PDA

View Full Version : *Breaking News* - NY Times: Wii priced $250, out on November 19th -- CONFIRMED

Medieval954
09-14-2006, 02:20 AM
Seattlepi.com leaked a copy of a New York Times article on their site about the Wii's price and date. Though it is NOT official as Nintendo has their conference later today, it appears to be legit.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/285027_nintendo14.html

Quick Details...
- Price is "$250" ($249.99)
- Date is Sunday, November 19th, 2006
- 4 million Wii consoles shipped by the end of 2006 worldwide
- 25 launch titles by 1st and 3rd parties, 30 by the end of 2006
- 1st party games less than "$50" ($49.99)
- Virtual Console games priced between $5 and $10
- First time since the Super NES, there will be a game packed-in(!)...Wii Sports
- Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Excite Truck still on track
- Super Mario Galaxy pushed back to early 2007
- Ability to browse the internet on your TV
- Photo channel and interactive News and Weather channels via Wii(???)

Though Nintendo went on record saying it would be "less than $250", I am still disappointed that it's not $199. Though with a packed-in game (wow, remember those?) and the great possibility it will come with two controllers, it lessens the sting a little. Here's hoping they throw in more goodies (free Virtual Console game maybe?) for that $250 price.

Also, launching 2 days after the Playsation 3 would be crazy, but since Sony completely botched their console allocation for this year, it really doesn't matter anymore. That being said, that weekend is going to be great for ALL gamers :)

Lastly, I have no idea what the those channels are for, but I'm curious nonetheless. Everything becomes official later today and I'm sure we'll get a LOT more information.

-------

EDIT: Story has been pulled from Seattlepi.com, though it is on Gamespot now.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157572.html

EDIT 2: Story is back up on Seattlepi.com.

phinpunk14
09-14-2006, 02:28 AM
i like the fact that a game comes with it... i miss the good ol' days when everyone loved the same game, the one that came with the system.

Link
09-14-2006, 02:38 AM
Seattlepi.com leaked a copy of a New York Times article on their site about the Wii's price and date. Though it is NOT official as Nintendo has their conference later today, it appears to be legit.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/285027_nintendo14.html

Quick Details...
- Price is "$250" ($249.99)
- Date is Sunday, November 19th, 2006
- 4 million Wii consoles shipped by the end of 2006 worldwide
- 25 launch titles by 1st and 3rd parties, 30 by the end of 2006
- 1st party games less than "$50" ($49.99)
- Virtual Console games priced between $5 and $10
- First time since the Super NES, there will be a game packed-in(!)...Wii Sports
- Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Excite Truck still on track
- Super Mario Galaxy pushed back to early 2007
- Ability to browse the internet on your TV
- Photo channel and interactive News and Weather channels via Wii(???)

Though Nintendo went on record saying it would be "less than $250", I am still disappointed that it's not $199. Though with a packed-in game (wow, remember those?) and the great possibility it will come with two controllers, it lessens the sting a little. Here's hoping they throw in more goodies (free Virtual Console game maybe?) for that $250 price.

Also, launching 2 days after the Playsation 3 would be crazy, but since Sony completely botched their console allocation for this year, it really doesn't matter anymore. That being said, that weekend is going to be great for ALL gamers :)

Lastly, I have no idea what the those channels are for, but I'm curious nonetheless. Everything becomes official later today and I'm sure we'll get a LOT more information.

-------

EDIT: Story has been pulled from Seattlepi.com, though it is on Gamespot now.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157572.html

I saw this too, but the official Japanese news seems to put this story as nothing more then a nice attempt by the New York Times to get get the news out first. Look for a retraction on Friday.

Medieval954
09-14-2006, 02:58 AM
I saw this too, but the official Japanese news seems to put this story as nothing more then a nice attempt by the New York Times to get get the news out first. Look for a retraction on Friday.
A retraction is a possibility, but perhaps the different markets get different launch packages. It is odd that the Japanese Wii is a little over $200, but they don't get a pack-in game. Also, not out of the realm of possibility is a price drop just before launch similar to the Nintendo 64 dropping from $249 to $199 back then. Have to wait for the North American conference later today, I suppose.

Link
09-14-2006, 03:03 AM
A retraction is a possibility, but perhaps the different markets get different launch packages. It is odd that the Japanese Wii is a little over $200, but they don't get a pack-in game. Also, not out of the realm of possibility is a price drop just before launch similar to the Nintendo 64 dropping from $249 to $199 back then. Have to wait for the North American conference later today, I suppose.

Yeah, but I am now very confident that 200 dollars is the US price. Nintendo usually makes things a little cheaper here. But who knows? I will be mad if Wii sport is included. That game is not one I really want. Right now its Twilight Princess and Madden 2007 that I plan on getting.

Medieval954
09-14-2006, 03:08 AM
IGN has posted a little more info on the channels Nintendo plans to use via the Wii.

In a surprise announcement, Nintendo said that it wanted to make Wii a living room centerpiece by shipping the system with features outside of the videogame realm. Wii will include a photo channel, enabling users to display their digital photos through the console. It will also boast regularly updated news and weather channels. In addition, the system will ship with the Opera Web browser, enabling users to connect online.

One of the channels available on Wii is called the "Mii Channel." Here, players can customize avatars by selecting from a variety of face shapes, hair styles, color schemes, and so on. The hook is that these avatars can not only be stored on the console itself, they can also be transfered to the Wii remote itself -- presumably so players can easily access their personalized characters and take them with them when playing against friends.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732669p1.html

Well, that's interesting. I guess that's what the small amount of memory built-in to the controller is for.

Medieval954
09-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Yeah, but I am now very confident that 200 dollars is the US price. Nintendo usually makes things a little cheaper here. But who knows? I will be mad if Wii sport is included. That game is not one I really want. Right now its Twilight Princess and Madden 2007 that I plan on getting.
Well, I planned on getting Wii Sports anyway, but I'd still like it if they didn't force it on me. Also, like you, I'm hoping the NY Times jumped the gun on the info and we get the same prices the Japanese market gets.

Link
09-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Oh wow check this out. I know its in Japanese but it shows the Wii web browser made by Opera. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/features/wii_channel.html

Link
09-14-2006, 03:18 AM
Well, I planned on getting Wii Sports anyway, but I'd still like it if they didn't force it on me. Also, like you, I'm hoping the NY Times jumped the gun on the info and we get the same prices the Japanese market gets.

Yeah, all I ask is that they let me choose my games. I don't think I am asking too much. As for all I have seen from the japanese Wii day event, I am very impressed. Nintendo has it all working this time. The prices are very affordable and what they are offering has me downright drooling. As for the US release date I am going to guess it will be somewhere between November 9th and November 15th. I am excited. The Wii is turning out to be everything I could have ever hoped for. I won't sleep tonight.

Medieval954
09-14-2006, 03:19 AM
Oh wow check this out. I know its in Japanese but it shows the Wii web browser made by Opera. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/features/wii_channel.html

That is interesting. There's "ADOBE FLASH" wording too. I thought the folks at Opera said it wouldn't support Flash based sites on Wii. Maybe I'm thinking about the DS version of Opera.

Also, the picture on top is what I assume the WiiConnect24 hub will look like.

Link
09-14-2006, 03:22 AM
That is interesting. There's "ADOBE FLASH" wording too. I thought the folks at Opera said it wouldn't support Flash based sites on Wii. Maybe I'm thinking about the DS version of Opera.

Also, the picture on top is what I assume the WiiConnect24 hub will look like.

I think that was the DS browser. As for the interface in those pics, its what I had hoped. Its not amazing but it does the job and doesn't kill the experience.

Medieval954
09-14-2006, 03:29 AM
I think that was the DS browser. As for the interface in those pics, its what I had hoped. Its not amazing but it does the job and doesn't kill the experience.
Yeah and it's priced right too...Free :)

There's a new Wii preview montage on the Japanese site with lots of NEW footage.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/movie/lineup.html