PDA

View Full Version : Is Iraqs lesson good or bad for N. Korea?

PhinPhan1227
04-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Ok, I'm assuming SOME degree of intelligence by the N. Korean leadership which is idiotic on my part...but I'm an incurable optimist. N. Korea SHOULD have learned from Iraq that numerical superiority of conventional forces is FAR outweighed by technological superiority. An invasion of South Korea by North Korea would almost surely result in the destruction of N. Korean forces. The question I have is, does this lesson bode well, or ill for getting them to abandon their nuclear program? In the short term, I could see where that lesson would drive the N. Koreans to pursue nukes since that would be their only truly effective weapon. In the long run however, they must know that while the chances of invasion are slim, America will certainly resort to any other means needed to insure that N. Korea backs off. A nuke plant is just too easy to wipe out. Problem is, that assumes SOME kind of long term vision by the N. Korean leadership, and if they showed any of that, it would be the first time.

themole
04-18-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Ok, I'm assuming SOME degree of intelligence by the N. Korean leadership which is idiotic on my part...but I'm an incurable optimist. N. Korea SHOULD have learned from Iraq that numerical superiority of conventional forces is FAR outweighed by technological superiority. An invasion of South Korea by North Korea would almost surely result in the destruction of N. Korean forces. The question I have is, does this lesson bode well, or ill for getting them to abandon their nuclear program? In the short term, I could see where that lesson would drive the N. Koreans to pursue nukes since that would be their only truly effective weapon. In the long run however, they must know that while the chances of invasion are slim, America will certainly resort to any other means needed to insure that N. Korea backs off. A nuke plant is just too easy to wipe out. Problem is, that assumes SOME kind of long term vision by the N. Korean leadership, and if they showed any of that, it would be the first time.

1227...If... and that's a big if..Won Hung Lo... Hung Chow...or Kim Cum Now... whatever... the leader of N.Koreas name is... had even a smidgen of sense he would take notice of what just happened in Iraq. Unfortunately he is a tyrant, and despot. For some reason these types seem to have to learn their lessons the HARD way. Actually if you can remember Nikita Khruzchev, and the ploys of the Soviet Union during the cold war you will remember the communist always acted like this. Scream and yell and pitch all manner of hell until they got their way or a major concession. At any rate they just witnessed BRUTE STRENGHT and I believe they will quieten down some. OHH...they will continue to pursue it secretly.