PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike Advise

The Confessor
08-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Alright, since I can't seem to find the answers I want anywhere else, I will turn my attentions here. Shouldve started here in the first place

I am interested in buying a new bike. I have three in mind. The criteria are: Hardtail, entrylevel but adaptable for advance. I will be approx splitting time on asphalt and hard core terrain (No 6 footers, but just short of) and I need to keep it under 400 cahonies

The three I am currently researching hard are:

SPECIALIZED HARDROCK. I grew up on a Stumpjumper way back when suspension was just coming to be. Actually my Stumpjumper was much closer to a BMX bike than a modern Mountain bike. Nonetheless, it was good bike and so I am looking hard at this one. Reviews for this are off the chart as far as bang for the buck.

TREK 4300. Very similar to the Hardrock, and reviews are awesome. I test rode one and was very impressed. I have heard comments both ways on TREK so I wanna make sure.

MOTOBECANE 400HT. This comes with a few more bells and whistles (Disk brakes and better peddles) than either of the previous, however I dont know the first thing about MOTOBECANE other than the name. This is also an internet bike so I wont have the opportunity to Test drive first....

Anybody with insight please educate me

Thnx

az

Spray Mucus
08-28-2006, 03:22 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/08/thlucky-1.gif

The Confessor
08-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Cmon dude, I seriously dont want this to become spam....

greatwade
08-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Cmon dude, I seriously dont want this to become spam.... :sidelol:

Spam his ipod thread!

I have a cousin who worked for Trek for a long time. I'd be happy to pass along your question...

Spray Mucus
08-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Cmon dude, I seriously dont want this to become spam....

are you saying the sledgehammer is a bad bike?

honestly, ask And1 (NJfinfan?) he's a bike guy.

cnc66
08-28-2006, 03:31 PM
I own two Trek 930's and I have been pleased since I got my first one back in 94. I was/am big for mountain biking, when I raced I was at 203...(and OLD, I was 40 then) now I'm at 235..pneumonia is a *****..no more competition for me. I preferred the cro-moly frames as they "give" a little bit. The Aluminum frames are stiff as hell and I needed the flex. I rode a rocker for awhile but didn't like the lost power from the rear suspension..I stayed hard tail with a roc shock seat post. On the premise that you lose about 35% of you efficiency the minute your butt lifts off the seat, I was determined to stay seated. Not having any "wind" because double viral pneumonia wrecked my lungs, riding isn't nearly as much fun now.

NJFINSFAN1
08-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Alright, since I can't seem to find the answers I want anywhere else, I will turn my attentions here. Shouldve started here in the first place

I am interested in buying a new bike. I have three in mind. The criteria are: Hardtail, entrylevel but adaptable for advance. I will be approx splitting time on asphalt and hard core terrain (No 6 footers, but just short of) and I need to keep it under 400 cahonies

The three I am currently researching hard are:

SPECIALIZED HARDROCK. I grew up on a Stumpjumper way back when suspension was just coming to be. Actually my Stumpjumper was much closer to a BMX bike than a modern Mountain bike. Nonetheless, it was good bike and so I am looking hard at this one. Reviews for this are off the chart as far as bang for the buck.

TREK 4300. Very similar to the Hardrock, and reviews are awesome. I test rode one and was very impressed. I have heard comments both ways on TREK so I wanna make sure.

MOTOBECANE 400HT. This comes with a few more bells and whistles (Disk brakes and better peddles) than either of the previous, however I dont know the first thing about MOTOBECANE other than the name. This is also an internet bike so I wont have the opportunity to Test drive first....

Anybody with insight please educate me

Thnx

az

I'm a big Mountain Biker, I went with the back shock three years ago and will never go back to hardtail!

I would consider the shock! You can get it with a lockout for when you need it.

I have a Kona and I love it, in fact I'm starting to upgrade all my parts.

Another factor is what your willing to spend, I decide to upgrade my Kona instead of buying new, just can't afford it right now. To buy what I want would cost me $4000 plus. So I will just upgrade my $1600 bike and make it a $4000 bike:rolleyes: . The Santa Cruz Blur is awesome as is the Ellsworth ID!!!

Also go to your local Bike dealers and ask then to let you demo the bikes, most shops will let you take them for a day or two to test ride.

NJFINSFAN1
08-28-2006, 03:51 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/08/mejpsz8-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=http://www.imageshack.us/v_images.php)

Me and my Kona at Mountain Bike Weekend in Jim Thorpe PA last summer

Also go here, they review all bikes and people write in reviews also! http://www.mtbr.com/

NJFINSFAN1
08-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Motobecane 400HT

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_123953.shtml

NJFINSFAN1
08-28-2006, 04:05 PM
SPECIALIZED HARDROCK

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_123450.shtml

PS

My first Mountain bike was a Stumpjumper!

NJFINSFAN1
08-28-2006, 04:06 PM
TREK 4300

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_123244.shtml

The Confessor
08-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys, I have spent some time on MTBR... good to read the reviews as much as anything. That is how I wondered upon the Hardrock to begin with.

Funny thing Spraty is I cant find the Sledgehammer in any of the reviews.:wink:

I am gonna start hardtail as my primary motivation is to rehab the knee (Which means mostly street to begin with) but I live about 1 mile from a premier Mountain bike area (at least as far as Tucson/Arizona goes) entitled Fantasy Island. I have looked into "Lockouts" ala the Rockhopper and a Cannondale, just too much for me to spend right now. Afraid Mamma would make me take money out of my gun allowance to make up the difference:shakeno:

Marty. Double Pnemonia? How the heck did that happen man?

NJFINSFAN1
08-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys, I have spent some time on MTBR... good to read the reviews as much as anything. That is how I wondered upon the Hardrock to begin with.

I am gonna start hardtail as my primary motivation is to rehab the knee (Which means mostly street to begin with) but I live about 1 mile from a premier Mountain bike area (at least as far as Tucson/Arizona goes) entitled Fantasy Island. I have looked into "Lockouts" ala the Rockhopper and a Cannondale, just too much for me to spend right now. Afraid Mamma would make me take money out of my gun allowance to make up the difference:shakeno:

Yep, that's why I'm upgrading my bike, my wife thinks its cheaper!:rolleyes: She does not know I will spend over $2000 doing it!

I just brought Mavic crossmax Tubless Rims with Specialized Pro tubless tires! It cost me just under $400 for each rim!:boohoo:

Next I'm upgrading to XTR!

Then I need to replace my Hayes Mechanical disk breaks!

Then a new front and rear shock with lockouts!

I won't ride in the streets, to dangerous!

I live right in the hub of Northeast MTBing

From my door I can ride Ringwood state Park and the Ramapo Mountains!

20 minute car ride to Waywayander State Park, and many more real close!

NJFINSFAN1
08-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Me and some buddies in Va, after doing the Southern Traverse in Oct!
Man that was one long tough hard ride! Can't wait to do it again!
I'm second from the left!

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=http://www.imageshack.us/v_images.php)

cnc66
08-28-2006, 08:37 PM

just did...changed my life too. I went from a ripped athlete to an old fat guy in short order. Breath is life. Two Christmases ago I nearly died from bronchial pneumonia. I was at home recovering from that when I found F/H. Anything that moves into my chest gives me fits. I am one of those people that someday I'm going to get the damned bird flu and die two days later. I LOVED riding and was pretty good too. I carry some interesting scars from my mt biking days, and I miss it.

NJFINSFAN1
08-28-2006, 08:40 PM
just did...changed my life too. I went from a ripped athlete to an old fat guy in short order. Breath is life. Two Christmases ago I nearly died from bronchial pneumonia. I was at home recovering from that when I found F/H. Anything that moves into my chest gives me fits. I am one of those people that someday I'm going to get the damned bird flu and die two days later. I LOVED riding and was pretty good too. I carry some interesting scars from my mt biking days, and I miss it.

Wow! Nothing can be done???

I know what you mean, I would miss getting out on my bike, with groups of friends or by myself.

Yeah, the scares are all over my legs and arms! Broke my hand last year!

cnc66
08-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Yep, that's why I'm upgrading my bike, my wife thinks its cheaper!:rolleyes: She does not know I will spend over $2000 doing it!

I just brought Mavic crossmax Tubless Rims with Specialized Pro tubless tires! It cost me just under $400 for each rim!:boohoo:

Next I'm upgrading to XTR!

Then I need to replace my Hayes Mechanical disk breaks!

Then a new front and rear shock with lockouts!

I won't ride in the streets, to dangerous!

I live right in the hub of Northeast MTBing

From my door I can ride Ringwood state Park and the Ramapo Mountains!

20 minute car ride to Waywayander State Park, and many more real close!

That's what I did to my 930's. Upgraded to XT and tried a ton of expensive bars and posts, bent most of them. I also taco'd a couple rims a year and bent two sets of forks...at the same place too. It hurt just as bad the second time only more people were laughing. I rode at 203lbs and light weight was not always good. Never bent or broke my frames.

NJFINSFAN1
08-28-2006, 09:01 PM
That's what I did to my 930's. Upgraded to XT and tried a ton of expensive bars and posts, bent most of them. I also taco'd a couple rims a year and bent two sets of forks...at the same place too. It hurt just as bad the second time only more people were laughing. I rode at 203lbs and light weight was not always good. Never bent or broke my frames.

My big problem is I always rode between 170 and 180, but the past year I hit 205! It killed my uphills and long range riding!

I'm back down to 190 and feeling great on my bike again!

And yes, it does hurt! Man my area is all rock gardens! And they don't get any softer over the years! I just get softer!:boohoo: