PDA

View Full Version : Enchanted Arms - JRPG Review (360)

mor911
09-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Enchanted Arms

I'm not sure how to explain this game. It recieved horrible reviews from the media. It was spat on for it's not-so-next-gen graphics. It was deemed an average JRPG... what do I think?

Enchanted Arms is your typical JRPG (Japanese RPG). For those who don't know what a JRPG is, think FFX, DQ8, or Xeno Saga. A linnear, story driven RPG often having the player take the roll in some deep plot. Enchanted Arms is just that... and ordinary JRPG.

Strangely as it is, I like it. I haven't played a good JRPG in a while. I guess there is SO many JRPGs on th PS2, I haven't played one I liked in ages (FF XII coming soon :) ). It's easy to enjoy a game when you read every where that it sucks.

Graphics - Nothing special. The environments looks good, but you really are railroaded as to where you can go. There's no open areas and your pretty much on a pth the whole game. The character models look really good... Especially that there is over 100 playable characters. Ok, only a few are main characters but you can control any of your Golems (more on that later).

Sound - Music is meh, the battle sounds are meh.... Where the game begins to really boil your bubble is the english dubbing. Oh My God! Worste voice acted game ever. I've seen bad 90s anime sound better. I'm not kidding, go to options and set sound output to Japanese. Just read the subtitles. You'll thank me later.

Control - It's a JRPG, if you played one, you played 'em all.

Gameplay - In Enchanted Arms you take control of Atsuma. A struggling student at Enchant University. Your arm has some mysterious history to it and you accidentally awaken a Devil Golem. One thing leads to the next and your in the quest of a lifetime. An ok story line.

The fighting system is part turn based combat and part turn based strategy. You chose your player's location and what move they'll do. Enemies do the same.

A cool feature to Enchanted Arms is the Golems system. There are over a hundred Golems in the game. All collectable. All playable. All will unique moves and powers. You can add/remove Golems to and from your party to meet the needs of your team. My problem - I fall in love with the powers of a golem and never want to take him off my team. But in the game you learn to swtch up your golems.

Overall - I was actually going to rate the game better than the media did, but after writing this I realized that I don't like it as much as I though I did.

6.9 of 10

:mor911:

finsrule84
09-18-2006, 04:22 PM
if you're looking for a good jrpg on 360 wait for Lost Odyssey. A lot of the talent involved in Final Fantasies I-X and other great square titles are working on it.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3818&Itemid=2

mor911
09-18-2006, 05:03 PM
if you're looking for a good jrpg on 360 wait for Lost Odyssey. A lot of the talent involved in Final Fantasies I-X and other great square titles are working on it.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3818&Itemid=2
:yes: I've been following this one like a hawk.