View Full Version : Playstation 3 Release Date & Price

KingCrowder
09-14-2006, 03:03 AM
http://www.psxextreme.com/scripts/misc/misc.asp?MiscID=88

United States - November 17th, 2006
Playstation 3 Price
20GB Version - $499
60GB version - $599

Release Date got pushed back to March 2007 for Europe & Japan.

Clark Kent
09-14-2006, 07:58 AM
Forget Ps3... That is ridiculous. Ps3 isn't that much better then X360. i can't imagine this thing selling that well for this price.

edit: sorry mods

Stitches
09-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Forget Ps3... That is ridiculous. Ps3 isn't that much better then X360. i can't imagine this thing selling that well for this price.

edit: sorry mods

If you are planning on getting a blu-ray player, in addition to a next gen gaming system, it is actually a fantastic price. It seems like a steep price to me, but that's because I wouldn't fully utilize everything the system had to offer. If I had HD and all the other bells and whistles that go along with a home theater system, I would love to have a ps3. I still will probably get one, just not anytime soon.

305TillIDie
09-14-2006, 08:09 AM
ill wait until the ps3 price drops :refuse:

Motion
09-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Old news

Clark Kent
09-14-2006, 08:14 AM
If you are planning on getting a blu-ray player, in addition to a next gen gaming system, it is actually a fantastic price. It seems like a steep price to me, but that's because I wouldn't fully utilize everything the system had to offer. If I had HD and all the other bells and whistles that go along with a home theater systemStill, most ppl buy video game consoles for video games. Not everyone can also utilize everything as you say.

I would love to have a ps3. I still will probably get one, just not anytime soon.exactly my point...

Is it so much better then 360 that you would pay an extra 200 bucks?

KingCrowder
09-14-2006, 08:15 AM
Old news

Um they just updated the fact that shipping was pushed back and the amount of units released was cut in half only yesterday from what i seen so it's not that old.

UCFinfan86
09-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Still, most ppl buy video game consoles for video games. Not everyone can also utilize everything as you say.

exactly my point...

Isn't it only a $100 extra? Isn't the wireless 360 $499 or did the price lower?

Also i hae a question, i have just a regular 20 inch tv, Would the 360 or PS3 play good on it still? If not will one look better then the other, Because i don't plan on getting a nice TV for years so that stuff does me no good and actually i might be leaning towards 360, $600 is just to expensive

Motion
09-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Um they just updated the fact that shipping was pushed back and the amount of units released was cut in half only yesterday from what i seen so it's not that old.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=157763

That was all announced last week, not yesterday.

Stitches
09-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Isn't it only a $100 extra? Isn't the wireless 360 $499 or did the price lower?

Also i hae a question, i have just a regular 20 inch tv, Would the 360 or PS3 play good on it still? If not will one look better then the other, Because i don't plan on getting a nice TV for years so that stuff does me no good and actually i might be leaning towards 360, $600 is just to expensive

It's only $100 more from the complete xbox 360 system(not core) to get the 20 GB PS3. It's $200 more for the 60GB. Now if you are going to get one of the PS3's you may as well get the 60GB one in my opinion. But if you paid $499 for an XBOX360 recently, you my friend got hosed.

Edit: The retail prices have never been lowed.

Stitches
09-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Still, most ppl buy video game consoles for video games. Not everyone can also utilize everything as you say.

exactly my point...

I do want to say that I would never have gotten a ps2 so early in it's lifespan(like 5 months after release) had I not wanted my own dvd player. Getting a sweet game system and a dvd player for that price just seemed like a no brainer. (the only difference now is the price has doubled due to the technology)

As for the 360 being better considering price, it is difficult to say. Without a doubt at this exact moment, the 360 is the immediate better purchase due to it's library. But, when you factor in the companies' history, the prospective technology and products, games, system capabilites, and price into your decision, I see it as being a draw between the two systems. In time, obviously that will seperate. But if I hadn't already bought a 360(I got it like 4 months ago, because I was sick of waiting to choose), I would think the system choice would come down to company preference. And in my case, as well as many others, I would pick the PS3.

Obviously in like 2 years, we will know more. But right now I say the systems are a draw, because I am looking to tomorrow and not just today.

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 10:06 AM
ps3 and 360 are capable of good graphics, although they still trail an well maintained pc. bottom line is that your 20" standard def TV will only look so good. These units were made to shine on HDTV's, and while they look 'ok' on a SDTV (standard def), IMO they don't really outshine an xbox1 using component cables by that much.

Maybe I am a little biased towards the HDTV, but it makes a HUGE difference, and the fact is the SDTV's can just only do so much...they are your "bottleneck" basically when you hook a 360/ps3 up to it...

The ps3 is kinda cool, but honestly....HDMI isn't really needed and being forced to purchase a blu ray player of questionable quality may be a mistake for sony....to the guy with the 20" sdtv, you will never use HDMI or Bluray so why pay for it? You'd be better off with a computer LCD and buying the Microsoft xbox 360 VGA cables and running the 360 to that.

Microsoft releasing the external HD-DVD is smart.....that way people have a choice.

And folks, keep in mind...HDMI is basically Component cables with built in copyright protection......the same people that tell you hdmi rules so hardcore, are the same ones that tell you that you NEED to have MONSTER cables....(monster cables are the biggest scam imo...such a waste)...

FinFan72
09-14-2006, 11:13 AM
i'll wait for the price to drop around 250 - 300 before i get it
that price is just ridiculous
and i know i will be waiting for a couple years

Stitches
09-14-2006, 11:22 AM
ps3 and 360 are capable of good graphics, although they still trail an well maintained pc. bottom line is that your 20" standard def TV will only look so good. These units were made to shine on HDTV's, and while they look 'ok' on a SDTV (standard def), IMO they don't really outshine an xbox1 using component cables by that much.

Maybe I am a little biased towards the HDTV, but it makes a HUGE difference, and the fact is the SDTV's can just only do so much...they are your "bottleneck" basically when you hook a 360/ps3 up to it...

The ps3 is kinda cool, but honestly....HDMI isn't really needed and being forced to purchase a blu ray player of questionable quality may be a mistake for sony....to the guy with the 20" sdtv, you will never use HDMI or Bluray so why pay for it? You'd be better off with a computer LCD and buying the Microsoft xbox 360 VGA cables and running the 360 to that.

Microsoft releasing the external HD-DVD is smart.....that way people have a choice.

And folks, keep in mind...HDMI is basically Component cables with built in copyright protection......the same people that tell you hdmi rules so hardcore, are the same ones that tell you that you NEED to have MONSTER cables....(monster cables are the biggest scam imo...such a waste)...

I used to work at Circuit City and I could not agree with you more on the Monster Cables. I mean they are good, but not for thier price. You should see the discount that comes for employees on those things(because the discount is so much percentage over what it cost to buy them from the manufacturer, like 10% over cost).

Stitches
09-14-2006, 11:23 AM
i'll wait for the price to drop around 250 - 300 before i get it
that price is just ridiculous
and i know i will be waiting for a couple years

It will be easily half the system life(probably more) before it drops to that price(unless it flops obviously).

Pagan
09-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Bottom line is, you buy the PS3 you get hosed.

Even if the PS3 is more powerful than the 360, third party developers - when they create games for use on both systems - HAVE to create the game for the lowest denominator. Therefore, the games will be made to the 360's capability.

They won't look or play any better on the PS3. Developers are NOT going to spend the money developing the game twice. They'll make minor tweaks for the PS3, but nothing that will warrant paying that much more money for the system over the 360.

The only games that will capitalize on the extra power will be games exclusive to PS3. Franchise games like Madden, Resident Evil, GTA, etc. won't look any better.

As for the blu-ray argument, it's too early to use that as a reason to purchase the system. There's no telling which format - HDCD or Blu-ray - will be the one to win out. If blu-ray goes to the scrap heap, than it's worthless as a reason to spend $600 on a gaming system.

I'm not an XBox fanboy, but for the $$$ and the online service there's no other choice.

I never bought them for a video game system, but I have the admit their cables for my bass made a huge difference in my sound. (before I went wireless, that is. :wink: )

UCFinfan86
09-14-2006, 11:46 AM
my bad i thought the 360 wireless one was $499 not $399. Damn i think my choice is easier now, i think i will proably go for the 360 in march(my birthday)

UCFinfan86
09-14-2006, 11:48 AM
also i dont play any games except sports games to the exclusive titles don't do anythign for me(except i do liek halo and GTA and now GTA is for both, which would be another reason for me to get 360)

Motion
09-14-2006, 11:52 AM

Even if the PS3 is more powerful than the 360, third party developers - when they create games for use on both systems - HAVE to create the game for the lowest denominator. Therefore, the games will be made to the 360's capability.

They won't look or play any better on the PS3. Developers are NOT going to spend the money developing the game twice. They'll make minor tweaks for the PS3, but nothing that will warrant paying that much more money for the system over the 360.

The only games that will capitalize on the extra power will be games exclusive to PS3. Franchise games like Madden, Resident Evil, GTA, etc. won't look any better.

As for the blu-ray argument, it's too early to use that as a reason to purchase the system. There's no telling which format - HDCD or Blu-ray - will be the one to win out. If blu-ray goes to the scrap heap, than it's worthless as a reason to spend $600 on a gaming system.

I'm not an XBox fanboy, but for the $$$ and the online service there's no other choice.

Basically comes down to exclusive games for most people

MGS, Gran Turismo, Socom, Killzone, etc...

vs.

Halo, Forza, Saints Row, etc....

mor911
09-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Basically comes down to exclusive games for most people

MGS, Gran Turismo, Socom, Killzone, etc...

vs.

Halo, Forza, Saints Row, etc....
I don't see Saint's Row being exclusive for too long.

Motion
09-14-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't see Saint's Row being exclusive for too long.

Fine with me. :wink:

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 12:38 PM

I never bought them for a video game system, but I have the admit their cables for my bass made a huge difference in my sound. (before I went wireless, that is. :wink: )

It depends on how successful it is especially in Japan where they have many game companies.

About the HD DVD and blu-ray thing, I will say what I have said all along. Microsoft made a HUGE mistake not including HD DVD in their system. There was a time where games did not fill the full capacity of the CD-Rom, two years down the road that changed. I do not see games getting smaller, I do not see sound not getting better. I just do not see technology not trying to push the limits of what it can do. What Microsoft did was potentially reduce the lifespan of the 360 by 2 years if not more due to the lack of HD DVD or Blu-Ray. Not only that, but to not have a hard drive standard just puzzles me. One thing the original Xbox taught me was hard drive makes gaming life better.

Bruzer
09-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Well put dupree games will not be topping off anytime soon.... Game engines get new technologies that increase poly counts, textures, texture sizes, map sizes etc.... By using blueray yea it may be early but if someone want a large scale game for a console they will go for blueray as they can fit more on a disc without having to compress anything. So yea xbox may be the fastest out of the gate but sony will make a longer run....

mor911
09-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Some other notable 360 exclusives are Alan Wake (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/alanwake/index.html?q=alan%20wake), Crack Down (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/crackdown/index.html), Gears of War (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/gearsofwar/index.html?q=gears%20of%20war), and Mass Effect (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/masseffect/index.html?q=mass%20effect).

Alan Wake is an awesome looking phsycological thriller. I expect some sort of Indigo Prophecy-esq adventure.

Crackdown is a futuristic GTA-style open ended action game. It's created by one of the minds behind GTA. The hype on this game is relatively low (which The Mor actually likes). But looks good.

Gears of War... well if you haven't heard of GoW by now you've been living under a rock. Hype is WAY too high on GoW imo. I don't think it'll be that great. Pretty, yes. Great game, maybe.

Mass Effect is going to be the RPG to beat next year. The screen shots don't do it justice. Download the XBL video and your jaw will be on the floor.

UCFinfan86
09-14-2006, 01:18 PM
It depends on how successful it is especially in Japan where they have many game companies.

About the HD DVD and blu-ray thing, I will say what I have said all along. Microsoft made a HUGE mistake not including HD DVD in their system. There was a time where games did not fill the full capacity of the CD-Rom, two years down the road that changed. I do not see games getting smaller, I do not see sound not getting better. I just do not see technology not trying to push the limits of what it can do. What Microsoft did was potentially reduce the lifespan of the 360 by 2 years if not more due to the lack of HD DVD or Blu-Ray. Not only that, but to not have a hard drive standard just puzzles me. One thing the original Xbox taught me was hard drive makes gaming life better.

How long down the road are we talking? liek 5 years?

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 01:23 PM
How long down the road are we talking? liek 5 years?

It took 2 years for the last generation. Why would it take 3 years longer to add better graphics, better sound, more sound, more AI and all of the other bells and whistles that make games big?

To tell you the truth I wish that both systems would of waited a year or two so they could be cheaper with a hard drive and the next generation of DVD. I also believe that the current generation wasn't exactly losing too much steam to the point where people were begging for something different.

So here we are with an Xbox that does not have enough to be cheaper and a PS3 which does but is freaking expensive.

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 01:59 PM
i had a huge post, but the forums have been flaky lately and it lost it :(

basically mass effect looks insane

analog monster cables might make a difference over the junk that is usually shipped with whatever it is you had pagan, but a decent pair of radio shack cables for half the price would give the same improvement over the stock ones...

digital cables like dvi-d and hdmi are digital...ie either you have signal or you don't...there isn't room i don't beleive for 'noise' in the line... check out www.monoprice.com for cables if anyone needs...

also monsters surge protectors are a joke...as if multicolored plugs help defeat lightning strikes....you take a direct hit? and doesn't matter what you have it plugged to....its gonna fry

Pagan
09-14-2006, 02:07 PM
So here we are with an Xbox that does not have enough to be cheaper and a PS3 which does but is freaking expensive.
Where does the XBox "not have enough"???

The graphics are great, the gameplay is great, the sound is amazing, and the XBox Live! is fantastic.

What, because it doesn't have the HD DVD? And I don't get why you're saying 360 has no hard drive? I got the full bundle for $399 with the hard drive. If you mean the base system, okay...but who the hell buys that anyway?

Again, I'm not a fanboy. I have both the PS2 and the original XBox and love them both.. But I can't justify spending $100-$300 more for a system just cause it uses blu-ray, but doesn't come close to the online experience that XBox has.

When the next wave of games comes in for 360, now that the developers have had more time to tinker with the system's capabilities, I'm sure there'll be a noticeable improvement.

We'll see how much "not enough" is when "Halo" and "Gears of War" ship. :wink:

Motion
09-14-2006, 02:17 PM

The graphics are great, the gameplay is great, the sound is amazing, and the XBox Live! is fantastic.

What, because it doesn't have the HD DVD? And I don't get why you're saying 360 has no hard drive? I got the full bundle for $399 with the hard drive. If you mean the base system, okay...but who the hell buys that anyway?

Again, I'm not a fanboy. I have both the PS2 and the original XBox and love them both.. But I can't justify spending $100-$300 more for a system just cause it uses blu-ray, but doesn't come close to the online experience that XBox has.

When the next wave of games comes in for 360, now that the developers have had more time to tinker with the system's capabilities, I'm sure there'll be a noticeable improvement.

All a matter of opinion.

And thats all assuming Sony won't upgrade their Online Service significantly, which is pretty much a given that they are planning too.

Halo and Gears of War may not appeal to everyone. I love FPS's, but also think Halo is the most overrated game of all time.

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 02:23 PM
i'm also not ga ga over halo, but thats because im a pc gamer as well...and mouse/keyboard is imo ten times better for fps than a controller...that said, i will enjoy my 360 and nintendo wii for the same price as a ps3... :)

Pagan
09-14-2006, 02:34 PM
All a matter of opinion.
No **** Sherlock! :lol:

Read my posts again, I never said that what I said was fact, it was my opinion...just as you saying the XBox was not enough was your opinion. :wink:

Everyone will buy what they want when it all boils down. I was saying that I can't justify spending that much on a system that I don't feel is any better than 360.

Someone else might feel differently....and that's what keeps the videogame system wars interesting! :)

UCFinfan86
09-14-2006, 02:34 PM
The halo single player isn't that great, but the multiplayer where you fight against each other is one of my favorite part of a video game proably other then madden

Motion
09-14-2006, 02:39 PM
No **** Sherlock! :lol:

Read my posts again, I never said that what I said was fact, it was my opinion...just as you saying the XBox was not enough was your opinion. :wink:

Everyone will buy what they want when it all boils down. I was saying that I can't justify spending that much on a system that I don't feel is any better than 360.

Someone else might feel differently....and that's what keeps the videogame system wars interesting! :)
First off, I think your the one that needs to read the posts. I'm not the one who said "Xbox was not enough". Nor did I say you were wrong or that what you said was a fact. I was basically agreeing with you in the sense that people will buy what they personally want, I hate to see what you have to say to people that actually disagree with you. :shakeno:

Pagan
09-14-2006, 02:46 PM
First off, I think your the one that needs to read the posts. I'm not the one who said "Xbox was not enough". Nor did I say you were wrong or that what you said was a fact. I was basically agreeing with you in the sense that people will buy what they personally want, I hate to see what you have to say to people that actually disagree with you. :shakeno:
Whoa whoa whoa....Motion....bro. Misunderstanding then! Written words ya know, can be taken out of context! (an alot of the times are!)

I thought when you said "it's a matter of opinion" that you were disagreeing. No offense intended man!

Motion
09-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Whoa whoa whoa....Motion....bro. Misunderstanding then! Written words ya know, can be taken out of context! (an alot of the times are!)

I thought when you said "it's a matter of opinion" that you were disagreeing. No offense intended man!

Its all good :wink:

Sorry, rough day at work, little edgy. :tantrum:

:tongue:

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 03:11 PM

You go by the lowest specs when you look at a system. Without a built in hard drive that will either make some games work worse on a lower system or a game not work as well as it should on the better one. Maybe a company will spend time to make sure the game works as best as it could on both systems, but I don't really see that as much as a possibility.

Of course not having an HD DVD is not enough, games are going to get bigger. Going by history much bigger. Not having a hard drive and a high def dvd drive is going to hurt the Xbox 2 to 3 years down the road.

Halo and Gears of war are enough now. However if you think about the long run is Devil's May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X enough right now? Heck were they enough 2 years ago?

I can't justify spending that much for a system that does not have a hard drive standard.

Also I can justify $100 extra for a blu ray due to the fact it will make gaming better. Heck the good PS3 has built in Wi Fi. That is extra with the 360.

In another year or so the Xbox360 could of had a hard drive and HD dvd and be around the same price. Another year of waiting would of helped both systems A LOT.

Honus Joglund
09-14-2006, 03:23 PM
So that's $670 Canadian.

Forget that. :shakeno:

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 03:25 PM
who says that blu ray will make gaming better? That is unknown at this time.

I prefer Microsoft's external hd-dvd drive that will be available....basically i am the type of consumer that will buy it. The choice the buy a 360 w/o paying for the hd-dvd is a good thing. There will be hundreds of thousands of 360/ps3 owners that DON't have an HDTV....that have no clue wtf 1080i/1080p is...or why hd-dvd is better than blu ray or vice versa.

bottom line? ps3's back is to the wall....that system better kick some serious ****ing *** or it will flop like a beyotch.....m$ has a huge lead...

history repeats itself

-ps2 comes out
-tons of systems sold/tons of games in the library
-xbox comes out and is superior in every way except for the library of games
-ps2 is crowned the winner.
-360 comes out
-ps3 comes out and it's superiority is questionable, and not clear cut like the xbox over ps2...
-360 is crowned the winner?

Offerdahl56
09-14-2006, 03:32 PM
just curious---is the external HD-DVD drive for the 360 out yet? or is it still in the planning stages....any idea of the price tag?

Stitches
09-14-2006, 03:33 PM
You go by the lowest specs when you look at a system. Without a built in hard drive that will either make some games work worse on a lower system or a game not work as well as it should on the better one. Maybe a company will spend time to make sure the game works as best as it could on both systems, but I don't really see that as much as a possibility.

Of course not having an HD DVD is not enough, games are going to get bigger. Going by history much bigger. Not having a hard drive and a high def dvd drive is going to hurt the Xbox 2 to 3 years down the road.

Halo and Gears of war are enough now. However if you think about the long run is Devil's May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X enough right now? Heck were they enough 2 years ago?

I can't justify spending that much for a system that does not have a hard drive standard.

Also I can justify $100 extra for a blu ray due to the fact it will make gaming better. Heck the good PS3 has built in Wi Fi. That is extra with the 360.

In another year or so the Xbox360 could of had a hard drive and HD dvd and be around the same price. Another year of waiting would of helped both systems A LOT.

The last poster(phin-o-rama) talked about history repeating itself. I just have one question, what happened to the ps2's hard drive, when it wasn't included with the system from the word go?

It hurt the system in all actuality. The capabilites of the ps2 were diminished to a degree. Will the lack of a hard drive hurt the 360? Since it is more readily available for the 360, I don't see it as as much of a hinderance to games this time around. However, to say that Blu-ray or HD-DVD drives would not help gaming is a bit flawed. They(the drives) provide doorways for developers to put far more into a game, and make it more into an experience when they can use every single shred of space to put thier imagination to work. That doesn't mean the drives will be completely utilized by developers, but they would have that option.

Now, I love my 360 and I think most everything I know about it is great, but I do agree with Dupree that I wish each system had waited a year(because it would have benefited everyone that much more, gamers/companies/developers).

Stitches
09-14-2006, 03:35 PM
just curious---is the external HD-DVD drive for the 360 out yet? or is it still in the planning stages....any idea of the price tag?

I know it's not out yet. Not sure what stage it is, but I was under the assumption it was going to be $100 for the drive.

Bruzer
09-14-2006, 03:36 PM
The thing is phinorama xbox does not have some of the popular exclusives that sony has. Final fantasy already will keep ps3 from failing. Also metal gear solid will sell many systems. Those 2 games right there will sell TONS of systems. Thats not including titles that have not yet been announced.

Anyways many games anymore will not be exclusive as it cost so much to develop a game now. So I expect both systems to sell well but the one with better exclusives will sell better. Its hard to say history will repeat itself when its only happened once.

Killzone 3 will have to present itself and very well if so ps3 may have its halo. Only time will tell.

Offerdahl56
09-14-2006, 03:37 PM
I know it's not out yet. Not sure what stage it is, but I was under the assumption it was going to be $100 for the drive.

oh ok, cool--thanks!

Motion
09-14-2006, 03:41 PM

I prefer Microsoft's external hd-dvd drive that will be available....basically i am the type of consumer that will buy it. The choice the buy a 360 w/o paying for the hd-dvd is a good thing. There will be hundreds of thousands of 360/ps3 owners that DON't have an HDTV....that have no clue wtf 1080i/1080p is...or why hd-dvd is better than blu ray or vice versa.

bottom line? ps3's back is to the wall....that system better kick some serious ****ing *** or it will flop like a beyotch.....m$ has a huge lead...

history repeats itself

-ps2 comes out
-360 comes out
-ps3 comes out and it's superiority is questionable, and not clear cut like the xbox over ps2...

Extremely premature at this point. Its not even out yet for god sakes. This is something that should be talked about a year from now.

Stitches
09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
The thing is phinorama xbox does not have some of the popular exclusives that sony has. Final fantasy already will keep ps3 from failing. Also metal gear solid will sell many systems. Those 2 games right there will sell TONS of systems. Thats not including titles that have not yet been announced.

Anyways many games anymore will not be exclusive as it cost so much to develop a game now. So I expect both systems to sell well but the one with better exclusives will sell better. Its hard to say history will repeat itself when its only happened once.

Killzone 3 will have to present itself and very well if so ps3 may have its halo. Only time will tell.

Ok, this is going to sound ignorant, but when did Killzone 2 come out? Was it bad, because I never heard about it?

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
well i did put a question mark after the '360 is crowned the winner' lol :p

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 03:49 PM

history repeats itself

-ps2 comes out
-360 comes out

360 is still not selling well in Japan, which is a very important market for gaming. Last I checked 360 does not have a tons of games in the library unless you count games like Joust.

Why wouldn't blu ray make gaming better? How wouldn't it?

I don't understand why people prefer it. If I want a HD dvd player, why wouldn't I just freaking buy one? Why buy an add on? I want a system for games and bigger storage medium means bigger games which could mean better games (if done right. All these assumptions are based on people actually making quality games).

There was a time when the best games were only a few hundred megabytes, now they are around 3 gigs a piece. Three years from now I am willing to bet (if Microsoft had HD DVD drive) they would be at least 15 gigs a piece. Microsoft lack of a HD DVD drive might actually hold games back for a few years until the Xbox720.

Motion
09-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Ok, this is going to sound ignorant, but when did Killzone 2 come out? Was it bad, because I never heard about it?

It didn't, some people call the new one Killzone PS3, not sure if thats what he meant or not.

Motion
09-14-2006, 03:53 PM
360 is still not selling well in Japan, which is a very important market for gaming. Last I checked 360 does not have a tons of games in the library unless you count games like Joust.

:yeahthat:

Bruzer
09-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Killzone Liberation is Killzone 2 its on PSP probably why you haven't heard of it.

Stitches
09-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Killzone Liberation is Killzone 2 its on PSP probably why you haven't heard of it.

Thanks.:D

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 04:14 PM
so the year headstart M$ has on sony doesn't makefor a larger library? they are planning to unload mass games to the public this holiday season along with an hd-dvd external drive...you keep saying that m$ didn't do the hd-dvd drive, but they are releasing it, and how do you know that it won't be incorporated into the games?

blu ray/hd-dvd are just storage formats... you are right..could give room for more intro movies or something but no direct performance improvement....if i recall FF XII is heralded as the best of the series, yet had like 4 or 5 discs.....the worst thing that could happen to microsoft would be if they have to split a game over 2 discs due to storage problems...but like i said, who is to say that the external hd-dvd couldn't be incorporated into the games.....

Stitches
09-14-2006, 04:17 PM
so the year headstart M$ has on sony doesn't makefor a larger library? they are planning to unload mass games to the public this holiday season along with an hd-dvd external drive...you keep saying that m$ didn't do the hd-dvd drive, but they are releasing it, and how do you know that it won't be incorporated into the games?

blu ray/hd-dvd are just storage formats... you are right..could give room for more intro movies or something but no direct performance improvement....if i recall FF XII is heralded as the best of the series, yet had like 4 or 5 discs.....the worst thing that could happen to microsoft would be if they have to split a game over 2 discs due to storage problems...but like i said, who is to say that the external hd-dvd couldn't be incorporated into the games.....

I think you mistyped, because I don't know anyone(at least stateside) who says FF XII is the best. And I don't think it is 4 or 5 discs either.

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 04:18 PM
OI i mean 7 VII

Motion
09-14-2006, 04:19 PM

Cause its not standard/included hardware, therefore Developers have to design games without it's benefit because its an extra that not everyone will have. Thats the point.

mor911
09-14-2006, 04:23 PM
FF12 is one disc... I know because I HAVE THE JAPANESE GAME. Although I do I agree that storage space is not anywhere near the issue Sony wants people to think it is. It pisses me off because Sony is only doing Blu-ray for one reason, money. They could have been fine with DVDs and the unit could have been cheaper... But that decided that they could use their console to push their new format. Every Blu-ray movie that's sold, Sony gets royalties... So they force the public to adopt to it.

I agree again with Frisches, the worse case scenario is that a 360 game will be multiple discs. It never bothered players up until now (or affected games) and I don't see that it will start to.

The biggest, most expansive game on the market now is probably Oblivion. It can fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD5. DVD9 discs hold 9.7 GB. It will be fine.

ChrisKo
09-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Here's the point regarding the HD-DVD player for the Xbox360. It will not be used for games.

"I'm seeing lots of speculation about our upcoming HD DVD Player, and whether we have plans to publish HD DVD games. The answer is no." ; John Porcaro, a Microsoft employee and member of the Xbox Global Marketing team, explained in the team’s Gamerscore blog.

Porcaro added: "Since announcing the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player accessory at E3 2006, it’s been clear that it is designed exclusively for playing HD DVD movies. It will not play games on HD DVD."

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11573/HD-DVD-Xbox-360-Games-Another-Rumor-Debunked/

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Games > Hardware

that is where the battle will be won, and like it or not...M$ has a nice headstart....i think we can all agree on that.

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 04:27 PM
FF12 is one disc... I know because I HAVE THE JAPANESE GAME. Although I do I agree that storage space is not anywhere near the issue Sony wants people to think it is. It pisses me off because Sony is only doing Blu-ray for one reason, money. They could have been fine with DVDs and the unit could have been cheaper... But that decided that they could use their console to push their new format. Every Blu-ray movie that's sold, Sony gets royalties... So they force the public to adopt to it.

I agree again with Frisches, the worse case scenario is that a 360 game will be multiple discs. It never bothered players up until now (or affected games) and I don't see that it will start to.

The biggest, most expansive game on the market now is probably Oblivion. It can fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD5. DVD9 discs hold 9.7 GB. It will be fine.

yeah i meant FF VII ...7 ......

Motion
09-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Games > Hardware

that is where the battle will be won, and like it or not...M$ has a nice headstart....i think we can all agree on that.
Quality>Quanity when it comes to games, I'll agree to that. Theres a reason I don't personally have a 360 yet, not enough, if any, elite games to justify the purchase. I do agree the games are the key though.

Bruzer
09-14-2006, 04:32 PM
xbox 360 has 2 games really hyped that will sell systems and so does ps3 based on what has been presented you wont be dissapointed with either system but its the taste of games you want... Me I love metal gear solid and that sells the ps3 for me I have no games coming for 360 that make me want the system... (that is what i think so don't take that out of statement).

Like I always say you cannot determine a winner till 2 years after a system is out. I think the battle of ps3 and xbox will be a close one and no one will destroy the other...

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 04:34 PM

So basically you are saying that right now that if Xbox and Playstation still used CD drives it would be fine

The only reason Sony is releasing the PS3 is for money. I will let you in on another secret, the only reason Microsoft is released the Xbox360 is for money. Another big secret, Nintendo wants to make money on the Wii.

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Games > Hardware

For myself it is not a "like it or not" other than the fact that I think it would of been better for games that the Microsoft 360 and Ps3 came out next year. In fact from what I remember reading the Microsoft 360 was slated to come out this year but was bumped up due to the fact that Sony moved up the PS3 to compete with the 360, so they bumped up thier launch to keep their head start. I feel that if both companies waited a year the gaming industry as a whole would of benefited. I do feel that both the Xbox and PS2 has another year of quality games coming out and is just starting to feel the slowdown in game quality that is generally associated with the next system launch.

I do agree that games > hardware, which is why I am getting a PS3. I am a FF whore, it is the reason I bought the PS and the PS2. Later I did end up getting an Xbox. Ninja Gaiden is freaking awesome and KoTOR.

mor911
09-14-2006, 04:41 PM
So basically you are saying that right now that if Xbox and Playstation still used CD drives it would be fine

The only reason Sony is releasing the PS3 is for money. I will let you in on another secret, the only reason Microsoft is released the Xbox360 is for money. Another big secret, Nintendo wants to make money on the Wii.
See, you're leaving out one small detail in your genius post of condesending non-sense. Nobody gets royalties for every DVD sold.

The ONLY reason Blu-ray is so importand to Sony is so they can try and rake in all the money that can possibly be from the home movie industry. The PS3 would be fine on DVD9s.

CDs were in business for what? 7 or 8 years when DVDs because a universal medium for games.. DVDs got popular with the PS2 in 99. Most people didn't start embrassing and using DVDs for movies till well into 2001 or 2002 even. So DVDs have been a regular storage device for 5-6 years. For games that's not a big deal... But for movies? VHS tapes lasted 20 years. DVDs 6? Bull. The Blu-ray (and the HD-DVD for that matter) is neither needed nor can the common populace use it right now. It's Sony's attempt to force the world into a medium they control.

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 04:46 PM
yeah i will agree they should have waited...i do..

i am a FF fan too, don't get me wrong....i had ps1, 2, xbox all that....i will buy a wii i really think...i know my wife will **** her pants when i download super mario and tetris (games she actually likes) with the wii....the built in wifi is nice....

i can justify buying the wii for the money saved from not getting a ps3....that may be silly to some but it makes sense to me hehe....

Bruzer
09-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Its a business world though any company will do what they can to control thier area of expertise... Microsoft is no different than sony.

Anyways I look forward to ps3 regardless of price if I had the money I would buy it...

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 04:49 PM
See, you're leaving out one small detail in your genius post of condesending non-sense. Nobody gets royalties for every DVD sold.

The ONLY reason Blu-ray is so importand to Sony is so they can try and rake in all the money that can possibly be from the home movie industry. The PS3 would be fine on DVD9s.

CDs were in business for what? 7 or 8 years when DVDs because a universal medium for games.. DVDs got popular with the PS2 in 99. Most people didn't start embrassing and using DVDs for movies till well into 2001 or 2002 even. So DVDs have been a regular storage device for 5-6 years. For games that's not a big deal... But for movies? VHS tapes lasted 20 years. DVDs 6? Bull. The Blu-ray (and the HD-DVD for that matter) is neither needed nor can the common populace use it right now. It's Sony's attempt to force the world into a medium they control.

That does not matter. All business try to make money, just because Sony finds a great way to make money doesn't make them more evil than Microsoft and Nintendo or any other company trying to make money.

In fact Microsoft is MUCH worse than Sony when trying to "force" a product on the world.

I don't believe the PS3 would be fine with DVD9s just as I don't think that Microsoft is fine. I do believe that games will get bigger and bigger. There was a time when all games fit on one CD and if it wasn't an RPG it had plenty of room to spare. If memory serves me right the original Zelda on the N64 was 128MBs. With bigger graphics come bigger games, with better sound comes bigger games, with more AI, more physics comes bigger and bigger games. In 3 years down the road I predict that the DVD will look too small for games.

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 04:50 PM

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 04:50 PM
yeah i will agree they should have waited...i do..

i am a FF fan too, don't get me wrong....i had ps1, 2, xbox all that....i will buy a wii i really think...i know my wife will **** her pants when i download super mario and tetris (games she actually likes) with the wii....the built in wifi is nice....

i can justify buying the wii for the money saved from not getting a ps3....that may be silly to some but it makes sense to me hehe....

I can understand your non justification. It is the same reason I cannot justify buying an Xbox360 because of a lack of HD dvd drive and no standard hard drive. Unless a game comes out that I MUST PLAY I just don't see myself buying one until I am convinced that it can last long term and not go the way of the Dreamcast.

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 04:51 PM
That does not matter. All business try to make money, just because Sony finds a great way to make money doesn't make them more evil than Microsoft and Nintendo or any other company trying to make money.

In fact Microsoft is MUCH worse than Sony when trying to "force" a product on the world.

I don't believe the PS3 would be fine with DVD9s just as I don't think that Microsoft is fine. I do believe that games will get bigger and bigger. There was a time when all games fit on one CD and if it wasn't an RPG it had plenty of room to spare. If memory serves me right the original Zelda on the N64 was 128MBs. With bigger graphics come bigger games, with better sound comes bigger games, with more AI, more physics comes bigger and bigger games. In 3 years down the road I predict that the DVD will look too small for games.

are multiple discs the end of the world? honestly? and that is IF it comes to that.

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 04:54 PM
I can understand your non justification. It is the same reason I cannot justify buying an Xbox360 because of a lack of HD dvd drive and no standard hard drive. Unless a game comes out that I MUST PLAY I just don't see myself buying one until I am convinced that it can last long term and not go the way of the Dreamcast.

but...it has an hd-dvd drive...if you want it...hd-dvd has a LOT better chance of winning the battle...that has nothing to do with the 360.

how can the xbox 360 be compared to a dreamcast...lol....i need to be convinced that ps3 doesn't go the way of sega cd :rolleyes:

mor911
09-14-2006, 05:05 PM

I never said that Microsoft was innocent of anything. There's a lot of business practices that I hate. One of which is Sony's attempt to own a storage medium. I'm against it. I'm against their way doing it.

Of course a company is about making money. But the fact that Sony isn't making the Blu-ray for the love of gaming or to make gaming advance, they're doing it to take over the storage medium. There's about 10 games that ever took enough storage space to fill a DVD9. Most of them (including God of War, Xeno Saga, and Devil May Cry 3) fill the disk with space-filling files to make it harder to rip the game off... In reality, God of War is 1.8GB and Devil 3 is about 2GB. With processing power comes the ability to compress. Compression technology is amazing at this point. In 3 years the 360 will still have the same 3rd party non-exclusive titles on DVD9s that the PS3 will have on Blu-rays....

Here's another zinger... NO PS3 GAMES IN THE LAUNCH WINDOW WILL BE ON BLU-RAY. They'll all be on DVD9s.

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 05:07 PM
are multiple discs the end of the world? honestly? and that is IF it comes to that.

it is for all games that aren't RPGs. Unless more RPGs go the Oblivion route and then you need to switch discs for every other country you go into.

When you have non linear gameplay it is freaking annoying. I just want to put in the game and not think about anything else. Plus I don't want to have to play Madden on multiple dics.

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 05:09 PM
I never said that Microsoft was innocent of anything. There's a lot of business practices that I hate. One of which is Sony's attempt to own a storage medium. I'm against it. I'm against their way doing it.

Of course a company is about making money. But the fact that Sony isn't making the Blu-ray for the love of gaming or to make gaming advance, they're doing it to take over the storage medium. There's about 10 games that ever took enough storage space to fill a DVD9. Most of them (including God of War, Xeno Saga, and Devil May Cry 3) fill the disk with space-filling files to make it harder to rip the game off... In reality, God of War is 1.8GB and Devil 3 is about 2GB. With processing power comes the ability to compress. Compression technology is amazing at this point. In 3 years the 360 will still have the same 3rd party non-exclusive titles on DVD9s that the PS3 will have on Blu-rays....

Here's another zinger... NO PS3 GAMES IN THE LAUNCH WINDOW WILL BE ON BLU-RAY. They'll all be on DVD9s.

Only a few games were on DVD when the ps2 launched. Most of those games could of fit on a CD.

None of the games you mentioned would fit on a CD today. Are you saying that there isn't going to be an increase in game size this generation?

Also Microsoft is only releasing the Xbox to dominate the entertainment market. It is not because their love of gaming.

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 05:11 PM
but...it has an hd-dvd drive...if you want it...hd-dvd has a LOT better chance of winning the battle...that has nothing to do with the 360.

how can the xbox 360 be compared to a dreamcast...lol....i need to be convinced that ps3 doesn't go the way of sega cd :rolleyes:

I don't want it, I want it to be standard. Without it being standard it is useless to me. Unless I am have to buy it in the future when all the games I want to play comes out on the hd-dvd drive, then I would probably buy a 360.

mor911
09-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Only a few games were on DVD when the ps2 launched. Most of those games could of fit on a CD.

None of the games you mentioned would fit on a CD today. Are you saying that there isn't going to be an increase in game size this generation?

Also Microsoft is only releasing the Xbox to dominate the entertainment market. It is not because their love of gaming.
Ok, try to understand that I'm not defending Microsoft. Second, try to understand that the industry CHANGES. Things that happened with the PS2 isn't the same as now. I'm going to try and find the article in a second.

Throughout the course of the PS2 and Xbox's life... THE GAMES GOT SMALLER. Not bigger. So no, with the way technology in the game developement world and compression is advancing, I don't think it's going to get out of hand to the point where Blu-ray will be required.

Bruzer
09-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Blueray may not be required but there will be also developers who want ot go the extra mile and make a very large game they will turn to blueray... Remember Resistance fall of man is 20gb already...

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 05:30 PM
weak my awesome reply got lost in cyber space :(

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Ok I will try this again.

I am just going by what happened in the past and by what I read and experienced. With graphics taking the true next jump and with AI becoming even better I just see games becoming huge.

I am not some Sony lover. Myself I am more a Square follower. It is the reason I bought a PS, PS2 and soon a PS3. Just everything I have read and seen to me the PS3 is more future proof than the Xbox 360. Plus if used correctly parallel processing is very powerful

Phin-o-rama
09-14-2006, 05:58 PM
beta max was superior to vhs, and xbox was superior to ps2...when speaking hardware/specifications wise....just throwin that out there

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-14-2006, 06:35 PM
beta max was superior to vhs, and xbox was superior to ps2...when speaking hardware/specifications wise....just throwin that out there

yes and dreamcast shattered all launch release records.

There are many factors as to why one system wins over another. We won't know for sure in two years or so.

Bruzer
09-25-2006, 04:08 PM
What I don't get is xbox 360 with hd-dvd addon is basically same price as ps3 with blueray so I guess I don't see how xbox is so much better price wise. Yes its a addon but alot of the bigger better games will ask for the addon and eventually most xbox owners will have it.

mor911
09-25-2006, 04:16 PM
What I don't get is xbox 360 with hd-dvd addon is basically same price as ps3 with blueray so I guess I don't see how xbox is so much better price wise. Yes its a addon but alot of the bigger better games will ask for the addon and eventually most xbox owners will have it.
I guess they're marketing spin is that you have the choice to either get HD movies on your 360 if you want to, and spend $600... Where as Sony forces you to have to spend whatever extra the Blu-ray adds on to the PS3 price.

So it all comes down to choice.

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-25-2006, 04:38 PM
I guess they're marketing spin is that you have the choice to either get HD movies on your 360 if you want to, and spend $600... Where as Sony forces you to have to spend whatever extra the Blu-ray adds on to the PS3 price.

So it all comes down to choice.

That is a beautiful spin. I guess I bought a car and honda forced me to buy a steering wheel.

Myself when it comes to consoles I hate choice. If I wanted choice and add ons I would just get a PC. Well I do have a PC, but I would just play games on my PC.

ChrisKo
09-25-2006, 04:39 PM
The levels in Lair are 2GB a piece and Factor 5 developers were praising the use for Blu-Ray. (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733921p1.html)

I do think there will be quiet a few games that will utilize that extra space the media provides. I wonder how long it will be before MS breaks there no games on HD-DVD mantra? I heard one of the major reasons why MS isn't allowing games from the HD-DVD is because of access times. HD-DVD is maxed out at 36.5Mbps where as Blu-Ray will do up to 72Mbps (with a 2x drive). I have not seen if 2x drives are in the PS3, but one assumes Sony would use them in their flagship product. There's also possibilites that HD-DVD creates 2x drives, but it hasn't happened yet.

Anyway, the PS3 definately impressed the hell out of me (after seeing more TGS footgae) for it's launch/first gen titles looking so nice. The Xbox360 seems to be getting a better lineup of games (something I think it desperately needs). The future looks good for gaming and I haven't even mentioned the Wii :)

Bruzer
09-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Also resistance is 20+gb im glad they used blueray looking forward to some very large games. I was also impressed with ps3 games at tgs. Now still waiting word from killzone...