PDA

View Full Version : First real draft of the years - Results within

SwampDawg
08-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Had my first real draft of the new season Tuesday evening, it's a just for fun league with a bunch of guys on another board. Pretty basic scoring, including 1 pt per reception, you start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 WR/TE, 1K, 1 DL/LB, 1 DB. Overall I was fairly happy with my team, looking back over it I might do one or two things differently but overall I should be competitive. 12 teams. i had the #8 pick.

Starters in Bold

QB - Drew Bledsoe, Jake Plummer
RB - Ronnie Brown, Brian Westbrook, Frank Gore, Marion Barber
WR - Randy Moss, Donald Driver, Derrick Mason, Antonio Bryant, Roddy White
TE - Kellen Winslow, Zach Hilton
K - Lawrence Tynes, Rob Bironas
DL - Jonathon Vilma, Brian Urlacher
DB - Adrian Wilson

FINFAN_4_EVER
08-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Had my first real draft of the new season Tuesday evening, it's a just for fun league with a bunch of guys on another board. Pretty basic scoring, including 1 pt per reception, you start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 WR/TE, 1K, 1 DL/LB, 1 DB. Overall I was fairly happy with my team, looking back over it I might do one or two things differently but overall I should be competitive. 12 teams. i had the #8 pick.

Starters in Bold

QB - Drew Bledsoe, Jake Plummer
RB - Ronnie Brown, Brian Westbrook, Frank Gore, Marion Barber
WR - Randy Moss, Donald Driver, Derrick Mason, Antonio Bryant, Roddy White
TE - Kellen Winslow, Zach Hilton
K - Lawrence Tynes, Rob Bironas
DL - Jonathon Vilma, Brian Urlacher
DB - Adrian Wilson

hey man i also has the 8th pick in a 12 teamer:wink:

Pretty avverage team if you ask me.

QB situation good 8.3/10
RB situation sub-par 7.4/10
risky WRs 7.2/10
TE is good 7.8
could do alot better with your K's 7
great Lbs although i would start urlacher 8.9
DBs are good too 7.6

overall i see u coming in as high as 7th place and as low as last

but dont get me wrong , some of those players could have a breakout year

SwampDawg
08-17-2006, 07:11 PM
hey man i also has the 8th pick in a 12 teamer:wink:

Pretty avverage team if you ask me.

QB situation good 8.3/10
RB situation sub-par 7.4/10
risky WRs 7.2/10
TE is good 7.8
could do alot better with your K's 7
great Lbs although i would start urlacher 8.9
DBs are good too 7.6

overall i see u coming in as high as 7th place and as low as last

but dont get me wrong , some of those players could have a breakout year
Interesting analysis, I feel the need to rebuke a few points.

QB's - actually I'm a little worried about them more so then some other things, Bledsoe has the upside this year but the TO situation is already starting off bad and could drag him down. Plummer is a average fantasy QB at best but I waited a little long and pickings were slime.

RB's - Depth is lacking no doubt, but in a point per reception league I think the starters are solid, at 8 Ronnie is pretty much were most people project him, looking at yards and td leagues, the others around him are Rudi Johnson, Caddillac, and Edge. I think Ronnie gets 40 to 45 catches this year, Rudi and Caddillac maybe around 20 and Edge about 35, that means that Rudi or Cadillac would need a combined 200 yards more then Ronnie to score more fantasy points. Same thing at the RB 2, Westbrook will catch 60 balls, other guys going around the same spot, Willie Parker, McGahee, and Droughns will all easily out rush Westbrook, but combined yards rushing and recieving they'll be pretty close, again the receptions will be the difference. Gore is a bit of a risk as a RB3 but just a gut feel that he'll have a good year.

WR's - Moss late in round 3 isn't value ? If you think he won't be a top 8 WR I'd like to know who you think will be ahead of him. Driver is anything but risky in my eyes, in fact I took him over a few guys like Plaxico and Dion Branch because Driver is a steady WR who will catch 80-85 balls for 1100 yards and 6 or 7 TDs like clock work. Versus a Plaxico that could be huge but could end up in the coaches doghouse as well. Mason steady WR3 drafted around guys like Rod Smith and Eddie Kennison.

TE - Winlsow could be huge, or could be out week 2, this position has me a little worried and I waited a little too long.

K - Sorry, last position I will draft and are a crap shoot, did anyone expect Neil Rackers to be the top fantasy kicker last year ? Most had him ranked down in middle to mottom third.

DL - Vilma and Urlacher, either could be the #1 DL

DB - Wilson is a tackling machine at safety.

I will make you a finheaven signature bet that this team finishes in the top 6 guarunteed. I suspect it will be in the top 4 and contend, a lot will depend on who is hot in the playoffs.

Kdawg954
08-17-2006, 08:20 PM
I think u are hyping up ya team a lil too much tho. I don't really like ure QB situation at all. I mean just my opinion . . . I never liked Bledsoe in fantasy or Plummer. RB's is ehhh, I luv ure 3 backs and the 4th one is nice to have also. But these guys are ALL injury prone possibilities . . I mean me being a Dolphin fan I hope Ronnie is a workhorse, but I would be really concerned at RB. WR is better, i was liking Moss, but after watching Brooks first preseason game, I really really really hope he looks better than that . . Driver like u said should be a fairly consistent pick, me peronsally I would have taken Plax, but thats just me, I like that you stuck to ure guns and chose the guy u feel is gonna do good. Mason with Mcnair is something I have been really starting to come around to, could be one of the fantasy suprises this year. I also like ure last 2 picks, good depth. Your Defense is probably the best its gonna get, Vilma and Ulracher, geez man . . and Wilson will do his thing in the secondary.

TE sucks for u, I mean by lookin at ure D, I know why (u waited and went D), so its not terrible, but man Winslow and Hilton, talk about taking 2 sleepers, its like u are just rolling the dice, hoping for the best . . hope it works for u. I like the Tynes pick, I think he might pull out a nice year in KC, he should definetly get alot of XP opps.

Overall, I mean, I don't know, its like the problem with most fantasy teams, alot of ifs . . if Bledsoe and TO get chemistry and if bledsoe gets better protection, if ure RB's stay healthy, etc. Of course u feel good about it, and u are gonna defend ure selections . . I just hope it turns out like u want. GL

SwampDawg
08-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Kdawg, I pretty much agree with your assessment. I think the biggest risk I have is the RB's staying healthy but that is the case for most people. I'm a little more confident in Bledsoe then you, even without TO last year he put up decebt numbers, by biggest concern is TO doing what he did to the Eagles and tearing the offense apart. The TE's I know are bot sleepers, but I waited a little too long and a run took the more sure fire top 8 guys so my thinking was pretty much what you said, take the top D players and hope at least one of the two sleepers pan out. I actually like Winslow a lot if he stays healthy.

Mile High Fin
08-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I think you have a pretty balanced team for a 12-team league.

You will contend, barring injury, of course.

You're right about your RB's getting receptions........so many people underestimate the value of that in leagues that give points for receptions.
It gives RBs like Ronnie Brown and Brian Westbrook a built-in edge over other RBs. That's why I have LT rated higher than LJ or SA for my league.

You have 2 solid starting RBs. And Gore's a decent #3, and could have a breakout year (ie, 1,100 yards, 7 TDs). If Julius Jones gets hurt (not uncommon), then Barber suddenly has a lot of value...

Your WRs are fine. I'm not a big R.Moss fan, but he's solid, although a little more risky than some others.... Driver/Mason will be steady and solid, but probably not spectacular.......but that's fine for your #2-3 WRs. I'd bet your 3 WRs, as a whole, will outscore most other teams' 3 WRs...

QB is fine. Bledsoe will be about the #8-10 fantasy QB. So, you have an "average" starting QB (as 7 others will probably have a better starting QB).

TE is risky. Winslow's probably going to do OK. Not spectacular, not terrible.

K is fine. Tynes is a Top 7 kicker I bet. But, who cares.... Only a few points will separate the Top 3 from the Top 12.... it's a crap shoot anyway.

I don't know about the Defense.... You seem to have good picks there.

I'd say you'll be Top 6 in your league....

SwampDawg
10-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Just an update on this team that FINFAN_4_EVER had finishing 7th at best, currently 5-0 and the second most points scored in the league. RB's are currently the 1st (Westbrook), 2nd (Gore), and 6th (Brown) ranked RB's in the league. WR's are middle of the road but I have added Jericho Cotchery dropping Roddy White and he along with Driver and Bryant are within 5 to 10 points of all being in the top 10. Winslow is the number two TE only to Colston who is listed as a TE on Yahoo but actually playing as a WR. Wilson is the number two DB. As suspected the weak spot has been QB, but I have a claim in on Farve (who was just cut and is the #7 rated QB), if I don't get him I may pick up Alex Smith, dropping Plummer in either case.

SwampDawg
12-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Just a final update on this team. It changed a little over the year, picked up Farve and Garcia off waivers to play QB. Traded Westbrook and Moss for Houshmanzedeh and Dunn. Made the playoffs as the #3 seed and lost round one but cam back nice this week to win the third place game. I was really hurt losing Ronnie down the stretch and having to start Dunn who was dinged up along with sleeper stud Gore. Overall a pretty successfull team.

Of course cruising to the championship in my $ league makes losing this one a little easier. But to the doubters who had it as a 7th place team at best :sidelol:

Metal Panda
12-25-2006, 02:56 PM
gonna assume, without reading in advance, that the dude won a championship.

Other than the QB position (and who could have predicted BOTH would be benched), some solid talent there.