PDA

View Full Version : Mos Def arrested at VMAs guess why

Walking25
09-03-2006, 12:19 AM
He was a few verses into his 2005 song "Katrina Clap," which criticizes President Bush's handling of the hurricane, when officers made him stop.
"As soon as he was made aware of the police presence, he shut everything down," said Carleen Donovan, a spokeswoman for the rapper and actor. "His staff and team were willing to comply as well, but the police overreacted."
The 10 p.m. performance by the 32-year-old rapper and actor, born Dante Terrell Smith, wasn't a scheduled part of MTV's festivities

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/02/AR2006090200523.html

Mos Def - Katrina Klap (Dollar Day) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=E2FlcRVTuCA) heres the whole song

Majpain
09-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Good song.

Celtkin
09-03-2006, 09:16 AM
It seems like you are intentionally try to mislead your readers.

First of all, he wasn't arrested. He was given a citation. Secondly, it had nothing to do with the content of the song, as I believe you imply. He was given a summons for violating a ordinance.

Police officers patrolling the event issued the performer a summons for operating a sound system without a permit Thursday after he arrived at Radio City Music Hall in a pickup truck and hastily set up a portable stage.

The Confessor
09-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Ummmm. MOS DEF? I thought it was a typo. No offense intended.

Nappy Roots
09-03-2006, 01:16 PM

and you cannot understand the name why?

Den54
09-03-2006, 03:03 PM

Its a clever name he created to distract you from his crappy music.:lol:

Nappy Roots
09-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Its a clever name he created to distract you from his crappy music.:lol:

same old ****, different day

Den54
09-03-2006, 03:09 PM
same old ****, different day

MOS DUM.:rolleyes:

305TillIDie
09-03-2006, 03:12 PM
same old ****, different dayyou aint lying about that

Nappy Roots
09-03-2006, 03:13 PM
MOS DUM.:rolleyes:

damn. you are the coolest dude ever! gezzus, i wish i could be like you. coming into a thread that your not wanting in and ****ting on other peoples interests with some extremely unfunny and dumb jokes...damn man. i wish i could be you.

:sidelol:

Den54
09-03-2006, 03:17 PM
damn. you are the coolest dude ever! gezzus, i wish i could be like you. coming into a thread that your not wanting in and ****ting on other peoples interests with some extremely unfunny and dumb jokes...damn man. i wish i could be you.

:sidelol:

I don't need a personal invite. I gave my opinion on the guys music.
You got a problem with it take it up with a Mod.

305TillIDie
09-03-2006, 03:20 PM
I don't need a personal invite. I gave my opinion on the guys music.

he has "crappy" music to you?

thats like saying Jason Taylor sucks at defensive end

i dont think you even heard a Mos Def song

Nappy Roots
09-03-2006, 03:20 PM
I don't need a personal invite. I gave my opinion on the guys name.

what are you like 40 years old? give me a break. i shouldnt have to take it up with a mod. we dont go into rock threads or whatever the **** you listen to and talk about how bad the music is.

also, its been said many many times already, by Mods...if you dont like rap, dont come in the thread and talk bad about it..

aint that ****ing hard to understand.

Den54
09-03-2006, 03:26 PM
what are you like 40 years old? give me a break. i shouldnt have to take it up with a mod. we dont go into rock threads or whatever the **** you listen to and talk about how bad the music is.

also, its been said many many times already, by Mods...if you dont like rap, dont come in the thread and talk bad about it..

aint that ****ing hard to understand.

Actualy it is,for you. Where did I talk bad about rap in general?

Nappy Roots
09-03-2006, 03:28 PM

have you ever even heard of mos def? even if youve ever even heard his name, im willing to bet, youve never heard his music.

so saying his crappy music..means what then?

305TillIDie
09-03-2006, 03:28 PM

"crappy music"

thats not talking bad about a guy thats great in rap?

The Confessor
09-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Sorry, I still dont get the MOS DEF thing. Sorry I'm not down guys, instead of coming in "All gangsta, why doesnt somebody take a minute and explain. Its not that hard to do is it?

Den54
09-03-2006, 03:34 PM
have you ever even heard of mos def? even if youve ever even heard his name, im willing to bet, youve never heard his music.

so saying his crappy music..means what then?

Alot of assumptions being made by you and 305. Not to mention the lack of reading comprehension skills. Good day to the two of you.

Nappy Roots
09-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Alot of assumptions being made by you and 305. Not to mention the lack of reading comprehension skills. Good day to the two of you.

thank god

Nappy Roots
09-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Sorry, I still dont get the MOS DEF thing. Sorry I'm not down guys, instead of coming in "All gangsta, why doesnt somebody take a minute and explain. Its not that hard to do is it?

has nothing to do with being gangsta....

of course, if your a rapper, you must be a gangsta though

The Confessor
09-03-2006, 03:38 PM
has nothing to do with being gangsta....

of course, if your a rapper, you must be a gangsta though

Okay, another slap and I still have no idea what MOS DEF means. Never heard of him, the phrase or anything else, nothing........

Maynard the Hammer
09-03-2006, 03:57 PM
he has "crappy" music to you?

thats like saying Jason Taylor sucks at defensive endno its not. its like saying any other band or person sucks

anyway, i like mos def. i was a little disappointed with his last album and this latest stuff doesnt make me too excited about getting the new one. his older stuff is better anyway

305TillIDie
09-03-2006, 04:01 PM
no its not. its like saying any other band or person sucks

anyway, i like mos def. i was a little disappointed with his last album and this latest stuff doesnt make me too excited about getting the new one. his older stuff is better anywayit was a point..if they dont like hip hop or dont listen to it, why did they come in and bash it?

i dont get that

Maynard the Hammer
09-03-2006, 04:03 PM
it was a point..if they dont like hip hop or dont listen to it, why did they come in and bash it?

i dont get that'cause my buddy AZ is almost an old man :tongue::sidelol:

#1 Fan
09-03-2006, 04:07 PM
the ignorance is funny to me. using "gangsta" when talking about mos def, is like saying you don't like pink floyd because of bubble gum lyrics.

the guy is not gangsta at all. in fact preaches against it. that does happen in hip-hop.

Gonzo
09-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Okay, another slap and I still have no idea what MOS DEF means. Never heard of him, the phrase or anything else, nothing........

It has dual meanings. It means both Most Definetly and Most Def. Def as in slang for cool; cool in the soul/bluesy sense.

Of course, I could be wrong. Slang changes faster than any other part of language I think.

Nappy Roots
09-03-2006, 04:18 PM
the ignorance is funny to me. using "gangsta" when talking about mos def, is like saying you don't like pink floyd because of bubble gum lyrics.

the guy is not gangsta at all. in fact preaches against it. that does happen in hip-hop.

what? you dont think he'd rob you in the back alley at night?

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Nappy Roots
09-03-2006, 04:20 PM
It has dual meanings. It means both Most Definetly and Most Def. Def as in slang for cool; cool in the soul/bluesy sense.

Of course, I could be wrong. Slang changes faster than any other part of language I think.

basically.

Mos=most Def=slang for saying the ****, tight, cool, crazy, hot, radical, etc.

The Confessor
09-03-2006, 04:20 PM
'cause my buddy AZ is almost an old man :tongue::sidelol:

:tantrum: Dam*it, I am already an old man, no almost about it. Get it right next time Maynard:D....

more and more slaps... and still I have no idea what MOS DEF is? I am being called ignorant (Which in this case is very true) but nobody has stepped (is that a word) to the plate and informed me....

DISCLAIMER EDIT: The previous two posts were being posted as I went on this tirade. Thanks to both of you, my
"Culture" IQ just went up a notch.:wink: . Bring on double Jepordy Alex.... I'll take MOS DEF for the whole enchilada.

Maynard the Hammer
09-03-2006, 04:23 PM
basically, all AZ knows of this guy is that he showed up and performed uninvited a song that criticizes bush and got in trouble for it. obviously the first impression is not a good one.

Gonzo
09-03-2006, 04:24 PM
:tantrum: Dam*it, I am already an old man, no almost about it. Get it right next time Maynard:D....

more and more slaps... and still I have no idea what MOS DEF is? I am being called ignorant (Which in this case is very true) but nobody has stepped (is that a word) to the plate and informed me....

DISCLAIMER EDIT: The previous two posts were being posted as I went on this tirade. Thanks to both of you, my
"Culture" IQ just went up a notch.:wink: . Bring on double Jepordy Alex.... I'll take MOS DEF for the whole enchilada.
There's enchiladas involved? :eating:

The Confessor
09-03-2006, 04:31 PM
There's enchiladas involved? :eating:

Cmon brother, here in the GOD-FORESAKEN-DESERT, there is always in one way or another Enchiladas involved:wink:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/09/enchiladas-1.jpg

and beer too:D

Gonzo
09-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Cmon brother, here in the GOD-FORESAKEN-DESERT, there is always in one way or another Enchiladas involved:wink:

http://www.sangabrielvalleymenus.com/images/reviews/losgueros/enchiladas.jpg

and beer too:DOh, I know, I'm heading over to Filibertos in a couple of minutes. Actually, I might settle on Julios Too because it's closer. :hi5:

Jaydog57
09-03-2006, 04:38 PM
I've seen Mos Def several times on the Chappelle show in skits. He was pretty funny with that 'yellow cake in the special CIA napkin':sidelol:

tucker
09-03-2006, 05:25 PM
lol@calling mos def "gangsta"

The Confessor
09-03-2006, 05:29 PM
lol@calling mos def "gangsta"

I know your not talking about me. Right?

I am the one that introduced Gansta to this thread, but you really might want to go back and re-read it:wink:

BTW: By everybody's outcry, I take it he isnt Gansta:shakeno: :confused:

FinaciousOne
09-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Check out "16 Blocks" w/Bruce Willis. I thought he was very good in it.

Walking25
09-03-2006, 10:16 PM
by the way Mos Def new CD SEPT 19th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FinsNYanksFan13
09-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Mos Def is one of the most intelligent rappers to bless the mic. He's nothing more then an asset to the game!

Quelonio
09-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Mos Def is one of the most intelligent rappers to bless the mic. He's nothing more then an asset to the game!

Yup, Him, Talib and Handsome Boy modeling school are by far my favorite rappers around.

Quelonio
09-03-2006, 10:34 PM

he was great as the cop in the Woodsman... great movie in general, but he was damn good.

FinaciousOne
09-03-2006, 10:59 PM
he was great as the cop in the Woodsman... great movie in general, but he was damn good.

Thanks, we haven't seen it yet. We'll check it out.

Vertical Limit
09-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Every year, some celebrity gets arrested either before the VMA's begin or after the VMA's is over. This shouldn't be too shocking to anyone.

The Confessor
09-03-2006, 11:44 PM
I kindve like that fat kid from the man show as a rapper. That clip is HILARIOUS.....

*AZ RUNS TO GOOGLE CLIP*

King Felix
09-04-2006, 01:17 AM
if u dont like rap dont post, yeesh its not that hard........

tucker
09-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Yup, Him, Talib and Handsome Boy modeling school are by far my favorite rappers around.ummmm arent they producers?

Gonzo
09-04-2006, 01:58 AM
if u dont like rap dont post, yeesh its not that hard........The elitist rap snobs are just as bad IMO.

Nappy Roots
09-04-2006, 02:01 AM
The elitist rap snobs are just as bad IMO.

:confused2:

ive never seen any rap fans going into every possible rock thread, and downing their music repeatally...where has this happend?

Rocky Raccoon
09-04-2006, 02:06 AM
if u dont like rap dont post, yeesh its not that hard........

what does this thread have to do with liking or not liking rap?

King Felix
09-04-2006, 02:09 AM
what does this thread have to do with liking or not liking rap?it didnt until people came in and made it into that

Gonzo
09-04-2006, 02:11 AM

ive never seen any rap fans going into every possible rock thread, and downing their music repeatally...where has this happend?I'm not referring to rock threads Nappy and I don't consider you a rap snob, though I am sure you know the type I am talking about. There have been a couple in this thread alone. Rock has snobs too, I am not denying that (though I don't only listen to rock. Huge Mos Def and BlackStar fan). Too many actually, particularly indie rock.

Rocky Raccoon
09-04-2006, 02:13 AM
it didnt until people came in and made it into that

sadly, that seems to happen in all threads dealing with a rapper.

King Felix
09-04-2006, 02:15 AM
sadly, that seems to happen in all threads dealing with a rapper.its sad really

King Felix
09-04-2006, 02:16 AM
I'm not referring to rock threads Nappy and I don't consider you a rap snob, though I am sure you know the type I am talking about. There have been a couple in this thread alone. Rock has snobs too, I am not denying that (though I don't only listen to rock. Huge Mos Def and BlackStar fan). Too many actually, particularly indie rock.im not a rap snob am i?

Nappy Roots
09-04-2006, 02:18 AM
im not a rap snob am i?

yes...yes your are C2C. sorry to break it to you...

JK. BTW Gonzo, i think i know what your talkin about....think...and my fault, i thought you were saying something else before.

Gonzo
09-04-2006, 02:21 AM
im not a rap snob am i?Nope, wasn't referring to you either C2C.

Gonzo
09-04-2006, 02:23 AM
yes...yes your are C2C. sorry to break it to you...

JK. BTW Gonzo, i think i know what your talkin about....think...and my fault, i thought you were saying something else before.Every genre has them, what can you do? They only give fuel to the those who don't like a style in general.

phinpunk14
09-04-2006, 03:53 AM

ive never seen any rap fans going into every possible rock thread, and downing their music repeatally...where has this happend?

I recall a thread discussing the new soundtrack for madden where one poster referred to the music as "white trash" simply b/c it wasn't rap.

King Felix
09-04-2006, 04:04 AM
I recall a thread discussing the new soundtrack for madden where one poster referred to the music as "white trash" simply b/c it wasn't rap.:lol: first of all the poster was hysterikill, who doesnt listen to rap (that i know of).

and second of all u misunderstood his post.........go search madden 07 soundtrack and read his post over

phinpunk14
09-04-2006, 04:16 AM
:lol: first of all the poster was hysterikill, who doesnt listen to rap (that i know of).

and second of all u misunderstood his post.........go search madden 07 soundtrack and read his post over

that's funny... after i went back and reread it, i totally didn't take it the way he meant it... apparently, neither did the thirty people that commented on the post.

inFINSible
09-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Was the movie itself any good....I keep passing it over on OnDemand...

FinaciousOne
09-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Was the movie itself any good....I keep passing it over on OnDemand...

I enjoyed it. If you like Bruce Willis, I don't think you'll be disappointed. He plays the washed-up, hungover cop character again, but with him it doesn't seem to get old. If you're in the mood for some action/suspense with a little comedy, it probably beats the alternatives on OnDemand, especially if you've already worked over the list.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
09-04-2006, 10:38 AM
mos def is cool.

dreday
09-04-2006, 11:14 AM
It seems like you are intentionally try to mislead your readers.

First of all, he wasn't arrested. He was given a citation. Secondly, it had nothing to do with the content of the song, as I believe you imply. He was given a summons for violating a ordinance.

Wrong he was arrested:Arrested Part1 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=7zOyr9kJzYc)

Arrested Part 2 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=6n1FELrOdMg)

Apparently they told him to stop the show,he stopped and they pulled a johnson on him.Lame.

dreday
09-04-2006, 11:23 AM
And no pun intended but maybe a thread should be created for the unimformed people who truly want to know something about rap.Every time a thread is created involving a rapper it seems like it either gets hijacked or the music is somehow put down.For all those that really want know and just dont want to try and draw negative attention i'll start one just for you if you want it.Not sure how else to get people to understand the culture.:confused2

Nappy Roots
09-04-2006, 11:24 AM
I recall a thread discussing the new soundtrack for madden where one poster referred to the music as "white trash" simply b/c it wasn't rap.

....OK.

haha.