PDA

View Full Version : USA basketball loses to Greece

Martel
09-01-2006, 07:07 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/wbc2006/news/story?id=2568543

101-95. Dayum.

Ferretsquig
09-01-2006, 08:01 AM
The exact same storyline as last time. A great bunch of athletes....none of whom can consistantly knock down the three or have even the most rudementary offense runs into a disciplined team that plays the 2-3 zone well and has two 7' monster manning the middle to discourage anyone from going inside.

You can get away with scoring half your points off steals and on the fast break for only so long. Eventually they are going to have to get these players to play some organized basketball if they ever want to win anything in the olympics.

guatemalanfan
09-01-2006, 08:29 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/wbc2006/news/story?id=2568543

101-95. Dayum.

what?!?!?

MiamiDolphins34
09-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Spain to the final woot woot!

firestorm
09-01-2006, 08:58 AM
USA basketball is over, Spain will be the next world champion and the current basket dream team. Greece-Spain is the final, and Spain wins!!.
AUPA ESPAÑA!!

MiamiDolphins34
09-01-2006, 09:00 AM
USA basketball is over, Spain will be the next world champion and the current basket dream team. Greece-Spain is the final, and Spain wins!!.
AUPA ESPAÑA!!

Lets win first:lol:

guatemalanfan
09-01-2006, 09:15 AM
AUPA ESPAÑA!!

:lol: Greece will kill 'em... Vamos Grecia

phinman1
09-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Paging Ray Allen and Michael Redd. USA Basketball can't seem to figure out that in the International game you need SHOOTERS. Basically Anthony is the best outside shooter on the team and he is streaky. Outside shooting is a bit of a lost are in the NBA, as everything is focused on athleticism. That doesn't cut it in these types of games. I also believe Kobe would have made a difference.

UCFinfan86
09-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Paging Ray Allen and Michael Redd. USA Basketball can't seem to figure out that in the International game you need SHOOTERS. Basically Anthony is the best outside shooter on the team and he is streaky. Outside shooting is a bit of a lost are in the NBA, as everything is focused on athleticism. That doesn't cut it in these types of games. I also believe Kobe would have made a difference.

i totally disagree. Ray Allen declined the invite(because kobe was originally on the team) I also think the team would have done worse with kobe. This team was passing pretty good and sharing the ball, not complaining bout minutes or anything. Kobe would have most likley complained and wouldn't have passed. Kobe is a selfish prick.

phinman1
09-01-2006, 10:10 AM
i totally disagree. Ray Allen declined the invite(because kobe was originally on the team) I also think the team would have done worse with kobe. This team was passing pretty good and sharing the ball, not complaining bout minutes or anything. Kobe would have most likley complained and wouldn't have passed. Kobe is a selfish prick.

Yeah, they passed the ball well, didn't complain....and lost. Allen did decline, but my bigger point was about outside shooting. Redd, and even Adam Morrison would have helped. Why have Jamison on the squad? Nice player, but wouldn't you rather have a pure shooter in this type of tournament?

As for Kobe, you're a Kobe hater. Fine. I believe in crunch time he would have taken over.

UCFinfan86
09-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Yeah, they passed the ball well, didn't complain....and lost. Allen did decline, but my bigger point was about outside shooting. Redd, and even Adam Morrison would have helped. Why have Jamison on the squad? Nice player, but wouldn't you rather have a pure shooter in this type of tournament?

As for Kobe, you're a Kobe hater. Fine. I believe in crunch time he would have taken over.

I am a kobe hater. But as for taking over the game in crunch time, is Kobe really better then Wade or James in crunch? i dont think so. I agree about Jamison, there are a bunch of other player i would rather have then Jamison on the team. A pure shooter like Redd would have been nice, but didnt he decline because his wife was having a baby? i think it was him that declined for that reason. Also Morrison? ehh i dont think so, if you want to take a college shooter, even though i don't like him i think JJ woulda have been a better choice over morrison, even though i dont think either shoulda been on the team.

One problem this team had is they used all 12 guys to much, i think they shoulda left to core (wade, anthony, bron) on the court more.

PHINATIC13
09-01-2006, 11:12 AM
I am a kobe hater. But as for taking over the game in crunch time, is Kobe really better then Wade or James in crunch? i dont think so. I agree about Jamison, there are a bunch of other player i would rather have then Jamison on the team. A pure shooter like Redd would have been nice, but didnt he decline because his wife was having a baby? i think it was him that declined for that reason. Also Morrison? ehh i dont think so, if you want to take a college shooter, even though i don't like him i think JJ woulda have been a better choice over morrison, even though i dont think either shoulda been on the team.

One problem this team had is they used all 12 guys to much, i think they shoulda left to core (wade, anthony, bron) on the court more.

Nuff said!

GreenMonster
09-01-2006, 11:14 AM

Yes, Yes he is.. Kobe is the best player in the NBA hands down to me like him or not.. 3 rings, 80 point game and a better shooter than Wade or Lebron will ever be most likely.. Kobe would have certainly helped this squad, teams would actually have to respect his shooting..

BAMAPHIN 22
09-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Our Big Fat Greek embarrassment

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/09/franjpbko12609011054widec-1.jpg (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14617585/displaymode/1176/rstry/14617395/)
Carmelo Anthony and Team USA was beaten by a more cohesive team on Friday.

Call it “Our Big Fat Greek Embarrassment.”

Yet another international basketball competition, yet another disappointment from a USA squad culled from the ranks of NBA superstars and slapped together in a few weeks to try to outlast a field made up of teams that have been working together so long that the players know each other’s extended families.

The U.S. will move on to the bronze medal game against the loser of Spain-Argentina, but it will be their flopperoo in the semis against Greece that will stand as testament to its continued impotence in world play. The team will eventually disperse, the Americans will move on to their various business interests and prepare for their pro seasons, and the FIBA World Championships will be yet another irritant in the memory.

Yet this one was more than just the run-of-the-mill sleepwalk through an odd-shaped lane. It was a microcosm of everything that is wrong with USA basketball on an international level, and a stern reminder that the remedy is not right around the corner.

Unfortunately, this may be the fate of USA basketball for the foreseeable future, no matter how many character guys they bring in. Get used to it.

The USA lost to Greece, 101-95, in the first of the two semifinal games in Saitama, Japan Thursday night after a disturbing collapse that saw the Americans go from a cushy 12-point lead and an apparent breeze to a four-point deficit at halftime and a shocking shift in momentum. It was the first time Greece had ever beaten the U.S.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14617395/

phinman1
09-01-2006, 12:03 PM

We'll just have to agree to disagree about Kobe. Rest assured however, that you are wrong. As for Morrison, I saw him play in the summer league here in Orlando, and he was simply money from the outside, and had the crowd and even the other players oohing and ahhing. As for JJ, his back wouldn't let him play, but even he would have been a better fit than Jamison.

Amars
09-01-2006, 12:07 PM

As Hater as they come. No matter what kobe does some people will never like him. He can be the league assit leader and they will still come up with some lame excuse.

Ferretsquig
09-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Also Morrison? ehh i dont think so, if you want to take a college shooter, even though i don't like him i think JJ woulda have been a better choice over morrison, even though i dont think either shoulda been on the team.

They could of used both Morrison and Redick. They could of taken last year's Duke team with the addition of Morrison and gone a lot further. At least those guys know how to play some defense and shoot the ball.

Melo was the only one playing half way decent. Wade was holding onto the ball far too much, taking lousy shots and making even worse decisions. Lebron hasnt played all that well in any of the games. The only thing he knows how to do when facing the zone is launch threes.

The team that was beating the Greeks was one with Melo, JJ, and Hinrich.

GreenMonster
09-01-2006, 12:39 PM
They could of used both Morrison and Redick. They could of taken last year's Duke team with the addition of Morrison and gone a lot further. At least those guys know how to play some defense and shoot the ball.

I would think that you were kidding if I didn't know you better.. What a Duke/Morrison lover you are.. When did Redick and Morrison learn to play great D because both are sub-par at best..

Ferretsquig
09-01-2006, 01:34 PM
I would think that you were kidding if I didn't know you better.. What a Duke/Morrison lover you are.. When did Redick and Morrison learn to play great D because both are sub-par at best..

I'm a Carolina alum....I have no love for Redick or Duke. As Greece should of showed everyone, you do not need great individual defenders or offensive talents. You need five guys playing together. There is only one guy on the Greek squad who would even have a chance in the NBA, and thats solely because hes young, big, and athletic. Put any of them one-on-one against a US player and they would get torched.

Duke is just an example. Take any major program that is well coached and stock full of upperclassmen. There just arent that many that exist anymore with everyone going to the NBA. Take Carolina in a couple years if anyone is still there.

Roman529
09-01-2006, 02:37 PM
GREECE???

Man this is more embarrasing than losing to the Italian pizza waiters in the Olympics. :mad:

Urpes
09-01-2006, 09:18 PM
This team is set up so dumb. Give D-Wade the ball, that's all you have to do. Let him drive, drive, and drive. Have Paul dish it to him. When D-Wade gets doubled teamed, give it to LeBron. When he's double teamed, give it to the inside man. Repeat. It should be Wade-LeBron-Paul-Inside man. Carmello Anthony was the worst thing that happened to this team.

Jaj
09-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Kobe can play better defense than any of the big three, shoot the 3 better than the others, and can play team basketball or take it upon himself whenever he needs to. It's just popular to hate Kobe just like it's popular to hate the Yankees and love the Red Sox. Honestly who liked the Red Sox outside of Boston ten years ago? Very few...

Fresh
09-01-2006, 10:40 PM
AUPA ESPAÑA!!
Look, you're excited......

USA is the basketball mecca of the world, and it always will be.

What happens if players in Spain play excellent? Yeah, they come over to the USA to play in a real league. We have like 2-3 out've our 10 best players in the league over there right now, and we're still the most talented. We just can't seem to close out the big games, I don't know what it is. I didn't get to watch many games because of the ******ed schedule, but I could really care less. NBA > FIBI.

I hope Carmelo Anthony isn't around in 2008 though. Prop him all you want, he's a ball hog.

djfresh47
09-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Kobe will be on the Olympic team and I believe Billups has an opportunity to also be on the team. Hate him all you want but Kobe is a star who actually can hold his own defensively and I think Billups will be a starter for that team also. We can second guess the picks all we want but let's face it two guys on this team won't be there during the Olympics. As much as people hate on Kobe he's going to have to be leader on the Olympic team for the team to win gold. The team has one more game but something to look into during the NBA regular season is if the constant play slows down some of the players.

UCFinfan86
09-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Kobe can play better defense than any of the big three, shoot the 3 better than the others, and can play team basketball or take it upon himself whenever he needs to. It's just popular to hate Kobe just like it's popular to hate the Yankees and love the Red Sox. Honestly who liked the Red Sox outside of Boston ten years ago? Very few...

So your saying i hate kobe cuz its the popular thing? and that i hate the yankees and like the redsox because its the popular thing as well??

UCFinfan86
09-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Kobe will be on the Olympic team and I believe Billups has an opportunity to also be on the team. Hate him all you want but Kobe is a star who actually can hold his own defensively and I think Billups will be a starter for that team also. We can second guess the picks all we want but let's face it two guys on this team won't be there during the Olympics. As much as people hate on Kobe he's going to have to be leader on the Olympic team for the team to win gold. The team has one more game but something to look into during the NBA regular season is if the constant play slows down some of the players.

And wade doesn't hold his own defensively?? Didn't he get 2nd team D?

djfresh47
09-02-2006, 01:39 AM
And wade doesn't hold his own defensively?? Didn't he get 2nd team D?

I don't think anybody held their own defensively vs Greece guarding the pick and roll. They gave up 101 points and regardless of the outside shooting the defense let them down. I think Kobe is a better defender and player than Wade others may feel differently but when saying a guy is 2nd team all defense it really means nothing because the international game is very different in terms of style than the NBA game IMO. I think we need to stop comparing the NBA players/rankings to the international competition as Greece beat a team with many all-stars without a single NBA player. The sooner fans can realize that some players no matter how good they are in the NBA are poor fits for the international game the better. If Team USA does not win the Gold in the olympics it will not be because of the offense. The team was missing two key components and that was Kobe and Chauncey. Now as I said before two guys who are on this team playing right now will not be there and maybe even more if Coach K decides a different lineup is the way to go. Let's also remember that Gilbert Arenas will be available who got hurt early on.

Jaj
09-02-2006, 03:37 AM
So your saying i hate kobe cuz its the popular thing? and that i hate the yankees and like the redsox because its the popular thing as well??

For the vast majority yes. You do have one thing in your favor though, your not a Patriot fan. In that case then your legit and not an ESPN created sports fan.

nyjunc
09-02-2006, 07:51 AM
I thought K was the answer to the struggles for USA Basketball? That game looked like a duke Sweet 16 game.

Metal Panda
09-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Look, you're excited......

USA is the basketball mecca of the world, and it always will be.

Except now it can't back it up with achievements. The USA hasn't won a gold in HOW long? Course I know it's tough for Americans to admit somebody is better than them at ANY sport that isn't soccer.

I was rooting for the US to win this time (I admit I laughed the last time they fell flat on their faces), but this is why I don't like the "world champions" moniker when you win a championship in a league that spans one continent.

The NBA probably is the best "basketball league" in the world, but that's not what this competition was about. This was about best country.

Great job laying an egg, guys :/. They looked past Greece, plain and simple.

305TillIDie
09-02-2006, 10:29 AM
i saw this game the other day..USA couldnt stop Greece's pick and roll..Greece were killing the US on the boards, hustle plays

on offense, the US wasnt moving and setting the offense up, it was mostly guys standing around and not doing their job..US deserve to lose that game..Greece played with wayyy more focus and out played the US

the bad part of all of this also is that Greece was held to 14 points in the first quarter..but scored over 80 points in the other three quarters

Amars
09-02-2006, 12:21 PM
How bout the fact the USA team reverted back to their current NBA ways of 1 on 1 basketball. This team cant shoot or guard from the perimeter if thier life depended on it.

FinsNYanksFan13
09-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Except now it can't back it up with achievements. The USA hasn't won a gold in HOW long? Course I know it's tough for Americans to admit somebody is better than them at ANY sport that isn't soccer.

I was rooting for the US to win this time (I admit I laughed the last time they fell flat on their faces), but this is why I don't like the "world champions" moniker when you win a championship in a league that spans one continent.

The NBA probably is the best "basketball league" in the world, but that's not what this competition was about. This was about best country.

Great job laying an egg, guys :/. They looked past Greece, plain and simple.

American basketball is # 1 in the world no matter who these World Championships crown. Put Kobe, Shaq, KG, Tim Duncan, T-Mac, and Jermaine O'neal on this team and they'd win every game by 20 points. America has a good team with the guys they have now but imagine if every top player in the NBA showed up this year like they did in 92. They'd dominate. The problem is American basketball players are all about the NBA and not the Olympics and World Championships. Why? Because the NBA teams are the ones cutting their 20 million dollar checks to play. Unless USA basketball is going to start paying these guys a healthy amount of money (which I don't even think they can do), you can expect guys to continute to pledge allegience to the NBA, not the World Championships and Olympics!

UCFinfan86
09-02-2006, 03:48 PM
For the vast majority yes. You do have one thing in your favor though, your not a Patriot fan. In that case then your legit and not an ESPN created sports fan.

Well i ain't the ****ing vast majority

Metal Panda
09-02-2006, 04:52 PM
American basketball is # 1 in the world no matter who these World Championships crown. Put Kobe, Shaq, KG, Tim Duncan, T-Mac, and Jermaine O'neal on this team and they'd win every game by 20 points. America has a good team with the guys they have now but imagine if every top player in the NBA showed up this year like they did in 92. They'd dominate. The problem is American basketball players are all about the NBA and not the Olympics and World Championships. Why? Because the NBA teams are the ones cutting their 20 million dollar checks to play. Unless USA basketball is going to start paying these guys a healthy amount of money (which I don't even think they can do), you can expect guys to continute to pledge allegience to the NBA, not the World Championships and Olympics!

National teams in inter-country competitions for most sports almost never have the absolute best available, there are always players whom decline or are injured. Besides, this was the best team assembled since the original Dream Team. Would a team of this caliber have lost 10-15 years ago? Probably not. Would the original Dream Team dominate the same way today? Probably not, although I think they'd still win and without question.

Sure, you can lay claim that USA basketball is the best in the world, only now it's speculative with nothing to back it up. Keep in mind the growing population of European players in the league whom are major contributors in the NBA, anyway.

If these international competitions didn't mean squat in regards to America's stature in international basketball, tell that to the dejected American players.

Fresh
09-02-2006, 05:15 PM
American basketball is # 1 in the world no matter who these World Championships crown.

Exactly, and there's really nothing more to be said.

Honestly, who else could care less about these World Championship games? :confused:

NBA Finals >>>>> FIBI "World" Championship

FinsNYanksFan13
09-02-2006, 05:19 PM
National teams in inter-country competitions for most sports almost never have the absolute best available, there are always players whom decline or are injured. Besides, this was the best team assembled since the original Dream Team. Would a team of this caliber have lost 10-15 years ago? Probably not. Would the original Dream Team dominate the same way today? Probably not, although I think they'd still win and without question.

Sure, you can lay claim that USA basketball is the best in the world, only now it's speculative with nothing to back it up. Keep in mind the growing population of European players in the league whom are major contributors in the NBA, anyway.

If these international competitions didn't mean squat in regards to America's stature in international basketball, tell that to the dejected American players.

I understand your point but I still say that every country at full strength America wins by 20. When you don't have guys like Shaq, KG, and Tim Duncan, guys who shoot over 50 percent, rebound, block shots, and open up the perimeter for the shooters and slashers not playing, it's not going to be as easy as if you had these guys. I think that's something that people have neglected to see with Team USA nowadays. Before the last Olympics they would have at least 1 or 2 dominating big guys on the team (92 Ewing, Robinson, and Malone, 96 Shaq, Robinson, Malone, Olajuwon, 00, Garnett, McDyess in his prime, and Zo). Notice that in 2000 the games started to get closer when the quality of the Center started to fade (Zo didn't even play those Olympics because he was sick). Now take it to 2004 and notice that the only player who saw a bunch of playing time and played in the paint was Tim Duncan. What happened in those Olympics, America took the Bronze. If America wanted to dominate basketball again they must get the best big guys in the game to play in the games. Add Duncan, KG, and Shaq on this Olympic team and it's a wrap, the U.S. would win every game by 20. I know the rest of the world is catching up to us and are getting better at basetball but I still feel that toe to toe, with every country's best representing them we take it hom easily. Get big guys and re-teach the Americans to shoot free-throws and their would be domination once again IMO. I think Jerry Colangelo messed up by making guys make it a 3 year commitment to have to be on this team. He should tell Shaq, KG, and Duncan that they have roster spots in 08 and won't be needed until then, this way they might have a change of heart and play!

Ferretsquig
09-03-2006, 11:32 AM
He did tell that to Shaq. But he still isnt going to play, and in three years time Howard and Oden should be better players anyways. I dont think its a lack of size that did in the Americans, moreso a lack of experience. Its just a different brand of basketball, and NBA players dont know how to play it. Guys who never played in college are especially clueless, as we saw with Lebron. Hopefully there will be some impetus not only to get better but to take some of the international concepts and integrate them into the NBA.

Metal Panda
09-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Exactly, and there's really nothing more to be said.

Honestly, who else could care less about these World Championship games? :confused:

NBA Finals >>>>> FIBI "World" Championship

The team, that's for sure.

Also, why do I have the feeling that if the USA had won, your tone would be different?

King Felix
09-04-2006, 01:40 AM
as much as i hate kobe(which is ALOT)...this team needs him plain and simple....i think kobe would share the ball just as much as anyone else if he was on the team.

Boik14
09-04-2006, 01:43 AM
maybe if tweaked the lineup to give paul more mins and push the tempo a little more. No one is going to cover lebron and wade in the oepn court.

Time to put our best starting 5 lineup out there. I dont believe weve been doing that. IMO it should be:

PG: Paul
SG: Wade
SF: Bron
PF Brand
C: Bosh

Nappy Roots
09-04-2006, 01:47 AM
maybe if tweaked the lineup to give paul more mins and push the tempo a little more. No one is going to cover lebron and wade in the oepn court.

Time to put our best starting 5 lineup out there. I dont believe weve been doing that. IMO it should be:

PF Brand

you have to be able to shot long range agaisnt the zone to do anything, and you have zero people that can do that.

Boik14
09-04-2006, 01:48 AM
the big problems i have with the criticism team usa is getting is that:
A: These guys just went through an 82 game season...and in some cases 10-20 more playoff games...+ preseason.
B: A lot of these countries train together year round and so its much easier for them since they already have a gameplan in place and a familiarity with teammates where as nba players play against each other not with them.

Boik14
09-04-2006, 01:50 AM
you have to be able to shot long range agaisnt the zone to do anything, and you have zero people that can do that.if you push the ball in the open court (using 2 dominating rebounders like brand and bosh) you can then outlet into the open court and then put to use the athletic ability of the other guys. And then you dont worry about playing against a zone...

King Felix
09-04-2006, 01:52 AM
they need a big guy who likes to bang.....imo.....kobe and a big guy.....i dont know who that guy would be, maybe oden :confused2

firestorm
09-04-2006, 10:48 AM
I think NBA nowadays is the best basketball league, they pay more than Europe and have the best players around the world, this is evident!! but i think NBA lost of the magic and honor years ago and nowadays it's overrated... USA has the best athleticals, physicals and biggers players in the world but this is not enough with the european team's competitive (and south-americans like Argentina). USA don't use any pick&roll, don't know attack a zone man coverage, don't use any foult in the last seconds of a game (like vs. Greece) and the most important, they haven't a team spirital, only use his great individualities and physical/athletical game... and this game is an autentical circus!!!!
Spain joins all of this importants things and have demonstrated that it's the best team in the world!!. QUE VIVA ESPAÑA!!!

Ferretsquig
09-04-2006, 12:45 PM
if you push the ball in the open court (using 2 dominating rebounders like brand and bosh) you can then outlet into the open court and then put to use the athletic ability of the other guys. And then you dont worry about playing against a zone...

What do you do against a team like Greece which automatically drops two guys back after every shot? Chances to run are few and far between. This team's problem was never finishing in the open court....they are impressive dunkers.

PF Brand

Paul and Wade were really exposed as lousy shooters from beyond the arc. Bosh played so well that by the end of the exhibition he couldnt get off the bench. Howard was the only big guy that played well. If Duncan cant be convinced to play hes going to be the main guy at C in the olympics.

Section126
09-04-2006, 11:44 PM
What do you do against a team like Greece which automatically drops two guys back after every shot? Chances to run are few and far between. This team's problem was never finishing in the open court....they are impressive dunkers.

Paul and Wade were really exposed as lousy shooters from beyond the arc. Bosh played so well that by the end of the exhibition he couldnt get off the bench. Howard was the only big guy that played well. If Duncan cant be convinced to play hes going to be the main guy at C in the olympics.

Yeah..Wade is a lousy shooter. Ask the Mavs.

Team USA's problems was physical play. The need rebounding. Back to basics. REBOUND. REBOUND. REBOUND. REBOUND.

They better get a Wallace/Marion/ type to win the gold.

djfresh47
09-07-2006, 12:00 AM
they need a big guy who likes to bang.....imo.....kobe and a big guy.....i dont know who that guy would be, maybe oden :confused2

Amare Stoudamire is eligible for the '08 team. I have a feeling that the team that plays in the Olympics will look alot different from the one who played in the World Championships. Billups, Bryant, Stoudamire, Redd, Marion, Arenas all could be on that team. I'd be surprised if Bryant, Billups, Redd, Pierce were not playing in the Olympics and 4 guys who played in the World Championships are not.