PDA

View Full Version : OutKast Takes Creative Risk With Movie

BAMAPHIN 22
08-24-2006, 04:36 PM
OutKast has long been considered a groundbreaking force, their funkadelic sound, rapid-fire rhyming and decidedly Southern flair breathing excitement into a repetitious music world and making them one of the most popular acts in the world.

So Andre "3000" Benjamin and Antwan "Big Boi" Patton should have had little difficulty segueing into the world of film, especially considering the success of rappers in Hollywood.

Right?

That's what Big Boi and Andre thought. But Hollywood's initial response was lukewarm, and it would be almost a decade before they finally got an OutKast film this week's "Idlewild" on movie screens.

"Being young and naive, we didn't know what it took to make a movie," admits Big Boi.

Maybe it's because they weren't gangsta rappers looking to play a version of themselves in a gritty shoot-em-up. Or because the kind of film they were looking to make a musical went out of style decades ago.

Or maybe producers worried the eclectic vibe that made OutKast so popular in the music world Andre's wig-wearing, out-there persona and Big Boi's cool, laid-back style wouldn't translate on film.

One humbling moment came after the pair, aided by video director Bryan Barber, wrote a full musical script based on their 1998 disc, "Aquemini." A major studio apparently had interest in it but with a catch.

"At the last minute, they was like, 'Yeah, we wanna buy it, but we don't want y'all to be acting in it,'" recalls Andre. "I think they pulled up Missy (Elliott) and Busta Rhymes' names, because I guess they were the hottest thing going at that time."

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=2352825

greatwade
08-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Everybody's got opinions...

...hell I might go through you

/one helluva an album - Aquemini

dominizzo
08-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Outkast looking gooood!! Niiiiceee

Dors156
08-25-2006, 11:48 PM
wonder what the movies about