PDA

View Full Version : Reality Or Racist TV?

BAMAPHIN 22
08-30-2006, 12:52 PM
he newest edition of CBS' popular television series "Survivor" has an interesting twist — segregation. In the early rounds, there will be four teams or "tribes" competing against each other: the White Tribe, the Hispanic Tribe, the African-American Tribe, and the Asian-American Tribe. There is no truth to the rumor that the winner will go up against the Hooded White Sheeted tribe.

I'm not an expert on this show. I saw an episode or two in the very first season. However, my main reaction was the same as it is to most "reality shows:" where is the reality? I find it hard to worry about someone who is supposedly in danger when I know that just off-camera is an entire film crew, medical personnel, and dozens of doughnuts.

But if I understand it correctly, competitors on "Survivor" have to figure out puzzles and pass various physical challenges. In the case of the newest survivor, the winner gets a million dollars. In the producers' minds, the show must have been getting a bit stale for them to come up with the new race-based version.

The host and producers of the show say that this idea came to them after interviewing many prospective contestants and seeing how important their culture and "ethnic pride" were to them. They also suggest that the show could actually help race relations, because it might dispel some long-held racial stereotypes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/30/opinion/garver/main1949281.shtml

Coral Reefer
08-30-2006, 01:00 PM
he newest edition of CBS' popular television series "Survivor" has an interesting twist — segregation. In the early rounds, there will be four teams or "tribes" competing against each other: the White Tribe, the Hispanic Tribe, the African-American Tribe, and the Asian-American Tribe. There is no truth to the rumor that the winner will go up against the Hooded White Sheeted tribe.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/30/opinion/garver/main1949281.shtml

WTF?

Why does that line even have to be put into this article by this idiot. Already, someone is TURNING this show into a racial divide. This story is the only thing could be racist about the show. You can bet though that once something goes wrong for one of the groups someone out there or maybe even some groups will start "the show is biased" crap.

Scrap
08-30-2006, 01:05 PM
WTF?

Why does that line even have to be put into this article by this idiot. Already, someone is TURNING this show into a racial divide. This story is the only thing could be racist about the show. You can bet though that once something goes wrong for one of the groups someone out there or maybe even some groups will start "the show is biased" crap. I agree. Someone will be screaming about how unfair it is.

A Wing Pilot
08-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Reality.

People of alike backgrounds and beleifs tend to live with/near eachother This is nothing new and has been going on since the dawn of time. I think this is a great thing to try.

What will most likely happen is lets say the white group beats the hispanic group, then the headlines read the "man " keeping hispanics down. If the hispanics win, the underdogs pulled one out. I really hate for this to happen, but find it a most intrigiung experiment. It's not like they got a group of KKK, a group of Nazi's and a group of minorities, they got a good sample of what makes up this country.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
08-30-2006, 01:11 PM
brilliant idea by CBS. people will watch it now. black people will root for the blacks, asians will root for the asians, hispanics will root for hispanics, and the whites will say this is so racist and that they have tons of minority friends and can't imagine competing against them.

Slainte
08-30-2006, 01:17 PM
brilliant idea by CBS. people will watch it now. black people will root for the blacks, asians will root for the asians, hispanics will root for hispanics, and the whites will say this is so racist and that they have tons of minority friends and can't imagine competing against them.
lol.....i agree....this will breathe new life into an other wise dead show...with all the contraversy and who ha! I may watch just b/c it may be interesting. People need to keep there panties out of a twist

Spray Mucus
08-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Why wasn't it sexist when it was guys vs girls?

Leave it up to our society to yell racism on something like this.

I may actually watch this year.

beeing half white, half mexican, half asian, and 3 quarters black, I really don't know who to root for.

Slainte
08-30-2006, 01:19 PM

beeing half white, half mexican, half asian, and 3 quarters black, I really don't know who to root for.
No Ninja American????

Scrap
08-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Lotta halfs. There goes that math again.

Spray Mucus
08-30-2006, 01:22 PM
No Ninja American????

I guess survivor couldn't find four willing to participate. :confused2

Mike13
08-30-2006, 01:25 PM
I hope they just didn't get a bunch of sterotypes. That could give some viewers a negative image of a race. Or they might show some one form one group making racial slurs against another. I don't like this idea one bit.

Spray Mucus
08-30-2006, 01:33 PM
I hope they just didn't get a bunch of sterotypes. That could give some viewers a negative image of a race. Or they might show some one form one group making racial slurs against another. I don't like this idea one bit.

actually that would be awesome.

arr the asians take their shoes off before they go into their huts and use chopstricks when eating rice.

all the african americans beat box, rap, and play craps.

all the caucasians insist on working on a old beat up truck and have 10 other parked beaten up cars in the front of there hut.

all the Mexicans wait out in front of the islands hardware store for a days pay.

Note: I'm only going off all steretypes. beeing half white, half mexican, half asian, and 3 quarters black, I have to live with these everyday of my life, thus beeing ok for me to point out. Thank you.

Lappy
08-30-2006, 01:49 PM
actually that would be awesome.

arr the asians take their shoes off before they go into their huts and use chopstricks when eating rice.

all the african americans beat box, rap, and play craps.

all the caucasians insist on working on a old beat up truck and have 10 other parked beaten up cars in the front of there hut.

all the Mexicans wait out in front of the islands hardware store for a days pay.

Note: I'm only going off all steretypes. beeing half white, half mexican, half asian, and 3 quarters black, I have to live with these everyday of my life, thus beeing ok for me to point out. Thank you.

as a caucasian, I'm offended, my cars aren't beat up there experienced.

Mike13
08-30-2006, 01:52 PM

They said hispanics not mexicans, not all of us are mexican.

inFINSible
08-30-2006, 01:53 PM
....and then secretly root for the white people.

Spray Mucus
08-30-2006, 02:06 PM
They said hispanics not mexicans, not all of us are mexican.

I did say I was stereotyping.

Spray Mucus
08-30-2006, 02:07 PM
as a caucasian, I'm offended, my cars aren't beat up there experienced.

oh so that's why they get all the high paying jobs... yeah right! it's because they are white! admitt it!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
08-30-2006, 02:11 PM
....and then secretly root for the white people.
well duh.

Mike13
08-30-2006, 02:36 PM
I did say I was stereotyping.

OK.

Gonzo
08-30-2006, 02:54 PM
I did say I was stereotyping.:lol:

BAMAPHIN 22
08-30-2006, 06:13 PM
GM pulls its ‘Survivor’ sponsorship

Company says reason has nothing to do with show dividing teams by race

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/08/7c36c23dabaf4c40ac240a216f013acdhmedium-1.jpg (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/)

General Motors Corp. has decided to end its sponsorship of CBS’ hit series “Survivor,” but the world’s largest automaker said Wednesday that the decision had nothing to do with the reality show’s controversial decision to divide its contestants in the upcoming season by race and ethnicity.

GM spokeswoman Ryndee S. Carney said the company made the decision in the normal course of making its media buys months ago, before the show made its recent announcement.

“I think it’s just a coincidence. I know it’s not cause and effect,” Carney said.

A group of New York City officials have criticized the new format, saying it promotes divisiveness. They have asked CBS to reconsider its plans.

“How could anybody be so desperate for ratings?” City Councilman John Liu asked last week.

Show creator Mark Burnett said Tuesday that many of those criticizing the new approach haven’t ever seen the show and don’t understand how it works.

“By putting people in tribes, they clearly have to get rid of people of their own ethnicity,” he told The Associated Press during a conference call (http://www.srch-results.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=77&k=conference%20call). “So it’s not racial at all.”

For the first portion of the 13th edition of “Survivor,” which premieres Sept. 14, the contestants competing for the $1 million prize while stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific will be divided into four teams — blacks, Asians, Hispanics and whites.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14589787/

Mike13
08-30-2006, 07:42 PM
“How could anybody be so desperate for ratings?”

Because the show sucks.

dolfan72734me
08-30-2006, 09:07 PM

Dang, spray. That means you are one heck of a two and a quarter man.

PassRush
08-31-2006, 12:39 AM
I disagree with most of the posts so far. As many people on this board know, I am not exactly the bastion of political correctness but in my opinion, this a step backwards. The producers are really going out on a limb to keep the ratings up. People talk about true racial equality, it is not going to happen; not until the media stops using the race card as a ratings tool(UPN, I am looking in your direction).

CharlestonPhan
08-31-2006, 10:03 AM
No Ninja American????

oh, they are there... you just dont see them. they wouldnt be very good ninjas if you did.

SpurzN703
08-31-2006, 03:23 PM

Personally I could care less what the hell happens on this SHOW. It's just a show. Nothing real about it.

When will reality TV go away? I hope sooner then later

Spray Mucus
08-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Personally I could care less what the hell happens on this SHOW. It's just a show. Nothing real about it.

Well your Mr. brightside and just about everything arn't you?

Lappy
08-31-2006, 05:39 PM
oh so that's why they get all the high paying jobs... yeah right! it's because they are white! admitt it!

we get high paying jobs because we're better in the sack.

we also don't have a sexual preference so we'll take what we can get.

all and all white people are whores. whores who sleep with everyone

Spray Mucus
08-31-2006, 05:45 PM
we get high paying jobs because we're better in the sack.

we also don't have a sexual preference so we'll take what we can get.

all and all white people are whores. whores who sleep with everyone

I'm everybody, will you sleep with me?

Lappy
08-31-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm everybody, will you sleep with me?

you're too big of mix of races for me so no........also I'm Yugoslavian, so I'm not as good as a normal white person.

but I have a friend who will.

Nappy Roots
08-31-2006, 05:50 PM
racism? how the hell is this racism? is it the best idea to divide by race? not imo, but not racist.

ill watch it though...and root for the whites, so i can look at my friends and laugh, point and say we beat you...

then theyll say "shut up cracker" and ask why the hell i would watch that show, they dont give a ****.

Spray Mucus
08-31-2006, 05:51 PM
you're too big of mix of races for me so no........also I'm Yugoslavian, so I'm not as good as a normal white person.

but I have a friend who will.

same friend who installed my ice maker?

if so, already did him, so I'll pass.

Lappy
08-31-2006, 06:05 PM
same friend who installed my ice maker?

if so, already did him, so I'll pass.

oh so that's all Yugoslavians can do? Install ice makers?

You're a racist!

Spray Mucus
08-31-2006, 06:20 PM
oh so that's all Yugoslavians can do? Install ice makers?

You're a racist!

I'm not racist!

Yugo's can't even do that. They can't do anything. They can't even get on Survivor.

Lappy
08-31-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm not racist!

Yugo's can't even do that. They can't do anything. They can't even get on Survivor.

I know there is no Yugoslavians representing on Survivor. I'm pissed about it but as a people we're to busy installing ice machines to really watch or care about the program.

NMNB
08-31-2006, 08:09 PM
I know there is no Yugoslavians representing on Survivor. I'm pissed about it but as a people we're to busy installing ice machines to really watch or care about the program.

:evil:

Mike13
08-31-2006, 11:20 PM

Tru dat reality shows suck.

oh, they are there... you just dont see them. they wouldnt be very good ninjas if you did.

I see all.