Finfan23
08-24-2006, 02:56 AM
Does anyone play?

Majpain
08-24-2006, 09:38 AM
whats eve?

mor911
08-24-2006, 09:43 AM
It's an MMO. Some of the guys at work here are addicted to it.

http://www.eve-online.com/

I've never played it though.

Majpain
08-24-2006, 09:59 AM
is it free? I thought it was something else. I recently tried a mmo called something similar to this. It was pure garbage.

mor911
08-24-2006, 10:19 AM
It's not free, and it's based completely in space.

ScottishFin
08-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Played this for over 3 years now , totally and utterly addicted :D

In game name is Jags , gimme a yell sometime

Dol-Fan Dupree
08-24-2006, 01:25 PM
I tried it once. Seemed to be a fun game. I just don't have MMORPG time. They take so much time.

TheMageGandalf
08-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Was thinking of trying it out once but read up on it and didnt go for it.

Everything I read basically said that it was going to be very boring since it takes a real long time for your character to develope and then its real easy to lose your ship, equipment and whatnot, thats taken you hours upon hours of hours to get, unless you roll with the right people constantly.

Like I read on one message board that one guy played the game for months, got a sweet ship finally and then one day he goes out by himself to a new system just to explore when suddenly he gets attacked by like 4 people, gets blown up, and lost all he had worked for.

One response he got was that you shouldn't explore alone and another was like you shouldn't go to such and such systems then blah, blah, blah.

That.....just plain sucks. I have to pay a monthly fee for that to happen?

No thanks.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong guys, if you like the game and are addicted more power to you. But the only way I'd play a game in which you will lose all your stuff, after all that time to get it, would be if the game was free of monthly charges ie. DIABLO 2 (hardcore).

Dol-Fan Dupree
08-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Was thinking of trying it out once but read up on it and didnt go for it.

Everything I read basically said that it was going to be very boring since it takes a real long time for your character to develope and then its real easy to lose your ship, equipment and whatnot, thats taken you hours upon hours of hours to get, unless you roll with the right people constantly.

Like I read on one message board that one guy played the game for months, got a sweet ship finally and then one day he goes out by himself to a new system just to explore when suddenly he gets attacked by like 4 people, gets blown up, and lost all he had worked for.

One response he got was that you shouldn't explore alone and another was like you shouldn't go to such and such systems then blah, blah, blah.

That.....just plain sucks. I have to pay a monthly fee for that to happen?

No thanks.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong guys, if you like the game and are addicted more power to you. But the only way I'd play a game in which you will lose all your stuff, after all that time to get it, would be if the game was free of monthly charges ie. DIABLO 2 (hardcore).

Well you shouldn't explore alone in that game. It is kind of like real life, if the game was real life.

From what I read is that once you get into a decent spot in the game, it is amazingly fun. There are so many things you can do. Chances are you want to roll with a company of people, but your role can be very important.

mor911
08-24-2006, 04:14 PM
One of the coolest MMO stories EVER was on Eve Online. It's kind of annoying to read (because it's scanned out of a magazine) but this is a must read story for ANY MMO player. Totally awesome (and horrible, depending on the perspective.

http://www.mmodig.com/?p=155

The basic run down is like this. There's a huge coorperation in Eve (their equivalent od a guild) that was run by a lady names Mirial. An opposing corperation put a bounty on her head. Several operatives went into deep game cover to infiltrate the corperation and assassinate her.

Dol-Fan Dupree
08-24-2006, 05:23 PM
One of the coolest MMO stories EVER was on Eve Online. It's kind of annoying to read (because it's scanned out of a magazine) but this is a must read story for ANY MMO player. Totally awesome (and horrible, depending on the perspective.

http://www.mmodig.com/?p=155

The basic run down is like this. There's a huge coorperation in Eve (their equivalent od a guild) that was run by a lady names Mirial. An opposing corperation put a bounty on her head. Several operatives went into deep game cover to infiltrate the corperation and assassinate her.

Holy crap that was one of the most amazing MMORPG things I have ever read. I can't imagine taking a year for one attack.

That is one of the reasons why Eve is amazing. If I had no life I would probably play this game. I like Madden too much.

Finfan23
08-25-2006, 01:32 PM
It does take a long time to develop your character but who wants a powerful character in 5 days or so.
The game is based in real time, so when your not online the game still continues. All of your skills are training when your offline, people in your corp are doing things. it's really an awesome game if you give it a chance. other players and willing to help out too.
they have a 14 day trial if anyone just wants to check it out.

look me up OrionMaximus

TheMageGandalf
08-25-2006, 08:16 PM
they have a 14 day trial if anyone just wants to check it out.

look me up OrionMaximus

ok, i'll look into it later on.

but i'm warning you bro, if i get blown up after 2 days of playing and lose it all, its going to be YOUR fault i get pissed and have a heart attack :goof:

Finfan23
08-26-2006, 03:34 PM
you shouldn't get blown up unless your looking for trouble. most of the game is player vs. computer. there is player vs. player but that's in a different part of space.
it mostly goes by how secure the area your flying through is. most of the time i stay in semi-safe space. and i you hook up with a corporation then you have back-up.

plus if you do get podded your equipment can be recover by someone else

ScottishFin
08-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Losing everything in one go is part of the magic of EvE to most of its players.

Risk v Reward is the main theme of the game , you take the risk you get the reward but if you dont plan ahead you can lose everything. Lost a lot of really expensive gear many times , a few have made me close to quitting but finding good decent people to play the game with makes things so much easier.

There is an entirely player driven politcal background to almost anything that goes on in non-empire space. Basically you have security status of every system , 1.0 being safest to 0.0 being lawless and player controlled. Nowhere is really safe but the higher the number the less likely of being attacked.

I am a member of a large corporation (or guild) which is in turn part of the 3rd biggest player alliance in the game (4000+ players) which is part of a coalition of alliances (13000+ players).

Excellent politcal intregue if you like that kinda thing , or just blowing the loving **** out of anything not flagged as friendly , or the peaceful industrialist mining and making things to sell.

TBH EvE is not for everyone , if you like something that takes a long time to accomplish anything then its for you. If you like a quick fix then it most definately isnt. Although with good planning and some good advice you can be setup to be effective in a PvP fight inside 2 days of starting.

If anyone wants to give it a go and needs help let me know. My corp has an academy that is setup to teach newer players and help them progress into the game. :D

frady2001
09-03-2006, 11:33 PM
hey jags. i dont really post much, mostly lurk. im an eve junky as well.

hangovur. in reikoku (band of brothers).