PDA

View Full Version : Class Speech Help

UCFinfan86
09-06-2006, 08:55 PM
I have a class speech due on cultural diversity. I am doing my speech on the Baby Boomers culture. I need 3 topics, i am giong to do music for sure, i am thinking about their clothing. But i am clueless on the 3rd topic and im not totally happy about the clothing topic. Do you guys have any suggestions??

The Rev
09-06-2006, 09:07 PM
You can speak about food
or maybe how different cultures raise their children
or dating (chaperones)

UCFinfan86
09-06-2006, 09:10 PM
You can speak about food
or maybe how different cultures raise their children
or dating (chaperones)

The raising their children is good, but i can't use it, the professor said don't stray from the main focus, he wants me to jsut focus on baby boomers.

They had different Food back in teh 60's then we do now??

And dating chaperones??

The Rev
09-06-2006, 09:11 PM
The raising their children is good, but i can't use it, the professor said don't stray from the main focus, he wants me to jsut focus on baby boomers.

And dating chaperones??

Then I'm confused. explain to me how you are to incorporate baby boomers?

Gonzo
09-06-2006, 09:17 PM

And dating chaperones??
How about their family values?
Movies?
What types of books were they writing?
What were the effects of being the first generation to grow up in a vastly expanded suburban America?
Drug culture?
How did they rebel against their parents that was different from other generations?

UCFinfan86
09-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Then I'm confused. explain to me how you are to incorporate baby boomers?

I just have to do a speech about their culture. Not comparing it to ours, just talking about it in general.

UCFinfan86
09-06-2006, 09:21 PM
How about their family values?
Movies?
What types of books were they writing?
What were the effects of being the first generation to grow up in a vastly expanded suburban America?
Drug culture?
How did they rebel against their parents that was different from other generations?

I think the drug culture will work. I actually like that one alot.

The movies one may work, i maybe just do entertainment as one and make it movies/music/TV, drug culture, and then other clothes/something else.

Thanks gonzo and rev for the help suggestions

The Rev
09-06-2006, 09:26 PM
No prob, brother.

Good job, Gonzo :hi5:

Gonzo
09-06-2006, 09:31 PM
No prob, brother.

Good job, Gonzo :hi5: I knew the drug culture would be a hit. :lol:

As for the entertainment idea UCF, the TV idea is a really good one. They were also the first generation to really be "raised on TV."

FinaciousOne
09-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Here's two:
1. Segregation
2. They had to walk long distances through the snow to get to school.

d-day
09-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Here's two:
1. Segregation

:lol: ...in their barefeet

Gonzo
09-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Here's two:
1. Segregation
:lol:
and home...uphill both ways.

UCFinfan86
09-09-2006, 02:59 PM
I have decided to do my speech on Enterntainment, Fashion, and Drug Culture. Although i am having some trouble finding internet sources to help me with drug culture. I been searching google for over 30 minutes. If anyone can help me find a link, it would be greatly appreciated.

Gonzo
09-09-2006, 03:02 PM
I have decided to do my speech on Enterntainment, Fashion, and Drug Culture. Although i am having some trouble finding internet sources to help me with drug culture. I been searching google for over 30 minutes. If anyone can help me find a link, it would be greatly appreciated.They let you use internet sources? Is this college?

Slappy8800
09-09-2006, 03:08 PM
work ethic?

cnc66
09-09-2006, 03:10 PM
I think the drug culture will work. I actually like that one alot.

The movies one may work, i maybe just do entertainment as one and make it movies/music/TV, drug culture, and then other clothes/something else.

Thanks gonzo and rev for the help suggestions

we also saw many communication firsts..color tv, transistor radio's...I have trouble explaining how totally groovy it was to be able to carry a radio around the size of your hand. The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show, Elvis was still huge. Doby Gillis and 77 Sunset Strip....

45's
33 1/3rds
reel to reel
8 track
cassett tapes
cd's

B&W tv...one station in Miami not even 24 hours a day to todays cable-satellite

Maynard the Hammer
09-09-2006, 03:19 PM
I have decided to do my speech on Enterntainment, Fashion, and Drug Culture. Although i am having some trouble finding internet sources to help me with drug culture. I been searching google for over 30 minutes. If anyone can help me find a link, it would be greatly appreciated.Drug use up for boomers, down for teens (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/1500AP_Drug_Use_Teens_Boomers.html)

UCFinfan86
09-09-2006, 03:21 PM
They let you use internet sources? Is this college?

ya this is college, y wouldnt i be allowed to use the internet to find information?

UCFinfan86
09-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Drug use up for boomers, down for teens (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/1500AP_Drug_Use_Teens_Boomers.html)

no, i need how it was back in the late 40's thru early 60's

UCFinfan86
09-09-2006, 03:23 PM
we also saw many communication firsts..color tv, transistor radio's...I have trouble explaining how totally groovy it was to be able to carry a radio around the size of your hand. The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show, Elvis was still huge. Doby Gillis and 77 Sunset Strip....

45's
33 1/3rds
reel to reel
8 track
cassett tapes
cd's

B&W tv...one station in Miami not even 24 hours a day to todays cable-satellite

Yuh i am goign to put that into the entertainment part of the speech

Gonzo
09-09-2006, 03:45 PM
ya this is college, y wouldnt i be allowed to use the internet to find information?I guess it's okay for lower division courses, but the internet is not a credible source right now for upper division and beyond.

The sources provided should be able to be found whenever someone wants to find the primary information. Webpages go down and links provided in papers become invalid. Also, anybody can make an internet page and anybody can take information and change it for their benefit. For example, I could take the Constitution and change it to say Gonzo from Finheaven must be made President with a lifetime term in the year 2006. I could then create a website making the phony document available. Someone looks up the Constitution via Google and they come across my version.

Granted, there are some organizations, including Google actually, that are trying to create internet libraries that can house valid documents for the long haul but they are still a work in progress and most cost money.

Anyways, drug culture, try my namesake: Hunter S. Thompson. Any book will do. The movie Easy Rider is another good example.

Oh, and I didn't mean to come off as knocking your school. Your age could have placed you in either HS or college and your name could have been because you are a fan or are planning on going there.

UCFinfan86
09-09-2006, 04:13 PM
I guess it's okay for lower division courses, but the internet is not a credible source right now for upper division and beyond.

The sources provided should be able to be found whenever someone wants to find the primary information. Webpages go down and links provided in papers become invalid. Also, anybody can make an internet page and anybody can take information and change it for their benefit. For example, I could take the Constitution and change it to say Gonzo from Finheaven must be made President with a lifetime term in the year 2006. I could then create a website making the phony document available. Someone looks up the Constitution via Google and they come across my version.

Granted, there are some organizations, including Google actually, that are trying to create internet libraries that can house valid documents for the long haul but they are still a work in progress and most cost money.

Anyways, drug culture, try my namesake: Hunter S. Thompson. Any book will do. The movie Easy Rider is another good example.

Oh, and I didn't mean to come off as knocking your school. Your age could have placed you in either HS or college and your name could have been because you are a fan or are planning on going there.

o no offense was taken. I mean im not doing real research for like a paper its just of that time period i mean somethign that could be really lied about on websites and stuff. But i started to write my speech down and i am changin the direction of it. My Professor kept telling us to make sure the topic isn't to broad and i think the way i was going it was going to be to broad to cover everythign in 3-5 minutes. I am thinking about going a route ofj ust entertianment with my 3 main topics being music, tv, toys. This way i am really talking about just the entertainment aspect of the baby boomer culture. But thank you for ur advice.

JSwerdy
09-09-2006, 04:30 PM
you can use Drug Use as your third topic. recent survey came out saying that something like 67% of baby boomers are still using drugs. talking about the introduction of different drugs for different cultures within the baby boomers (LSD for the hippies, pot for the vietnam vets, the introuduction of Coke vs Crack and the racist motivation behind legislation for each of the drugs-as "black" drugs had harsher penalities, while "white" drugs remained relatively decriminalized)

finfan01
09-09-2006, 05:41 PM
I have a class speech due on cultural diversity. I am doing my speech on the Baby Boomers culture. I need 3 topics, i am giong to do music for sure, i am thinking about their clothing. But i am clueless on the 3rd topic and im not totally happy about the clothing topic. Do you guys have any suggestions??

Clothing should be easy. The conservative attitude back then compared to now.:cooldude: