
08-16-2006, 11:54 AM
well its only a matter of time until Peyton Manning breaks all of Marino's records. He's the modern day verison of Marino.

Shamboubou
08-16-2006, 11:55 AM
You mean the Favre that said earlier in the year this is the best team that he's ever been apart of. :shakeno:

Favre was a heck of a play and a really tuff guy, but he wasn't the QB that Dan was.

I'll never forget though that game he played after his dad died, and he came out the next night and just let it up. That is my best Brett Favre memory. Truly an inspiration.

NathanHunt
08-16-2006, 12:17 PM
You mean the Favre that said earlier in the year this is the best team that he's ever been apart of. :shakeno:

Favre was a heck of a play and a really tuff guy, but he wasn't the QB that Dan was.

I'll never forget though that game he played after his dad died, and he came out the next night and just let it up. That is my best Brett Favre memory. Truly an inspiration.

Not to take away from Favre (and I watched the game and also regard it highly), but the receivers that night went above and beyond. The whole offense truly answered the call.

SpurzN703
08-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, as much as I would like him to retire for the said reasons, I am starting to believe like you... I do not want to imagine why the press conference, but, if he were retiring, all the football media would be on it... right now, nobody is saying anything...

Well my local radio station has been talking about it, so at least someone else outside of Green Bay has heard about it.

We'll just wait and see I guess

Sofa_King_Drunk
08-16-2006, 12:22 PM
From Rotoworld-

"Speculation regarding Brett Favre's possible retirement Wednesday appear to be false.

A Minnesota television station speculated that Favre could announcing his retirement at a surprise press conference, but didn't realize he usually meets with the media on Wednesdays."

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/home_NFL.aspx

Baxter
08-16-2006, 12:24 PM
well its only a matter of time until Peyton Manning breaks all of Marino's records. He's the modern day verison of Marino. I hope Manning wins a SB though I dont want to see him go through what Dan did.

endorPHINS72
08-16-2006, 12:43 PM
As long as Kyle Boller is in the league, Danny's records will never be safe...LMAO!

Pocoloco
08-16-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm watching the press conference. The guy isn't retiring, he's just fielding routine questions about the play of his offensive line

aquawave
08-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Hes not retiring, just talking about the season....boring.

feelthepain
08-16-2006, 01:06 PM
It's just your run of the mill press conference, he's just answering questions. This is not a retirement speech.

Prime Time
08-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Imagine If he retires...GB would be crazy...

Urlithani
08-16-2006, 01:25 PM
I don't think Favre will break Marino's records, since Marino doesn't hold the record for most INT's.

fins5423
08-16-2006, 01:54 PM
I would be surprised if farve broke that record, farve might brake another record.....most INTS, now that wouldnt surprise me

Alex44
08-16-2006, 02:07 PM
I would be surprised if farve broke that record, farve might brake another record.....most INTS, now that wouldnt surprise me

You dont think Brett can throw 20+ TDs :rolleyes:

Majpain
08-16-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry he is a selfish player.He screwed the Packers this year...

Alex44
08-16-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry he is a selfish player.He screwed the Packers this year...

Its not like he cant play anymore he still can, and they have been really disappointed in Rodgers so far

3rd and long
08-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Favre has been good. But Dan was the greatest passer of all-time. Favre getting this close is more telling of his consistency and toughness to avoid injuries. I would hate to see him pass Marino.

Majpain
08-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Its not like he cant play anymore he still can, and they have been really disappointed in Rodgers so far

I know he can play but behind that O-line he has no hope.

poppy
08-16-2006, 03:06 PM
well its only a matter of time until Peyton Manning breaks all of Marino's records. He's the modern day verison of Marino.

B.S.! Marino never had the weapons Manning did. Can you imagine what Marino would have done with a back like the Edge? Marino got further with less talent around him than Manning ever did. Manning can't hold a candle to Marino's comeback and 4th quarter winning drive stats. Furthermore, the Colts have a better D than The Dolphins did during Marino's prime. It annoys me when people refer to Manning as the new Marino.

P.S. Marino's 48 TD season was far more impressive than Manning's 49. How many of those TD passes were shuttle passes to the RB within the 5 yard line? 5?, 6?

fins5423
08-16-2006, 03:25 PM
You dont think Brett can throw 20+ TDs :rolleyes:

Who is going to catch the ball? Donald Driver?? Samkon Gado? the Packers are going to suck this year...I have a feeling Brett will get hurt or he will just suck so much like last year and get benched

Dolfan984
08-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Brett already has more career INTs than Dan, so anything else Brett does in his career is overshadowed by those INTs when you compare him to someone like Marino.

dominizzo
08-16-2006, 04:39 PM
FAvre will play and he needs 20+ TDs to beat MArino record which can be out of reach

Majpain
08-16-2006, 08:35 PM
How long was Marino in the leauge for?is it 12?I dont remember.

Alex44
08-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Who is going to catch the ball? Donald Driver?? Samkon Gado? the Packers are going to suck this year...I have a feeling Brett will get hurt or he will just suck so much like last year and get benched

They wont bench Brett even if he throws 40 INTs

The year before last he threw 30 TD's and 17 INT's (or something close to that)

Last year 20 TD's to 29 INTs

The only difference was last year the line didnt block, this year they will be improved in that area and every other aspect of the game. He will break the record

Alex44
08-16-2006, 08:44 PM
17 years

83 till 2000 Im pretty sure

ih8brady
08-16-2006, 09:20 PM
17 years

83 till 2000 Im pretty sure

83-99, 242 games played

BF= 92-06(so far), 225 games played

Vertical Limit
08-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Brett will break the record in Week 13 against the New York Jets in Lambeau Field, and Lambeau Field will go crazy. The Jets will give up like 7 TD's that game, and we will get pissed and flame them in the Depths of the Sea sub forum, and the Jets will use the "We did that on purpose for Brett can beat Dan's record HAHAHAHA" excuse.

I can see it now..

Mike13
08-16-2006, 10:15 PM

Exactly and it doesn't help that Favre is going down hill, fast.

Alex44
08-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Brett will break the record in Week 13 against the New York Jets in Lambeau Field, and Lambeau Field will go crazy. The Jets will give up like 7 TD's that game, and we will get pissed and flame them in the Depths of the Sea sub forum, and the Jets will use the "We did that on purpose for Brett can beat Dan's record HAHAHAHA" excuse.

I can see it now..

:lol:

I hope he breaks the record, guess im the only one

Vertical Limit
08-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Actually, I want Brett to break the record too. It will be a great moment in football history, plus he will likely retire then, on top.

Unfortunately for Brett, he doesn't have a good team to have an Elway type of retirement, but breaking the record will be atleast something positive.

Alex44
08-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Actually, I want Brett to break the record too. It will be a great moment in football history, plus he will likely retire then, on top.

Unfortunately for Brett, he doesn't have a good team to have an Elway type of retirement, but breaking the record will be atleast something positive.

I think everyone seems to think that people will start calling Brett the best QB ever if he breaks teh record, I dont think they will

He is definitly a top 7 QB and I dont think there are many (if any) that match his intensity

When you think Green Bay you think Brett, he deserves the record.

finfansince72
08-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Farve is just hanging on for the records, I just dont like to see that. Greenbay stinks and so does Farve. Marino was so desperate to win a Superbowl he stayed in playing on that bad leg going through injuries, JJ's nonsense just to get that ring. Farve is just hanging on now for the records. Anyone that would comeback from a 29int year where they were obviously hurting the team and done for just to break records is a complete Ahole. Farve needs to retire, if for no other reason than so we are not subjected to one more damn John Madden called game with him at Qb. "You know Farve plays the game the way its supposed to played" or Joe Theisman calling a game where after Farves 3rd INT hes explaining through replay how the receiver should have broken through triple coverage, dove 10 yards in the air and swatted the ball away. Always the receivers fault when Farve in playing.
And Brett. Speak your damn name the right way.

dominizzo
08-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Farve is just hanging on for the records, I just dont like to see that. Greenbay stinks and so does Farve. Marino was so desperate to win a Superbowl he stayed in playing on that bad leg going through injuries, JJ's nonsense just to get that ring. Farve is just hanging on now for the records. Anyone that would comeback from a 29int year where they were obviously hurting the team and done for just to break records is a complete Ahole. Farve needs to retire, if for no other reason than so we are not subjected to one more damn John Madden called game with him at Qb. "You know Farve plays the game the way its supposed to played" or Joe Theisman calling a game where after Farves 3rd INT hes explaining through replay how the receiver should have broken through triple coverage, dove 10 yards in the air and swatted the ball away. Always the receivers fault when Farve in playing.

You gottta respect Favre!! hes on e of the best Qbs of all time!! hes a class act

Alex44
08-17-2006, 12:20 AM

:shakeno:

Thats just disrespectful its his choice to retire whenever he wants to.

He can say his name however he wants, you cant tell him how to pronounce it, in fact if anyone says it right its him

Vertical Limit
08-17-2006, 09:00 AM
Favre is the most competitive QB to play the game. Some can make an arguement for John Elway, but I truely love watching Brett Favre play. This guy has given up his body and soul on every down, fought through all injuries in his entire football career.

I read once about Favre going through a serious injury back in college, he severely damaged his intestines on a car wreck and the doctors had to cut off about 30 inches of his small intestine, but went back to the field 3 weeks later and lead Southern Miss to an upset win over Alabama.

This guy is the true iron man. He will keep fighting untill he feels it's over. He deserves Marino's record to list them on Top of his many other accomplishments. IMO, he will go down as Top 3 QB's to ever play the game, alongside with Marino and Elway.

I beleive he still has a few great games left in the tank, and the Green Bay Packers has a fairly easy schedule this season.

finfansince72
08-17-2006, 10:14 AM
:shakeno:

Thats just disrespectful its his choice to retire whenever he wants to.

He can say his name however he wants, you cant tell him how to pronounce it, in fact if anyone says it right its him

Ofcourse its his choice, its his choice to tarnish his name too. Im sick of Farve, he was god awful last year and everyone kept making excuses for him and it was absurd. He is hurting his team by coming back. Thats whats sad. He doesnt need to comeback, his team has no shot at winning, hes already won a superbowl, his legacy is secure, why comeback? Its just the records hes after and thats sad IMO. You dont comeback when youre hurting your team and nothing like you once were to add 20 more tds to your record so u can be number one. Thats BS.

Roman529
08-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Records are meant to be broken. I am sure Peyton Manning will have almost all of the records after he retires...as long as he does not get hurt. I still think Dan is the best ever and will always feel this way.

ih8brady
08-17-2006, 11:24 PM

I agree completely. The way announcers make excuses for his mistakes are crap. You know those "Chuck Norris Facts" on the internet? Subsitute Chuck Norris with Brett Favre, and you're well on your way to becoming an announcer.

Atila
08-19-2006, 06:17 AM
you are guys are blind.

favre holding on for records? i dont think so...the guy truely still loves the game, everyone knows that.

you guys are pretty illogical bringing up the 29int season as an excuse to retire.

uh, hello? are you kidding?

if ANYTHING, the 29int season is excuse to come back and show he can leave the game on top.

you really think he wants to go out with his last season being the way it was?

do any of you really want him to go out that way anyways?

he's playing cuz he still enjoys the game, and because he wants to show he can still compete, and the 29int season wasnt ****.

Alex44
08-19-2006, 06:20 AM
Ofcourse its his choice, its his choice to tarnish his name too. Im sick of Farve, he was god awful last year and everyone kept making excuses for him and it was absurd. He is hurting his team by coming back. Thats whats sad. He doesnt need to comeback, his team has no shot at winning, hes already won a superbowl, his legacy is secure, why comeback? Its just the records hes after and thats sad IMO. You dont comeback when youre hurting your team and nothing like you once were to add 20 more tds to your record so u can be number one. Thats BS.

Your cant say why someone is coming back, you arent in his head, you have no clue what he is thinking. So dont pretend like you do

finfansince72
08-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Your cant say why someone is coming back, you arent in his head, you have no clue what he is thinking. So dont pretend like you do
And you do? You can't say why hes coming back if I can't right? Its my opinion that hes a chump and coming back for the records. Dude Farve was absolutely terrible last year, he hurt his team night in and night out. He was one of the worst Qbs in the league last year. The great ones dont comeback to go through that again.