PDA

View Full Version : Trusting the UN to rebuild Iraq

PhinPhan1227
04-24-2003, 10:08 AM
I find it strange that those who think that the UN should be put in charge of the rebuilding of Iraq, and are also frequently those who decry the "shady" practices of the Bush administration, have no problem with the fact that the UN won't disclose the books on the Oil for Food program, and who'se been getting the money. There have been several reports of severe abuses of the program, but the UN still refuses to allow anyone to see where the money has went...and yet the UN still recieves some peoples unflinching support. Every day that passes I slide more and more into the camp of those who think we should either get out of the UN all together, or keep it solely as a forum for discussing issues/treaties, but without any administrative, or administrative functions.

LeftCoastPhin
04-24-2003, 04:08 PM
I have never liked the UN, and never really thought it had credibility. IMO the only use I have for it is humanitarian aid.

For the most part, from what I've seen, is that the big UN supporters here are tree huggers and liberals.

LeftCoastPhin
04-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Chew on this nugget for a minute: We all know corruption, hypocrisy, and down right stupidity runs rampant in our nation among leadership and the general public YET we are the only super power.

So I am suppose to think that the UN filled with 2nd and 3rd rate countries are gonna do it ethically and smarter? Riiiiiiiiiight.

PhinPhan1227
04-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Lol...I know. As bad as your average US Congressman is, imagine dealing with Warlords and Ambassadors who have their jobs because they are someones cousin!?!?!?!

themole
04-24-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Lol...I know. As bad as your average US Congressman is, imagine dealing with Warlords and Ambassadors who have their jobs because they are someones cousin!?!?!?!

Not only that...but Also...there's the question of National Sovereignty where the UN is concerned.