PDA

View Full Version : NFL Conspiracy?

Phinzone
09-10-2006, 04:21 PM
With just about a minute and a half of the Jets Titans game, the booth called a challenge to a catch. Everyone was like "wtf are they challenging?". The ONLY thing to challenge there was the spot, which shouldn't have been challenged there anyway.

But here's where it bugs me. Then CBS (i believe) cuts out "per NFL rules they can't show the game past 4:15". Is that true? I bet it is, why was the game stopped to cost JUSt enough time to ruin the end of the game for broadcast viewers?.....trying to sell NFL network?

hmmm...............

Miami 13
09-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Hmmm, that is odd, that challenge was completely pointless.

DolfanDaveInATX
09-10-2006, 04:23 PM
That's an issue between you and your local CBS affiliate. Ours stayed with the game until the end.

Phinzone
09-10-2006, 04:23 PM
We got switched to the game after the KC game (blow out)

Daunt8TDChris84
09-10-2006, 04:25 PM
past 4:15 you cant? ok nice i want to see super bowl go 5 hours and get changed to nfl netowkr past 4:15

Miami 13
09-10-2006, 04:26 PM
past 4:15 you cant? ok nice i want to see super bowl go 5 hours and get changed to nfl netowkr past 4:15
That doesn't make any sense...

Pennington's Rocket Arm
09-10-2006, 05:23 PM
you SHOULD get directv and sunday ticket. end of story.

Phinzone
09-10-2006, 05:34 PM

Some of us are college students on an incredibly strict budget that can't afford NFL sunday ticket. I have enough problems with them moving monday night to ESPN. I shouldn't have to pay for a game.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
09-10-2006, 05:38 PM
well you don't.

cnc66
09-10-2006, 05:48 PM
With just about a minute and a half of the Jets Titans game, the booth called a challenge to a catch. Everyone was like "wtf are they challenging?". The ONLY thing to challenge there was the spot, which shouldn't have been challenged there anyway.

But here's where it bugs me. Then CBS (i believe) cuts out "per NFL rules they can't show the game past 4:15". Is that true? I bet it is, why was the game stopped to cost JUSt enough time to ruin the end of the game for broadcast viewers?.....trying to sell NFL network?

hmmm...............

I believe them...there are strict rules...stupid strict rules for games that overlap...what is your viewing area?

Mike13
09-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Some of us are college students on an incredibly strict budget that can't afford NFL sunday ticket. I have enough problems with them moving monday night to ESPN. I shouldn't have to pay for a game.

I hear ya, buying books are a ***** huh?

Phinzone
09-10-2006, 06:12 PM
I believe them...there are strict rules...stupid strict rules for games that overlap...what is your viewing area?

Yeah, i believe them too. i just thought it was a very odd call, and convenient at that :) They had JUST got back to the line when it cut out. Midwest, i'm in Ames Iowa.

John Biello
09-10-2006, 07:55 PM
same thing happened to me, and to the poster who replied i should get direct tv. i cannot direct tv has been out 3 times to my location, 2nd story condo facing the wrong location, and 3 times they said they cannot hook me up for direct tv. so for me its not an option. i think its bs at 4 16 they cut out on us

djfresh47
09-10-2006, 10:26 PM

hmmm...............

I always thought the rule was in effect. It would be trying to sell Sunday Ticket the NFL Network runs the radio broadcast and just has a scoreboard. I'm guessing the rival network in this case Fox wouldn't want the ratings to be negatively effected of their game if CBS was supposed to have an early game in your time zone.

feelthepain
09-10-2006, 10:45 PM

Why should we pay to watch football??? Don't we spend enough on merchindise and tickets??? It's discusting, no football player in the world is worth near the money they make. Why do we have to spend more so Peyton Manning can make $100,000,000.00 dollars???? What has he ever done on a football field thats worth more then $100.00 a game??? Nothing!!! This is the problem with this sport.

djfresh47
09-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Why should we pay to watch football??? Don't we spend enough on merchindise and tickets??? It's discusting, no football player in the world is worth near the money they make. Why do we have to spend more so Peyton Manning can make $100,000,000.00 dollars???? What has he ever done on a football field thats worth more then $100.00 a game??? Nothing!!! This is the problem with this sport.

Well the NFL is making money so why aren't the players worth what they make? Should guys take less money so the owners make more profit?

unifiedtheory
09-10-2006, 11:15 PM
They are the best in the World at what they do...

Take a look at the highest paid doctors/authors/lawyers/entertainers etc. and they get paid SIGNIFICANTLY more then the average person.

The PLAYERS are the reason the NFL gets BILLION dollar T.V. deals. The PLAYERS are the reason franchise's are worth over a billion dollars. Who should get all the money the NFL generates? Should it all go to the owners?

I have NO ISSUE with athletes making the money they do. I've always thought get EVERY CENT you can in this life. I've always thought NFL players are underpaid. They play the most dangerous sport and they should be paid for doing so...

You are not FORCED to spend a single cent on the NFL if you don't want to. Every week there is a lineup of games for FREE. The only games anyone has to pay to watch is Monday night and Thursday night, other then that they are all free.

You are not FORCED to buy merchandise or go to games. No one is telling you to do any of this...

I've been paying to watch the NFL for a decade, it's called Sunday Ticket. Do I WANT to pay for it? No. If I want to watch the Dolphins I have to pay for it though. No one is forcing me to do so, I do it out my love for the sport.

BE GOOD
09-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Baseball Players are much more overpaid....
You can't just have an opinion on football players, all pro-athletes are overpaid.

unifiedtheory
09-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Baseball Players are much more overpaid....
You can't just have an opinion on football players, all pro-athletes are overpaid.

They are paid what the market dictates. If someone offered you more money to do your job would you tuirn it down because you thought you were being "overpaid"?

Roman529
09-11-2006, 01:46 AM
This is why I watch games at the sportsbar. I get to see every game and there is no cutaway for the next game. :wink:

Alex44
09-11-2006, 01:48 AM
They are paid what the market dictates. If someone offered you more money to do your job would you tuirn it down because you thought you were being "overpaid"?

:yeahthat:

I hate when people say

'Well athletes make more money than teachers and doctors, thats wrong'

Well when people start paying to watch surgery, walking around with jerseys that have their teachers name on it, and the teachers start teaching in stadiums filled with tens of thousands of fans, they will get paid like athletes

They only make what they are bringing in

Slappy8800
09-11-2006, 01:50 AM
This is why I watch games at the sportsbar. I get to see every game and there is no cutaway for the next game. :wink:

:yes:

unifiedtheory
09-11-2006, 02:53 AM
:yeahthat:

I hate when people say

'Well athletes make more money than teachers and doctors, thats wrong'

Well when people start paying to watch surgery, walking around with jerseys that have their teachers name on it, and the teachers start teaching in stadiums filled with tens of thousands of fans, they will get paid like athletes

They only make what they are bringing in
I totally agree with you (a rarity...LOL).

When you think about it, the HIGHEST paid .5% of doctors make as much if not more then a lot of the highest paid athlets.

Why? Because they are in the top .5% of their profession....just like top flight athletes. Think about how many people play organized sports at every level. The professional athlete is the top .5% in their field...a field that grosses BILLIONS of dollars every year.

Athletes would be overpaid if the leagues were drowning in debt and they were the only ones making any money.

The other point of the arguement is valid though, to a point. Are teachers, firemen, police officers etc underpaid? Sure they are, when they are compared to pro athletes. That being said, pro athletes are underpaid compared to C.E.O.'s of huge companies, ditch diggers and fast food workers are underpaid when compared to teachers and firemen....it's all relative.

You can't compare what athletes make to what you or I make. The only comparison you can make is to entertainers, becasuse that is what they are in the end. If Katie Couric can get $15 million dollars a year to read damn teleprompter 5 nights a week for 1/2 an hour then I have NO problem with a professional football player making whatever he can while he takes high risks and has his lifelong health on the line every time he puts on a helmet.

Tone_E
09-11-2006, 07:51 AM

The money you spend on booze and wings week in and out, its almost worth getting sunday ticket and buying liquour from your local store. Plus you get to drink more, a lot more, becasue you are not driving every week, for the entire season, including playoffs............oh the humanity:boohoo: :D

nyjunc
09-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Hmmm, that is odd, that challenge was completely pointless.

It was a booth review not a challeneg and it clearly showed he stepped out at least at the 15 but they gave them the ball at the 12. 3 yds was big in that situation although it wound up not mattering.

burger13
09-11-2006, 10:56 AM
We got switched to the game after the KC game (blow out)

I think the answer to your original question is right there.......the rules about staying with a game past a specific time affect games that are switched to after the completion (or a switch from a blowout) of the originally scheduled game. (hope that makes sense).

If the original game on the affiliates schedule had run over, they could stay with it (except if a local marked game was following, then they would have to switch to that).