PDA

View Full Version : PS2/TV Help, please.

Dolfan11
09-03-2006, 11:05 AM
I have a 40 inch Sony Bravia LCD TV. I recently hooked up my PS2 to it, and got it to work fine. However, I was hoping it would look better than having it on a regular Sony Tube TV, and I was wrong. The picture looks blurry, and everything is unreadable. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Maybe I have to change a setting or something that I'm unaware of? I simply just connected the Red, White, Yellow plugs into one of the video slots in back of the TV. Thanks in advance for any help.

Majpain
09-03-2006, 11:22 AM
It may be the TV. I know on the big screen I play on the words are blurred up. I have a LCD computer monitor and the way you angle it matters. Well my advice is as great but wait for more replys.

Desides
09-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Nothing's wrong. You're seeing the true picture the console is generating. Crappy, isn't it? A well-kept secret about TV, VHS/DVD, and video games is that they relied on the less-than-stellar picture quality of CRT/SDTV sets to cover up for lower-quality source material.

If your Bravia is an HDTV (40'', LCD? It'd better be!), you need to do a couple of things first.

One, buy the PS2 component cables. You can probably still pick up the official Sony pack, or barring that, there should be third party cables available. Hook them up to your TV, and you're one-third done.

Second, open your PS2 dashboard (start the PS2 without a game in the disc tray.) Select System Configuration, go down to Screen Size and select 16:9 (assuming your TV is widescreen, which again, it'd better be!) Go down Composite/Component Video Out (could be labeled as either one), and select Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr.

Third, and the most importantly: have a game capable of 480p/Progressive Scan output. The above two steps will improve image quality in your games somewhat, but if the game supports Progressive Scan, you'll see a very noticable jump in image quality.

One other thing; unless the game supports widescreen output, make sure your TV is set to display images in the standard 4:3 ratio, instead of stretching them to fill up the entire screen.

mor911
09-03-2006, 12:40 PM
The thing I hate about the PS2 is it's lack of HD support. I have a Sony Wega 51" RPTV (HDTV). I love it. But the PS2 doesn't. I've gone as far as hooking my PS2 up on my regular TV via s-video because so little games support HD.

The games that do have HD isn't auto-recognized like the Xbox is. You either have to enable progressive scan in the options or some games (it usually says in the instruction manual) you have to hold X + Triangle when loading the game up (annoying).

HDTV Arcade has an awsome list of HD compatibly games across all of the platforms :D

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/index.php?autocom=custom&page=hdlists

Dolfan11
09-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Nothing's wrong. You're seeing the true picture the console is generating. Crappy, isn't it? A well-kept secret about TV, VHS/DVD, and video games is that they relied on the less-than-stellar picture quality of CRT/SDTV sets to cover up for lower-quality source material.

If your Bravia is an HDTV (40'', LCD? It'd better be!), you need to do a couple of things first.

One, buy the PS2 component cables. You can probably still pick up the official Sony pack, or barring that, there should be third party cables available. Hook them up to your TV, and you're one-third done.

Second, open your PS2 dashboard (start the PS2 without a game in the disc tray.) Select System Configuration, go down to Screen Size and select 16:9 (assuming your TV is widescreen, which again, it'd better be!) Go down Composite/Component Video Out (could be labeled as either one), and select Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr.

Third, and the most importantly: have a game capable of 480p/Progressive Scan output. The above two steps will improve image quality in your games somewhat, but if the game supports Progressive Scan, you'll see a very noticable jump in image quality.

One other thing; unless the game supports widescreen output, make sure your TV is set to display images in the standard 4:3 ratio, instead of stretching them to fill up the entire screen.

The Bravia is an HDTV and is Widescreen. I switched the settings on the PS2 to 16:9 and to Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr. On my TV settings, under Wide Mode and 4:3 Default, it gives me the option of selecting Normal/Wide Zoom/Zoom/Full/Off. I have them both set on Normal, causing the image on screen to be smaller than the actual TV. The games I'm playing are Madden 07 and NCAA 07, do those support 480p/Progressive Scan output (I have no idea what to look for to find out)?

I'm off to get the PS2 component cables and then hook them up. Hopefully it won't be blurred out and unreadable like it is now. Thanks for the great and needed help!

Dolfan11
09-03-2006, 12:48 PM
The thing I hate about the PS2 is it's lack of HD support. I have a Sony Wega 51" RPTV (HDTV). I love it. But the PS2 doesn't. I've gone as far as hooking my PS2 up on my regular TV via s-video because so little games support HD.

The games that do have HD isn't auto-recognized like the Xbox is. You either have to enable progressive scan in the options or some games (it usually says in the instruction manual) you have to hold X + Triangle when loading the game up (annoying).

HDTV Arcade has an awsome list of HD compatibly games across all of the platforms :D

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/index.php?autocom=custom&page=hdlists

That's a great link. But I don't really care about the HD. I just don't understand why the PS2 looks sharper and better on a 6 year old Flat-Tube Sony TV, than on this brand new 40 inch LCD Bravia (HD). All I would like to achieve is to have the picture on the Bravia be as good and clear as the regular tube tv. Hopefully, the PS2 components will do that.

GridIronKing34
09-03-2006, 01:07 PM
The PS2 has been out for a good amount of time. 6-7 years I believe, could be wrong there, they were probably set for techonology then and not so much now. Maybe my prediction is ignorant but who knows...

mor911
09-03-2006, 01:26 PM
That's a great link. But I don't really care about the HD. I just don't understand why the PS2 looks sharper and better on a 6 year old Flat-Tube Sony TV, than on this brand new 40 inch LCD Bravia (HD). All I would like to achieve is to have the picture on the Bravia be as good and clear as the regular tube tv. Hopefully, the PS2 components will do that.
The reason it looks better on a tube TV is because the game doesn't support progressive scan (HD) the game is being stretched to fit your HD image. This makes aliasing (the jegged edges around curves in the game world) look worse. The PS2 is horrible at Anti-aliasing.

I play my PS2 on a regular TV because in most cases it does look better. But games (like RE4 and God of War) that supports HD will look phenomenal on your HD set.

Desides
09-03-2006, 06:25 PM
There isn't a single PS2 game that supports HD, because the PS2 isn't powerful enough to run games at HD resolutions. 480p/Progressive Scan is not High Definition. Gran Turismo 4 boasts 1080i support, but it's a hack.

The games I'm playing are Madden 07 and NCAA 07, do those support 480p/Progressive Scan output (I have no idea what to look for to find out)?
Bookmark this link. (http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/index.php?autocom=custom&page=hdlists)

If a game isn't listed on that site, you can go to a review site like Gamespot and look at the technical information. Since Madden 2007 isn't listed on that site, here's its Gamespot page. (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/madden07/tech_info.html) It does support 480p, and prior editions of Madden have supported widescreen, so it's plausible that 2007 does as well.

The reason it looks better on a tube TV is because the game doesn't support progressive scan (HD) the game is being stretched to fit your HD image. This makes aliasing (the jegged edges around curves in the game world) look worse. The PS2 is horrible at Anti-aliasing.
Eh, that's not really it. As I said above, HDTVs are higher-quality displays than SDTV/CRT televisions. The picture you see on HDTVs is how the console's output really looks--you just don't have the benefit of a mediocre television set to cover up for the low-quality output.

The PS2 does suck at anti-aliasing, but that isn't its problem.

Dolfan11
09-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and help. I got the PS2 component cables, and it's great. Just what I expected. Again, thanks for the help.