PDA

View Full Version : O-Line and Outside LB

Alex44
09-23-2006, 03:54 PM
I watch college football, but I dont call myself an expert on the players by any means, could anyone give me a short (or long) list of the top guys to be looking at these positions so I can try and follow them as much as possible and get a feel for what kind of players they are? I think it will make me all that much more ready for draft day when it rolls around :yes:

TractorTraylor
09-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Give this site a try... its good for general info and rankings, etc. Hope it helps.
www.nfldraftcountdown.com

WelcomeBack
09-23-2006, 04:03 PM
For offensive line, I think some people to look at would be Joe Thomas from Wisconsin and Levi Brown from Penn State at OT, Justin Blalock from Texas at OG, and Kyle Young from Fresno St. at C.

For OLB, I think the main person is Paul Posluszny from Penn St., but I don't know if he makes a good 3-4 OLB. LaMarr Woodley of Michigan seems like he'd be a great choice for a hybrid LB/DE.

Rocky Raccoon
09-23-2006, 04:04 PM
the one kid from Florida State, Buster Davis is a hell of a linebacker...I'm not sure if he is an OLB or not, but he has a special talent.

Paul Posluszny from Penn State is one player to watch as well as Rufus Alexander of Oklahoma. Both linebackers

SR 7
09-23-2006, 04:06 PM
im more excited bout the LB's and S's of this years class. I really like the talent pool to be honset.

PJack
09-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Check out this site. My personal favorite. Gives you ton of info on prospects and also mock drafts with links to other sites.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/

SR 7
09-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Check out this site. My personal favorite. Gives you ton of info on prospects and also mock drafts with links to other sites.

yup. same here

ItsOurTime32
09-23-2006, 05:40 PM
would trading back be a possibility and getting two good lineman within the first/second round depending on how high our pick is

Alex44
09-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Give this site a try... its good for general info and rankings, etc. Hope it helps.
www.nfldraftcountdown.com (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com)

Thanks.

And to everyone else to :yes:

Joneal7
09-23-2006, 06:12 PM
i like Lemar Woodley from Michigan as a 3-4 outside backer...and also his opposite side linebacker Prescott Burgess..hes looking like a beast also..but i think hes a junior so i doubt he comes out

TractorTraylor
09-23-2006, 06:20 PM

Yea, I couldnt remember that one at the time.. also a solid site.

jnobes7
09-23-2006, 08:46 PM
um, its week three of the nfl season, leave that homework for februrary, march, and april, considering you dont even know where we will be drafting.

TractorTraylor
09-23-2006, 08:50 PM
um, its week three of the nfl season, leave that homework for februrary, march, and april, considering you dont even know where we will be drafting.
Hey, even the fans are becoming like Saban... looking to prepare for anything so we are ready to rock come April. Nothing wrong with draft chat, it allows us to talk about both college and pro football... the more football the better!

SR 7
09-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Hey, even the fans are becoming like Saban... looking to prepare for anything so we are ready to rock come April. Nothing wrong with draft chat, it allows us to talk about both college and pro football... the more football the better!

yuppp

Alex44
09-23-2006, 09:42 PM

They play the seasons at the same time. Im not trying to predict who and where we will draft, but when we take a guy I want to have my own opinion other than what Ive read other people say is all

King Felix
09-23-2006, 10:07 PM
i dunno if pat willis is an OLB but man that dude is a beast

WelcomeBack
09-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Unfortunately, Pat Willis and Buster Davis are both interior Linebackers. Don't know if they'd work for us though. I like Woodley though, very solid hybrid.

Here's his bio.
http://www.mgoblue.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=2148&section_id=258&top=2&level=3&season=983

TractorTraylor
09-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Honestly, Miami really needs to check out ILBs now too... ZT is getting up there in age and there is no depth behind him unless you bring Crowder back to MLB. Pope is decent but cant seem to get a whole lot of playing time. A guy who Ive liked for a few years now is HB Blades from Pitt, everytime I watch him Im impressed with his range. Recently, I agree, Buster Davis has been a beast and reminds me of Ernie Sims..

WelcomeBack
09-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Honestly, Miami really needs to check out ILBs now too... ZT is getting up there in age and there is no depth behind him unless you bring Crowder back to MLB. Pope is decent but cant seem to get a whole lot of playing time. A guy who Ive liked for a few years now is HB Blades from Pitt, everytime I watch him Im impressed with his range. Recently, I agree, Buster Davis has been a beast and reminds me of Ernie Sims..

I know Zach isn't going to be there forever, however, he should be there next year. Right now, we need to get a solid OLB to take over. Spragan and Newman won't cut it.

I would also like to look secondary.

Mike13
09-24-2006, 01:05 AM

:yes: Blades is going to be a stud.

Caps
09-24-2006, 10:20 AM

I think the coaching staff sees Crowder as an ILB, and the only reason he's playing on the outside is because he's too good not to have somewhere on the field. So I think DE/OLB hybrids are the way to go, this year at least.

TractorTraylor
09-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Im sure Saban will do a BPA situation with ILB and OLB since he has the flexibility with Crowder. If he feels he is getting a far better player at MLB then I bet he keeps Crowder outside and vice versa..

Stitches
09-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Posluzny is playing MLB this year, but he is more like an OLB. I'd be happy with any of the 3 PSU linebackers though, but I doubt Conner declares early. And Shaw probably isn't more than a 2nd rounder.

King Felix
09-24-2006, 12:44 PM
theres a dude on idaho who is a beast..........averaging like 13 tackles a game..........and against only 1 WAC team i think.......is idaho state a wac team?

King Felix
09-24-2006, 12:48 PM
David Vobora he is a junior at idaho....im not sure if he is a olb......he has 30 tackles 22 assists and 13 average

King Felix
09-24-2006, 12:55 PM
stats against michigan state
7 solo tackles
9 assisted
1 tackle for loss/5 yards

stats agaisnt washington state
7 solo tackles
7 assisted
1 forced fumble

stats against idaho state
9 solo tackles
1 assisted
1 tackle for loss/3 yards

stats against oregon state
7 solo
5 assisted
2 tackles for loss/8 yards

^^^pretty damn good

King Felix
09-24-2006, 12:56 PM
yeah he is an ilb............could be a steal later in rounds

Alex44
09-24-2006, 01:13 PM
yeah he is an ilb............could be a steal later in rounds

ILB could be a need to if we want to keep Crowder on the outside, but I think of Crowder as more of an inside guy

Disgustipate
09-26-2006, 09:13 AM
In terms of linebackers, Miami is probabaly going to be looking at players who fill two specific roles at this point.

Strongside OLB- Someone 6'3" 235+ pounds, who can rush the passer when needed but isnt a liability in coverage. I think it's doubtful Miami drafts a converted DE to fill this role.

2-down run stuffing ILB- Someone 6'0" 245+ pounds, and strong at the point of attack. If Zach Thomas retires this season, Crowder is going to move over and we'll need a Jeremiah Trotter type to blitz, shoot gaps, and tangle with the Guard on every play.

I think it's doubtful Miami gets another "smaller" linebacker type in the mold of Zach Thomas.

I'm not so sure Miami would want to draft a DE/OLB, especially not high. Short-term, while Jason Taylor is around, more likely then not this player would be relegated to replacing David Bowens.

ILB could be a need to if we want to keep Crowder on the outside, but I think of Crowder as more of an inside guy

Crowder is an OLB in name only. If Jason Taylor has his hand down, Crowder is considering an OLB despite lining up in the exact same spot he would in a 3-4.