PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Soccer Games Shouldn't Hurt PS3 Sales

mor911
08-24-2006, 12:24 PM
While loosing next-gen rights (for 12 months) for soccer games was huge blow to Sony's PS3 line up, I hardly think it'll effect Sony negatively... and these analysts agree.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19281

Other retailers also believe that the Sony name is enough to guarantee sales for its first year, regardless of content. "PS3 could sell all it's entire allocation - whatever that might be - three times over without a single killer game over the next twelve months," agreed Steve O'Brien of respected independent stores Action Replay and Gameshop.

The market for PS3 is going to be relatively immature for its first year, so EA will be able to release FIFA in 2008 into a more mature market with higher penetration

Motion
08-24-2006, 12:37 PM
:yes: I agree, they'll be fine.

Mike13
08-24-2006, 12:39 PM
I also agree.

Stitches
08-24-2006, 01:28 PM
How many has the sale of a system been decided by a soccer game? I don't even think Mario Strikers affected gamecube sales.

mor911
08-24-2006, 01:30 PM
How many has the sale of a system been decided by a soccer game? I don't even think Mario Strikers affected gamecube sales.I don't think anyone bought Super Mario Striker :lol: But seriously, in the US soccer games wouldn't make too much of a difference... But in Europe? Imagine if they said Madden was doing to be exclusive to one side... That's what it's like in Europe.

Timmy54
08-24-2006, 01:34 PM
luck for sony that the us market and japan market dictate if a console is successful or not. Soccer is not that big here so the loss of the rights is not a big deal, in Japan, they like RPG and MMO more than sports games. But the mor is right, it might hurt sony in europe.

Motion
08-24-2006, 01:46 PM
luck for sony that the us market and japan market dictate if a console is successful or not. Soccer is not that big here so the loss of the rights is not a big deal, in Japan, they like RPG and MMO more than sports games. But the mor is right, it might hurt sony in europe.

:yeahthat:

Phin-o-rama
08-24-2006, 03:30 PM
the ps3 is gonna be damn good but so is the 360....i like some of the features that sony is including....60 gb hd? yes please..now for the 360 pretty much (you know microsoft will have one shortly) ps3 also has hdmi which would be nice...although component gives you the same picture.

VanDolPhan
08-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Of course it won't matter in the first year. The first year is the hardcore buyers and it's hard to keep systems in stock to meet demand the first year.

It's the price point that will hurt them down the road as the non hardcore's bow off the price.

JuanchoColombia
08-24-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't think anyone bought Super Mario Striker :lol: But seriously, in the US soccer games wouldn't make too much of a difference... But in Europe? Imagine if they said Madden was doing to be exclusive to one side... That's what it's like in Europe.

you're right, it shouldn't make big difference in North America and even Asia, but in soccer regions like Latin America, Europe and other regions it will make a HUGE difference.

"Soccer",like you guys call it, is for some of these people from these regions their first and ONLY sport. It's like you would buy a console without football, baseball, basketball and hockey games... you would think it twice before you buy it, especially with other console with this games.