PDA

View Full Version : who do you think should get AL MVP??

marke27
09-23-2006, 02:47 PM
well this is a question alot of people are going to have a different view on. for me it comes down to a couple players. of course im going to say give it to my fav player Grady Sizemore, even thou he is on a losing team. just look at his numbers....he is #1 in the majors in extra base hits, #1 in the majors also in runs scored and doubles. #2 in the AL in triples....and also made some history this year becoming only the 4th player in major league history to have 25 hrs, 50 doubles and 10 triples...and you add in 20 plus steals and you have the complete player. but beside being a homer, if i had to give it to someone other then Grady, my vote would go to Justin Morneau of the Twins. i dont think Ortiz should get it cause for one hes a DH and doesnt play the feild, also he isnt the greatest avg hitter. so all in all Grady #1....but if it goes to a player on a winning team, it goes to Morneau. thoughts??

Rocky Raccoon
09-23-2006, 02:51 PM
the fact he plays on a terrible team is enough to axe him from the race...unless he was putting up record-breaking numbers, which he is not.

I'll say Jeter or Morneau

Ray Finkle
09-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Grady is one of the best young players in baseball however he won't even get in the top 5 in MVP voting. And really he shouldn't. He's having a great year but Jeter, Morneau, Santana, Mauer, Ortiz, Dye, Thomas all will get votes over him.

I agree with Rocky that the award should go to Jeter or Morneau.

MikeO
09-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Grady Sizemore? LOL LOL LOL

I didn't know it was April 1st!!!

P.S.........Jeter will win it

RWhitney014
09-23-2006, 06:00 PM
I pick Morneau. The Yankees win the division without Jeter. The Twins are not in the playoffs without Morneau's bat. And since pitchers have to be historically good to win the MVP, it goes to Morneau.

marke27
09-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Grady Sizemore? LOL LOL LOL

I didn't know it was April 1st!!!

P.S.........Jeter will win it

funny u say that when guys on epsn news say grady will be in the top 5 in voting and the texas rangers announcers last night said Grady is becomeing one of the best players in baseball......ha ya so funny. take it your a yankee fan..........

DonShula84
09-23-2006, 06:46 PM
funny u say that when guys on epsn news say grady will be in the top 5 in voting and the texas rangers announcers last night said Grady is becomeing one of the best players in baseball......ha ya so funny. take it your a yankee fan..........

He is a great player, but shouldnt be the first name mentioned in a thread about the MVP or even get serious consideration to be honest.

King Felix
09-23-2006, 07:45 PM
He is a great player, but shouldnt be the first name mentioned in a thread about the MVP or even get serious consideration to be honest.i agree

MikeO
09-23-2006, 11:01 PM

The texas rangers announcers???? Were gonna go to them for credibility on this subject??? If they were any good they wouldn't be "the texas rangers announcers" :sidelol: :sidelol: Get in a major market then we can take them seriously.

And if Grady is in the Top 5 (which I dont think he will) then its at #5. So.......:confused: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

MikeO
09-23-2006, 11:04 PM
I am kinda rootring for Ortiz to win it (seriously, no joke)

Just beacuse I am sick and tired of hearing him and those chowder head fans in Boston cry about this thing. And to hear them go on about it for another 365 days might be too much to take.

Just give the crybaby the award so we can move on already and get everyone to shut up about it.

Ronnie Bass
09-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Arod.

:sidelol:

Sorry man, I couldn't resist.

MikeO
09-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Arod.

:sidelol:

Sorry man, I couldn't resist.

:confused: :confused: :confused: Why is he in this conversation? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Slappy8800
09-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Jeter hands down

unifiedtheory
09-24-2006, 01:49 AM
My homer pick: Frank Thomas (he gets comeback player of the year without a doubt)

Reality: Derek Jeter, Ortiz, Thomas, Morneau and Mauer in that order (Morneau and Mauer will split the Twins vote, hurting both of them).

djfresh47
09-24-2006, 02:43 AM
My homer pick: Frank Thomas (he gets comeback player of the year without a doubt)

Reality: Derek Jeter, Ortiz, Thomas, Morneau and Mauer in that order (Morneau and Mauer will split the Twins vote, hurting both of them).

Jim Thome will get comeback player of the year. I'm a ChiSox fan but regardless of being a homer or not Jermaine Dye is a top 3 MVP player. I think Morneau but Jeter probably will. The White Sox were awful the 2nd half of the year but Dye deserves some credit.

unifiedtheory
09-24-2006, 06:47 AM
Jim Thome will get comeback player of the year. I'm a ChiSox fan but regardless of being a homer or not Jermaine Dye is a top 3 MVP player. I think Morneau but Jeter probably will. The White Sox were awful the 2nd half of the year but Dye deserves some credit.
Well, I'll argue the comeback player of the year award.

Both Thomas and Thome deserve it. They both had equally poor 2005's marred by poor performance and injury. Their numbers are VERY similiar:

Frank Thomas: .272, 38 HR, 107 RBI, .550 SLG., .383 OBP.
Jim Thome: .290, 42 HR, 106 RBI, .607 SLG., .417 OBP.

They could and should in my opinion, split the award.

As far as the MVP goes, unless your numbers are off the chart you have to be on a playoff team to win the MVP. Dye does deserve some top 5 consideration though.

The thing with the MVP that is kind of bugging me is how little respect Frank Thomas is getting. Look at the guys in the lineup surrounding him. Eric Chavez has been hurt and not hitting well the 2nd half, Milton Bradley was brutal in August, Swisher has been in the 7 hole for most of the 2nd half and Jay Paton doesn't scare anyone. Frank has been the A's offense since the all star break and they've been light's out since the break.

Morneau has been very good, don't get me wrong but he's got protection (Mauer, Hunter has been great in the 2nd half and Cuddyer). Jeter is in a loaded lineup.

I'm not saying Thomas deserves the MVP. I don't think a DH should ever win it unless they put up numbers that are substantially better then rivals AND his team is a playoff team. Using that criteria, Frank has no hope because his numbers, while good, are not world beating. I'd just like to hear his name in the discussion.

Jeter will win it.

WarriorWelker83
09-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Derek Jeter......

GreenMonster
09-24-2006, 12:01 PM
I am kinda rootring for Ortiz to win it (seriously, no joke)

Just beacuse I am sick and tired of hearing him and those chowder head fans in Boston cry about this thing. And to hear them go on about it for another 365 days might be too much to take.

Just give the crybaby the award so we can move on already and get everyone to shut up about it.

Seems the only one crying right now is you.. You bring Boston into everything.. (2nd City?)

djfresh47
09-24-2006, 12:04 PM
well this is a question alot of people are going to have a different view on. for me it comes down to a couple players. of course im going to say give it to my fav player Grady Sizemore, even thou he is on a losing team. just look at his numbers....he is #1 in the majors in extra base hits, #1 in the majors also in runs scored and doubles. #2 in the AL in triples....and also made some history this year becoming only the 4th player in major league history to have 25 hrs, 50 doubles and 10 triples...and you add in 20 plus steals and you have the complete player. but beside being a homer, if i had to give it to someone other then Grady, my vote would go to Justin Morneau of the Twins. i dont think Ortiz should get it cause for one hes a DH and doesnt play the feild, also he isnt the greatest avg hitter. so all in all Grady #1....but if it goes to a player on a winning team, it goes to Morneau. thoughts??

I don't think Grady Sizemore should finish in the top 5 in MVP voting from players in his own division. Mauer/Santana/Morneau/Dye/Thome should finish ahead of him. Grady Sizemore is a good player but he's not even close to being in the converstation for MVP. Playing on one of the most dissapointing teams in baseball does not help either.

UCFinfan86
09-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Seems the only one crying right now is you.. You bring Boston into everything.. (2nd City?)

Green didn't you know your not allowed to do that? only mikeo can use that 2nd city mentality saying.

marke27
09-25-2006, 02:05 AM
Well, I'll argue the comeback player of the year award.

Both Thomas and Thome deserve it. They both had equally poor 2005's marred by poor performance and injury. Their numbers are VERY similiar:

Frank Thomas: .272, 38 HR, 107 RBI, .550 SLG., .383 OBP.
Jim Thome: .290, 42 HR, 106 RBI, .607 SLG., .417 OBP.

They could and should in my opinion, split the award.

As far as the MVP goes, unless your numbers are off the chart you have to be on a playoff team to win the MVP. Dye does deserve some top 5 consideration though.

The thing with the MVP that is kind of bugging me is how little respect Frank Thomas is getting. Look at the guys in the lineup surrounding him. Eric Chavez has been hurt and not hitting well the 2nd half, Milton Bradley was brutal in August, Swisher has been in the 7 hole for most of the 2nd half and Jay Paton doesn't scare anyone. Frank has been the A's offense since the all star break and they've been light's out since the break.

Morneau has been very good, don't get me wrong but he's got protection (Mauer, Hunter has been great in the 2nd half and Cuddyer). Jeter is in a loaded lineup.

I'm not saying Thomas deserves the MVP. I don't think a DH should ever win it unless they put up numbers that are substantially better then rivals AND his team is a playoff team. Using that criteria, Frank has no hope because his numbers, while good, are not world beating. I'd just like to hear his name in the discussion.

Jeter will win it.

wait wait hold on...morneau has protection? to start the year off i believe he was batting like 6th or 7th....now he bats 5th. i wouldnt say he has protection when mouer and cudder bat in front of him and hunter is not much of protection. hands down i think mourneau should get this award.

UCFinfan86
09-25-2006, 07:17 AM
wait wait hold on...morneau has protection? to start the year off i believe he was batting like 6th or 7th....now he bats 5th. i wouldnt say he has protection when mouer and cudder bat in front of him and hunter is not much of protection. hands down i think mourneau should get this award.

I am not going to say he morneau should win it, but he proably won't just because he plays in minnesota and not Chicago, NY, Bos, etc.

Motion
09-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Jeter

dob72
09-25-2006, 09:01 AM
the mvp ranking right now should be

Ortiz>Morneau>Dye>Vlad>Thome>Hafner>Thomas>Mauer>Jeter

UCFinfan86
09-25-2006, 09:36 AM

get ready to be flamed

Motion
09-25-2006, 09:46 AM
get ready to be flamed

Why? I think its obvious most are biased on this topic. None more than the Payroll Yankee haters.

FinsNYanksFan13
09-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Jeter's going to win the award. For guys like Morneau, Mauer, Ortiz, or Dye to win the award they would have had to do something special the last week of the season to win it and get their team to the playoffs. Since we have a week left in the season and the playoff teams are basically set, no one will have a chance to steal it from Jeter!

UCFinfan86
09-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Why? I think its obvious most are biased on this topic. None more than the Payroll Yankee haters.

It works both ways. Most if not all yankee fans think jeter should win it, and most if not all other teams fans think someone else should win it.

Motion
09-25-2006, 11:46 AM
It works both ways. Most if not all yankee fans think jeter should win it, and most if not all other teams fans think someone else should win it.

Hence the word "most".

UCFinfan86
09-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Hence the word "most".

I know we both used the word most, i just took your post as saying people were only not saying jeter because they are biased against jeter, if you were too including both sides were biased then my bad, i took it wrong

Motion
09-25-2006, 01:09 PM
I know we both used the word most, i just took your post as saying people were only not saying jeter because they are biased against jeter, if you were too including both sides were biased then my bad, i took it wrong

Its all good :)

djfresh47
09-25-2006, 09:44 PM

When was the last time Hafner even played? He's been out for a few weeks now. I think Dye and Ortiz should get consideration but 5 of your top 6 aren't going to the playoffs. Wheres Johan on the list? Easily should be above Hafner/Thome/Vlad. I'm not a Yankees fan but putting Jeter behind 3 Dh's and 5 guys who aren't going to the playoffs seems to be a stretch.

Shula Come Back!
09-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Jeter

dob72
09-25-2006, 10:41 PM
When was the last time Hafner even played?
got me but he's still has more production than jeter

Wheres Johan on the list? Easily should be above Hafner/Thome/Vlad. I'm not a Yankees fan but putting Jeter behind 3 Dh's and 5 guys who aren't going to the playoffs seems to be a stretch. i don't think a pitcher should get it they have there own award

and all those guys have more production than jeter i don't see how being on a playoff team matters when they give the mvp's to guys on last place teams

without being biasied this how the mvp rankings should be

jeters not even the mvp of his team mo is(well steinbreners wallat is)look at his lineup he's the guy pitchers want to face two guys on his team have more rbi's(maybe 3 not sure about jorge) and another guy on his team has more runs scored and atleast 5 guys on his team have more home runs yeah he's really the mvp LMFAO

it would be a joke to give it to him but thats what the yankees do best turn baseball into a joke

also cano has now moved adhead of him for the batting title

lol so the mvp is a guy who dosen't even lead his team in avg rbi's hr's or run scored yeah ok

DonShula84
09-26-2006, 12:17 AM

Finally Vlads name comes up! He shouldnt win or get a ton of consideration because the Angels, baring a miracle, wont make the playoffs. If that miracle happens though he has to be considered.

.326/32/115 w/ 15 steals is pretty nice numbers

MikeO
09-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Some of you people are CLUELESS when it comes to baseball

Hafner has been out for a month +. To even mention him in MVP is laughable.

Vlad's numbers aren't anything special and he sure as heck didn't carry his team anywhere.

And I won't even disucss the fool who has Jeter listed as 8th or 9th in the MVP race. Please, this is why SOME people have no credibility around here and are laughed at by the staff behind their backs!! Seriously. Take a plane ride back to reality and talk sports. Don't be the class clown

DonShula84
09-26-2006, 02:19 AM
Some of you people are CLUELESS when it comes to baseball

Hafner has been out for a month +. To even mention him in MVP is laughable.

Vlad's numbers aren't anything special and he sure as heck didn't carry his team anywhere.

And I won't even disucss the fool who has Jeter listed as 8th or 9th in the MVP race. Please, this is why SOME people have no credibility around here and are laughed at by the staff behind their backs!! Seriously. Take a plane ride back to reality and talk sports. Don't be the class clown

Nice that the way cool staff laughs at people behind their backs. What is this high school? The site is nothing with out the people coming here, you shouldnt laugh at them behind their backs because with out them your little site is nothing.

Also Vlads #s arent that far off from Morneau. You should read an entire post before you laugh because you just look foolish. I said only if the Angels have a miracle and make the playoffs should Vlad be considered seriously. And even then, I didnt say he should win it.

UCFinfan86
09-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Nice that the way cool staff laughs at people behind their backs. What is this high school? The site is nothing with out the people coming here, you shouldnt laugh at them behind their backs because with out them your little site is nothing.

Also Vlads #s arent that far off from Morneau. You should read an entire post before you laugh because you just look foolish. I said only if the Angels have a miracle and make the playoffs should Vlad be considered seriously. And even then, I didnt say he should win it.

Mikeo just likes to rub it in that he's staff, i guess it makes him feel like hes special or powerful.

Motion
09-26-2006, 08:59 AM

:chuckle:

UCFinfan86
09-26-2006, 10:05 AM
:chuckle:

yuh i will agree, I don't know if jeter should get the MVP, but there is no way hes that low on the list, id say the lowest jeter should be is 3-4th, He could be first maybe, i still haven't decided, but no way is he 8th.

djfresh47
09-26-2006, 11:30 PM
got me but he's still has more production than jeter

i don't think a pitcher should get it they have there own award

and all those guys have more production than jeter i don't see how being on a playoff team matters when they give the mvp's to guys on last place teams

jeters not even the mvp of his team mo is(well steinbreners wallat is)look at his lineup he's the guy pitchers want to face two guys on his team have more rbi's(maybe 3 not sure about jorge) and another guy on his team has more runs scored and atleast 5 guys on his team have more home runs yeah he's really the mvp LMFAO

it would be a joke to give it to him but thats what the yankees do best turn baseball into a joke

also cano has now moved adhead of him for the batting title

lol so the mvp is a guy who dosen't even lead his team in avg rbi's hr's or run scored yeah ok

If we're not going to consider pitchers then take those DH's out of their hitters have an award called the silver slugger. Derek Jeter is the Yankees MVP and I think most people would agree with that. People like to hate the Yankees and it makes them very bias but Jeter is going to finish top 3 at the least. The Yankees have turned baseball into a joke by not winning a world series in 5 years what a tragedy.

Ray Finkle
09-26-2006, 11:55 PM
If we're not going to consider pitchers then take those DH's out of their hitters have an award called the silver slugger. Derek Jeter is the Yankees MVP and I think most people would agree with that. People like to hate the Yankees and it makes them very bias but Jeter is going to finish top 3 at the least. The Yankees have turned baseball into a joke by not winning a world series in 5 years what a tragedy.

I understand what you're saying but at least DHs play everyday (or should I say bat every day) while starters only play 30 to 35 games a year.

I think anyone who steps on the field can get the MVP award. Pitcher, DH, CF, RF, 1st basemen, SS whoever.

dob72
09-27-2006, 12:11 AM
If we're not going to consider pitchers then take those DH's out of their hitters have an award called the silver slugger
i don't think being a DH should take anything away from them

they play a full time postion if its not a real position why even have it in basball

since it is in baseball i'll keep considering it a real postion

Derek Jeter is the Yankees MVP and I think most people would agree with that.

like i said if jeter wins the mvp it would be a joke but once again thats what the yankees do best

djfresh47
09-27-2006, 12:19 AM
I understand what you're saying but at least DHs play everyday (or should I say bat every day) while starters only play 30 to 35 games a year.

I think anyone who steps on the field can get the MVP award. Pitcher, DH, CF, RF, 1st basemen, SS whoever.

It would take alot for me to put a DH 1st if the Red Sox made the playoffs Ortiz would probably win it or atleast finish top 3. Johan has been as much of a reason for the Twins being one of the best teams the 2nd half of the year. Putting a guy out there every 5th day and saving the Twins bullpen and being basically an automatic win has to get MVP consideration. When Liriano went down I think everybody myself included believed the Twins would collapse, then Radke went down and I thought it was a no-brainer. Right now I think Morneau is MVP and i'd slot Jeter 2nd but I think Santana could easily be 3rd, although I think Dye goes there and Ortiz 4th followed by Johan.