PDA

View Full Version : OSU vs Texas thread.

Majpain
09-06-2006, 01:05 AM
I really think its going to be a close one. Your thoughts on the game of the week?

Majpain
09-06-2006, 01:33 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2574915

Texas loses 2 players.

HysterikiLL
09-06-2006, 06:07 AM
Man, I remember the UT vs OSU thread last season, that was sweet. This will be an awesome game -- not as many stars as last season, but really competitive altogether. Personally, I think OSU have too much talent and UT have too many questions at QB, also with Tarrell Brown out, Griff and co. are going to have difficulty covering Ginn Jr.

Close, but IMO OSU pull away with a late score. 30-14 is my prediction.

cnc66
09-06-2006, 06:15 AM
Man, I remember the UT vs OSU thread last season, that was sweet. This will be an awesome game -- not as many stars as last season, but really competitive altogether. Personally, I think OSU have too much talent and UT have too many questions at QB, also with Tarrell Brown out, Griff and co. are going to have difficulty covering Ginn Jr.

Close, but IMO OSU pull away with a late score. 30-14 is my prediction.

I agree with your take...but I would much rather Texas won

Awsi Dooger
09-06-2006, 06:38 AM
Should be a massive intensity and energy advantage for Texas to start the game. My prized home anti-revenge theory. It normally works best in high profile matches early in the year. After winning at OSU last year the Horns will be in a fury to certify that win as legit, classic home anti-revenge. It doesn't have to translate to the scoreboard at halftime, but you'll come out ahead more often than not by speculating it that way.

Alex44
09-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Texas will win.

No-one knows this it seems but their QB is very talented, and they still have a great offense, OSU replacing 9 players on defense + Texas still having a very good defense should end up with this being a Texas win

cnc66
09-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Should be a massive intensity and energy advantage for Texas to start the game. My prized home anti-revenge theory. It normally works best in high profile matches early in the year. After winning at OSU last year the Horns will be in a fury to certify that win as legit, classic home anti-revenge. It doesn't have to translate to the scoreboard at halftime, but you'll come out ahead more often than not by speculating it that way.

well good..thanks awsi, you gave me somthing to hang on to...

DonShula84
09-06-2006, 06:48 AM
I for some reason can see OSU winning relatively easily actually. Colt has never been tested and even though OSU is replacing a lot of starters on defense I think they still have a lot of talent. Plus they have a great offense and Texas just lost its best corner. I'm not saying OSU blows them out, I'm just saying I wouldnt be surprised if they made it look easier then expected.

smith288
09-06-2006, 12:22 PM
OSU's D is better than the NIU game indicated.

After the 1st quarter, Tressel was shuttling 5 to 6 guys out after each play to give younger guys experience.

Wolfe tanking over 3 of our defensive backs to get a touchdown is without question horrible and I can assure you will be corrected befoe the UT game.

I feel better about this game than last year's actually.

Motion
09-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Hook'em Horns!

Actually not sure who to root for in this one. OSU clearly has the tougher schedule so it'd be very possible for them to win here and drop one down the road where as this is clearly Texas' toughest game of the regular season. I'm hoping they both lose in the long run.

Mike13
09-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Texas will win.

No-one knows this it seems but their QB is very talented, and they still have a great offense, OSU replacing 9 players on defense + Texas still having a very good defense should end up with this being a Texas win

I agree.

Whitner20
09-06-2006, 02:05 PM
The Buckeyes were the better team last year, and are still the better team this year.....

Whats harder on a team?

9 defensive starters or losing Vince Young?

Vince Young single handidly won Texas there two hardest games last year..... and he's gone.....

Ohio State wins last year if Troy Smith plays the whole game...but coach Tress had to send a message.......

This year the Buckeyes win going away...

Teenwolf
09-06-2006, 02:27 PM
[quote=Whitner20]The Buckeyes were the better team last year, and are still the better team this year.....

Whats harder on a team?

Are you for real?

Texas wins this one - no doubt in my mind that home field advantage and strong defense will see Texas through, but it will be a tight game in my mind.

Feel free to slate me if I am wrong though!!!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
09-06-2006, 02:33 PM
since anyone can play QB in texas's offense and succeed, OSU losing 9 starters on defense is clearly a much bigger deal. texas still has a great defense, they're at home, and their offense outmatches OSU's defense, so...

Whitner20
09-06-2006, 03:17 PM
since anyone can play QB in texas's offense and succeed, OSU losing 9 starters on defense is clearly a much bigger deal. texas still has a great defense, they're at home, and their offense outmatches OSU's defense, so...

Success and the ability to beat the #1 team in the nation are 2 different things.... does Texas beat Ohio State or USC with Colt McCoy at QB last year? No chance in hell... The texas offense WAS Vince Young......

The question is, who will outscore who...texas D lost Wright, Huff, Griffin in the draft, and now there new starting CB..... so they've lost 4 players on D, an OL, and THE ONLY REASON they won there only big games last year...... Think about it.

Nappy Roots
09-06-2006, 03:27 PM
I for some reason can see OSU winning relatively easily actually. Colt has never been tested and even though OSU is replacing a lot of starters on defense I think they still have a lot of talent. Plus they have a great offense and Texas just lost its best corner. I'm not saying OSU blows them out, I'm just saying I wouldnt be surprised if they made it look easier then expected.

i agree.

ill be rooting for texas cause i hate OSU, but i dont see it happening.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
09-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Success and the ability to beat the #1 team in the nation are 2 different things.... does Texas beat Ohio State or USC with Colt McCoy at QB last year? No chance in hell... The texas offense WAS Vince Young......

The question is, who will outscore who...texas D lost Wright, Huff, Griffin in the draft, and now there new starting CB..... so they've lost 4 players on D, an OL, and THE ONLY REASON they won there only big games last year...... Think about it.
the texas offense was a simple 1-read option that any QB with ANY mobility could've done great in.

Bjorn
09-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Texas wins. Their defense is better than Ohio State's, and they have plenty of playmakers on offense to control the clock. I still think it will be close though. Maybe 30-27.:wink:

Whitner20
09-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Texas wins. Their defense is better than Ohio State's, and they have plenty of playmakers on offense to control the clock. I still think it will be close though. Maybe 30-27.:wink:

They have Sweed and Young.... Sweed will be an afterthought because McCoy will be spending the afternoon on his ***.....

If Texas only scores 30 this game will be a blowout for OSU

DonShula84
09-06-2006, 05:45 PM
They have Sweed and Young.... Sweed will be an afterthought because McCoy will be spending the afternoon on his ***.....

If Texas only scores 30 it'll be a blowout? How many points do you think OSU will score, 65? I think OSU has a better chance of winning if it's a lower scoring game (Meaning Texas scores less then 30).

Nappy Roots
09-06-2006, 05:55 PM

your insane. texas has a good defense...there is no way OSU puts up 60

Pennington's Rocket Arm
09-06-2006, 06:26 PM
if OSU's defense can't stop garrett wolfe from gaining close to 300 yards....how can they stop texas?

and :rofl: @ the thought of OSU putting up 60 on texas.

HysterikiLL
09-06-2006, 08:31 PM

I'm pulling for OSU dude, but there's no way you can say Vince was the only reason they won those games. That defense was the best in the nation and made the plays that counted. Vince happened to make the final plays at the ends of the game, but you can't dictate it like that -- if that defense was another D, perhaps they would've given up 60 in the first quarter and Vince would've been a non-event.

Wombat
09-06-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm going with Ohio st. on this one.

I'm so :fire: I can't see it this Saturday.

DonShula84
09-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Texas CB tested negative for drugs. I doubt it will make Brown reinstate him for the game but makes his side of the story more believable

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2575972

Alex44
09-06-2006, 09:41 PM
The Buckeyes were the better team last year, and are still the better team this year.....

Whats harder on a team?

Vince Young single handidly won Texas there two hardest games last year..... and he's gone.....

Ohio State wins last year if Troy Smith plays the whole game...but coach Tress had to send a message.......

This year the Buckeyes win going away...

Because Smith could have prevented that last minute TD drive and all

Majpain
09-06-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm going with Ohio st. on this one.

I'm so :fire: I can't see it this Saturday.

That sucks. I'll tell you how much OSU wins by.

AirFishOne
09-06-2006, 10:54 PM
tOSU 30
Whorns 17

DBoston80
09-06-2006, 11:00 PM
As long as a TE doesnt drop a ball in the endzone that would LOCK the game w/3min left in the 4th..we should be alright.

Our Defense is suspect but our offense looks like it can score at will..not 60 of course but how bout...............OSU 41 Texas 27

..by the wa you can only run the ball late in the game IF yor close...I think OSU scores enough to make Texas 1 dimensional and pulls away late.

AirFishOne
09-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Wolfe was the best RB tOSU has on thier schedule...dont buy into the whorn fans who say Jamaal Charles is better that Wolfe or Adrian Peterson...he is a fumble machine..runing game should be easy to stop

Passing game is different...Great O-line...great core of recievers...freshman QB...if tOSU's d-line hassels McCoy enough and scares him silly he should be easy to stop.

tOSU wins easy and coasts until the meet Oklahoma in Arizona :D

Amars
09-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Ohio State will win

Cuban Dave 9
09-07-2006, 04:31 PM
I was about to say, isnt the OKState-texas game later on in the year? :lol:

Blade
09-08-2006, 10:42 AM
I see the buckeyes winnin this game by pullin away late in the fourth quarter. The buckeyes offense is too good to be stopped for the whole game. this game will be close up until the fourth quarter.

DolfanDaveInATX
09-08-2006, 11:12 AM
This weekend is going to be a zoo here. People were setting up tailgate locations on Wednesday. Besides the usual contingent of UT fans traveling in for the game, there are supposed to be close to 40,000 TOSU fans coming in. There were a dozen TOSU folks on my flight from Las Vegas yesterday. The TOSU alumni have rented out UT's basketball arena for their pre-game rally and one of the major downtown nightspots for their pre- and post-game parties.

StuckInTexasFin
09-08-2006, 11:42 AM
OSU should win this one, with the QB making the difference

DolfanDaveInATX
09-08-2006, 11:57 AM
The Outback blimp just flew over our building.

Jaydog57
09-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Playing in Texas, but this will be the first real test of their new QB. Still, I think Texas will win, even without their two starting players.:dolphins:

Majpain
09-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Playing in Texas, but this will be the first real test of their new QB. Still, I think Texas will win, even without their two starting players.:dolphins:

Starting CB isnt even playing. So who is going to stop Ginn and Anthony Gonzalez? Not to mention the great depth at RB. I really think people are taking are defense to lightley, you guys forget we have Tressel.

AggieFin21
09-09-2006, 02:33 AM
The home field advantage means nothing to OSU. The Buckeyes are used to playing in places like the Big House. Do you really think coming to Austin is going to have any affect on Troy Smith and the Buckeyes?

Majpain
09-09-2006, 09:30 PM
That was a great bail out call. Such BS. Should be 7-3.

Majpain
09-09-2006, 09:40 PM
We dont need the Refs help to score.

DBoston80
09-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Man, Anthony Gonzalez is a cluthch mofo!!!!!

DBoston80
09-09-2006, 09:49 PM
We dont need the Refs help to score.

..Gotta love Tressel's reaction at the half when asked about the call........That dudes got the best poker face on the planet!!!

Jaydog57
09-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Starting CB isnt even playing. So who is going to stop Ginn and Anthony Gonzalez? Not to mention the great depth at RB. I really think people are taking are defense to lightley, you guys forget we have Tressel.Tight game man, tight game. Buckeyes seem to move the ball a lot better than UT. I hate to say it, only cause I picked Texas, but the Buckeyes might win this one, they have the offense.:peace:

Awsi Dooger
09-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Well, so much for the anti-revenge in the first half. I would have had a push minus that last score. Tough to overcome a turnover inside the other team's 5 yard line when you're dealing with a first half wager.

Now I don't know what to root for, other than both teams to lose.

Majpain
09-09-2006, 09:53 PM
..Gotta love Tressel's reaction at the half when asked about the call........That dudes got the best poker face on the planet!!!

Hell yeah. That Mcoy guy is complete garbage, No arm strength what so ever.

Majpain
09-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Man those pitches to the outside is killing us. Young turns the corner so quick that if you miss a tackle he could break one.

Majpain
09-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Mcoy thanks for the gift :D

Phinlivin'in703
09-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Tedd Ginn Jr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Majpain
09-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Yea Texas sure has a great replacement at QB.

Majpain
09-09-2006, 11:22 PM
What? Didnt you hear! OSU beat Texas. Thats right.

DBoston80
09-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Revenge is a meal best served cold...........................how sweet it is!!!!

Majpain
09-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Revenge is a meal best served cold...........................how sweet it is!!!!

Bring on Cincy. I hope OSU doesnt look past Cincy.

DBoston80
09-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Bring on Cincy. I hope OSU doesnt look past Cincy.

Dude if we lose that game it will be he biggest upset in OSU history....Have u watched them play?? GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!! But yea u never know.

Majpain
09-09-2006, 11:50 PM
Dude if we lose that game it will be he biggest upset in OSU history....Have u watched them play?? GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!! But yea u never know.

I know but we play Penn next week, I jsut dont want Tressel to start a 2 week gameplan. I'm not worried about losing to the bearcats.

Vertical Limit
09-10-2006, 12:09 AM
Didn't Cinci get owned yesterday by Pitt? Their offensive line is complete garbage.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
09-10-2006, 12:11 AM
cincinnati isn't a threat at all.

although i said that in 2002, and cincy played them REAL close. i think clarett sat that one out.

Majpain
09-10-2006, 12:12 AM
Didn't Cinci get owned yesterday by Pitt? Their offensive line is complete garbage.

Yes they did. 15- forgot how much Pitt had. Correct me if I'm wrong but does Wanny coach Pitt?

DBoston80
09-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Yes they did. 15- forgot how much Pitt had. Correct me if I'm wrong but does Wanny coach Pitt?

yes..didnt you see how bad they underachieved last year??? Thats the first sign Wanny is your head coach.

Majpain
09-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Well the only real teams we play are.

Penn, Iowa, and Michigan.

I can almost taste that Championship.

AirFishOne
09-10-2006, 12:24 AM
ah well i was close i said 30 to 17 o well

congrats to tOSU great game and Smith is the real deal! C yall in Arizona in January :D

Majpain
09-10-2006, 12:37 AM
ah well i was close i said 30 to 17 o well

congrats to tOSU great game and Smith is the real deal! C yall in Arizona in January :D

Lol dont care who we face, still a victory for OSU:D

DBoston80
09-10-2006, 01:00 AM

After OSU, the best teams look to be...LSU, AUB, WV, ND....Although I would love to play USC though

DolphinDevil28
09-10-2006, 01:06 AM
After OSU, the best teams look to be...LSU, AUB, WV, ND....Although I would love to play USC though

:yes:

Thanks for the props. And we play each other next week.

However, congrats to the Bucks. By far the best team so far.

Majpain
09-10-2006, 01:37 AM
I wanna play either LSU or Auburn in the Title game. We already beat ND no point in playing them.

DBoston80
09-10-2006, 10:10 AM
:yes:

Thanks for the props. And we play each other next week.

However, congrats to the Bucks. By far the best team so far.

Bro I have always liked LSU..thats one of the reasons I jumped for joy when we got Saban!!

That LSU defense might be the best in the country...add a very experienced all conference QB..and thats a recipe for success...Ill be anticipating that Auburn game next week...should be awesome

DonShula84
09-10-2006, 10:26 AM
I wanna play either LSU or Auburn in the Title game. We already beat ND no point in playing them.

I wonder if Texas thought the samething about playing OSU this year

TexPhinPhan
09-10-2006, 11:23 AM
So much for the "any quarterback can win in the Texas system" backhanded slap at Vince.

Couple of things. I thought UT was outmatched for most parts of game, except for UT O-line vs OSU D-line. Problem was OSU is a quality defense and you had to complete some passes. Didn't do it when we needed to.

Troy Smith is for real. I said it last year after the UT game and he proved it.

UT secondary has problems over and above losing our starting CB.

I think McCoy will be fine....next year.

OSU dominated the game. I never really felt we were in it. They moved the ball when they needed to.

UT, we still are National champs for a few more games. Wont be repeating this year. Oh well.

cnc66
09-10-2006, 11:29 AM
So much for the "any quarterback can win in the Texas system" backhanded slap at Vince.

Couple of things. I thought UT was outmatched for most parts of game, except for UT O-line vs OSU D-line. Problem was OSU is a quality defense and you had to complete some passes. Didn't do it when we needed to.

Troy Smith is for real. I said it last year after the UT game and he proved it.

UT secondary has problems over and above losing our starting CB.

I think McCoy will be fine....next year.

OSU dominated the game. I never really felt we were in it. They moved the ball when they needed to.

UT, we still are National champs for a few more games. Wont be repeating this year. Oh well.

a buddy who is dyed in the wool OSU felt Texas gave up the running game to soon, that UT was winning in the trenches early on.

TexPhinPhan
09-10-2006, 12:01 PM
a buddy who is dyed in the wool OSU felt Texas gave up the running game to soon, that UT was winning in the trenches early on.

I don't think I would argue with him. I really wanted to see a little more power running, like we did at end of first half, to take advantage of our O-line. I don't remeber seeing Melton in the game at all. Thought Selvin and Charles did great but a little beef in 90 degree weather wouldn't have hurt.

The Pittman fumble was brutal, but not fatal.

Saying all of that, I think OSU still wins the game. Their O was really good against a really good UT D and our O was not.

AirFishOne
09-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Too bad longhorn...one thing Ill say tho

in our game against Washington it was 13-13 at half...1000 of our fans had left the game

In ur game it was 24-7 in the 4th and I didnt see one empty seat. You guys sure do have some loyal fans

Lookin forward to October 7th my friend

AirFishOne
09-10-2006, 01:24 PM

we shall see my friend :wink:

TexPhinPhan
09-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Too bad longhorn...one thing Ill say tho

in our game against Washington it was 13-13 at half...1000 of our fans had left the game

In ur game it was 24-7 in the 4th and I didnt see one empty seat. You guys sure do have some loyal fans

Lookin forward to October 7th my friend
As always, it will be a good one.

Re: loyalty, it is amazing what a national championship will do for loyalty. When I was at UT during the dark Akers years, you could walk up to the stadium on game day and have the pick of seats. Mack has really turned things around for us.

Hookem

Majpain
09-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Are you confident in Mcoy running the offense?

AirFishOne
09-10-2006, 11:47 PM
As always, it will be a good one.

Re: loyalty, it is amazing what a national championship will do for loyalty. When I was at UT during the dark Akers years, you could walk up to the stadium on game day and have the pick of seats. Mack has really turned things around for us.

Hookem

the same could be said for us during the DARK I MEAN PITCH BLACK ages with Schenlly and Blake thne Stoops came and made everything better :D

TexPhinPhan
09-12-2006, 01:09 AM
Are you confident in Mcoy running the offense?
Not sure I would say confident yet. I really think that he will be fine with a year under his belt. I was impressed with his toughness during the OSU game. Hopefully better decisions, and armstrength follow.