PDA

View Full Version : Do music videos still matter?

BAMAPHIN 22
08-31-2006, 02:50 PM
It may be hard to notice amid all the cleavage and bling, the high-ticket swag and champagne-soaked after-parties. But at Thursday's MTV Video Music Awards, a few moments actually will be spent honoring the year's most compelling music videos.

Music videos -- remember them? Those tiny movies set to music that once dominated the programming at MTV and VH1? A quarter-century after their birth, it's hard to remember that videos once seemed to herald the end of audio-only music consumption.

Sure, artists still release videos to accompany their hits. But do they still matter at a time when MTV is best known for its reality shows and so many of us consume music via iPod while multitasking?

Veteran music video director Dave Meyers -- whose "Stupid Girls" video for Pink will be vying for the "best pop video" award at this year's VMAs -- believes still they do.

"I don't think the form of music videos will ever get lost," says Meyers. "It'll have its revival. I think it's already happening with YouTube and all these new forms of being able to view and share videos. But MTV certainly is making it harder and harder to catch videos."

Which makes the task of creating a hot one all the more difficult.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/31/music.mtvvmaawards.ap/index.html

Nappy Roots
08-31-2006, 02:54 PM
for album sales it does.

dreday
08-31-2006, 02:56 PM
I agree with Meyer that the art will never be lost.The main thing is to have a good song.Then people will pay more attention to the videos.

Pagan
08-31-2006, 03:21 PM
It depends on the music. Metal thrives overseas and to some extent here, and there are few if any videos on TV anymore.

If the music is good, you don't need the video....that's the bottom line.

In_Flames
08-31-2006, 03:24 PM
It depends on the music. Metal thrives overseas and to some extent here, and there are few if any videos on TV anymore.

:yes:

Nappy Roots
08-31-2006, 03:36 PM

i definitly agree that if the music is good, you dont need a video. however, in hip hop, it doesnt end up like that most the time sadly. if you dont get on the radio or on tv you most likely aint selling in hip hop..

Pagan
08-31-2006, 03:41 PM
i definitly agree that if the music is good, you dont need a video. however, in hip hop, it doesnt end up like that most the time sadly. if you dont get on the radio or on tv you most likely aint selling in hip hop..
Bro unfortunately that's popular music in general.

Back in the late 80's when hair band metal was huge, that's all you saw were videos. I never could stand them.

The only video I like from a band I like is a live concert video.

But it seems that to reach the largest audience possible you need them. One of the reasons I'm glad metal went back underground. :yes:

Nappy Roots
08-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Bro unfortunately that's popular music in general.

Back in the late 80's when hair band metal was huge, that's all you saw were videos. I never could stand them.

The only video I like from a band I like is a live concert video.

But it seems that to reach the largest audience possible you need them. One of the reasons I'm glad metal went back underground. :yes:

yea, i dont know much about other genres, but have read some posts, and i figured this was the case with metal and most music as well.

Pagan
08-31-2006, 04:09 PM
yea, i dont know much about other genres, but have read some posts, and i figured this was the case with metal and most music as well.
EVERY form of music gets ruined when it gets too popular. It's always been that way.