PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods 5 straight tournament wins

SCall13
09-04-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm not a big golf fan, but this is pretty remarkable.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2573319

unifiedtheory
09-04-2006, 07:34 PM
He's pretty good.

King Felix
09-04-2006, 07:37 PM
He's pretty good.Really? I'm thinking he is just having a few good rounds but isnt really that good.:goof:

unifiedtheory
09-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Really? I'm thinking he is just having a few good rounds but isnt really that good.:goof::tongue:

ChambersWI
09-04-2006, 08:24 PM
remember when everybody said he was done? Funny how they were saying that as late as last year.

He's the greatest golfer of all time, and although I don't follow golf closely outside of the majors, I'm glad that I'll be able to say that I had the pleasure of seeing him in his prime

finswin56
09-04-2006, 09:16 PM
remember when everybody said he was done? Funny how they were saying that as late as last year.

He's the greatest golfer of all time, and although I don't follow golf closely outside of the majors, I'm glad that I'll be able to say that I had the pleasure of seeing him in his prime slump? :lol:

Roman529
09-04-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm not a big golf fan, but this is pretty remarkable.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2573319

I am not a big golf or Tiger fan, but 5 in a row is damn good.

Deep2Evans
09-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Must be nice to earn 5+ million dollars on 3 days of work huh?

Kdawg954
09-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Man, Tiger is amazing . . . and the man is just 30 years old . . . and I believe he has finally "just" reached his prime . . . which in golf can last about 10 years or so. Phil just started winning majors and he is almost 6 years older than Woods . . . Tiger is the greatest golfer ever IMO, and I know I wasn't around for Palmer and Nicklaus in there prime, but I have no doubts that Woods will shatter every record in golf's history and truly be the undisputed greatest golfer of all time. U don't have to like him, but u gotta respect his game . . . when he is on, he is unbeatable, plain and simple.

Looking forward to the Ryder Cup, hopefully we wont get a moron captain who pairs Woods and Mickelson (our 2 best golfers) in one match play group again. :rolleyes:

Roman529
09-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Golf is NOT a sport though...if you can't break your nose doing it, it is not a sport...same with NASCAR.

Kdawg954
09-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Golf is NOT a sport though...if you can't break your nose doing it, it is not a sport...same with NASCAR.

C'mon man . . . u know these guys take about 1000 or more practice swings every day. Try hitting 100 balls, let alone 1000+, it ain't easy man . . . then to have the amazing accuracy some of these guys have and be able to read this crazy azz sloped greens. U probably need to play the "sport" to appreciate it more.

finswin56
09-06-2006, 09:06 PM
C'mon man . . . u know these guys take about 1000 or more practice swings every day. Try hitting 100 balls, let alone 1000+, it ain't easy man . . . then to have the amazing accuracy some of these guys have and be able to read this crazy azz sloped greens. U probably need to play the "sport" to appreciate it more.:up:
The people that I've heard say golf isn't a sport are almost exclusively non-golfers.

Dolphin1184
09-06-2006, 09:26 PM
:shakeno:

YES, It is. And anyone who doesn't think so hasn't hit a golf ball in their life.

Awsi Dooger
09-09-2006, 07:30 AM
The amazing thing about Tiger right now is he's not even at his best. That sounds stupid but anyone who has watched him off the tee knows what I'm referring to. He's still overswinging with the driver and blowing it into the right rough far too often. Lately he's been getting very fortunate to avoid bad lies and tree trouble. Once he gets the driver where it was in 2000, the 5-12 shot victories will show up again.

I saw Nicklaus in his prime and he was the superior putter, but Tiger has a far superior short game and much more creativity in his game. The stinger long irons and even 3 woods are fantastic to watch.

But the biggest difference is Tiger simply avoids critical bogeys. Like Trevino said, the guy he played against would make mistakes down the stretch and Tiger does not. When Tiger does err on Sundays it's the putting letting him down, like this year at the Masters or the '05 US Open. But that seems to happen when Tiger is a bit off in his game period, trying to play from behind which is not his strength. When Tiger is leading on the weekend, his putting is invariably very good.

Admittedly, Tiger came around in an era with guys who seem to fold when he's playing at his best. He sticks his name on the leaderboard on Friday at a major and the rest of the top guns generally stay out of his way. That wasn't the case with Palmer, Player, Watson, Casper, Trevino and the other big guns who Nicklaus faced.

finswin56
09-09-2006, 12:56 PM
I agree with you, Awsi. His driving has plenty of room to improve.

Here's what I find to be an amazing statistical anomaly: Tiger ranks 152nd in Driving Accuracy. Yet he is absolutely blowing the field away ranking 1st in Greens in Regulation. He has his 72.8%, while those tied for 2nd are hitting 70.8% of the greens in regulation. That margin of 2% is staggering on it's own. Factor in his 152nd ranking for driving accuracy, and I just can't wrap my head around it.

finfansince72
09-09-2006, 10:52 PM
It would be exciting to see some of these other golfers actually have good rounds when Tiger is close. These guys fold like cheap lawn chairs everytime Tiger is sniffing the lead. Its sad to watch really. Tiger is the best golfer Ive ever seen but these guys on the tour have no heart. I think things might be different if guys had to win to make money. These turds that choke still make millions.
Golf isnt a sport, I play it. Anyone actually comparing Golf to football, basketball, soccor, etc and the toll those sports take on someones body is just not being honest. WHen ESPN starts comparing Tiger to MJ I just change the channel, I mean when Tiger has to hit a jumper with 3 guys in his face with .3 seconds left Ill start the comparision until then shut up. Theres no defense in golf, thats what makes it a nonsport to me.

Awsi Dooger
09-10-2006, 07:28 PM
It would be exciting to see some of these other golfers actually have good rounds when Tiger is close. These guys fold like cheap lawn chairs everytime Tiger is sniffing the lead. Its sad to watch really. Tiger is the best golfer Ive ever seen but these guys on the tour have no heart. I think things might be different if guys had to win to make money. These turds that choke still make millions.
Golf isnt a sport, I play it. Anyone actually comparing Golf to football, basketball, soccor, etc and the toll those sports take on someones body is just not being honest. WHen ESPN starts comparing Tiger to MJ I just change the channel, I mean when Tiger has to hit a jumper with 3 guys in his face with .3 seconds left Ill start the comparision until then shut up. Theres no defense in golf, thats what makes it a nonsport to me.

Your mind is the defense in golf. The nerves and the mind. That's what makes it the most diabolical sport ever invented. MJ ran around the court and used natural instincts.

I also don't seem to remember wind and rain and sand and contours getting into the way with MJ. Most of those courts look somewhat the same. I'm not taking anything away from MJ or any of the greats in other sports, but to deny golf as a sport or incredibly difficult is not being honest or realistic.

Tiger is at a higher level in his sport than MJ ever was at basketball. And it's not even close.

finfansince72
09-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Your mind is the defense in golf. The nerves and the mind. That's what makes it the most diabolical sport ever invented. MJ ran around the court and used natural instincts.

I also don't seem to remember wind and rain and sand and contours getting into the way with MJ. Most of those courts look somewhat the same. I'm not taking anything away from MJ or any of the greats in other sports, but to deny golf as a sport or incredibly difficult is not being honest or realistic.

Tiger is at a higher level in his sport than MJ ever was at basketball. And it's not even close.

Tiger is a golfer, he will never approach MJ. Golf is extremely difficult, so is Calculus, doesnt make math a sport. The weather arguement is weak, weather is a huge deal in most sports, basketball maybe a exception but cmon, the hold off on playing golf if the weather is bad. Golf is a game of skill, being as great as Tiger is a big deal, Tiger is awesome, but hes never had to play at the level of MJ or the greats in other sports. Does Tiger spend days in pain, have surgeries, will he be walking with a cane when hes older because of Golf?
The mental arguement is weak also, all sports are mental. There were players that could jump and run as fast as guys like MJ, but no one combined what he did mentally and physically. ITs a complete joke to compare Tiger to guys like MJ, Tiger does not have to go through all the pain and he doesnt have the defense to deal with.

Mike13
09-10-2006, 09:57 PM

What about competitive eating? You can run the risk of choking and damaging your esophagus, that is a career ending injury you know.

I know Poker players, who have had their careers cut short due to paper cuts

Tiger is a great golfer, but to compare him to MJ is ridiculous, how do you compare two athletes in two different sports?

LouPhinFan
09-13-2006, 12:44 AM
Tiger really started to take off when he learned to control the distance/trajectory of his irons. The driver has always given him fits, but with precise iron play he can get himself out of those nasty situations. His club head speed is so fast, if his club face is just barely, I mean barely, open at impact then the ball goes screaming right.