PDA

View Full Version : My first week in college

Silverphin
08-26-2006, 10:08 PM
My first week in FAU was... a little hectic to say the least. Quite a bit of things happened.

My first day: Monday, was a tad hectic.

Furst off, I had breakfast. And let me say this: chefs making your omelette in front of you and chococlate chip pancakes.

I went to my first class, on time. But that was it. In my first class, a late (and hot looking) girl sat next to me. Come my next class, I was all over the place looking for the building my class was in until someone kindly pointed out that it was in the "Spaceship" (it's this building that, when you look at it for a bit, looks like it should be in some futuristic science fiction show, this the nick name). After that was done, I had to look for the lecture hall. I was all over campus, looking for a one story building until someone was nice enough to guide me to it. Along the way, I met a couple of my friends from my recently former high school. So I was in the lecture hall. I fell asleep for a good twenty minutes before I headed out to my engineering class. I was glad he is not going to hand out exams. But it turns out, all our assignments are done in groups. So I automatically have three other people helping me out.

After that, I had a few hours to kill. I saw a couple of old friends of mine (all of them old commanders of mine in Air Force JROTC), and then hung out with my friends and fellow high school grads (Class of '06!). We hung out in the university center, make comments about girls who pass us, say some random jokes, watch some kids play Super Smash Brothers: Melee, etc. Basically, we were like the circle in "That 70's Show", minus the marijauna use.

Then I had my last class, and already I had an assignment.

Tuesday: Day off

Wednesday: I got to my classes on time this time. But I did something to day that made me feel bad. I accidently elbowed a blind person. I was sitting next to one of my old friends in the lecture all, my seat being right next to an aisle. So I move my arm for no particular reason, I hit the girl. I then said the worst thing: "Sorry I didn't see you there." My friend was laughing her *** off, and all I can say was "I'm going to Hell."

After that, in my engineering class, the professor showed us a video that told us a ****-up in engineering can cause major disasters, such as, but limited to, Chernobyl, the Titanic, and a bridge that wasn't aerodynamic. After that, we got to work on designing a bridge made of paper that had to hold up books. All that time, in the back of my head, I was thinking "You better not be responsible for any huge **** ups."

During break, after getting tired pulling around an airport-like backpack due to the weight of my books, I decided to get a locker, which was a blessing. My back felt like it was going to give out a few times. After that, a friend of mine offered to drive me home everyday instead of taking three (count 'em), three busses as long as I paid gas. I decided to take him up on the offer. On the ride home, we talked about... stuff.

Thursday, I had the day off, so I decided to go job hunting, applying mostly at the mall.

Friday, I was late to my first class due to me forgetting to: A) go to my locker and B) locker combination. Other than that, everything was basically status quo.

Mike13
08-26-2006, 11:47 PM
There are no lockers at FIU, that kind of blows. Anyways its cool to hear another college boy's experience. My next semester begins on Monday.

UCFinfan86
08-27-2006, 12:49 AM
mine started last monday was well at UCF, i LOVE IT(except for all the reading HW i have)

ih8brady
08-27-2006, 01:16 AM
what are all of you studying? any down points?

good luck in your first year

Silverphin
08-27-2006, 08:48 AM
what are all of you studying? any down points?

good luck in your first year

Thanks. I'm studying Civil Engineering.

cnc66
08-27-2006, 08:55 AM

very cool... you just might have a HUGE disaster to evaluate first hand when the Hoover Dike gets breached and lets Okeechobee Lake out on the southern end again. It almost happened with Wilma last year...and few are talking about it.

DolfanGermany
08-27-2006, 09:16 AM

Thursday, I had the day off, so I decided to go job hunting, applying mostly at the mall.

WOW! Is that usual in the US? I mean that u have 2 days off a week?

I guess now I know why everyone in the USA wants to go to college so bad.

greatwade
08-27-2006, 10:42 AM
My first week in FAU was... a little hectic to say the least. Quite a bit of things happened.

My first day: Monday, was a tad hectic.

Furst off, I had breakfast. And let me say this: chefs making your omelette in front of you and chococlate chip pancakes.

I went to my first class, on time. But that was it. In my first class, a late (and hot looking) girl sat next to me. Come my next class, I was all over the place looking for the building my class was in until someone kindly pointed out that it was in the "Spaceship" (it's this building that, when you look at it for a bit, looks like it should be in some futuristic science fiction show, this the nick name). After that was done, I had to look for the lecture hall. I was all over campus, looking for a one story building until someone was nice enough to guide me to it. Along the way, I met a couple of my friends from my recently former high school. So I was in the lecture hall. I fell asleep for a good twenty minutes before I headed out to my engineering class. I was glad he is not going to hand out exams. But it turns out, all our assignments are done in groups. So I automatically have three other people helping me out.

After that, I had a few hours to kill. I saw a couple of old friends of mine (all of them old commanders of mine in Air Force JROTC), and then hung out with my friends and fellow high school grads (Class of '06!). We hung out in the university center, make comments about girls who pass us, say some random jokes, watch some kids play Super Smash Brothers: Melee, etc. Basically, we were like the circle in "That 70's Show", minus the marijauna use.

Then I had my last class, and already I had an assignment.

Wednesday: I got to my classes on time this time. But I did something to day that made me feel bad. I accidently elbowed a blind person. I was sitting next to one of my old friends in the lecture all, my seat being right next to an aisle. So I move my arm for no particular reason, I hit the girl. I then said the worst thing: "Sorry I didn't see you there." My friend was laughing her *** off, and all I can say was "I'm going to Hell."

After that, in my engineering class, the professor showed us a video that told us a ****-up in engineering can cause major disasters, such as, but limited to, Chernobyl, the Titanic, and a bridge that wasn't aerodynamic. After that, we got to work on designing a bridge made of paper that had to hold up books. All that time, in the back of my head, I was thinking "You better not be responsible for any huge **** ups."

During break, after getting tired pulling around an airport-like backpack due to the weight of my books, I decided to get a locker, which was a blessing. My back felt like it was going to give out a few times. After that, a friend of mine offered to drive me home everyday instead of taking three (count 'em), three busses as long as I paid gas. I decided to take him up on the offer. On the ride home, we talked about... stuff.

Friday, I was late to my first class due to me forgetting to: A) go to my locker and B) locker combination. Other than that, everything was basically status quo.

must.teach.accounting@FAU

Dors156
08-27-2006, 10:46 AM
thats cool that youve started college.im at my bros college helping him move in and other stuff and i wish i was at college instead of high school.he has five classes one day and one the next:eek:

i have eight classes one day and seven the next for the first semester and then the second i hvae 7 one day then six

greatwade
08-27-2006, 10:47 AM
thats cool that youve started college.im at my bros college helping him move in and other stuff and i wish i was at college instead of high school.he has five classes one day and one the next:eek:

i have eight classes one day and seven the next for the first semester and then the second i hvae 7 one day then six

i have no class

Dors156
08-27-2006, 10:49 AM
i have no class

:chuckle:

Celtkin
08-27-2006, 11:20 AM
WOW! Is that usual in the US? I mean that u have 2 days off a week?

I guess now I know why everyone in the USA wants to go to college so bad.

In the US, full time undergraduate students take at least 12 semester hours of classes per semester = 12 classroom hours a week. During regular (Non summer) semester, most 3 hour classes are 1 hour each, three times a week so it is possible to have a day off during the week and still have a full schedule.

UCFinfan86
08-27-2006, 12:46 PM
My schedule is setup so its pretty easy on me. I have 2 classes every day mon-fri and i like that, i just dont liek teh times. Mon,Wed,Fri i have class from 7:30-8:20AM, and then on Mon and Wed i dont have another class til 4:30-5:45PM. Tues-Thru i have class at 9-10:20AM and then class from 1:30-4:20. And on Fri i have my 2nd class 11:30-12:20 then im done for the day. O ya and i am undeclared right now, but takng Engineering classes, not deffinete which route i want to go yet, but im leaning towards Aerospace Engineering. I have 13 Credit Hours, 15 Class hours(damn intro in egn is 1 credit but 3 hours long)

tucker
08-27-2006, 01:15 PM
fau has lockers? i never saw them when i was there

Roman529
08-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I miss college and grad school. Word of advice.....don't take any classes that start before about 10 am, unless you have too. I would stay up late and do most of my studying and papers late at night....then sleep in until about 9 am, go to class between 11 am-4 pm...and occasionally take a class at night....usually a once a week 2 hour and 40 minute class.

You also might want take advantage of Air Force ROTC....as an engineering major I think you might even get some scholarship money from them, and you would have a gauranteed job as a 2nd Lieutenant when you graduate.

I also would get a campus map and plot out where everything is at and write the locker number and combo and keep it in your wallet. I use to forget my number alot in high school. :lol: Maybe there are some engineering firms you could intern at, and get some experience rather than working at the mall?

Good luck with your studies, and go easy on the blind chicks....is she hot?
:wink:

ih8brady
08-27-2006, 03:23 PM

I'm in my third year, and I remember my first week was confusing. I had maybe a dozen textbooks and needlessly carried it in my bookbag everyday. :smackhead I still have a dream of having all thursday and tuesday classes for a semester, and I only have three semesters left to pull it off.

d-day
08-27-2006, 03:58 PM
i have no class

yo'r like school in summer

burton87
08-27-2006, 04:02 PM

I just started too, I have 3 film classes and 2 GEDs during the week (football being one of them) and no school on friday. It's the easiest schedule ever.

MelbournePhin
08-27-2006, 04:50 PM
all i can say is enjoy your first couple of years. by the time you hit your senior year, you start getting tired of school. at least i did

Dors156
08-27-2006, 06:32 PM
yo'r like school in summer

:sidelol:

Mephistopheles
08-27-2006, 08:19 PM
I start my fall semester tomorrow. :boohoo:

Well, at least I'm more than half way done. (50 credits remaining)

RWhitney014
08-27-2006, 08:36 PM

Advice from someone who's going far, far away (Evanston, IL) from home for college in two weeks...enjoy your high school years. Don't wish your life away. I haven't even started yet and have more responsibilities than ever before. High school is the last time your only responsibility is school.

Mike13
08-27-2006, 11:07 PM
My classes don't start until 3:30 tomorrow, I get out at 7:25 though, well at least tuesdays I have off.

PhinzN703
08-28-2006, 03:38 PM
<------------------College graduate :nana:

Im sure it'll get better for you as time goes on. Just enjoy this while it lasts, b/c going to class on time and knowing where everything is will get old real quick

greatwade
08-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Advice from someone who's going far, far away (Evanston, IL) from home for college in two weeks...enjoy your high school years. Don't wish your life away. I haven't even started yet and have more responsibilities than ever before. High school is the last time your only responsibility is school.

Just be careful what you wish for

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

I now have a 13" version of the above. He's awful noisy.

RWhitney014
08-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Just be careful what you wish for

http://employees.csbsju.edu/mbrodie/images/Pianist.jpg

I now have a 13" version of the above. He's awful noisy.

:lol:

DrAstroZoom
08-28-2006, 03:57 PM
This story needs an orgy.

greatwade
08-28-2006, 03:59 PM

every goo story has one

In_Flames
08-28-2006, 03:59 PM

when there's a Greatwade nearby, an orgy is sure to follow....so I've been told... :rolleyes:

DrAstroZoom
08-28-2006, 04:00 PM
when there's a Greatwade nearby, an orgy is sure to follow....so I've been told... :rolleyes:

Or "goo," at the very least.

greatwade
08-28-2006, 04:01 PM
when there's a Greatwade nearby, an orgy is sure to follow....so I've been told... :rolleyes::monkeyl:don't believe everything in your ear

In_Flames
08-28-2006, 04:02 PM
don't believe everything in your ear

would you kindly remove your monkey sir....:confused:

greatwade
08-28-2006, 04:07 PM
would you kindly remove your monkey sir....:confused:

reminds me of my first week in college.

this chick puked
http://www.greaton.com/images/halloween/PIC00033.jpg

Tito showed up
http://www.greaton.com/images/halloween/PIC00008.jpg

some chicks through down
http://www.greaton.com/images/halloween/PIC00021.jpg

this guy wanted to fight
http://www.greaton.com/madparty/PIC00009.jpg

we kidnapped the mascot
http://www.greaton.com/madparty/PIC00030.jpg

it all ended badly
http://www.greaton.com/madparty/PIC00078.jpg

College!

In_Flames
08-28-2006, 04:12 PM
we kidnapped the mascot
http://www.greaton.com/madparty/PIC00030.jpg

dude behind the mascot sort of looks like Dwight from The Office....

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/08/20051123schrute1-1.jpg