PDA

View Full Version : Never assume that an NFL player knows more about football

rafael
09-04-2006, 08:08 PM
I just listened to Chris Cooley, Wash. TE on ESPN. They asked him what an H-back was and he said it was just a designation like an Y or Z receiver. He said it was it was no different than a TE. That was after the ESPN personality guessed it stood for halfback.

For those who don't know, the h stands for hybrid. It's a cross between a FB and a TE. He's usually smaller than a TE. The H-back often lines up in the backfield or at the end of the line, but usually of the line of scrimmage. I've seen it most often used as an extra blocker, but some offenses use it almost like a WR.

09-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Good to know, thanks

HybridPHIN 23
09-04-2006, 08:21 PM

dolphan117
09-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Now thats funny since he himself is an H-back I think.

xiidaen
09-04-2006, 08:25 PM
It is possible that his description is correct -- in the Redskin's offense?

Rocky Raccoon
09-04-2006, 08:30 PM

exactly. I don't understand this thread really :confused2

DOLFANMIKE
09-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Actually, this thread is more a perfect example of a fan that thinks he knows more than he does know. :sidelol:

rafael
09-05-2006, 12:02 AM

Actually, I'm sure it is correct in the Redskins offense, but it's not correct in general football and the fact that he'd never even heard of an H-back as a position is funny.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
09-05-2006, 12:29 AM
Actually, I'm sure it is correct in the Redskins offense, but it's not correct in general football and the fact that he'd never even heard of an H-back as a position is funny.
he was a tight end in college and high school. aside from joe gibbs, there really are no other offenses out that that feature the H-back. he knew the position as gibbs taught him; his only experience with the position. so.........pointless thread.

rafael
09-05-2006, 12:55 AM
he was a tight end in college and high school. aside from joe gibbs, there really are no other offenses out that that feature the H-back. he knew the position as gibbs taught him; his only experience with the position. so.........pointless thread.

Actually Minnesota did when Linehan was there. I'm guessing that both Miami and St. Louis now do as well.

And the point was that I'm sick of all the posts saying nobody can question anything b/c 'the player or the coach or the media personality must know better than you' as if they're incapable of making mistakes.

acmeanvil49
09-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Minnesota still uses an H-back and basically that's what the Dolphins tried to make Utah's TE Ben Moa a couple years ago wh is now listed as a RB for the Jets.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/501486

Someone look on any of the 32 NFL rosters and tell me one that lists an H-back.

You'll see TE and FB but I've never seen an H-back although I've heard people call them an H-back.

Not much different than a LB who lines up at DE.

It's just terminology that teams use for players who line up at both positions like FB Richard Owens who plays for the Vikings.

He's usually smaller than a TE.

#45 Owens is 6'4" and 273 pounds.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/rosters/MIN

He played TE for 4-years at the Univ of Louisville but is listed as a FB on the Vikings roster.

ch19079
09-05-2006, 02:50 PM
you say he is wrong, but your explanation of what the position actually is looks very similar to what he just said.

maybe you misunderstood what he said, or maybe i just misunderstood what you said.... who knows.

MoFinz
09-05-2006, 05:10 PM
So, im guessing you can explain to me the difference between an H-Back and the Wingback in the Power I or even in the Single Wing formation?

This should be stellar......:lol:

PhilliePhinatic
09-05-2006, 06:54 PM
I've seen this a lot, i listen to guys like Hugh Douglas try to give insight on the game and i figure that i can get more information from my Dad than i can get from him, and Douglas was an all-pro player!

Especially around hall of fame week when talk was about players like Aikman, Moon, Reggie. Douglas didn't seem to have a clue what he was talking about, proving to me that he probably wasn't a huge NFL fan growing up like most of us were. But his ability as a player got him into the pro's and he really didn't need to know the game that well.

acmeanvil49
09-06-2006, 04:25 AM
you say he is wrong, but your explanation of what the position actually is looks very similar to what he just said.

Did I say he was wrong?
Where exactly did I say that?

The point of the thread, I'm assuming by the title of the thread ........

"Never assume that an NFL player knows more about football"
........was Cooly from Washington couldn't explain what an H-back is and he plays h-back.

It's just a coaching terminology nothing more my only point would be I wouldn't call Cooley out on it because it was a kind of stupid question in the first place if you know what an H-back is used for.

It's like calling a Monster or a Rover who is just a Safety playing up close to the line like a LB.

It's not like H-back is a new position like the question alluded to anymore than "slash" was a position when Kordell Stewart was used at both WR and QB early in his Pittsburg career.

There is not a single listing for an H-back on any of the 32 teams in the NFL.

An H-back is a TE playing FB no different than a LB moving up on the line as a DE.

ch19079 ...... rafael also said as much himself.