PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new computer soon...

NewEra8
10-02-2006, 02:04 PM
What's the 'must have' these days... gfx cards and such...

NewEra8
10-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Is there much difference in Windows XP and the x64 edition?

Troysif
10-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Windows Vista!!

Phinz420
10-02-2006, 03:27 PM
What's the 'must have' these days... gfx cards and such...

I would go with a Dual Core CPU for starters. I have the AMD 4200+ X2, and it is blazing compared to previous processors I owned. They arent too pricey at all now days either.

For a graphics card, it really depends on how much cash your willing to drop. There are alot of good cards out now from both ATI & Nvidia, catering to any needs for GPUs. If you are looking for guidelines, make sure you get a card with decent "Pixel Pipelines" and memory. "Decent" would relate to how much your willing to spend ofcoarse, but you can get a sick Nividia 7950 GT(512MB Ram, 24 Pipelines) for $300. As of right now, no games can truly take advantage of the 512MB VRAM unless you are running at a widescreen resolution - but in the near future I see alot of games that definatly seem to be jumping on the bandwagon(Alan Wake (http://www.alanwake.com/)).

Do not short yourself on the Motherboard. If you plan on running 64 Bit Windows at maximum effectiveness you will want a 64 bit motherboard(ASUS K8N-SLI Deluxe is an example of a 64 bit Mobo).

I recomend going with a good gaming LCD for your monitor, there is a wide range of 19" LCDs with low response time for around $200 or less, but if you plan on buying a Widescreen expect to drop a few more bucks for a nice one.

About Windows x64, it is useless. Windows is preparing a solid 64 bit Windows Vista which will be the first true platform worth upgrading to with 64 bit users. It will offer specific benefits for DirectX10, but the people who will get the most out of DirectX10 will be those who own a graphics card that is released after DirectX10(released with Vista).

I recomend taking your time, a Desktop is an expensive venture no matter how you cut it. It is worth doing as much research as possible for what you plan on purchasing. Read customer reviews on different parts over at NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com) , they have some great(nearly unbeatable) prices there as well.

Bruzer
10-02-2006, 05:37 PM
I would wait on windows vista to get out as directx 10 will only be available with vista and many next gen pc games only support directx 10 and vista. That means you will need a directx 10 graphics card which are not out yet.

I am planning a new pc my self my goal is to spend about 2500$

Phinz420
10-02-2006, 06:35 PM
I would wait on windows vista to get out as directx 10 will only be available with vista and many next gen pc games only support directx 10 and vista. That means you will need a directx 10 graphics card which are not out yet.

I am planning a new pc my self my goal is to spend about 2500$

Next Gen games will support DX9 cards. There will also be enhancments made for DX9. The reality is that if you want to wait on a DX10 card, and you buy a DX10 card when it first releases, chances are it will not even be nearly as optimized as compared to one being released months after the release.

TheMageGandalf
10-04-2006, 01:38 PM
It all depends on what you want to spend, but I wouldnt recommend to go for anything less than an AMD FX-60 or one of the newer Intel Extreme Editions.

After that, one of the 7900 or 7950's gfx cards should be fine, at least 1 gig of memory, preferrably 2 gigs, although not many programs use the extra RAM right now.

A 500 watt or more power supply and a decent 64 bit or compatible motherboard.

Actually, the question is are you building it yourself or going with a company like Dell or Gateway?

Majpain
10-04-2006, 01:46 PM
I reccomend waiting till Vista comes out.

Daunt8TDChris84
10-08-2006, 06:11 AM
what the hell is vista?

and how much difference in there in response time 12 & 8 & 5?

also i think u should get the alienware 7500 its 1900 dollars.

but i can afford it :(

Bruzer
10-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Vista is the new windows and many next gen games require you have vista.

Daunt8TDChris84
10-08-2006, 06:23 PM
wow, so xp is a thing of the past? nice lol

ok what games use vista? and do new pc's bring vista or xp?

cause i think most still carry xp

Majpain
10-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Well Vista is coming out with lots of launch games. One being a game that can be played on XP or Vista. That game is Hell Gate London. Its going to be kick ***!

Bruzer
10-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Games I know off top of my head that are vista only are. Alan Wake, Crysis and thats all I know off top of my head many more probably but you would have t olook it up.

TheMageGandalf
10-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Games I know off top of my head that are vista only are. Alan Wake, Crysis and thats all I know off top of my head many more probably but you would have t olook it up.

I think its ridiculous for them to make them Vista only, thats got to be a mistake.

Any game maker would know that the public wouldnt be jumping all over a new OS so soon after launch so they'd be damaging their profits from the game big time.

Unless they release the games at least a year after the new OS launch so that a good base has been established, they need to make the games XP compatible.

EDIT: Or have an XP version available.