PDA

View Full Version : Biggest disapointment

RiderOnTheStorm
09-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Right guys, here we are in the start of the regular season and we are 0-1. We all know the biggest plus over the offseason was the recruitment of C-Pepp but what was the biggest regret/disapointment of the same period?

Is losing Ricky for the year the biggest loss to the team? Is Jason Allen's holdout your biggest disapointment? Tell me what yours and why !!

For me, the biggest disapointment was the lack of new names on the o-line.
Sure Shelton came in at LT but is he much of an improvement over McIntosh? The centre spot still looks suspect. Should Miami made Steve Hutchinson a target despite his hefty price? Should Miami have made LeCharles Bentley an offer he couldnt refuse? Sure Toledo was added during the draft, so maybe he is the answer at either RG or RT but an offense can only get so far with an average line and IMO, the Miami line is just that.

So what is your biggest regret/disapointment off the Miami offseason?

CChambers7284
09-09-2006, 07:55 AM
the secondary, u replace backups, with backups.

I wasnt a big fan of sam madison but compared to Goodman who was the dime on the LIONS, idk.

TDIS1
09-09-2006, 08:15 AM
I think for me there are two things that are equal.
The secondary stinks right now. The players we have right now are not a remarkable improvement from where we ended last year. We did not get
our selves a back up running back. Sammy Morris
is what he is and now can't even play. We should
have addressed that issue in the off season.

Despacio
09-09-2006, 08:28 AM
How about the fans. We lose the opening game against a top-tier D and it seemed like every other fan on these boards were about to quit watching football forever. Rushes to judgment. Inability to get the big picture. Pure hysteria, it was just sickening.

But then there were the few that just understood what an opening loss really means in the long run. Thank god for them.

So yeah, the fans, the same ones who would post every time the media took a shot at Miami just b/c they did not annoint us SB favorites. The same fans who got pumped up about Culpepper and what Brown could do this year. All those fans that abondoned this team in one night.

I think that was the "biggest dissapointment," at least for me. :dolphins:

FanMarino
09-09-2006, 08:31 AM
For me its the OL. Im always hoping we will get a great run blocking OL but every year we dont get one. We have to depend on Ricky and now Ronnie who can get that extra few yds with their own attributes and not quality blocking from the OL. We are average at best. OL coach Houck is supposed to be THE OL guru. He hasnt shown it to me yet.

Phanatical
09-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Right guys, here we are in the start of the regular season and we are 0-1. We all know the biggest plus over the offseason was the recruitment of C-Pepp but what was the biggest regret/disapointment of the same period?

Is losing Ricky for the year the biggest loss to the team? Is Jason Allen's holdout your biggest disapointment? Tell me what yours and why !!

For me, the biggest disapointment was the lack of new names on the o-line.
Sure Shelton came in at LT but is he much of an improvement over McIntosh? The centre spot still looks suspect. Should Miami made Steve Hutchinson a target despite his hefty price? Should Miami have made LeCharles Bentley an offer he couldnt refuse? Sure Toledo was added during the draft, so maybe he is the answer at either RG or RT but an offense can only get so far with an average line and IMO, the Miami line is just that.

So what is your biggest regret/disapointment off the Miami offseason?

My biggest disappointment from the offseason? It has to be the same. I was P/O'd when the Jesters picked up Ferguson and Mangold in the draft and we didn't address our OL at all (I don't think an oft injured converted TE counts as addressing the OL). Anyway, the Jesters might stink this year, but they definitely built for the future with those guys who will likely make an immediate impact on their running game even this year. A good OL can make average backs look great, look at Denver.

GO PHINS~!

FanMarino
09-09-2006, 08:34 AM
How about the fans. We lose the opening game against a top-tier D and it seemed like every other fan on these boards were about to quit watching football forever. Rushes to judgment. Inability to get the big picture. Pure hysteria, it was just sickening.

We'll still win the AFC East bro so dont worry. Keep the faith. A few fans are negative i know but look at the team we played. The Steelers. Some people better realise that. Bills wont be near their standard.

Phanatical
09-09-2006, 08:36 AM
For me its the OL. Im always hoping we will get a great run blocking OL but every year we dont get one. We have to depend on Ricky and now Ronnie who can get that extra few yds with their own attributes and not quality blocking from the OL. We are average at best. OL coach Houck is supposed to be THE OL guru. He hasnt shown it to me yet.

The problem with Houck being a "guru" is just that, they are counting on him to take sub par talent and make it work. They should have given him some real talent to work with and then we would have had an outstanding OL. Ho hum.......:lastyr: 9-7 and no playoffs.......

GO PHINS~!

cnc66
09-09-2006, 08:45 AM
The problem with Houck being a "guru" is just that, they are counting on him to take sub par talent and make it work. They should have given him some real talent to work with and then we would have had an outstanding OL. Ho hum.......:lastyr: 9-7 and no playoffs.......

GO PHINS~!

pffft ....quitter

A Wing Pilot
09-09-2006, 08:51 AM

But then there were the few that just understood what an opening loss really means in the long run. Thank god for them.

So yeah, the fans, the same ones who would post every time the media took a shot at Miami just b/c they did not annoint us SB favorites. The same fans who got pumped up about Culpepper and what Brown could do this year. All those fans that abondoned this team in one night.

:yeahthat:

Phanatical
09-09-2006, 08:51 AM
pffft ....quitter

I'm not a quitter, just a realistic fan. The Dolphins didn't upgrade their OL or their secondary, and lost talent at RB, and brought in a QB known for turning the ball over via picks and fumbles. Unfortunately, that will make the Dolphins a team with similar results, if not worse, than last years. Ronnie, while a very good RB, is NOT Ricky Williams, so we have lost talent at the RB spot. Ricky helped us win down the road last year with his brilliant play. I really can't see the Dolphins improving on last years record when we have an arguably worse OL (benny Anderson is a setback), an arguably worse secondary (Allen is supposedly a better tackler but doesn't appear to be a better cover guy, which is his main job), and an arguably weakened RB committee (Brown and Suggs vs. Williams and Brown). Also, Frerotte wasn't making the costly turnovers that CP is known for, so, one could even say our QB position has been downgraded in that respect. With this team, we aren't going to score hoardes of points so the QB has to protect the ball like Frerotte did last year, and like CP DIDN'T do last week. Welcome to last year, maybe worse.

GO PHINS~!

LoneWulF
09-09-2006, 08:54 AM
for me its the draft. could have gotten jimmy williams or manny lawson. seems like only hagan is contributing so far. i feel like we all knew this secondary was going to be bad, it sucks on paper, but we all assumed nick saban can coach scrubs to be great. most of the time that doesnt happen. talent makes big plays, doesnt give them up. there are no pat surtains or sam madisons on this roster. not even a lance schulters. hopefully im way wrong and look back on this post embarrased

cnc66
09-09-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm not a quitter, just a realistic fan. The Dolphins didn't upgrade their OL or their secondary, and lost talent at RB, and brought in a QB known for turning the ball over via picks and fumbles. Unfortunately, that will make the Dolphins a team with similar results, if not worse, than last years. Ronnie, while a very good RB, is NOT Ricky Williams, so we have lost talent at the RB spot. Ricky helped us win down the road last year with his brilliant play. I really can't see the Dolphins improving on last years record when we have an arguably worse OL (benny Anderson is a setback), an arguably worse secondary (Allen is supposedly a better tackler but doesn't appear to be a better cover guy, which is his main job), and an arguably weakened RB committee (Brown and Suggs vs. Williams and Brown). Also, Frerotte wasn't making the costly turnovers that CP is known for, so, one could even say our QB position has been downgraded in that respect. With this team, we aren't going to score hoardes of points so the QB has to protect the ball like Frerotte did last year, and like CP DIDN'T do last week. Welcome to last year, maybe worse.

GO PHINS~!

quitter...after the first game YOU already have us sitting home...that makes YOU a QUITTER

cnc66
09-09-2006, 08:59 AM

I totally agree Des... the "fair" weather fans, the quitters and losers make me sick. Ronnie is a bust, Jason Allen is a bust, Daunte is a bust, we won't be better tha 9-7, Saban sucks, Zach is over the hill, ... these chumps will never be invited to MY house to take in a game...

aquaman54
09-09-2006, 09:36 AM
If you honestly would take Frerotte/Feeley/and Rosenfels over Culp/Harrington/and Lemon.....that must be some serious chronic that you're smoking.And by the way......Frerotte BARELY completed 50% of his passes last year in Linehan's system(along with 13 picks I might add)..........."QUITTER"!!!

FanMarino
09-09-2006, 09:55 AM

GO PHINS~!

I half agree with you. I dont think the OL is good enough to become a real good OL. That will come with the Draft and Free agency down the road. I still say playoffs though. The OL will get better during the season. Most OL's get better if they have potential and a good RB. The part i dont agree with is you saying we dont get a playoff spot. I think the only real danger is the Pats and i really think theve lost too many players during the offseason to make them a sure-fire hit for the playoffs. Thats where we step up.

dolfan4eva
09-09-2006, 10:08 AM

GO PHINS~!

In my opinion the o-line started off very shaky and then kept getting better as the game went along. Give them some time to gel. We have 3 new starters on the line. The same thing happened last year.

What I see happening is last year we worked with what we had and kept two players we thought were good enough to keep the job. This year hopefully we'll find a couple more pieces to the puzzle and not have to bring in as many replacements next year. It takes time to fix what we had when wanny was here.

R.Maghera
09-09-2006, 10:19 AM
For me the biggest disapointment is the lack of negative posts, because if there were more negative posts then all of these post criticizing the so called negative posts wouldn't be so bloody annoying. By far the fan reaction to this game has been positive and most people realize there were many positives to take from the game as well as aspects that need to be improved. We put up a great effort against a solid and experienced team, overall plenty to look forward to this season. I think a lot of the donkeys on this site just like to get on their soap box and start preaching to all of those "negative" fans to make themselves feel like true fans, too bad they are only preaching to about three people.

cnc66
09-09-2006, 10:22 AM
For me the biggest disapointment is the lack of negative posts, because if there were more negative posts then all of these post criticizing the so called negative posts wouldn't be so bloody annoying. By far the fan reaction to this game has been positive and most people realize there were many positives to take from the game as well as aspects that need to be improved. We put up a great effort against a solid and experienced team, overall plenty to look forward to this season. I think a lot of the donkeys on this site just like to get on their soap box and start preaching to all of those "negative" fans to make themselves feel like true fans, too bad they are only preaching to about three people.

hahahaha, where have you been reading..:goof:

TPD1479
09-09-2006, 10:28 AM
My biggest dissapointment is even as bad as the secondary played/is, as bad as the running game played/is we still had the game in our hands and we lost. 11-5 is still possible but NICK better fix the secondary quick. In my opinion Goodman should have been released as soon as he got off the plane...

GEORGIA FIN
09-09-2006, 10:30 AM
My only dislike this offseason is all the media hype we've been getting. I prefer to lay low and fly under everyones radar and then knock them on their ***!! Keep in mind Saban has only been the coach for 17 games now and to be where we are now from 2 years ago is amazing!!! We're mot going to come out the gates perfect. It's Week 1 and all the other teams will play sloppy football come Sunday too. Sometimes you get lucky and survive your mistakes to win and other times they do you in. We've got 15 more weeks of improvement coming and I'm sure our results will be better. I Saban could win with Wanny's leftovers last year he can get these guys to play winning ball too!!!!!!

JJW1339
09-09-2006, 10:47 AM
The draft was not that good. If we were looking for players who can contribute NOW. Not like last years draft, there were 3 to 4 players who made an impact right away. We needed help in the OL and we did not take care of that need. No matter how good of coach you are, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The talent is just not there. The secondary is weak and not on the same page. At this stage they should know what their assignments are. As far as the backs go, with this line, I don't think Zonk, Kiick, or Mercury Morris could be successful.

cnc66
09-09-2006, 11:00 AM
The draft was not that good. If we were looking for players who can contribute NOW. Not like last years draft, there were 3 to 4 players who made an impact right away. We needed help in the OL and we did not take care of that need. No matter how good of coach you are, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The talent is just not there. The secondary is weak and not on the same page. At this stage they should know what their assignments are. As far as the backs go, with this line, I don't think Zonk, Kiick, or Mercury Morris could be successful.

really...it took them half a season to get it last year...including Zach, one of the smartest and hardest workers in the game...

cheyannefan
09-09-2006, 11:15 AM
The loss was disappointing and yes we have to live with it for another eight days, but next week is Buffalo guys. As far as the most disappointing thing this offseason, I would have to say the draft. Jason Allen is a good player and will only get better, but at #16 I was hoping to trade down or draft someone else. I like Hagen, Toledo, and Evans but the fact that Roddy Wright can't play now and Aromashadu didn't make the team disappint me.

FinNation13
09-09-2006, 11:18 AM

Totally agree, these people are very disappointing. I cant take it anymore. I have been trying to be positive over the past 2 days

hellsapoppin
09-09-2006, 11:26 AM
For me its the OL. Im always hoping we will get a great run blocking OL but every year we dont get one. We have to depend on Ricky and now Ronnie who can get that extra few yds with their own attributes and not quality blocking from the OL. We are average at best. OL coach Houck is supposed to be THE OL guru. He hasnt shown it to me yet. We had nothing for an offensive line last season, yet Houck pulled our line together enough for us to win the last 6 games. I think Houck is doing a great job. I posted last week that i had noticed that our offensive line seems to take time to gell at the beginning of the season, I expect them to get it together much sooner this season and i know they will. Next weeks game will look alot different then this past game.

cornell
09-09-2006, 11:38 AM
I haven't even looked at anything football/Dolphins since Thursday because the feelings were to raw and I knew here some fans would give up. Yes we lost and Batch was the QB, but as good as Ben is, he is not the reason they won the SB (yes the game saving tackle against the Colts was huge), it was a team effort (and very good D). If we had played lesser teams and won a few, like Bills or Jets (not that I guarentee wins over them, but think we are a better team than them) and were 2-0 before we had the same game against the Steelers and lost the same way, we would not have nearly this much negativity! I think its because we played a very good team with one of the best Defenses in the league week 1 and lost (yes its a game we could have won).

We saw a lot of good things: wes returning kicks and being a solid reciever; the defese getting pressure in the 4th quarter, sacking batch/stuffing run to set up 3rd and 19, only to have a silly penalty nulify the 3 and out stop (yes we got it back on a fumble, but should not have happened and we should have had great field position after a punt; and although Daunte had a bad 4th quarter, he did show he has a rocket arm and he can take hits.

We were not going to be 16-0 anyways!!!! Pittsburg was always a game that realistically would be a loss for us. We need to improve in certain areas. Yes daunte did not have a TD and had 2 costly ints., but his rocket to chambers in the endzone at the end of the 1st half could have been caught as well as several others that the recievers dropped. not that I'm predicting this either, but other teams have lost the 1st game and gotten into playoffs and Won the SB ( NE as you may remember) Saban has extra time to make sure the players understand their mistakes and what he expects! Don't give up on the season quite yet my fellow Fins Fans!!!

hellsapoppin
09-09-2006, 11:42 AM

GO PHINS~! I wouldn't say that you are a quitter, and also no disrespect to yourself, but i don't believe you have any idea what you are talking about. Maybe you just don't understand football. Since the Draft almost everyone has praised Saban, for the moves he has made including myself. And now after (1) Game as far as you are concern we have a terrible OL, A crappy running back, A Quarterback who should of retired 2 years ago. And a secondary who doesn't show up for the game. We have a decent secondary, An offensive line that is still learning to work together, which will improve as the season goes on, We also have one of the best Quarterbacks in the league which will be proven to you by the end of the season, To say we are worst off with Culpepper, then Freotte just doesn't make sense to me. I am not a preacher i am just saying it takes time to gell as a team. Practice games is totally different then real time games this i know you know. So i say to you Welcome to this year not last year. And as the season goes on you will see that we have a much better team this season then last. You have got to believe in your team.

FanMarino
09-09-2006, 12:08 PM
We had nothing for an offensive line last season, yet Houck pulled our line together enough for us to win the last 6 games. I think Houck is doing a great job. I posted last week that i had noticed that our offensive line seems to take time to gell at the beginning of the season, I expect them to get it together much sooner this season and i know they will. Next weeks game will look alot different then this past game.

I agree about the OL looking better in the last 6 games last season but once again its been thrown into the mix during the off season. Their is no stability at the moment. Its not so bad when there is one position up for grabs but at the moment its a lottery. Pass protection during the game wasnt bad at all. I was impressed with the pockets that was created but the running game was a different matter. I know it was the Steelers D and that has to be respected and i think the bigger picture will appear after the Bills game but it didnt look good regarding creating running lanes for Ronnie IMO. Ronnie is a class act but he isnt a magician. Against the Bills he may get 100yds+ so lets see.

Phanatical
09-09-2006, 11:03 PM
quitter...after the first game YOU already have us sitting home...that makes YOU a QUITTER

Whatever, I've been a Dolphins fan since 1971, I'll be one til the day I die. I'm not a quitter, I'm just not a homer. LOL.

GO PHINS~!

Phanatical
09-09-2006, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't say that you are a quitter, and also no disrespect to yourself, but i don't believe you have any idea what you are talking about. Maybe you just don't understand football. Since the Draft almost everyone has praised Saban, for the moves he has made including myself. And now after (1) Game as far as you are concern we have a terrible OL, A crappy running back, A Quarterback who should of retired 2 years ago. And a secondary who doesn't show up for the game. We have a decent secondary, An offensive line that is still learning to work together, which will improve as the season goes on, We also have one of the best Quarterbacks in the league which will be proven to you by the end of the season, To say we are worst off with Culpepper, then Freotte just doesn't make sense to me. I am not a preacher i am just saying it takes time to gell as a team. Practice games is totally different then real time games this i know you know. So i say to you Welcome to this year not last year. And as the season goes on you will see that we have a much better team this season then last. You have got to believe in your team.

OK, first of all, I didn't say we had a crappy running back, I said Brown wasn't as good as Ricky Williams. I also didn't say we had a crappy quarteback, I said he turns the ball over too much for the type of team we have, and that Frerotte made less turnovers than DC will make. You say I don't know what I am talking about? That's cool, that's your opinion. But you know what they say about opinions, they're like *******s, everyone has one. If you think Brown is better than R. Williams, than you are smoking the same cheba that Ricky is. If you think that CP doesn't turn the ball over more than Frerotte, you better go back and look at the stats. In 80 games CP has 86 interceptions and 36 fumbles lost. In 79 games, Frerotte has 79 INT's and only 17 fumbles lost. Frerotte doesn't turn the ball over as often. This team can't afford the turnovers. Also, if you look at Frerotte's INT's last year, many of them weren't the result of poor throws and poor reads like CP made in this last game. CP was lucky that he didn't have at least 2 more picks in that steelers game.

hellsapoppin
09-10-2006, 11:35 AM
OK, first of all, I didn't say we had a crappy running back, I said Brown wasn't as good as Ricky Williams. I also didn't say we had a crappy quarteback, I said he turns the ball over too much for the type of team we have, and that Frerotte made less turnovers than DC will make. You say I don't know what I am talking about? That's cool, that's your opinion. But you know what they say about opinions, they're like *******s, everyone has one. If you think Brown is better than R. Williams, than you are smoking the same cheba that Ricky is. If you think that CP doesn't turn the ball over more than Frerotte, you better go back and look at the stats. In 80 games CP has 86 interceptions and 36 fumbles lost. In 79 games, Frerotte has 79 INT's and only 17 fumbles lost. Frerotte doesn't turn the ball over as often. This team can't afford the turnovers. Also, if you look at Frerotte's INT's last year, many of them weren't the result of poor throws and poor reads like CP made in this last game. CP was lucky that he didn't have at least 2 more picks in that steelers game. I think Ricky is a really good running back one of the best especially late in the game. I don't believe that Ronnie has had the chance yet to prove what he can do. I mean he didn't do so bad last season with splitting the carries. It seems to me that you base alot on the past when it comes to Culpepper, DC is with a new and better team then he was with the Vikes, of course except Moss, which i think Chamber can be as good if he quits dropping the ball. And i do smoke the same cheba that Ricky does or did. What difference does that make.? Frerotte was ok for our team last season, I thought he played good. But he is no Culpepper, just my opinion. I believe that given time Culpepper will do really great for our team. Just my opinion. I didn't mean no disrepect to you.

Phanatical
09-10-2006, 08:32 PM
I think Ricky is a really good running back one of the best especially late in the game. I don't believe that Ronnie has had the chance yet to prove what he can do. I mean he didn't do so bad last season with splitting the carries. It seems to me that you base alot on the past when it comes to Culpepper, DC is with a new and better team then he was with the Vikes, of course except Moss, which i think Chamber can be as good if he quits dropping the ball. And i do smoke the same cheba that Ricky does or did. What difference does that make.? Frerotte was ok for our team last season, I thought he played good. But he is no Culpepper, just my opinion. I believe that given time Culpepper will do really great for our team. Just my opinion. I didn't mean no disrepect to you.

Cool. You make a good point about RB not YET being as good a running back as Ricky. I agree totally. Given time and experience, I actually think he has the potential to be BETTER than RW, but right now he simply isn't as good. He still hesitates at the wrong time, goes the wrong way, etc., but, he has more power and the same speed and moves as RW. Once he understands the game a little better he just might be better. As for CP, yes, of course I base my opinions on his past. Past performance is a good indicator of future performance. Also, I am basing my opinions on the pre-season and the first game vs. the Steelers. IMO, Culpepper has a history of fumbling, throwing INT's, and struggling against good teams. I am not saying that he is horrible, or that Harrington is any better, just that, IMO, he is overrated and is definitely NOT the next Dan Marino, not even close. LOL.

GO PHINS~!