PDA

View Full Version : Anibal Sanchez pitches no hitter for Marlins

CrimsonFin
09-06-2006, 09:39 PM
First no hitter in MLB since May 2004

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260906128

Jt0323
09-06-2006, 09:39 PM
just watched! im so glad he got it! good for him!

Get Up And Go
09-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Yeah baby, hunt for a teal october continues.

RWhitney014
09-06-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm freaking giddy. Absolutely amazing. Unreal. HOLY BLEEPING BLEEP OF BLEEPS! HERE COME THE MARLINS!

Alex44
09-06-2006, 09:53 PM
He was sooo happy after the game, I hope some of you caught his interview :D

Ray Finkle
09-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Don't look now but Randy Johnson has a no hitter in the 7 vs. KC.

Alex44
09-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Don't look now but Randy Johnson has a no hitter in the 7 vs. KC.

I know :nono: I hope he doesnt get it.

Ray Finkle
09-06-2006, 09:55 PM
I know :nono: I hope he doesnt get it.

:lol:

Well if he did it would sure take something away from Sanchez's.

Alex44
09-06-2006, 09:57 PM
:lol:

Well if he did it would sure take something away from Sanchez's.

Unfortunatly to some people it would, even though there is no reason for that

Its not something in the water, just very unlikely that happened

Jt0323
09-06-2006, 10:03 PM
its over :(

Alex44
09-06-2006, 10:04 PM
its over :(

Whats over

Ray Finkle
09-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Johnson just gave up a lead off triple after Torre makes a no-hitter no-no as he took out Giambi at first and put in Andy Phillips. If that was David Wells on the mound he would have punch Torre right in the mouth.

Alex44
09-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Sweet Anibal has the only no-no today :D

King Felix
09-06-2006, 11:07 PM
its crazy how just yesterday(or the day before) russ ortiz almost had one, and now all of a sudden sanchez pitches one 2 days later........seems weird cuz it almost happened 3 times in 1 week when before tonight it hadnt happened for 2 years.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^didnt make sense but w/e

Prime Time
09-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Props to Anibal. He got help but he also pitched his heart out. Great performance. 4th No Hitter in Marlins History. :yes:

RWhitney014
09-07-2006, 12:07 AM
its crazy how just yesterday(or the day before) russ ortiz almost had one, and now all of a sudden sanchez pitches one 2 days later........seems weird cuz it almost happened 3 times in 1 week when before tonight it hadnt happened for 2 years.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^didnt make sense but w/e

That was Ramon Ortiz, actually. But yeah, it's a real feat. Add another one to the list of unbelievable things the Marlins have accomplished this season.

305TillIDie
09-07-2006, 12:09 AM
i watched the marlins D'backs game..Marlins with the great pitching and defense..go fish baby :yes:

Alex44
09-07-2006, 12:21 AM
That was Ramon Ortiz, actually. But yeah, it's a real feat. Add another one to the list of unbelievable things the Marlins have accomplished this season.

Now we need someone to hit for the cycle....never been done in Fish history

I love Girardi :lol:

'Its going to be hard for him to top this next time out, of course a perfect game....would be perfect'

dominizzo
09-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Kudos

Roman529
09-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Nice no no for the Marlins pitcher....hope they are ready to play my Phillies ten more times this year. :wink:

RWhitney014
09-07-2006, 01:02 AM
Nice no no for the Marlins pitcher....hope they are ready to play my Phillies ten more times this year. :wink:

Ready, willing, able, and hungry. It's gonna be a fun series, Doug.

Alex44
09-07-2006, 01:07 AM

We will take all 10 :lol:

:j/k:

Im hoping for 7-3 or 6-4......because thats what we need but it will be very tough

A&O
09-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Man I'm happy...Go Marlins!

Mike13
09-07-2006, 01:19 AM
Congrats to Annibal and The Marlins, how many games are they behind for the wild card race?

Alex44
09-07-2006, 01:20 AM
Congrats to Annibal and The Marlins, how many games are they behind for the wild card race?

3.0 behind SD and tied with Philli (who we have 10 more games against)

SD has a pretty tough remaining schedule and no real pitching really passed numbers one a two so im confident

finswin56
09-07-2006, 09:27 AM
He was sooo happy after the game, I hope some of you caught his interview :DI caught part of it. Even as a Mets fan it made me smile. I love seeing that kind of joy from a great young player.

Cuban Dave 9
09-07-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm just suprised Anibel didn't say in the interview, "I love you Miami" :lol:

MikeO
09-07-2006, 10:33 AM
This no-no is just pouring salt into the wound of Red Sox fans. He is pitching no hitters as Beckett leads MLB in home runs given up I believe (he is 1st or 2nd). Not to mention Anibel and Hanley are leading the Marlins to the playoffs as the Sox with 300 year old Mike Lowell and gopher-Josh Beckett will be sitting home.

When its all said and done, this MIGHT go down as the worst trade in the history of MLB. Or at least the worst trade in the last 15 years. Even worse than Zambrano for Kazimer.

Phinz4Life
09-07-2006, 10:36 AM
This no-no is just pouring salt into the wound of Red Sox fans. He is pitching no hitters as Beckett leads MLB in home runs given up I believe (he is 1st or 2nd). Not to mention Anibel and Hanley are leading the Marlins to the playoffs as the Sox with 300 year old Mike Lowell and gopher-Josh Beckett will be sitting home.

When its all said and done, this MIGHT go down as the worst trade in the history of MLB. Or at least the worst trade in the last 15 years. Even worse than Zambrano for Kazimer.

If you didn't mention this I sure was going to.

POUR THE SALT!

Alex44
09-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Oh for anyone who needed validation that the last play was in deed an out (it was very close)

They just went frame by frame on cold pizza to when the ball hit the mit, and he was out by a half a step

GreenMonster
09-07-2006, 11:16 AM

Surprised Mike chimes in with a Sox reference in a Marlins thread.. Give this trade some more time.. All the players in the deal were very young with exception to Lowell.. Are you willing to say that Sanchez will be a better pitcher than Beckett will ever be.. Mind you he won a WS MVP..

MikeO
09-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Surprised Mike chimes in with a Sox reference in a Marlins thread.. Give this trade some more time.. All the players in the deal were very young with exception to Lowell.. Are you willing to say that Sanchez will be a better pitcher than Beckett will ever be.. Mind you he won a WS MVP..

And that's all Beckett has done in his career (aside from getting hurt consistently). I am willing tos ayt that Sanchez MIGHT be a better pitcher in the long run. And MIGHT be a better pitcher than him today. (granted pitching in the NL helps him, but hey....thats the way it is)

Phinz4Life
09-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Beckett has been a huge disapointment. Whenever I see him slated to start against the Yankees, it's a good feeling.

Alex44
09-07-2006, 11:24 AM
And that's all Beckett has done in his career (aside from getting hurt consistently). I am willing tos ayt that Sanchez MIGHT be a better pitcher in the long run. And MIGHT be a better pitcher than him today. (granted pitching in the NL helps him, but hey....thats the way it is)

I usually dont agree with you but from watching them both I think Anibal will be the better pitcher

From Josh having constant blister problems, to just trying to overpower hitters, to just being flat out inconsistant this seems like a very good trade for us.

Anibal has been nothing short of amazing in his 13 starts this year

GreenMonster
09-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Beckett has been a huge disapointment. Whenever I see him slated to start against the Yankees, it's a good feeling.

Ha did you feel the same way in 2003.. I will admit Beckett has had a rough year but hasn't dropped off the map..

Great game Anibal, nobody wanted to include you in that trade but at the time we weren't giving up Papelbon or Lester so it became you..

GreenMonster
09-07-2006, 01:33 PM
I usually dont agree with you but from watching them both I think Anibal will be the better pitcher

From Josh having constant blister problems, to just trying to overpower hitters, to just being flat out inconsistant this seems like a very good trade for us.

Anibal has been nothing short of amazing in his 13 starts this year

Lots of pitchers have done great in 13 starts, not many pitchers have a WS MVP.. Not saying Anibal won't be better than Beckett, but the guy has 13 starts and a no-hitter, Beckett has 55 wins and a WS MVP.. I will still take Beckett at this point, this trade is gonna take a few more years to see who got the better end, these guys are still very young..

Alex44
09-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Lots of pitchers have done great in 13 starts, not many pitchers have a WS MVP.. Not saying Anibal won't be better than Beckett, but the guy has 13 starts and a no-hitter, Beckett has 55 wins and a WS MVP.. I will still take Beckett at this point, this trade is gonna take a few more years to see who got the better end, these guys are still very young..

Beckett was never this consistant (except that one postseason run) thats my only point

Beckett is filled with so much potential but I think he also just happened to pitch the best games of his life when he needed to, other than that he was never that special, and thats watching his whole career in Florida.

Both guys still have a long way to go, but Im very confident in Anibal

GreenMonster
09-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Beckett was never this consistant (except that one postseason run) thats my only point

Beckett is filled with so much potential but I think he also just happened to pitch the best games of his life when he needed to, other than that he was never that special, and thats watching his whole career in Florida.

Both guys still have a long way to go, but Im very confident in Anibal

LOL Anibal is now consistent over 13 starts.. You probably thought Arroyo was gonna win the CY Young when he started hot..

Alex44
09-07-2006, 01:40 PM
LOL Anibal is now consistent over 13 starts.. You probably thought Arroyo was gonna win the CY Young when he started hot..

Your missing the point kind of

Yes in his 13 starts he has a 2.28 ERA, thats as consistant as you can be through 13 starts dont you think?

What Im saying is both have potential, Beckett never really put his together for any period of time here other than 03, the whole world seems to know him as the guy who 1 hit the Yankees when 90% of the time as a Marlin he wasnt THAT good

Its going to take a while to see who got the better end of the deal of course, Im just saying dont rush to the conclusion Josh will be the better pitcher

GreenMonster
09-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Lots of players have put up great numbers in 15 starts or less, see Bronson Arroyo's 1st half of the season.. Most players don't have a career 3.83 era in 130+ starts or a WS MVP..

What Anibal is doing is great but its 13 starts, hitters haven't seen the guy, and he pitches in the NL.. When he has 10x this many starts do you think he will still be this dominate ever time out.. I will bet against it..

Alex44
09-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Lots of players have put up great numbers in 15 starts or less, see Bronson Arroyo's 1st half of the season.. Most players don't have a career 3.83 era in 130+ starts or a WS MVP..

What Anibal is doing is great but its 13 starts, hitters haven't seen the guy, and he pitches in the NL.. When he has 10x this many starts do you think he will still be this dominate ever time out.. I will bet against it..

Whats Becketts excuse? This is the first time most guys have seen him and he is getting blasted

Remember everyone made their first 13 starts at some point, Clemens, Pedro, Nolan Ryan (im not saying he will ever be anywhere near as good as any of them) You dont get to 100 starts without 13

GreenMonster
09-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Whats Becketts excuse? This is the first time most guys have seen him and he is getting blasted

No excuse bad year.. It happens (see Dontrelle Willis).. I am still excited about having a pitcher like Beckett on the team..

Alex44
09-07-2006, 01:57 PM
No excuse bad year.. It happens (see Dontrelle Willis).. I am still excited about having a pitcher like Beckett on the team..

Dontrelle has the lowest run support in the NL......under 3.8 runs a game....he hasnt pitched poorly at all other than a few starts early in the season

Ray Finkle
09-07-2006, 05:40 PM

Babe Ruth, who's he anyway? Just a fat guy with chicken legs?

Anyway this trade could turn out to be a terrible trade for the Red Sox but like my buddy Green Monster said let's give it some more time. Beckett, Hanley and Sanchez are all going to be on the same teams for at least 3 years so let's talk about it then.

As for the worst trade in the last 15 years, that's debateble when you have trades like:

Willis to the Marlins for Clement and others
Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee and Brandon Phillips to Cleveland for Colon
Nathan and Lirano to the Twins for AJ
Schilling traded to the Red Sox for 4 prospects
Heathcliff Sclomb for Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek

Personally I think the Willis trade, Sizemore and Co. and Nathan/Liriano more are worse. But time will tell.

As I said let's wait a few years until we knock this trade. I'm not ready to induct Sanchez or Hanley into the Hall of Fame after 1 season (or 1 game).

GreenMonster
09-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey Alex if you could only have 1 pitcher would you rather have Anibal Sanchez or Dontrelle Willis.. ?

Ray Finkle
09-07-2006, 06:15 PM

Exactly. Let's wait and see when the scouting reports of Sanchez get out and hitters know (for example) he likes to throw a change up in the dirt when he's up on the count to lefties or he always starts off a right handed power hitter with a curveball. Let's see how he adjusts to that or when he gets hammered for the first time in his career.

People forget that guys like Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling weren't very good when they came up yet when they turned 27/28 (the prime of a pitcher usually) they started to hold their own. Beckett isn't even there yet so let's give him time. He obviously has the stuff and potential.

Plus for every Anibal Sanchez there's a Hideo Nomo right around the corner.

Alex44
09-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey Alex if you could only have 1 pitcher would you rather have Anibal Sanchez or Dontrelle Willis.. ?

That would be really tough.....Dontrelle has pitched well this year despite his record...and has a 22 win season under his belt, is a great hitter and only 24

Id have to take Dontrelle

MikeO
09-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Babe Ruth, who's he anyway? Just a fat guy with chicken legs?

That wasn't a trade that was a SALE

MikeO
09-07-2006, 08:08 PM
and Kazimer for Zambrano is by far the WORST trade of the last 15 years. But this one might pass that.

Kazmier was a legit young, leftie, stud who Al Leiter and John Franco didn't like and had the front office run him out of town for a bum like Zambrano!!!

Ray Finkle
09-07-2006, 08:17 PM
and Kazimer for Zambrano is by far the WORST trade of the last 15 years. But this one might pass that.

Kazmier was a legit young, leftie, stud who Al Leiter and John Franco didn't like and had the front office run him out of town for a bum like Zambrano!!!

The reason why the Kazmir for Zambrano trade was so bad is because it was a move made out of clear stupidity. The move for Beckett wasn't. It was getting a 26 year old proven big game winner who could turn into the future ace of the team. Which still could happen. Just give the trade a few more years. You really can't judge a trade realistically for a few years.

The Liriano trade might be an even worse trade than the Kazmir one. Because not only did the Twins had a young legit leftie stud but a very good closer. While the Giants were stuck with AJ for a year and then let him walk.

I still think the Sizemore, Lee, Phillips for Colon deal was a bad one. Very good trade for Cleveland especially considering Colon did nothing to help the Expos and left after the year.

MikeO
09-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Exactly. Let's wait and see when the scouting reports of Sanchez get out and hitters know (for example) he likes to throw a change up in the dirt when he's up on the count to lefties or he always starts off a right handed power hitter with a curveball. Let's see how he adjusts to that or when he gets hammered for the first time in his career.

People forget that guys like Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling weren't very good when they came up yet when they turned 27/28 (the prime of a pitcher usually) they started to hold their own. Beckett isn't even there yet so let's give him time. He obviously has the stuff and potential.

Plus for every Anibal Sanchez there's a Hideo Nomo right around the corner.

If it were Sanchez for Beckett straight up you MIGHT have a case. But you also gave up an ALL STAR shortstop in the deal (when you really don't have a shortstop of your own). And were forced to take on Lowell's contract (which if you believe that the Sox have a budget they live by, hinders you in other ways).

Not to mention getting rid of Marte for Crisp also looks like an horrible deal. If the Sox had Hanley, Marte, and Sanchez......there would be some long-term hope.

Crisp is the 2nd coming of Renteria (1 and done in Boston). Lowell is on his final year or 2 as a player. And Beckett is nothing to write home about.

The best offseason move for the Yanks last year was Theo staying in Boston. And it cost the Yanks nothing!!! LOL

Ray Finkle
09-08-2006, 08:26 AM
If it were Sanchez for Beckett straight up you MIGHT have a case. But you also gave up an ALL STAR shortstop in the deal (when you really don't have a shortstop of your own). And were forced to take on Lowell's contract (which if you believe that the Sox have a budget they live by, hinders you in other ways).

Not to mention getting rid of Marte for Crisp also looks like an horrible deal. If the Sox had Hanley, Marte, and Sanchez......there would be some long-term hope.

Crisp is the 2nd coming of Renteria (1 and done in Boston). Lowell is on his final year or 2 as a player. And Beckett is nothing to write home about.

The best offseason move for the Yanks last year was Theo staying in Boston. And it cost the Yanks nothing!!! LOL

Again I'm going to wait before I judge the trade.

You might be right. He hasn't done anything since 2004 except make bad signings (Clement, Renteria, Seanez, Taveras) and bad trades (Bard and Meredith for Mirabelli, Riske for Lopez). The FO needs to prove themselves for me to get behind them. Maybe their farm system really is the future but until then I can't back them.

RWhitney014
09-10-2006, 01:15 AM
I'll take the A.J. Pierzynski for Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano, and Boof Bonser as the worst (or best, depending on the perspective) trade in a long time. An All Star closer, a rookie who might have won the Cy had he stayed healthy, and another productive MLB pitcher for a guy who was nearly run out of town in a month and was in 6. Brian Sabean still hurts over that one. Especially when Benitez keeps blowing saves.

Ray Finkle
09-10-2006, 01:20 AM
I'll take the A.J. Pierzynski for Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano, and Boof Bonser as the worst (or best, depending on the perspective) trade in a long time. An All Star closer, a rookie who might have won the Cy had he stayed healthy, and another productive MLB pitcher for a guy who was nearly run out of town in a month and was in 6. Brian Sabean still hurts over that one. Especially when Benitez keeps blowing saves.

Oh I agree. Especially since Pierzynski was a clubhouse cancer for the Giants and left after 1 year.

Liriano could be the best pitcher in baseball this time next year.

Jt0323
09-10-2006, 02:38 PM
mark my words Johan Santana is goona throw a perfect game or no hitter one of these day...may even be today...

GreenMonster
09-10-2006, 02:46 PM
mark my words Johan Santana is goona throw a perfect game or no hitter one of these day...may even be today...

You don't have to throw a no-hitter to be great.. Pedro, Clemens, so many other greats never have while Kent Mercker, Jose Jimenez, and Bud Smith have.. Santana is just a stud of a pitcher..

Jt0323
09-10-2006, 03:09 PM
You don't have to throw a no-hitter to be great.. Pedro, Clemens, so many other greats never have while Kent Mercker, Jose Jimenez, and Bud Smith have.. Santana is just a stud of a pitcher..
im not saying that but im saying when he pitches really great he only gives up 2-3 hits...i have a feeling one day hes goona get a nono...but you dont have to be great to pitch a no hitter...examples...David Wells, David Cone...no they both were good but not great

Ray Finkle
09-10-2006, 04:05 PM

Who? What have they done lately?

Exactly why people shouldn't be killing the Beckett for Hanley and Sanchez trade yet.

Sanchez could be the next Bud Smith while Beckett could turn into Curt Schilling, Jr. A lot can happen over the course of a year.

Mike13
09-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Who? What have they done lately?

Exactly why people shouldn't be killing the Beckett for Hanley and Sanchez trade yet.

Sanchez could be the next Bud Smith while Beckett could turn into Curt Schilling, Jr. A lot can happen over the course of a year.

true dat.