PDA

View Full Version : 128 Students Suspended at Ind. School

BAMAPHIN 22
08-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Classrooms were a little less crowded at Morton High School on the first day of classes: 128 students were sent home for wearing the wrong clothes.

Fed up with inappropriate outfits, the principal suspended the students for one day Wednesday, minutes after doors opened at the school. Those suspended represent more than 10 percent of the 1,200 total students.

The offending attire _ including baggy pants, low-cut shirts, tank tops and graphic T-shirts _ are banned from classrooms. Students were also cited for cell phone (http://www.srch-results.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=77&k=cell%20phone) use.

"This was the worst year I've seen in a long time," said Principal Theresa Mayerik. "It's gotten out of control, and we needed to send a message that we're not messing around."

The Hammond school usually has 20 dress code violations a day.

Mayerik said the infraction would be removed from students' records in 12 weeks if they had no other in-school violations.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/27/ap/strange/mainD8JONG1G0.shtml

Mbs3009
08-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Glad to see someone has finally taken control of the situation. It's been out of hand for far too long.

Nappy Roots
08-28-2006, 12:26 AM
banning baggy pants is the ridiculous thing ive ever heard of in my life.

ive been turned away from clubs because of "baggy pants"....while they play hip hop music. most ludacris thing ive ever heard of.

HysterikiLL
08-28-2006, 02:05 AM
So these kids got the day off for wearing baggy pants? Dag.

Baxter
08-28-2006, 10:25 AM
banning baggy pants is the ridiculous thing ive ever heard of in my life.

ive been turned away from clubs because of "baggy pants"....while they play hip hop music. most ludacris thing ive ever heard of. I know alot of people think thats stupid, but they do that to keep anyone from hiding weapons. They're not asking that people wear wranglers just not pants someone could fit a bazooka in.

greatwade
08-28-2006, 10:27 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Make the girls where TIGHT pants dammit!!!!!!!

CharlestonPhan
08-28-2006, 10:31 AM
the school has a dress code, they chose to ignore it, and suffered the consequences. thats life.

im just shocked a school administrator actually followed thru and enforced the rule. i taught for five years, and could not have cared less what students wore. they look absolutely ridiculous, but every generation has its silly trends.

BUT... every year the district and principal made an issue out of enforcing the dress code, and expected the teachers to do so. but then she had to deal with 100 students every morning in the office for uniform violations. by the end of the first day, they werent enforcing it consistently, and by the end of the first week they were blaming the teachers for trying to enforce the rule. stuff like that is why i got out of teaching.

for what its worth, my districts rationale behind the no baggy pants rule is two fold: underwear hanging out, and fear that students can hide weapons in baggy clothing.

Baxter
08-28-2006, 10:39 AM
http://uplink.space.com/attachments/142761-wex1.jpg

Make the girls where TIGHT pants dammit!!!!!!!gross:shakeno:

Spray Mucus
08-28-2006, 10:41 AM

you can almost see the girl on the lefts insides.

greatwade
08-28-2006, 10:44 AM
you can almost see the girl on the lefts insides.

it is almost as if something is suspended

Spray Mucus
08-28-2006, 10:46 AM
it is almost as if something is suspended

must be Rutgers lingo.

Nappy Roots
08-28-2006, 10:49 AM
saying students can hide weapons in baggy pants is a HUGE cop out. students can hide weapons in jackets and coats 10 times easier. your not going to ban them. i can understand banning grafic images on tshirt, tank tops. but outside that, if your going to ban baggy pants and low cut shirts, why not have uniforms? if you want everyone being alike, just go all the way.

if this happen at a school down south, the school would be shut down for everyone transfering and such. i know i would. i wear what i want, as long as im not offending anyone.

Baxter
08-28-2006, 10:53 AM
saying students can hide weapons in baggy pants is a HUGE cop out. students can hide weapons in jackets and coats 10 times easier. your not going to ban them. i can understand banning grafic images on tshirt, tank tops. but outside that, if your going to ban baggy pants and low cut shirts, why not have uniforms? if you want everyone being alike, just go all the way.

if this happen at a school down south, the school would be shut down for everyone transfering and such. i know i would. i wear what i want, as long as im not offending anyone.people wear jackets and coats because they are cold, baggy pants are just for fashion. Banning people from wearing jackets or coats is big difference from banning bagging pants.

Nappy Roots
08-28-2006, 11:36 AM
people wear jackets and coats because they are cold, baggy pants are just for fashion. Banning people from wearing jackets or coats is big difference from banning bagging pants.

point is, they can hide weapons in jackets and coats easier.

people wear tank tops because their hot. but they are banned.

Mike13
08-28-2006, 11:47 AM
the school has a dress code, they chose to ignore it, and suffered the consequences. thats life.

im just shocked a school administrator actually followed thru and enforced the rule. i taught for five years, and could not have cared less what students wore. they look absolutely ridiculous, but every generation has its silly trends.

BUT... every year the district and principal made an issue out of enforcing the dress code, and expected the teachers to do so. but then she had to deal with 100 students every morning in the office for uniform violations. by the end of the first day, they werent enforcing it consistently, and by the end of the first week they were blaming the teachers for trying to enforce the rule. stuff like that is why i got out of teaching.

for what its worth, my districts rationale behind the no baggy pants rule is two fold: underwear hanging out, and fear that students can hide weapons in baggy clothing.

Something similarto that happened at my old high school.

SkapePhin
08-28-2006, 11:58 AM

YES!

Chavez Ravine
08-28-2006, 12:19 PM

if this happen at a school down south, the school would be shut down for everyone transfering and such. i know i would. i wear what i want, as long as im not offending anyone.

The bottom line isn't style, but a breaking of the dress code

If the dress code is not baggy pants and cleavage than they broke the rules.

unluckyluciano
08-28-2006, 12:30 PM
The bottom line isn't style, but a breaking of the dress code

If the dress code is not baggy pants and cleavage than they broke the rules.

What does this argument have to do with rather or not the rule is right or wrong?

Coral Reefer
08-28-2006, 12:39 PM

That about sums it up.
Nice post.

tucker
08-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Glad to see someone has finally taken control of the situation. It's been out of hand for far too long.no it hasnt...the way it sounds, the dress code sounds quite normal..and people put weapons in their backpacks, not their "baggy pants"..LOL

Mbs3009
08-29-2006, 09:01 AM
no it hasnt...the way it sounds, the dress code sounds quite normal..and people put weapons in their backpacks, not their "baggy pants"..LOL

I'm thinking that this will set a trend throughout the country. If the school policy dictates what they can and can not wear. It's pretty cut and dried.

I for one am sick of seeing these kids looking like they stepped out of a gangsta video. Do they not realize just how ridiculous they look?

Scrap
08-29-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm thinking the baggy pants they are talking about are the ones that also have no belt, and are hanging halfway off the butt. If that's what they are cracking down on, good for them.

As for cell phones, even adults have no etiquette when it comes to them. Again, good for them.

I'm not so sure what they mean by graphic t shirts though. Is that a t shirt with grphics, or an "obscene" type of t shirt ?

cnc66
08-29-2006, 09:34 AM
I vote for uniforms....

Nappy Roots
08-29-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm thinking that this will set a trend throughout the country. If the school policy dictates what they can and can not wear. It's pretty cut and dried.

I for one am sick of seeing these kids looking like they stepped out of a gangsta video. Do they not realize just how ridiculous they look?

you honestly think they care how look to a 32 year old, that is not part of thier life any way any how? and your sick of seeing it? why the hell do you care? do you have sort of agenda agaisnt rap?

GRAPEAPE
08-29-2006, 02:07 PM
I vote for uniforms.... Most of those students will get uniforms. However they will be bright orange, and they will not see daylight for 10 to 12 years. I grew up just south of Hammond, For those of you who don't know Hammond is a nice way of saying Gary, In. Yes, Gary we like to call it little Detroit here in Indiana. Infested with drugs, gangs, guns. Murder capital of the world a few years ago. Not a nice place top be. As far as hiding weapons in the baggy pants, these kids have weapons all over them it doesn't matter what type of pants they wear they are gonna get weapons into school.

SKing29
08-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I don't get the whole baggy pants thing seeing as how my old high school, Campbell County High School had a school shooting last year where an assistant pinciple was killed and that kid wasn't wearing baggy pants or violating any of the dress code policies (which included see through backpacks). I get the whole cell phone thing, but only because it annoys me, I go to East Tennesee State University and when I'm walking to class 95% of the people are on cellphones, I mean honestly what is there so important to talk about? (actually most is gossip, but still).

Roman529
08-29-2006, 06:17 PM
I think all kids should have to wear uniforms to school. Maybe a collared shirt a tie for the guys.

unluckyluciano
08-29-2006, 06:34 PM
I think the baggy pants rule is actually more to keep away the gang affiliation but has gotten kind of ridiculous.

Slappy8800
08-29-2006, 06:40 PM
wow how lame....stuff like this would make me wear what they told us not to wear....

GCD960
08-29-2006, 08:13 PM
gross:shakeno:

You CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZY!!! That picture is serious. That chick on the left can get it alllllllllllllllllll day. I want to smell her car seat

Dors156
08-29-2006, 08:23 PM

:lol:

Baxter
08-29-2006, 09:29 PM
You CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZY!!! That picture is serious. That chick on the left can get it alllllllllllllllllll day. I want to smell her car seatIts called sarcasm bud. :wink:

Skeet84
08-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Thats one way to do it make them all go home.

Jimmy James
08-30-2006, 12:10 AM
It was the first day of classes! In light of that, I have to call this clearly excessive.