PDA

View Full Version : Ward uncertain about week 1 status

vinlakers22
08-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Hines Ward is not confident that he will be ready for opening day against the Phins. http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_467213.html

jesuscakes
08-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Well we already know they can't run on us so now they can't pass as well. It seems we will be winning quite easily come opening week if Ward sits out.

aquawave
08-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Well we already know they can't run on us so now they can't pass as well. It seems we will be winning quite easily come opening week if Ward sits out.

Well, its not going to be easy at all, but we have a pretty good shot, cant wait till the regular season starts!

Motion
08-23-2006, 01:01 PM
:( I want them 100%! No excuses! I work with to many arrogant Steeler fans for them to have any excuses.

jesuscakes
08-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Well, its not going to be easy at all, but we have a pretty good shot, cant wait till the regular season starts!It will be because they won't be able to score and we will be able to score because Daunte is going to throw for one and rush for 2 with 200 yards rushing. :sidelol:

melvindillon
08-23-2006, 01:20 PM
I tell you what, anything that makes winning the game easier, I'll take.

a W is a W.....no doubt...we need as many as we can get.

Hipster
08-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Normally I prefer to play (and beat) a team that is full strength, but I think this gives us a good chance to win a previously unlikely-to-win game. Since it is the first game, I think a win can go a long way to setting the tone and confidence level for the rest of the season, which will be important.

Hopefully when we meet them in the playoffs, he is healthy and we beat them again. :wink:

DolfanCole
08-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Hamstrings are very particular. For him, he has to take it slowly or else it will bother him for a long time. So, I can definitely see him missing the game. If he does, I think that will definitely hurt the Steelers chances 'cause that would mean that compared to last year, they would be without Ward, Randle El and Bettis on offense. Those three were very big contributors for them last year.

Enforcerfin33
08-23-2006, 01:26 PM
good!

GCD960
08-23-2006, 01:36 PM
This sucks. Like the other poster, it would suck to beat them when they are not at 100%.

I guess we will have to get use to that cause we will probably hear that about the pats also.

Aqua4Ever04
08-23-2006, 02:49 PM
I understand why some of you guys want them at 100%, but would you rather win when they are hurt, or lose when they are 100%? I don't care who is on the field, as long as we win.

Motion
08-23-2006, 02:57 PM
I understand why some of you guys want them at 100%, but would you rather win when they are hurt, or lose when they are 100%? I don't care who is on the field, as long as we win.
WTF kinda logic is that? Of course any fan wants to win ALL the time. But I'd rather come out and beat the Super Bowl Champs at 100%. How are we gonna know how good we are or if our team is elite if the opposing team is missing key players? I want them to come out and make a statement.

diego's fins
08-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey guys look what I found http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_467213.html
Looks like ward is not gonna play against us, if that's the case then it will improve our chances of winning our 1st regular season game. the combination on of cedric wilson and santonio holmes doesn't sound scary to me.

Motion
08-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Merge

dominizzo
08-23-2006, 05:16 PM
WOOW!! Guess Big Ben will be thorwing to heath Miller most of the time

dominizzo
08-23-2006, 05:17 PM
No big deal With or without Ward we will win the game!!

MrTibbs
08-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Don't worry Ward will be playing week 1..............

Ward wants to play Friday, but prefers to be 100 percent by the opener
Wednesday, August 23, 2006

By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hines Ward, Terrell Owens and Steve Smith, as three of the top receivers in the NFL, are used to star treatment. What they all could use now is a different kind of treatment -- a tonic for what ails their troublesome hamstring injuries.

Ward's nagging injury has not developed into the daily soap opera that Owens' has in Dallas, but it's getting to the point where it's beyond a minor problem. Ward tried to practice again yesterday -- one day after "tweaking" the hamstring in practice -- and the results were not what he was hoping for.

Ward went through individual drills with the rest of the receivers early in practice, but had to beg off on other work after the hamstring did not respond when he planted and tried to cut. He was visibly upset with the setback, and the only physical thing he did the rest of practice was some light jogging under the supervision of trainer John Norwig.

"I just have to be smart," Ward said. "It's about the regular season. I'm not concerned with anything else. I'm not going to step foot [out here] unless I'm 100 percent. I don't want to keep re-aggravating it. That's not going to get me anywhere."

Ward was injured during a practice Aug. 4. He rehabilitated the injury for more than two weeks before practicing for the first time Monday. He is frustrated because he has done everything the training staff has asked and more, and the injury has not responded the way he would like.

It seems highly unlikely that Ward will play Friday in Philadelphia given this latest setback. Ward had targeted the third preseason game as a comeback date because he wanted to play with his teammates and get on the same page. Ward categorized himself as "90 percent" after practice yesterday. If he does not play against the Eagles, he would not play in the final preseason game against the Carolina Panthers, either. That might be a good time to have a conversation with Smith, the superstar receiver for the Panthers, who is going through a similar hamstring injury.

"Norwig called down to North Carolina, and the same thing is going on with Steve Smith," Ward said. "They're trying to see what he's doing. It is frustrating because I'm doing everything they ask me to do. It's still not healing up the way I want it. The recovery time is not what I want. But it's a hamstring. It can go two weeks to four weeks. I just have to play it smart and not force it. I really wanted to play in this game. If it feels better tomorrow I'll give it a shot. If not, I just have to prepare for the regular season.

"I can walk, do everything. But when I come out here and plant and burst off, that's when I feel it. When you're feeling that it's not 100 percent ... I'm not going to force myself. If I keep coming out here and re-aggravating it, it will never get better."

While Ward is clearly bothered by the lack of progress, the coaching staff does not seem ready to push the panic button. Ward's injury is being called a strain. An MRI did not show a tear or even a slight pull. Coach Bill Cowher is telling the Super Bowl XL MVP to take the cautious approach, to let time aid in the healing.

"It's a very frustrating injury as you can see around the league," Cowher said. "It's very hard to put any kind of time frame for these things. He came out [Monday] and did some work. And I don't think he set himself back, but we just have to be careful. You don't want to re-injure it or set it back.

"We're going to take it day to day. I told him to just be patient and go through the process."

Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt said it would not be a big deal if Ward had to miss the final two preseason games. Ward did not practice much last preseason because of his contract holdout, and it didn't have an impact on his level of play during the season.

"I think he's played enough games that I don't have a lot of concern about him," Whisenhunt said. "He didn't practice a lot last year in training camp and had a pretty good season. He's a pro. He knows how to get prepared. Even though we'd like to have him out there on the field, he'll be out there when the games start counting."

After yesterday's events, Ward seems to be on the same wavelength.

"It's still preseason," Ward said. "The regular season is what counts. I have to make sure I get it back to 100 percent so I can help contribute to the team."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06235/715573-66.stm (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06235/715573-66.stm)

Motion
08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Good

Mike13
08-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Yeah I want to play them when they are at 100% because if we win, I don't want to hear any excuses.

Motion
08-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Yeah I want to play them when they are at 100% because if we win, I don't want to hear any excuses.

:yeahthat:

Aqua4Ever04
08-24-2006, 04:34 PM
WTF kinda logic is that? Of course any fan wants to win ALL the time. But I'd rather come out and beat the Super Bowl Champs at 100%. How are we gonna know how good we are or if our team is elite if the opposing team is missing key players? I want them to come out and make a statement.

It's the logic that says I don't give a **** who is on the field, I just want Ws.