PDA

View Full Version : Brian Leonard with our 1st rounder?

Miamifin23
09-29-2006, 08:18 PM
I know this sounds a bit odd, but would you consider taking the FB from Rutgers with our 1st round pick? (If say we were picking 22-32, or something like that). He is being compared to Mike Alstott, he's a very good blocker and he can run the ball very well. With our situation of having no spell for Brown, Leonard has the ability to spell Brown on short 3rd down plays, or something like that. I know it's early, and it would be very hard to pick a FB in the 1st round, but it's very important to have a good lead FB for a running back. If not 1st round, a 2nd on a kid like this would be a steal in my opinion.

Alex44
09-29-2006, 08:19 PM
I dont think you should ever use a first rounder on a fullback, its just a time when you can get a serious playmaker and I dont like the idea of wasting that when there are plenty of tough guys (maybe a little less skilled running wise) that you can ge to do the same job

zackmandude63
09-29-2006, 08:27 PM
or how about an offensive lineman?

Tropical Swarm
09-29-2006, 08:31 PM
or how about a qb

The Rev
09-29-2006, 08:33 PM
How 'bout we move this thread to the draft forum. :wink:

DUB
09-29-2006, 08:42 PM
I like Barnes more than I like Spragan or Tillman or most of our Oline.

FinzCrazy
09-29-2006, 08:43 PM
I'd like to take him if we have the 32nd pick in the first round...:dolphins:

FinFan_Est.1984
09-29-2006, 08:54 PM
How about some offensive line man? Here you go.........
http://www.draftclass.com/articles/index.php?id=14

PhinFan0202
09-29-2006, 09:00 PM
OL r outside linebacker would be a good pick in the first. If we get a pick and top flight QB is available we might just have to take him.

NJFINSFAN1
09-29-2006, 09:09 PM
I dont think you should ever use a first rounder on a fullback, its just a time when you can get a serious playmaker and I dont like the idea of wasting that when there are plenty of tough guys (maybe a little less skilled running wise) that you can ge to do the same job

He's not your usual fullback

He does everything, and everything very well.

In fact an NFL guy on TV just said he would use a first round pick on him.

Irish Phin Fan
09-29-2006, 09:18 PM
I must have missed it? Is the season over already??

destiny1
09-29-2006, 09:24 PM
:eek: Trade down and pick the top 2 nasty ugly hairy smelly guards on the board!!!! Oh hell yeah.........:tantrum:

Dolfan_Noles
09-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Leonard is a stud. He is a better, faster version of Chris Cooley. He has his own billboard in NYC...I know that doesn't mean a lot (see the Whizzinator), but he's going to be a force in the NFL...that said, first round might be a stretch.

TimeGap
09-29-2006, 10:01 PM
I'll love Brian as a player, but this team needs some uglys up front.

Dolfan1034
09-29-2006, 10:36 PM
or how about a qb

lol I'm down with that!

miami234ever
09-29-2006, 10:54 PM
If I had to chose today.....I would draft like this: (assuming we have 7 picks)

1. Safety (Laron Landry=LSU connection with Saban which means strong possibility. Him and Allen:eek: )
2. Gaurd
3. Outside Linebacker
4. Middle Linebacker
5. Defensive End
6. Cornerback (I feel confident with Daniels, Allen, Goodman, and Poole if healthy. I hope we get poole back! So this is basically if we get Poole back. If not, probably a fourth on a corner.)
7. O-Line

And there's me getting ahead of myself. I think we're fine with Barnes at fullback. I just see too many other concerns before fullback.

Majpain
09-29-2006, 11:26 PM
How about our future MLB? OR secondary help.

Alex44
09-30-2006, 12:00 AM
How about our future MLB? OR secondary help.

Crowder will be the MLB in 4-3 sets in the future, he isnt a OLB at all really, he doesnt have that skill set or mentality

But the O-Line should come before anything else IMO

305TillIDie
09-30-2006, 12:03 AM
um..we dont need a Fullback or Running back or whatever he is

King Felix
09-30-2006, 12:40 AM
right now we need

db's
olb's
ol's

in no order.....we will figure out which we need most through the rest of the season

Hasane
09-30-2006, 01:53 AM
i go to rutgers, so i like him a lot and i watch him play live. but he's definitey not worth a 1 or 2nd round pick. He's an extraordinary talent. but he's too slow to be a running back and you just don't draft fullbacks that high up in the draft.

KTOWNFINFAN
09-30-2006, 08:14 AM
I know this sounds a bit odd, but would you consider taking the FB from Rutgers with our 1st round pick? (If say we were picking 22-32, or something like that). He is being compared to Mike Alstott, he's a very good blocker and he can run the ball very well. With our situation of having no spell for Brown, Leonard has the ability to spell Brown on short 3rd down plays, or something like that. I know it's early, and it would be very hard to pick a FB in the 1st round, but it's very important to have a good lead FB for a running back. If not 1st round, a 2nd on a kid like this would be a steal in my opinion.

FB is a dying position in the NFL these days. Some teams find it easier to go with an extra TE and not even carry a FB. With all the 3 and 4 wide sets the FB is the odd man out, so there is no way a FB gets drafted in the 1st. I don't care if it is Larry Csonka, no team will pick him because other teams knows that he will still be there in the 3rd or 4th.
Teams are looking for ways to create mismatches and with the speed of the LBs you are not gonna get a FB that LBs can't cover. So NO, NO way NO how. Barns is cheap and although he has missed a block or two, he is good enough that FB is not in the top 5 in positions needed to address. IMO

NorFlaFin
09-30-2006, 08:29 AM
I'll take an LT please. Joe Thomas (Wisc) or if he declares Sam Baker (USC).

Fullbacks? The kid playing fullback for Auburn is an intriguing prospect I believe hes a senior.

larfo2224
09-30-2006, 12:30 PM
:eek: Trade down and pick the top 2 nasty ugly hairy smelly guards on the board!!!! Oh hell yeah.........:tantrum:

Beautiful. I would love that choice.

Daunt8TDChris84
09-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Taking a Fb so ealry is not acceptable,except your talking a chris cooley like hands and lorenzo neal blocking, ........no.

he can be a 3rd round pick for us but 1r and 2r have way more valuable players than a fb.

ChambersWI
09-30-2006, 07:17 PM
my top 5 right now for us...

1.LaRon Landry- I think Allen will be fine, but I don't trus Tillman as our other safety.

2.Gaines Adams-Roth is our only DE not over 30.

3.Patrick Willis- LB that can play all 3 positions. Gives us more youth

4.Brandon Merriweather- see Landry

5.Kyle Young- A Center that can also play Guard.

Other guys I'd like, but probably won't be available Paul Pozlusney, HB Blades, and Justin Blaylock

Disgustipate
09-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Ehh...no.

Even if Leonard proves to be a 1st round caliber player, we dont have any need for him. It's not worth spending a 1st rounder on another runningback right now. We just drafted Ronnie Brown, who is about as big as Leonard, and has proven that he can be a good reciever and blocker in the NFL, with much better running ability.

Miami is in need of a non-linemen blocker, and Leonard aint it. Miami needs a concussion-dealing lead blocker or a 6th O-linemen #2 TE.

dlockz
10-01-2006, 01:05 AM

Why are they comparing him to Alstott if he is a good blocker, Alstott is a medoicre blocker.

dlockz
10-01-2006, 01:07 AM
If I had to chose today.....I would draft like this: (assuming we have 7 picks)

1. Safety (Laron Landry=LSU connection with Saban which means strong possibility. Him and Allen:eek: )
2. Gaurd
3. Outside Linebacker
4. Middle Linebacker
5. Defensive End
6. Cornerback (I feel confident with Daniels, Allen, Goodman, and Poole if healthy. I hope we get poole back! So this is basically if we get Poole back. If not, probably a fourth on a corner.)
7. O-Line

And there's me getting ahead of myself. I think we're fine with Barnes at fullback. I just see too many other concerns before fullback.

successful teams do not draft safeties back to back years in the first round.

Stitches
10-01-2006, 02:10 AM
successful teams do not draft safeties back to back years in the first round.

If Landry was BPA at our pick, I would have no problem taking him. I would like to see OLB or OL first, but Landry has all the tools to be a hell of a player.