PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance

GCD960
08-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Is it benefecial for my wife and i to both have family coverage with our jobs or for one of us to have family and the other to have single?

I dont know much about it but my wife wants it but i dont think it makes sense.

Any ideas?

Roman529
08-31-2006, 12:58 AM
If I had kids I would definitely get family coverage (if you can afford it). I am single and have been paying for my own insurance the last three years (about $180/month) but I am going to cancel it. It is kind of risky going without out but I think almost 40% of Americans don't have insurance. I think they need to come up with an affordable comprehensive national healthcare program for everyone, like they do in Canada....I doubt it will happen here because the doctors don't want to take a pay cut.

Slappy8800
08-31-2006, 01:48 AM
i havent had insurance in like 3 years...sucks when i have to go to the doctor

DonShula84
08-31-2006, 04:44 AM
Is it benefecial for my wife and i to both have family coverage with our jobs or for one of us to have family and the other to have single?

I dont know much about it but my wife wants it but i dont think it makes sense.

Any ideas?

If you have family you shouldnt need single. Seems like you'd be paying twice for insurance that way. I'd talk to the HR person at your work, they usually have answers to questions like this. You dont want to make a mistake and find out when you need the insurance that you did something wrong.

HelenaBucket
08-31-2006, 07:11 AM
If I understand your question correctly, it can be beneficial for you both to have coverage through each of your employers. You would carry the primary coverage for yourself, your wife would provide primary coverage for herself. You each would provide secondary coverage for each other. The same condition would exist if you have children. What you need to do is figure out if the cost of the premiums for both of you to be covered with your respective employers would be more or less costly than what you would pay for out of pocket expenses if you were to opt for only one insurer to cover the whole family.

SpurzN703
08-31-2006, 03:27 PM
I added my wife to my coverage recently. I have Kaiser Permanente as my provider.

It's a few bucks more for me a month, but it saves her money since her work's insurance was about 50.00 more a month.

It works for me but not necessarily everyone.

GL!

DrAstroZoom
08-31-2006, 04:21 PM
One other thing: you don't mention if you have kids, but if you don't, many health insurance companies now have an option called "Employee Plus One" which offers a significant savings over family coverage. But regardless, you both shouldn't need family coverage.