PDA

View Full Version : Will Nintendo Punk us with the Wii?

mor911
08-27-2006, 09:57 PM
This is a pretty cool blog entry (remember people -- it's a BLOG entry. That hardly makes it true. I figured it was interestin enough to post) in which the writer says his "insider" at Ninteno explains to him that the Nintendo Wii has much more power that Nintendo is letting out.

He says Nintendo is intentionally showing screenshots that under credit the Wii so that there is a huge "wow" factor upon launch.

Nintendo has been playing us the fool all along. They have been showing us trailers for games that have deliberately downgraded graphics compared to what the Wii can actually do. This is to create an element of surprise for the press during Nintendo's next media event.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=5035

I think it's bull. For one, it's a Nintendo-only blog, so the guy is obviosly pro-Nintendo and want to gather as many fans as he can on Nintendo's side. Also, there's no smart reason to under-play your console. It's stupid and makes no business sense.

Thoughts?

NewEra8
08-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Doesn't make much sense to me... You don't halfass a presentation that worlds watchin so that you can 'show improvement'...

Dors156
08-27-2006, 10:19 PM
that would be suprising

Mike13
08-27-2006, 11:22 PM
The blog says its just a rumor, I doubt its true.

Link
08-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Not sure about this one. I think that the Wii may not being showing all its power, but thats mainly because the early titles rarely do. I think its not untill a year or two in that they really show the power of the system. Examples with the GameCube include RE4, and Twilight Princess.

But it is Nintendo we are talking about. The very same company that still has not given a price or date for no good reason... Who knows. I for one think that the Wii is more then some people have been saying. Sure its not graphically on par with the other two, but I really don't think its that far off. Thats just my thoughts.

like2god
08-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Either way, I am looking forward to getting one.

Link
08-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Either way, I am looking forward to getting one.

:hi5: Right on man! What games are you interested in?

like2god
08-28-2006, 12:43 AM
:hi5: Right on man! What games are you interested in?

I am looking forward to Madden right off the bat. I only play sports games on Nintendo systems because I hate the glitches, freezes and controller layout (for sports) that goes along with PS2. I always get Madden, NBA Live and Resident Evil games. I would also like Cabela's Deer Hunter, NHL Live (when released) and any Mario game that is released at the same time as the Wii.

:cooldude:

Link
08-28-2006, 12:45 AM
I am looking forward to Madden right off the bat. I only play sports games on Nintendo systems because I hate the glitches, freezes and controller layout (for sports) that goes along with PS2. I always get Madden, NBA Live and Resident Evil games. I am looking forward to Cabela's Deer Hunter, NHL Live (when released) and any Mario game that is released at the same time as the Wii.

:cooldude:

Awesome. Ever played Zelda or Metroid? The Zelda and Metroid that are coming at launch look to be the best yet. I am not positive of that yet though. I can't wait to play them.

mor911
08-28-2006, 12:45 AM
You do realize that all of the past maddens for xbox and gamecube have been PS2 ports right? They make it for PS2, THEN port it to XB and GC.

like2god
08-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Awesome. Ever played Zelda or Metroid? The Zelda and Metroid that are coming at launch look to be the best yet. I am not positive of that yet though. I can't wait to play them.

I played the Zelda game for the first Nintendo (or it could have been SNES, I think it was the first Nintendo...it was gold), and I played Zelda Ocarina of time but never finished it. Metroid.......I haven't played that since I was 8. :lol: I loved that game.

like2god
08-28-2006, 12:50 AM
You do realize that all of the past maddens for xbox and gamecube have been PS2 ports right? They make it for PS2, THEN port it to XB and GC.

Now I do. :D

I just think that sports games run smoother on Nintendo consoles than they do on PS2. Right now I am playing MLB 2K6 for PS2 and it skips and freezes every so often and I get frustrated. Sometimes I just want to throw the controller out the window.

Stitches
08-28-2006, 08:20 AM
I never had a problem with skips or freezes with sports games on my ps2. I've probably logged weeks upon weeks worth of playtime over the years through both NCAA and Madden on there.

Bruzer
08-28-2006, 08:23 AM
I plan to get wii most likely first as it is gonna be in a good price range and I just want it for Zelda mainly and hoping other titles come out I wan't. I just can't pass up zelda :D

Stitches
08-28-2006, 09:29 AM
I plan to get wii most likely first as it is gonna be in a good price range and I just want it for Zelda mainly and hoping other titles come out I wan't. I just can't pass up zelda :D

If you can't pass up Zelda, you could always get a gamecube and Twilight Princess.

Bruzer
08-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Nah I want to use the new wii mote though for it looks awesome. I don't know the nintendo games and im sure I will get more than just zelda. I just dont know the games like i do ps3

like2god
08-28-2006, 10:48 AM
I never had a problem with skips or freezes with sports games on my ps2. I've probably logged weeks upon weeks worth of playtime over the years through both NCAA and Madden on there.

It only happens to my sports games. It doesn't happen with my Desert Storm games, GTA games or any other games, just the sports. It gets very frustrating when you are trying to make the perfect pitch or trying to time your jumpshot just right. One bad glitch can ruin the whole game. :(

Mike13
08-28-2006, 10:52 AM

Thats intresting, I really don't care but its intresting.

illscriptures
08-28-2006, 02:02 PM
I want to see a pokemon game that is an rpg for the system... and I'm definately sold on the system.

tucker
08-28-2006, 02:36 PM
eh..wii's graphics look bad enough that i have decided to buy the ps3

Bruzer
08-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Tucker since win does graphics make a game fun???

mor911
08-28-2006, 02:59 PM
I kinda see where Tucker's coming from because... If the Wii is barely more powerful than current gen, why couldn't the Wiimote be a peripheral for the gamecube.... Answer: They make more money if they sell you a new machine. Of course it'll be hundreds less than the competition, especially if it's barelt stronger than an Xbox.

I hope I'm wrong.

tucker
08-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Tucker since win does graphics make a game fun???ummmm since always

Bruzer
08-28-2006, 03:17 PM
I still don't agree graphics make a game fun... Look at some of the games out there some got great graphics and gameplay blows. I will play a fun game over a graphically intense one.

Also we have no idea how wii mote works internally so for all we know is a new system had to be made to make it work right.

In_Flames
08-28-2006, 03:17 PM

:yeahthat:

Bruzer
08-28-2006, 03:25 PM
By saying graphics make a game fun then your Saying a game like Age of Empires 3 should be a better game than starcraft because graphics make a game .... sorry that doesn't make any sense.

Stitches
08-28-2006, 03:49 PM
By saying graphics make a game fun then your Saying a game like Age of Empires should get a 10.0 rating compared to Star craft should get a 2.0 sorry but graphics make a game doesn't make any sense.

I don't really understand the wording of this, but I'm pretty sure I understand what he means from the other posts.

Anyways, graphics aid in making a game great, but they don't determine how good a game is to me. Chrono Trigger for example was an SNES game(I have it for PS through FF Chronicles, or whatever), so you can imagine the graphics(or we can use 'Link to the Past' as an example, since in my head the graphics are almost the same). Then let's look at a game, with beautiful graphics, like The Bouncer for Ps2. I thought Square had the graphics looking amazing. But as far as which game I would rather play, it is old school for sure. The storyline and game play in Chrono Trigger or Zelda was just far more engaging and enthralling. Sweet graphics don't make a game great. Sweet graphics make a great game one of the best.

Bruzer
08-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Yea I didn't get across my wording right so I fixed it. I'm not saying graphics are not a factor but the gameplay is the biggest and game should not be judged on graphics.

Dol-Fan Dupree
08-28-2006, 03:55 PM
For its time the graphics in Chrono Trigger were amazing.

tucker
08-28-2006, 04:12 PM
well i better make it clear..i dont play pretty much any of the games you just mentioned..i like sports games and shooting games (halo, medal of honor etc)..i like my graphics to look as real as possible, but game play must also be good

edit: just googled age of teh empire 3, and thats a game i would prolly never play, if that helps any

Bruzer
08-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Well see I play almost every kind of game im not selective I like to play a game to see what they did right and did wrong in my opinion.

I got around 30-40 pc games so I play alot of games.

Stitches
08-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Well see I play almost every kind of game im not selective I like to play a game to see what they did right and did wrong in my opinion.

I got around 30-40 pc games so I play alot of games.

I have my favorite genres, but that doesn't limit my games. If a game is great, I will probably get it. I might also get some bad games too though, just because of thier subject matter.

#1 Fan
08-29-2006, 04:22 PM
no one is going to be wowed by 480p graphics

Dol-Fan Dupree
08-29-2006, 04:29 PM
no one is going to be wowed by 480p graphics

More people are not going to be able to tell the difference between 480p and 1080p

mor911
08-29-2006, 04:33 PM
More people are not going to be able to tell the difference between 480p and 1080p
You must not own an HDTV. When you see something in 480p, you can tell a HUGE difference even when it goes to 720p. In my 360, you can even tell in the menus when you're in a higher resolution. There is a HUGE difference.

Dol-Fan Dupree
08-29-2006, 05:00 PM
You must not own an HDTV. When you see something in 480p, you can tell a HUGE difference even when it goes to 720p. In my 360, you can even tell in the menus when you're in a higher resolution. There is a HUGE difference.

I own a 55 inch 1080i Sony LCD Projection.

I can tell the difference.

Most people cannot.

BlitPhinFan
08-29-2006, 08:22 PM
I own a 55 inch 1080i Sony DLP.

Most people cannot.
How are you liking your DLP? I am loving mine. Granted it has had it's problems, like they have replaced the bulb 3 times, in the first year, and the DLP processor board once in the, almost, two years I have had it. Other than that... the picture is absolutely stunning. My familly still watches the analog and non HD channels we get with Time Warner, but me, I only watch the HD channels. :lol:

Also the XBox 360(when it was working) looked fantastic on it as well. I have the 1280x720p chip which is capable of interlacing to 1080i, but I prefer the look of the 720p over the 1080i.

Then again, I got a Toshiba 62" DLP unit. It looked just as nice, picture wise, as the Mitsubishi DLP next to it but was 500 less. I used that 500 to get the HHGregg 5 year extended warrenty, which has payed for itself 4 times over already.

And yes, I can tell the difference as well, it's much more noticable on large screens though.

Stitches
08-30-2006, 11:13 AM
I own a 55 inch 1080i Sony DLP.

Most people cannot.

Especially when a majority of people don't have HDTV. Well maybe not a majority. But at least a significant amount of people.

Dol-Fan Dupree
08-30-2006, 12:13 PM
How are you liking your DLP? I am loving mine. Granted it has had it's problems, like they have replaced the bulb 3 times, in the first year, and the DLP processor board once in the, almost, two years I have had it. Other than that... the picture is absolutely stunning. My familly still watches the analog and non HD channels we get with Time Warner, but me, I only watch the HD channels. :lol:

Also the XBox 360(when it was working) looked fantastic on it as well. I have the 1280x720p chip which is capable of interlacing to 1080i, but I prefer the look of the 720p over the 1080i.

Then again, I got a Toshiba 62" DLP unit. It looked just as nice, picture wise, as the Mitsubishi DLP next to it but was 500 less. I used that 500 to get the HHGregg 5 year extended warrenty, which has payed for itself 4 times over already.

And yes, I can tell the difference as well, it's much more noticable on large screens though.

my bad I meant LCD projection. I don't know why i wrote DLP. My roomate has a 50 inch DLP. Our front room has one 50 inch DLP and one 55 inch LCD projection. It is bad ***.

I think DLP looks really cool. I do like the lack of the screen door effect that my LCD has. I do like the color on my LCD better. Really though, it is like having the choice between having sex with Jessica Alba or Angelina Jolie.

Stitches
08-30-2006, 04:20 PM
my bad I meant LCD projection. I don't know why i wrote DLP. My roomate has a 50 inch DLP. Our front room has one 50 inch DLP and one 55 inch LCD projection. It is bad ***.

I think DLP looks really cool. I do like the lack of the screen door effect that my LCD has. I do like the color on my LCD better. Really though, it is like having the choice between having sex with Jessica Alba or Angelina Jolie.

Jessica Alba hands down. So which TV would that equate to?

Dol-Fan Dupree
08-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Jessica Alba hands down. So which TV would that equate to?

Are you sure? Angelina looks like the type to be able to do things that cause you to forget your name.

Stitches
08-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Are you sure? Angelina looks like the type to be able to do things that cause you to forget your name.

I just think Billy Bob ruined it for me, and could I really compare at all to Brad Pitt?

Dol-Fan Dupree
08-30-2006, 05:19 PM
I just think Billy Bob ruined it for me, and could I really compare at all to Brad Pitt?

The crazy ones are the best. Who is hotter and crazier than Angelina?

Jessica Alba is young and hot. Which might mean she isn't the best lay, however all you would really need to do is look at her.

#1 Fan
08-31-2006, 12:01 AM
I'll take alba also.

a vida guerra tv would be the new samsung 70", 1080p, 8ms refresh rate.