PDA

View Full Version : Jets get #4 pick

dolphan39
04-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Jets Make Blockbuster Deal (http://www.newyorkjets.com/draftday/) turn your sounds off and put on Teal sunglasses before clicking ;)

considering the Lions supposedly will go Rodgers and the Texans AJ who are they after :confused: unless they expect AJ or Rodgers to drop

:jetssuck:

RHoffman
04-25-2003, 01:09 PM
haha what a joke...he isn't even that good.

DNY
04-25-2003, 01:09 PM
Probably Robertson.

dolphan39
04-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Robertson was who the Bears supposedly wanted, but I guess it is a good DT draft and they can get one w/the Skins/Coles pick at 13

RHoffman
04-25-2003, 01:13 PM
is that if Dallas trades up as feared with the Texans to draft Robertson...that could leave the Jets with Andre Johnson...which I don't really like...still I think the Jets would have done better keeping the two first round picks...they are not one player away...

sorry but they just caught lightening in a bottle last year.

RUDEbyallMEANS
04-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Texans and lions better go Johnson and Rogers respectively.... No joke... If the Jets get either one, They are more dangerous on offense than last year...

DOLFANMIKE
04-25-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by dolphan39
Jets Make Blockbuster Deal (http://www.newyorkjets.com/draftday/) turn your sounds off and put on Teal sunglasses before clicking ;)

considering the Lions supposedly will go Rodgers and the Texans AJ who are they after :confused: unless they expect AJ or Rodgers to drop

Given where they are in this draft I'd rather have what they traded away. Not that big a difference IMO between the top picks inside 15.....losing the pick at 22 hurts them.

RHoffman
04-25-2003, 01:19 PM
will be better or more explosive than L. Coles first year in...but down the road...who knows.

RHoffman
04-25-2003, 01:22 PM
to the Jets trade...

"So Dewayne Robertson will be a Redskin in 2 years?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coral Reefer
04-25-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by RHoffman
still I think the Jets would have done better keeping the two first round picks...they are not one player away...

agree totally, adding 2 top notch prospects is a no brainer compared to landing 1 especially looking at the history of 1st rounders anyway. NO one is a guaranteed starter.
Unless of course, like you mentioned, you really feel you are just 1 player away and that prospect fits the mold your looking for to a tee.

Maybe their only concern was having to sign 2 first rounders and the cap implications it would have on them. If that's the case though I'd personally trade one of the picks to move down and pick up more top players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

This is a deep draft for talented prospects. With 2 #1'a trading 1 #1 pick for additional picks in the 2nd and 3rd could allow you to build a very talented 1/4 of your team in one draft.
God knows I'd love to see the Fins with 2 1st round picks and if they did, trading one of them is what I'd be rooting for.

I think the Jets bungled this..... which is a damn good thing! :D

Coral Reefer
04-25-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by RHoffman
is that if Dallas trades up as feared with the Texans to draft Robertson...that could leave the Jets with Andre Johnson

Agree there too.
Seeing another Cane in Jet puke green would be a crime.

Bodzilla29
04-25-2003, 01:30 PM
people.....many draft experts are in agreance that there are 12 can't miss prospects in this draft......the jets were on the cusp of missing out on this crop and were going to get comparable players at 13 and 22.....this is a good move for them......if they get robertson then they get the BEST dlineman in the draft....this guy is a beast and will be HARD to block.....if they get a WR then we are in trouble as well....

either way i believ the jets only HELPED themselves and are going to get a DIFFERENCE maker, which they were not going to get at 13 or 22, in all likelyhood.....

this is BAD news for us....

RHoffman
04-25-2003, 01:34 PM
i think Robertson is a fraud...now if they get Johnson I will change my tune a little bit...

besides this thing about their being 12 people in this draft...I just read that from Clayton...and I think its crap...its media generated spin...otherwise do you think the Bears would have really traded down...its about the players.

Coach_Largent
04-25-2003, 01:37 PM
I think Kevin Williams will be better than Robertson anyway, and they could have had him at 13, and added a player like Sulliavan, Doss, or Henderson if he was to fall ....

good for us, because this move is not a good one for the Jests.

RHoffman
04-25-2003, 01:38 PM
and I had him kind of projected to the Jets...
can you imagine if they got him and Kelley Washington...
yikes.

Bodzilla29
04-25-2003, 01:38 PM
i never say what clayton said...but i have read and heard from people i trust that the number of players that are considered "can't miss" is 12......

why would the media "spin" the number 12??? what do they have to gain by saying this? it isn't an angle for a great story, and it would hardly be called a "scoop" for a reporter......that just doesn't make sense dude....

you see a fraud in robertson, i see a BETTER booger mcfarland.....which is bad news if the jets get this cat......

RHoffman
04-25-2003, 01:39 PM
losing Coles is going to kill them.

Bodzilla29
04-25-2003, 01:41 PM
kevin williams is the fraud of the draft!!! he had one good year at oklahoma state and a lot of people think that as soon as he gets his signing bonus he is going to coast.....

many people also think that he is playiong football because he is good at it, but he real love is hoops.....of course we will never really know the real story and it is all speculation, but i think the jets bettered themselves 100% today....

Predaphin
04-25-2003, 01:44 PM
Damn....Bears got an excellent deal! Jets got ripped off!

Coach_Largent
04-25-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Bodzilla29
kevin williams is the fraud of the draft!!! he had one good year at oklahoma state and a lot of people think that as soon as he gets his signing bonus he is going to coast.....

many people also think that he is playiong football because he is good at it, but he real love is hoops.....of course we will never really know the real story and it is all speculation, but i think the jets bettered themselves 100% today....

People who say he had one good year didn't watch OSU play when he was a JR.

Go back and watch the OU/OSU or OSU/Texas games. He was already a player, and is not a flash in the pan.

Robertson is the fraud. He never once dominated a game the way the Texas or UGA duo's did. (Hampton/Rogers, Stroud/Seymour) Kevin Wilkliams did. Against NFL talent.

Watch the games, don't just read the opinions.

RHoffman
04-25-2003, 01:47 PM
Robertson all they want...

but I just don't see it...and I have watched more Kentucky football then I ever care to admit...including that crazy LSU game last year.

Bodzilla29
04-25-2003, 01:49 PM
name one person who has compared him to booger mcfarland.....that my friend is MY opinion....i didn't buy it off of anybody and i didn't hear it from anybody, except the voices in my head......

you have your opinion and i have mine, and we disagree, which is to be expected on these kinds of boards.....but do not tell me to form my own opinion and make me out to be some guy that "follows" the crowd......

Justasportsfan
04-25-2003, 01:49 PM
Being an AFCE rival, I'm happy. They get one player who may not make an immediate impact. I hope the Pats follow suit. You guys should be happy as well.

Unless they get Rogers.

RHoffman
04-25-2003, 01:54 PM
I respect your opinion...and you know it might turn out for the Jets you never know...

Definitely we can agree to disagree.

Coach_Largent
04-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Bodzilla ...... your comment on Williams' one good year was the remark in question, to me. It is the "HOT" topic when talking about Wiliams, but is comepletely mythical. Watching him as a Junior was watching an NFL calibre player. It's not like he wasn't already on the NFL radar or came from nowhere ...

He was a very good Junior, who has worked hard each season to add to his repetoire ..... and is better as a Senior.

He wasn't junk to jewelry. It's just not true. OSU has defeated OU two years in a row,a nd Kevin Willams presence in the backfield (taking away that delay draw/delay strecth to Q.Griffin) was a VERY BIG reason why. (along with Rashaun Woods schooling the hell out of Woolfolk, and Strait.)

RHoffman
04-25-2003, 01:56 PM
actually I could do without Nebraska...but I didn't get enough OSU, OU, Kansas State, Texas action.

Bodzilla29
04-25-2003, 02:01 PM
well i have seen more of robertson than williams, and i like robertson.....both of them shot up the draft boards to the point of both being "can't miss"......

both players could end up being all pros, and at the same time they could both be a couple of cedric jones'.......we wont know for another couple years......

we'll just have to agree to disagree......but as a disclaimer i'd like to point out that i'd love to have either wearing a phins uni next season.....

Coach_Largent
04-25-2003, 02:02 PM
....but as a disclaimer i'd like to point out that i'd love to have either wearing a phins uni next season.....

I can agree with that. :D

ckparrothead
04-25-2003, 02:06 PM
So, this is really true? The Jets really just got the #4 pick???

minus
04-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Robertson is a beast and it wasn't bad move by the Jets considering Houston may trade down making Johnson available.

Robertson > Williams

Bodzilla29
04-25-2003, 02:07 PM
yup.......for #13, 22 and a conditional pick in next year's draft.....

fairbanksb
04-25-2003, 02:07 PM
ESPN is reporting that the Jets are after Johnathan Sullivan.

BLITZKRIEG
04-25-2003, 02:18 PM
I'm glad the Jets made this trade. The Jets are notoriously known for scewing up 1st round picks. They picked up DE B. Thomas last year, and afterwards, all the Jets fans said he and DE J. Abraham would break the sack record in 2002....:lol: :lol: :lol:

DE B. Thomas never showed anything.....He was a huge bust.

They'll probably take D. Robertson at #4, and losing two very solid picks at {13 and 22} as a result, they'll be wishing they hadn't made this trade....

They only moved up 9 spots, and gave up two high picks, along with a conditional pick as well.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

:cap:

massfinfan
04-25-2003, 02:19 PM
i say they take Johnson since they lost coles. It will be very interesting!!!!

jcroping
04-25-2003, 02:29 PM
im glad the jet lost there 2 1st rounds b/c i was worried they wouldve drafted Bailey.

Coach_Largent
04-25-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by fairbanksb
ESPN is reporting that the Jets are after Johnathan Sullivan.

If that is true, this is getting funnier by the minute.

OMG .......... nice value.

RHoffman
04-25-2003, 02:30 PM
Dallas trading up to three for Robertson there by having Johnson fall in their lap...but I think this just ensures that Houston won't make the trade down because I think that they really need Andre Johnson.

Aqua
04-25-2003, 02:51 PM
IMO a very smart move by the Jets. Everything I'm reading claims only 10-12 top notch players and after that it's interchangeable from 13-40.

Instead of gambling on two players (or one for that matter) that might work out, the Jets will now have their choice of Johnson, Robertson, or by far the best CB in Newman. Any of those three are a far safer bet than rolling the dice further on down.

DOLFANMIKE
04-25-2003, 02:55 PM
people.....many draft experts are in agreance that there are 12 can't miss prospects in this draft......the jets were on the cusp of missing out on this crop and were going to get comparable players at 13 and 22.....this is a good move for them......if they get robertson then they get the BEST dlineman in the draft....this guy is a beast and will be HARD to block.....if they get a WR then we are in trouble as well....

either way i believ the jets only HELPED themselves and are going to get a DIFFERENCE maker, which they were not going to get at 13 or 22, in all likelyhood.....

this is BAD news for us....

If what you are saying is true, and this draft offers the top 12 picks as "Can't miss Players" it would be the first time in NFL history that was the case. No way does this crop guarantee 12 for sure players in the top 12 picks IMO. The Jets should have waited and someone just as likely to star would have fallen to them...again, if not then it would be the first time in NFL history that wasnt the case. They'd have been better off keeping both picks.

PhinPhreak
04-25-2003, 02:58 PM
OK but if they get Johnson, I see it like this, they gave up Coles and their first round to get another receiver who will most likely need at least a half a season to get up to speed. So I don't see the gain in that deal. They could have kept Coles and still had thier first round pick, I realize the cap figures make a difference but even still.

Bodzilla29
04-25-2003, 03:02 PM
dolfanmike.....there is always a cutoffline with the talent in the draft.....this is NOT a new phenomena.....every year i have followed the draft i have heard of the dropoff in talent after pick X......

they aren't saying that there will not be any good players after 12, just that the "top notch" talent is probobly 12 players deep....then the talent level drops off and as somebody else pointed out the players from 13-40 are similar.......of course their values are all slotted, but you aren't losing too much by trading fown after pick 13 or so.......but trading up seems to be beneficial.....

it is obviously not a number i made up.....

RUDEbyallMEANS
04-25-2003, 03:05 PM
I'm a very unbiased Dolphin fan and the Jets have done a damn good job of trading up if they land Andre Johnson, the guy is a freak and will pose problems to us in the near future considering rokkie WR's don't blossom as quick but would an outstanding pick for the future... If the Jets choose Dewayne Robertson, or Jimmy Kennedy, thats a good upgrade...But selecting Sullivan is pretty stupid...they could of gotten him with the 13th pick... I doubt Herman Edwards will screw this up, he's a bright coach and hopefully he does screw up for the sake of my Phins..

HOORAH:drinker:

DOLFANMIKE
04-25-2003, 03:06 PM
dolfanmike.....there is always a cutoffline with the talent in the draft.....this is NOT a new phenomena.....every year i have followed the draft i have heard of the dropoff in talent after pick X......

they aren't saying that there will not be any good players after 12, just that the "top notch" talent is probobly 12 players deep....then the talent level drops off and as somebody else pointed out the players from 13-40 are similar.......of course their values are all slotted, but you aren't losing too much by trading fown after pick 13 or so.......but trading up seems to be beneficial.....

it is obviously not a number i made up.....

I agree Bod......but those 12 players wont all be gone at 13, or for that matter maybe not even at 22. Guys like Randy Moss, Dan Marino, etc have fallen off every year on draft day. I think they blew an opportunity and will only make it worse when they make their pick.
Then again, it's always teams like the Jets that push those top 12 guys back by making lousy picks early!:lol:

RHoffman
04-25-2003, 03:06 PM
got Johnson...bias aside...from the Jet's perspective...

I just don't think Robertson is worth it.

Coral Reefer
04-25-2003, 03:12 PM
people.....many draft experts are in agreance that there are 12 can't miss prospects in this draft......

Come on Bod....

First off IMO draft "experts" are a contradiction in terms.
Albeit they spend hundreds of hours watching film and have as much an educated guess as you can have about how a player will do they are wrong about MANY players coming out of college.
There are NO CAN'T MISS players in any draft.

I bet this board could come up with two dozen can't miss players that never amounted to squat by the end of the day.

I'll start with 3 including 2 past "can't miss" DT

Dan Wilkinson DT Bengals Major bust of epic proportions that was "destined" for stardom

Ryan Leaf QB/brat

Gerard Warren Cle DT Many are mentioning him as a bust after being touted as a "sure thing". He was picked 3rd overall.

Hey their pick may turn out to be an all pro and a major difference maker but who knows..... That's my point, even the "experts" are wrong in the draft game all the time.

Besides, this is the Jets were talking about. The same team that not only passed over Dan Marino but their GM at the time threw in the comment that Marino would'nt make it in the league and that Todd Blackledge was a no brainer over him.

Hee Hee..... Blackledge could'nt even do game commentating well let alone playing QB in them.

Can't agree that the Jets made a good move here. IMO chances are that they'll wish they had kept the 2 choices or traded 1 to move down.

I like that they made this move.

Mr.Murder
04-25-2003, 03:26 PM
The Jets are in WIN_WIN situation now, the top 5 players on board who arent qb are all worth two ones, the dropoff after the top seven to nine players is very considerable.
Now Teaxan cant trade down and still get top notch wr, their hand is forced, jets will get an upifleid DT speed rush power man who will decimate block schmese on pull or trap plays and can get after the qb. Or they add the best speed wr in the draft. the Miami guy is too fast to guard on the line, he will blow by you and has enough weight and sixe to mucle the press. If you play off of him and he catches a slant indies of you with his his shoulders turned he gets 6. This guy best pure wr in there from speed aspect. Big enough to beat physical corners, fast enough to get seperation and make catches under the zone. jets either add the best DT for line stunst and upfield penetraiton, or the best pure speed wr to make teams keep a safety and cb off the line on the side of field he lines up at.

nyrican
04-25-2003, 03:46 PM
I'm thrilled the Jets made that deal, it's going to interesting who they choose with that pick.

Herman Edwards would like to take a pick for more defensive help, the Jets got shredded last year against the run, so the kid from U of K will be the pick he his big strong fast, a baby Sapp if you will...

then there is the case of the loss of Lav Coles it would be sweeeeeeet to see UM Grad Andre Johnson in JET Green

Pennington to Johnson !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TD NEW YORK JETS !!!!!!!
that will be music to my ears if that is the case ...

Prime Time
04-25-2003, 03:53 PM
Not good news...maybe the will go Secondary or LB. You never know.

Justasportsfan
04-25-2003, 03:59 PM
From Ingtar bz
" the Bears have Ragone targeted in round 2. They will now take both a DE and DT... this isn't good for the Bills. (althought they would probably jump at Boss Bailey if he gets past the Rams...)"

Bodzilla29
04-25-2003, 04:17 PM
you can name all the players that busted after being called can't miss.....but i bet you my list of can't miss prospects that have flourished is MANY times larger.....

it's a numbers game....the higher pick you have, the better chances of greatness....the 2 best players of this draft could be picked at #13 and 22.....but i doubt that happens......

what i'm saying is that it is more likely that a guy at #4 becomes a better player than a guy picked at 13......and especially 22......

i like the deal if i'm a jets' fan(thank God i'm not!!!!)......as a phin fan, i don't like it at all.....

we all know the draft is a game of chance......but i like my chances better where the jets are now then where they were......

p.s. draft experts get drilled on who they miss, but who gives them credit for ALL THE HITS they make on picks? if they are right it is "they should be, it is their job...." or "even i knew it was a good pick..." but when they get it wrong they are all "morons, idiots....." or "i could do their job just as well..." not the case(ok, maybe in a few positions...hahah)

Bodzilla29
04-25-2003, 04:24 PM
i believe boomer has said the bears are targetting chris simms in rd. 2.....but rumors are running rampad that they are also looking at kyle boller at #13......who knows what they'll really do......doesn't really bother me who they take, but if they do take players the bills are targetting then i'm all for it!! hehe

Justasportsfan
04-25-2003, 04:32 PM
doesn't really bother me who they take, but if they do take players the bills are targetting then i'm all for it!! hehe

Jerk :lol:

breckenridge55
04-25-2003, 04:33 PM
I do NOT think that the Jets are taking Dewayne Robertson with this pick. The reason they traded up is to get Andre Johnson. I think this means that the Texans must be on the verge of trading their pick to someone. I still think it's the Vikings who want to leapfrog Dallas and grab CB Terrence Newman but we shall see.

Bodzilla29
04-25-2003, 04:37 PM
breck.........every report i have read states that the vikes want to get out of the top 10 so they don't have to spend a God-awful amount of money on a top-10 signing bonus.......moving up doesn't make sense financially for them......and to be honest it looks like mccombs is more concerned with dollars and cents then touchdowns and sacks.....

i think rogers-johnson go 2-3.........all other talk is just wishful thinking....but i could be wrong.....

iceblizzard69
04-25-2003, 07:39 PM
The Jets can't get Andre Johnson, he is too tall to be a Jets WR.

So after the Lions take Rogers and the Texans take Johnson, who will the Jets take. Oh, the Jets get screwed again! :evil:

Justasportsfan
04-25-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69
The Jets can't get Andre Johnson, he is too tall to be a Jets WR.

So after the Lions take Rogers and the Texans take Johnson, who will the Jets take. Oh, the Jets get screwed again! :evil:

:lol: :lol:

SuavePhin
04-25-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by nyrican
I'm thrilled the Jets made that deal, it's going to interesting who they choose with that pick.

Herman Edwards would like to take a pick for more defensive help, the Jets got shredded last year against the run, so the kid from U of K will be the pick he his big strong fast, a baby Sapp if you will...

then there is the case of the loss of Lav Coles it would be sweeeeeeet to see UM Grad Andre Johnson in JET Green

Pennington to Johnson !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TD NEW YORK JETS !!!!!!!
that will be music to my ears if that is the case ...

Damnit will you Flippin Jets stop taking my Canes??? first Moss now Andre!! c'mon enough is enough already, im tired of having to burn former Canes jerseys cause the Puke Greens keep drafting them :lol:

baccarat
04-25-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by SuavePhin

Damnit will you Flippin Jets stop taking my Canes??? first Moss now Andre!! c'mon enough is enough already, im tired of having to burn former Canes jerseys cause the Puke Greens keep drafting them :lol:

The Jets did draft Moss and look how well that turned out.

fin-atic
04-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Another Jet bonehead move. One player when they could have gotten two? I think there is no such thing as a "sure thing" in the NFL.

Barbarian
04-26-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by fin-atic
Another Jet bonehead move. One player when they could have gotten two? I think there is no such thing as a "sure thing" in the NFL.

Yeah, there is no "sure thing" but for a team with as much talent as NY a pick like Dewayne Robertson is a huge need position and a huge talent, and Jet Fans don't have a "sure thing" but the odds are greatly in favor of them having one helluva DT now.