PDA

View Full Version : Can someone pleae explain to me how the Patriots are still a SuperBowl favorite?

DolfanTom
08-29-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm really getting sick of this. Radio show after radio show, TV show after TV show, Vegas odds, and what not, I still keep hearing how the Patriots are still a favorite to get to the big game?

WTF???

Let me get this straight, they're coming off their worst season in years (10-6), lost in embarrassing fashion in the second round - then proceed to get rid of some of their best players and, perhaps (no definitely), the most clutch/money kicker the game has ever seen. Essentially, what I'm trying to say is - they got worse!!

Now, I understand BB is a genius of sorts (but recall, who was the guy HE called for defensive advice, even after winning SuperBowls ... hmmm, I believe it's a former LSU coach who now resides in SoFla), and that Tom Brady is the Derek Jeter of football, but c'mon!! Football is the ultimate team sport and you can't just lose all these key players, disrupt chemistry and still expect to win consistently.

And it's not like they're coming off another SuperBowl - they're coming off a very average 10-6 season and a bad playoff loss!!

Where does this add up? Frankly, my highly biased opinion sees us easily taking the division this year. My sort of reasonable side at least sees us as fighting season long with the Patsies for the title right to the end. But even if the Patsies beat us out, I don't see them getting close to the big game in this AFC atmosphere.

Someone, please explain to me where I'm wrong on this?

Perfect23
08-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Bacuase they trhink Tom Brady is the best QB which I can agree with and they think Bill Billicheck is the best Head coach which aint true

Mike13
08-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Tom Brady is the Derek Jeter of football

Hey hey hey old on a second.........Jeter is gay?

ThePats
08-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Bacuase they trhink Tom Brady is the best QB which I can agree with and they think Bill Billicheck is the best Head coach which aint true
And what is Saban the best coach for making a team 9-7? You're a f*cking idiot, and thats pretty much the bottom line.

By the way its spelt Belichick you tard.

And I havent heard much people say the Pats are favorites. I have heard the great and mighty Fins will face the Carolina Panthers.

Mike13
08-29-2006, 11:46 PM
I have heard the great and mighty Fins will face the Carolina Panthers

Those predictions suck they said Cincy will go 8-8 and the entire NFCE will go 9-7.

I would just take that with a grain of salt.

ThePats
08-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Those predictions suck they said Cincy will go 8-8 and the entire NFCE will go 9-7.

I would just take that with a grain of salt. Indeed the SI predictions' sucked but I have heard it from other places and people as well. But I'm cool with the Pats as underdogs.

BuffaloSoldier2
08-30-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm really getting sick of this. Radio show after radio show, TV show after TV show, Vegas odds, and what not, I still keep hearing how the Patriots are still a favorite to get to the big game?

WTF???

Let me get this straight, they're coming off their worst season in years (10-6), lost in embarrassing fashion in the second round - then proceed to get rid of some of their best players and, perhaps (no definitely), the most clutch/money kicker the game has ever seen. Essentially, what I'm trying to say is - they got worse!!

Now, I understand BB is a genius of sorts (but recall, who was the guy HE called for defensive advice, even after winning SuperBowls ... hmmm, I believe it's a former LSU coach who now resides in SoFla), and that Tom Brady is the Derek Jeter of football, but c'mon!! Football is the ultimate team sport and you can't just lose all these key players, disrupt chemistry and still expect to win consistently.

And it's not like they're coming off another SuperBowl - they're coming off a very average 10-6 season and a bad playoff loss!!

Where does this add up? Frankly, my highly biased opinion sees us easily taking the division this year. My sort of reasonable side at least sees us as fighting season long with the Patsies for the title right to the end. But even if the Patsies beat us out, I don't see them getting close to the big game in this AFC atmosphere.

Someone, please explain to me where I'm wrong on this?

Are you being serious? I hate the Pats but would you honestly bet against them? What have the Dolphins proven? They haven't been to a Super Bowl since the 80s and had a 6 game winning streak where they beat alot of bad teams (barely).

Culpepper isn't close to Brady and as much as the media loves to blow Saban, a lot of average coaches go 9-7 (see Mularkey). The Pats have shown consisently that they can plug in average players and have them make plays. Player for player on paper, Miami maybe the more talented team. But that means crap in football.

I just defended the Pats and their bandwagon fans. I feel dirty. :(

Mike13
08-30-2006, 12:26 AM
a lot of average coaches go 9-7 (see Mularkey).

If comparing Saban to Mularkey makes you feel better, go right ahead and make yourself look like an ***.

ThePats
08-30-2006, 12:54 AM
Belichick > Saban to whoever the guy who posted this thread.

The guy has something like 5 rings and an amazing stint in New England. Last year he was definitley the coach of the year with all that the Patriots had to go through and still reach the Divisional Playoffs. Not to mention Bill Parcells never would have won any of his Superbowl's without Belichick as his coordinator.

DolfanTom
08-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Are you being serious? I hate the Pats but would you honestly bet against them? What have the Dolphins proven? They haven't been to a Super Bowl since the 80s and had a 6 game winning streak where they beat alot of bad teams (barely).

Culpepper isn't close to Brady and as much as the media loves to blow Saban, a lot of average coaches go 9-7 (see Mularkey). The Pats have shown consisently that they can plug in average players and have them make plays. Player for player on paper, Miami maybe the more talented team. But that means crap in football.

I just defended the Pats and their bandwagon fans. I feel dirty. :(
Dude, we could go 8-8 this season, that's not my point. I just don't see how the Patsies could possibly make it to the SuperBowl this year. MUCH weaker team than the team that lost in the 2nd round last year - and the AFC is sitll loaded. That's my point! How are they a "Favorite"??? Look at the Vegas odds, listen to ESPN, FOX, etc. Everywhere, it's "the Patriots have to be a favorite to get to the SuperBowl."

I'm not buyin' it! Screw the Patsies!

DolfanTom
08-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Belichick > Saban to whoever the guy who posted this thread.

The guy has something like 5 rings and an amazing stint in New England. Last year he was definitley the coach of the year with all that the Patriots had to go through and still reach the Divisional Playoffs. Not to mention Bill Parcells never would have won any of his Superbowl's without Belichick as his coordinator.

At this point, I'm not even questioning this. Of course BB is better right now. Perhaps forever, I don't know?

All I'm saying is Saban is the man BB always called for advice! When a guy like BB is asking for advice, I want to hire the guy he's getting the advice from!!

muscle979
08-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Indeed the SI predictions' sucked but I have heard it from other places and people as well. But I'm cool with the Pats as underdogs.

I've already asked for some of these many other articles picking the Fins in another thread and I got nothing in return. I think outside of SI everybody is picking the Pats to be better than the fins. I'd hardly call that being an underdog.

Majpain
08-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Because they got the football god, Tom Brady.

DolfanTom
08-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Because they got the football god, Tom Brady.
I'm half waiting for John Madden to say "Tom Brady is the Brett Favre of football!"

cnc66
08-30-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm half waiting for John Madden to say "Tom Brady is the Brett Favre of football!"

:sidelol: be careful what you wish for....

Majpain
08-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Thats right after Favre retires, Tom will inherit the title of Football god. My bad.

EBMisfit
08-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Thats right after Favre retires, Tom will inherit the title of Football god. My bad.That is, unless Favre doesn't unretire five seconds later or Brady is no longer playing football.

EBMisfit
08-30-2006, 11:07 AM
I have heard the great and mighty Fins will face the Carolina Panthers.:link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link:

muscle979
08-30-2006, 11:14 AM
:link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link::link:

It's on Sports Illustrated's site. But he can't back up his claim any further that "almost everybody" is picking the dolphins over the Pats. Mostly because he's wrong. He'd like to think his Patsies are some kind of underdogs this season but in reality they are still the favorites with almost everybody.

DolfanTom
08-30-2006, 11:16 AM
It's on Sports Illustrated's site. But he can't back up his claim any further that "almost everybody" is picking the dolphins over the Pats. Mostly because he's wrong. He'd like to think his Patsies are some kind of underdogs this season but in reality they are still the favorites with almost everybody.
Yes, and this is driving me nuts! I see the Patsies taking a big dive this season!!

EBMisfit
08-30-2006, 11:43 AM
It's on Sports Illustrated's site.I know, but I was hoping that when he/it/she posted only that one lousy link, to remind him/it/her that just about everyone else is picking someone else.

Beyond that, I think SI has become overrated anyway, or at least too focused on the "Illustrated" part of its name. They only cover a few select games a week during the regular season and one's lucky to get an article or two a week during the offseason. For real news and in-depth coverage, give me The Sporting News, Pro Football Weekly, or even Sports Weekly any day. Even U.S. Today's Monday edition has better coverage of every game than SI does.

retired opfinistic
08-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I just defended the Pats and their bandwagon fans. I feel dirty. :(you should:D

EBMisfit
08-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Yes, and this is driving me nuts! I see the Patsies taking a big dive this season!!Favorites to win the division, I don't have too much of a difficulty seeing, although I do see the 'Phins as a definite contender. To win the SB, though, takes extra prescription strength rose-colored glasses.

DolfanTom
08-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Favorites to win the division, I don't have too much of a difficulty seeing, although I do see the 'Phins as a definite contender. To win the SB, though, takes extra prescription strength rose-colored glasses.
No doubt about our SuperBowl chances. I'd be very surprised if we made it THAT far THIS year.

EBMisfit
08-30-2006, 12:08 PM
No doubt about our SuperBowl chances. I'd be very surprised if we made it THAT far THIS year.Actually, I was talking about their SB chances, with the special homer glasses being worn by their fans. Not that I think the 'Phins will get that far either, just that neither should be considered anywhere near the favorite to win it all.

retired opfinistic
08-30-2006, 12:09 PM
No doubt about our SuperBowl chances. I'd be very surprised if we made it THAT far THIS year.I can see playoffs, division, even, this year. Next year: World Champs!

muscle979
08-30-2006, 12:52 PM
I know, but I was hoping that when he/it/she posted only that one lousy link, to remind him/it/her that just about everyone else is picking someone else.

Beyond that, I think SI has become overrated anyway, or at least too focused on the "Illustrated" part of its name. They only cover a few select games a week during the regular season and one's lucky to get an article or two a week during the offseason. For real news and in-depth coverage, give me The Sporting News, Pro Football Weekly, or even Sports Weekly any day. Even U.S. Today's Monday edition has better coverage of every game than SI does.

You can call him out on that but he'll just ignore it. He knows the Pats are still the favorites, he just wants to pretend they're not.