PDA

View Full Version : Taller people are smarter, too, study says

BAMAPHIN 22
08-26-2006, 07:11 PM
While researchers have long shown that tall people earn more than their shorter counterparts, it’s not only social discrimination that accounts for this inequality — tall people are just smarter than their height-challenged peers, a new study finds.

“As early as age 3 — before schooling has had a chance to play a role —and throughout childhood, taller children perform significantly better on cognitive tests,” wrote Anne Case and Christina Paxson of Princeton University in a paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research.

The findings were based primarily on two British studies that followed children born in 1958 and 1970, respectively, through adulthood and a U.S. study on height and occupational choice.
Other studies have pointed to low self-esteem (http://www.srch-results.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=77&k=low%20self%20esteem), better health that accompanies greater height, and social discrimination as culprits for lower pay for shorter people.

But researchers Case and Paxson believe the height advantage in the job world is more than just a question of image.

“As adults, taller individuals are more likely to select into higher paying occupations that require more advanced verbal and numerical skills and greater intelligence, for which they earn handsome returns,” they wrote.
For both men and women in the United States and the United Kingdom, a height advantage of four inches equated with a 10 percent increase in wages on average.

But the researchers said the differences in performance crop up long before the tall people enter the job force. Prenatal care and the time between birth and age 3 are critical periods for determining future cognitive ability and height.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14517687/

Dolfan984
08-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Good thing I'm 6'4" :D

Nappy Roots
08-26-2006, 08:00 PM
didnt help me

Puka-head
08-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Poor midgets:(

Silverphin
08-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Poor midgets:(

I'm guessing you're under six foot?

ih8brady
08-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Tallness, like smartness, is a very subjective term. These type of articles are without worth.

Silverphin
08-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Tallness, like smartness, is a very subjective term. These type of articles are without worth.

Yup. Quite frankly, anyone can be an idiot in a certain situation.

PHINATIC13
08-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Hey! that's cause their tall a** heads were blocking me from seeing the chalkboard.:D

NMNB
08-26-2006, 10:04 PM
stupid waste of money.

FWIW, my personal experience has indicated the opposite. The tall people I went to school with were usually not very bright. The smartest people in the class were often the short ones.

Silverphin
08-26-2006, 10:10 PM
stupid waste of money.

FWIW, my personal experience has indicated the opposite. The tall people I went to school with were usually not very bright. The smartest people in the class were often the short ones.

For me, it was a mixture. I knew so many honor/AP students in High School in so many height ranges. Some taller and some shorter than me.

Dolfan984
08-26-2006, 10:36 PM
stupid waste of money.

:boohoo: It's completely random. Height means nothing in terms of intellegence IMO.

Nappy Roots
08-26-2006, 10:44 PM
stupid waste of money.

what does FWIW mean?

Rocky Raccoon
08-26-2006, 10:49 PM
what does FWIW mean?

for what it's worth

Silverphin
08-26-2006, 10:49 PM
what does FWIW mean?

For what it's worth

Nappy Roots
08-26-2006, 10:56 PM
i spent 20 minutes trying to figure it out thanks guys

ih8brady
08-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Tallness is so intangible because there is almost no way to have a firm average or normal height. Sure, there may be a national average but how do you take in account age, region, climate, etc? Time changes the "average" national height, too. The average height of an American male today is different than it was 100 years ago. And how much taller than average is tall? If you're a half an inch taller than the average height, does that make you "tall"? What makes one "smart" is also difficult to determine. Is it all about how knowledgeable they are? How well they learn new skills? How many skills they have? This is why sociology is a joke! They tell others they stereotype too much and then they go and make up even more stereotypes.