PDA

View Full Version : Please help me (Private colleges)

elliott
09-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Howdy guys.

Basically I'm after a quick bit of help.

We are writing to a few colleges in the US to see if they would be willing to donate some kit to us.

We first sent out some emails, and got a few no replies, one of which was from the head coach of the Connecticut Huskies (?) who suggested that only private colleges would be able to help us (because of state rules).

I know very little about the college system and so I don't know which are private establishments and which aren't.

I understand that Miami (Canes) are a private college, but which others are.

Someone else suggested to me that anywhere which doesn't have a state in it's name is likely to be private.

So I made a small list.

Boston College
Clemson
Wake Forest
Duke
Miami
Rutgers
Syracuse
Northwestern
Purdue
Baylor
Marshall
UAB
UCF
Houston
Rice
SMU
Tulane
Tulsa
UTEP
Notre Dame
Temple
Akron
Bowling Green
Buffalo
Miami (OH)
Toledo
BYU
TCU
Stanford
Vanderbilt
Auburn
LA Lafayette
Troy
LA Monroe

Which of these colleges are private and which aren't?

Are there any other private colleges which I've missed out?

CharlestonPhan
09-14-2006, 11:46 AM
actually almost all of those are public (state funded) schools... Notre Dame is definitely private however, like the U of Miami.

the athletic department at a university cannot give out free material items of any kind (besides information on the school etc.), or face sanction by the NCAA. when they recruit athletes, they cannot send them home with so much as a t shirt that says "Hurricane Football" on it. if anyone who works for the university were to see the recruit and his family on the side of the road with a flat tire, they cannot even pick them up in a car and drive them to a gas station.

Stoy10
09-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Purdue is a state funded college.

DonShula84
09-14-2006, 03:24 PM
USC is private but they suck so I'd avoid them :)

elliott
09-14-2006, 04:38 PM
actually almost all of those are public (state funded) schools... Notre Dame is definitely private however, like the U of Miami.

the athletic department at a university cannot give out free material items of any kind (besides information on the school etc.), or face sanction by the NCAA. when they recruit athletes, they cannot send them home with so much as a t shirt that says "Hurricane Football" on it. if anyone who works for the university were to see the recruit and his family on the side of the road with a flat tire, they cannot even pick them up in a car and drive them to a gas station.

Yeh. I'd read this. I'd also read that they can give things away to other organisations so long as they are not sponsored.

I've written a few times in the letters that we are an amateur organisation. This is a slight lie but given that we get given only $500 to run the team (that includes everything, kit, travel, ground), I think that's fair enough.

I sent out 12 letters in the end. At $1 a shot postage it's something that's worth doing just incase some people can send us 10 old footballs.

Cheers for your help guys. It was apreciated, in the end. :lol:

elliott
09-14-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm also going to write to Fins. I doubt they will give us anything but I'd just love getting a letter on official paper.

Any idea who at Fins to write to? Is there a Director of Football Operations or anything like that?