PDA

View Full Version : Picking a system

Dolfan2788
08-17-2006, 05:26 AM
I have a problem. I'm going to buy a system in 2 months and can't relaly decide for myself what I should get; the Xbox 360 or the PS3.

I live in Australia and the PS3 comes out November 17 and i'm hoping for a price drop of the XBox from $650. The PS3 is going to be $1000.

I'm not really educated about the systems either so from people with knowledge i'd like to know what I should get.

Motion
08-17-2006, 08:34 AM
:confused: Wow, whats the exhange rate from Australia money to US dollars?

UltraDol-Fan
08-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Well, for me I like XBox live alot, there is no way that I wasn't going to get Halo 3, so 360 was my only choice. For me PS3 really doesn't have a game I can't live without.

Bruzer
08-17-2006, 10:27 AM
See I like sony for the fact most of the time they have better known titles overall will that be the same for this next gen I don't know. Reason I am waiting on either system is xbox is cheaper but ps3 has games i can't live without such as mgs. Xbox I don't like halo to overrated for me so that doesn't sell the xbox for me they have to do better.

Troysif
08-17-2006, 12:26 PM
go with the 360 man, the ps3 may have more memory but the 360 has so many more features and is CHEAPER,

Motion
08-17-2006, 12:40 PM
go with the 360 man, the ps3 may have more memory but the 360 has so many more features and is CHEAPER,

Such as?

Motion
08-17-2006, 12:41 PM
IMO, you should wait til PS3 comes out and checkout the available game lineup for both and make your decision then.

And one big reason to wait is to see Sony's new revamped online community, that hopefully for them is much improved.

mor911
08-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Oh jeez... Here we go.

IDEA!! How about we simply put objective pros for the system you're backing, and let the op pick himself. This way there isn't any "go get a 360" or "go get a PS3" because that leads to arguements... And I hope that wasn't the op's intention.

UltraDol-Fan
08-17-2006, 02:16 PM
good games - both sytems
multiplayer - XBox is better IMO
power - PS3?
controller - XBox
Price - XBox
Game development - XBox has a 1 year head start

arsenal
08-17-2006, 02:37 PM
i have always been a PS guy, but i just got an xbox360 cause i feel with the headstart its in a good position to be better than the PS3...

like when the xbox first came out there were issues with games not developed properly for it, and bugs here and there.... i think that'll be the same situation with the ps3, so i wouldn't wanna get that for a fwe months after the initial release...

so i got tired of waiting and just got the xbox 360... sorry sony

Motion
08-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Oh jeez... Here we go.

IDEA!! How about we simply put objective pros for the system you're backing, and let the op pick himself. This way there isn't any "go get a 360" or "go get a PS3" because that leads to arguements... And I hope that wasn't the op's intention.
I wasn't trying to start a heated debate or anything, just trying to get someone to elaborate on their comments in the intent of informing the OP of the pros and cons of each system. That, and I myself am interested to hear the "so many more features" that they were referring too. :wink:

Dol-Fan Dupree
08-17-2006, 02:56 PM
good games - both sytems
multiplayer - XBox is better IMO
power - PS3?
controller - XBox
Price - XBox
Game development - XBox has a 1 year head start

How is the xbox better at multiplayer? How can you know that?

I would wait until the PS3 is actually out

I would also wait for a game that you have to play.

mor911
08-17-2006, 02:59 PM
I wasn't trying to start a heated debate or anything, just trying to get someone to elaborate on their comments in the intent of informing the OP of the pros and cons of each system. That, and I myself am interested to hear the "so many more features" that they were referring too. :wink:
That wasn't directed at you bro. You're one of the fairest (is that a word?) posters on this board.

I just wanted to say tha before it got out of hand... Cause I've seen threads like this go haywire (I know you seen it to).

Motion
08-17-2006, 03:05 PM
That wasn't directed at you bro. You're one of the fairest (is that a word?) posters on this board.

I just wanted to say tha before it got out of hand... Cause I've seen threads like this go haywire (I know you seen it to).

:wink: Thanks! Yeah I know exactly what you mean.

Motion
08-17-2006, 03:06 PM
How is the xbox better at multiplayer? How can you know that?

I would wait until the PS3 is actually out

Good point, I'm very interested to see what kind of Online changes Sony makes for the PS3.

UltraDol-Fan
08-17-2006, 03:51 PM
It's better because it exists :lol:

xDOLPHINSx
08-17-2006, 04:44 PM
I've always been an X-box guy so I'm not going to ruin this thread by posting some homer comments. I will just say some good things about the 360.

-I really like the Menu, and how you can just press a button on the controller to reach it. You can also dl arcade games and my personal favorite...free demos. You can also customize the menu and background.

-Online is great. Friends lists and achievments come to mind, along with actual game play.

-I don't generally stray too far away from Madden and Halo based on the costs of games so its hard for me to comment on the variety of games. Oblivion is a great game, Halo 3 is coming, COD2 was a fun game. Again, I can't really comment on this, but the game selection for me on the 360 works out just fine.

-The cost hurt. Premium 360, game, and warranty was about $500+, and don't forget about the extra controller with battery packs...but then again if you're thinking about getting a PS3, this might be considered the bargain.

Overall I am happy with the 360. I am no expert, but for me it's a great machine imo. Most people knew about all of these things any way, just trying to point out some of the things I like about it.

BDC87
08-17-2006, 05:39 PM
A Small Inside Article that might help you: Oficial Playstation Mag's Editor To Skip PS3, Buy Xbox (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/official-playstation-mags-editor-to-skip-ps3-buy-xbox-193893.php)

Dolfan2788
08-17-2006, 08:25 PM
:confused: Wow, whats the exhange rate from Australia money to US dollars?

It's actually not that bad at the moment with around 1 AUS dollar buying 75 US cents. The problem is that our whole video game industry swindles the public because we are on different systems to the rest of the world and we have to buy Australian only stuff.

The average cost for a game is around $110

Thanks for the feedback, probably won't make up my mind for a bit longer.
I'm definitely going to get the online and a few games when I buy just to treat myself because I haven't played a video game at my house for a bout 2 months now because of the last year at school. At the moment i'm leaning towards the Xbox but I want to see if the PS3 is going to come out with a new FF with their launch also.

RunningBackGuru
08-17-2006, 11:00 PM
It depens what kind of games you like. If your into FPS games, XBOX has to be the way to go. Action games are probably better for PS3 titles like MGS and they also lead the way with RPG's with Final Fantasy. If price is a big issue for you, then I suggest looking into the Wii. U.S price will be around $200 and they have great series such as Zelda, Metroid, Mario and many others. But if you like playing online, XBOX is again better.

dolphinfan2k5
08-17-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm waiting for both to come out to make my decision. It's not like we know which one will be better in like 3 years right now. We won't even know when they are both out. But it will be easier to tell which one is better for you. So my advice is, if you have enough self-control(ik its hard not to cave and just get a 360), wait for both to come out, then compare them and decide which is the best for you.

Stitches
08-18-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm waiting for both to come out to make my decision. It's not like we know which one will be better in like 3 years right now. We won't even know when they are both out. But it will be easier to tell which one is better for you. So my advice is, if you have enough self-control(ik its hard not to cave and just get a 360), wait for both to come out, then compare them and decide which is the best for you.

I wanted to wait, because I've always bought sony first, but I caved. :( I couldn't wait any more for next-gen, lol. I don't want to miss out on FF games though, as they are my favorites. So I may have to get a ps3 eventually.

Dolfan984
08-18-2006, 12:51 AM
I'm going to buy a PS3 for like the worst reason ever, but I'm still getting it =/

Either is pretty good honestly.

Motion
08-18-2006, 08:50 AM
A Small Inside Article that might help you: Oficial Playstation Mag's Editor To Skip PS3, Buy Xbox (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/official-playstation-mags-editor-to-skip-ps3-buy-xbox-193893.php)

:shakeno: WTF is the Editor of OPM doing with a 12 year old 21 inch TV????? Seriously, the biggest pull for next gen consoles is that they are in HD so basically that article is about what ever is cheaper.

mor911
08-18-2006, 08:58 AM
:shakeno: WTF is the Editor of OPM doing with a 12 year old 21 inch TV????? Seriously, the biggest pull for next gen consoles is that they are in HD so basically that article is about what ever is cheaper.
That is how a lot of people make their decisions. Not Mor... He buys everything.

But that article seriously was dumb. I read it and was like "Wha?". You're knocking a system because you don't care for HD and you don't like nice sound? That's the dumbest logic I've ever seen.

UCFinfan86
08-18-2006, 09:42 AM
i also am trying to make a decision on which to get, but i dont play any games other then sports titles, so really the game title selection has no effect on my decision and i think that is what most people say he Ps3 has going for it. right?

mor911
08-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Well, people say the PS3 has raw power going for it. That's completely speculative based on what Sony says. I'm pretty sure (especially since they've had a year extra to get beter technology) the PS3 will be a more powerful machine. How much more powerful? well who knows. I'd like to say it's like comparing the current gen Xbox to the PS2. The current gen Xbox is a helluva lot more powerful than the PS2... But it's really not that different.

UltraDol-Fan
08-18-2006, 10:54 AM
that power difference is a good point. I would think that game developers would just make the game down to the lowest systems peak power to save time...I may be way off though

mor911
08-18-2006, 11:01 AM
that power difference is a good point. I would think that game developers would just make the game down to the lowest systems peak power to save time...I may be way off though
Its funny toy mentioned that. I was reading an article (quite a while ago) and people were wondering why Xbox games barely look better than PS2 games. The developer (It was the EA team that makes Madden) said that they make games (in this case Madden) so it'll run on the PS2. Then port it to the Xbox and try to make it looka little better with the extra power the Xbox offers.

So the powerful console (when it comes to multi-platform games) always seemed to suffer because they have to make the game to run on the weaker of the two. I have no doubt that a lot of PS3 games will be plagued this way. Saints Row, Madden, NCAA, Assassin's Creed, GTA4 or any cross platform title will have to be designed with the 360 in mind then ported to run on a PS3.

Usually when they make th port over, they do make a whole hearted effort (if time allows I assume) to add anything extra they can to make the more power machine's version look better.

Dol-Fan Dupree
08-18-2006, 12:22 PM

The dude has a 21 inch TV, how am I supposed to take his advice.

arsenal
08-18-2006, 12:29 PM
I wanted to wait, because I've always bought sony first, but I caved. :( I couldn't wait any more for next-gen, lol. I don't want to miss out on FF games though, as they are my favorites. So I may have to get a ps3 eventually.

same here... i couldn't wait any longer, espeically with madden coming... so now i got a 2 day old xbox 360

nevadadolfan
08-18-2006, 12:36 PM
I say why wait, get em all!! For one it looks cooler to have all consoles next to each other, Secondly you never miss a game just because its a first party title, and 3rd but not least they will all be great in there own ways so you wont miss anything. Get a 2nd job, sling some crack, sell your blood plasma, whatever you got to do, just get em all.

mor911
08-18-2006, 01:53 PM
I say why wait, get em all!! For one it looks cooler to have all consoles next to each other, Secondly you never miss a game just because its a first party title, and 3rd but not least they will all be great in there own ways so you wont miss anything. Get a 2nd job, sling some crack, sell your blood plasma, whatever you got to do, just get em all.
:yes:

That's the spirit!

Seriously though, I do understand that not everyone can afford all of the consoles coming out. For that reason, do your research. Find out what games are coming out for which systems, and when. A 360 might be right for someone else, but not you. Just like a PS3 might be right for someone else, but not you. You might be a Wii player, who knows.

I'll get them all. But I always buy what's new. If you're a Final Fantasy guy, you won't need a PS3 till late 07 or maybe 08. If your a MGS guy you won't need it till well into 07 (how well? I don't know). Until then you might want to pick up a 360. It has some good stuff. Alot of it is aquired tastes though.

Be smart, buy smart.