PDA

View Full Version : COMMENTARY: MLB Season Awards | Predictions

ArticleNinja
10-03-2006, 09:15 AM
A 2-for-1...

Perry's Regular Season Awards

http://www.finheaven.com/Commentary/Tropical_Flash/MLB_Season_Review_-_Awards_200610013487/

Postseason and Predictions

http://www.finheaven.com/Commentary/Tropical_Flash/MLB_Season_Review_-_Predictions_200610023488/

MikeO
10-03-2006, 11:32 AM
I can't see Minnesota going that far.

After Santana who the hell is gonna pitch????? Carlos Silva.......(Im bitting my fingernails). They have NO PITCHING DEPTH AT ALL!!

MikeO
10-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Hoffman as your CY YOUNG???????

the guy gave up 2 home runs on the final day and almost cost SD the NL West. In every big spot this guy stinks the place up. He's awful. No way he wins the Cy Young.

Carlos Zambrano is the name you forgot. I don't know who will win the NL Cy Young, I know HOFFMAN won't though!!!!!! Or come close!!!!!!!

MikeO
10-03-2006, 12:01 PM
and how is Jonathen Palpebon NOT mentioned in the AL ROOKIE of the year talk.

This is the worst column ever

RWhitney014
10-03-2006, 12:02 PM

the guy gave up 2 home runs on the final day and almost cost SD the NL West. In every big spot this guy stinks the place up. He's awful. No way he wins the Cy Young.

Carlos Zambrano is the name you forgot. I don't know who will win the NL Cy Young, I know HOFFMAN won't though!!!!!! Or come close!!!!!!!

It's not a prediction on who will win. It's who I think should win, and in a year where no one deserves it, I'm picking the guy who set an all-time major league record in the only statistical category that matters for his job.

Eop05
10-03-2006, 12:54 PM

Isn't Hoffman also the reason why the AL has home field advantage in the Series too?

MikeO
10-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Isn't Hoffman also the reason why the AL has home field advantage in the Series too?

yeah but that doesn't count. But it does effect the "perception" of voters even though its not supposed to. Hoffman in a big spot is awful. He won't finish Top 3 in the CY YOUNG voting, maybe not even Top 5. Not to mention his ERA was 2.14. The article has his ERA incorrect.

If not for Lidge, Hoffman would be the biggest joke in the NL when it comes to closers.

That is why I laugh at Lidge being traded to an American League team this offseason. He can't close games in the weak hitting National Legaue, what the hell is he going to do in the AL???? Just get bombed every night??? Please

RWhitney014
10-03-2006, 05:22 PM
yeah but that doesn't count. But it does effect the "perception" of voters even though its not supposed to. Hoffman in a big spot is awful. He won't finish Top 3 in the CY YOUNG voting, maybe not even Top 5. Not to mention his ERA was 2.14. The article has his ERA incorrect.

If not for Lidge, Hoffman would be the biggest joke in the NL when it comes to closers.

That is why I laugh at Lidge being traded to an American League team this offseason. He can't close games in the weak hitting National Legaue, what the hell is he going to do in the AL???? Just get bombed every night??? Please
I culled the ERA right off of ESPN, so blame them. And considering these are all entirely opinion, I don't think it's appropriate for you to trash the thread by saying it's the "worst column ever". I don't do it to your threads when your gambling picks lose some poor gullible reader a thousand bucks. I'd appreciate it if you returned the favor.

Mystery solved on the ERA. I wrote the article during the day and updated all the stats later. I missed that one and his bad day made his ERA jump. That's my bad and I apologize.

AggieFin21
10-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Hey Ninja, so the Twins just lost AT HOME with SANTANA on the mount. Still think they're making a run at the Series? Heh, I think not....

djfresh47
10-03-2006, 05:30 PM
The Tigers made the playoffs so i'll give Leyland credit but I think AL Manager of the Year should be Gardenhire. Hoffman isn't a bad choice for Cy Young 46/51 isn't bad but I think Oswalt should get it, although I don't think he will.

RWhitney014
10-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Hey Ninja, so the Twins just lost AT HOME with SANTANA on the mount. Still think they're making a run at the Series? Heh, I think not....

Dude, ArticleNinja is essentially a bot the mods use to post articles.

And I am very impressed by the A's beating Santana at home. That hasn't happened in a long, long time, but the A's have no track record of any postseason success. Wait until they win three games before crowning them. I stand by my pick of the Twins. They are the most complete team in the playoffs.

Ray Finkle
10-03-2006, 05:41 PM
As always I enjoyed the two articles. However I do think you dropped the ball in the AL ROY when you didn't name Papelbon or Weaver but named Melky and Johimja. In my opinion the award is between Paps and Verlander with Verlander probably winning because he won 17 games, good ERA and stayed somewhat healthy the whole year.

I think everyone is forgetting Roy Oswalt for NL Cy Young. He only has 15 games but his ERA is impressive and because of him the Astros pushed towards the playoffs in the last 2 weeks. Poor run production killed his chances at even 18 games.

RWhitney014
10-03-2006, 05:51 PM
As always I enjoyed the two articles. However I do think you dropped the ball in the AL ROY when you didn't name Papelbon or Weaver but named Melky and Johimja. In my opinion the award is between Paps and Verlander with Verlander probably winning because he won 17 games, good ERA and stayed somewhat healthy the whole year.

I think everyone is forgetting Roy Oswalt for NL Cy Young. He only has 15 games but his ERA is impressive and because of him the Astros pushed towards the playoffs in the last 2 weeks. Poor run production killed his chances at even 18 games.

I was actually just reminded that I picked Oswalt to win the Cy at the beginning of the year, so I won't be upset if it happens.

As far as AL ROY, I was just throwing some names out there, but I don't like giving the award to someone who didn't play out the whole year, which is why Liriano loses to Verlander. By that criteria, Papelbon loses out as well since he missed the most important part of the season, and Weaver just did not do as much with his year as Verlander did. To me, it's Verlander and it's not even a discussion with Liriano getting hurt. But once again, this is opinion, and I'm not trying to convince anyone on it.

djfresh47
10-03-2006, 09:31 PM

I think Oswalt deserves the award but the thing that Webb and Carpenter have working for them is they have more complete games. Nobody really broke away from the pack of very good NL pitchers. In the AL I think Santana and Halladay are heads above everybody else as pitchers right now but in the NL their is a pack of very pitchers who would all be very average AL pitchers.

unifiedtheory
10-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Dude, ArticleNinja is essentially a bot the mods use to post articles.

And I am very impressed by the A's beating Santana at home. That hasn't happened in a long, long time, but the A's have no track record of any postseason success. Wait until they win three games before crowning them. I stand by my pick of the Twins. They are the most complete team in the playoffs.
I'm not saying anything about being up 1 - 0 in the series, it means nothing.

That being said, how is that comment valid? There are only three players on the current roster, Zito, Chavvy and Harden, that were on the team the last time they made the playoffs.

Saying the A's have "no track record of any post season success" because of failures in the past would be like me talking about how they have GREAT post season success because they have 9 World Series titles and 15 pennants.

If this was the same team that lost to the Sox and Yankees after taking 2 - 0 series' leads in the past then you might have a valid point. That is not the case though.

Ray Finkle
10-03-2006, 11:11 PM

That being said, how is that comment valid? There are only three players on the current roster, Zito, Chavvy and Harden, that were on the team the last time they made the playoffs.

Saying the A's have "no track record of any post season success" because of failures in the past would be like me talking about how they have GREAT post season success because they have 9 World Series titles and 15 pennants.

If this was the same team that lost to the Sox and Yankees after taking 2 - 0 series' leads in the past then you might have a valid point. That is not the case though.

I agree I wish people would drop that comment about Oakland.

PHINATIC13
10-03-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't think Weaver will get much consideration for the ROY,but he did do something that hasn't been done(AL) in like 50 or so years and that was win his first 9 starts of his career.I think I remember Hud or Phys (Halo announcers) saying the last to do it was Whitey Ford(in like 54')you guys correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey Uni way for you A's to start the series with the Twinkies,beating Santana at home is one helluva boost to start the post-season.

RWhitney014
10-04-2006, 12:05 AM

A Billy Beane-led club has never won a playoff series. He constructs all his teams in a similar manner. Until one of his teams wins one, it's a valid observation.

But I'm mighty impressed that they beat Santana in the dome. Not too often there.

djfresh47
10-04-2006, 12:47 AM
A Billy Beane-led club has never won a playoff series. He constructs all his teams in a similar manner. Until one of his teams wins one, it's a valid observation.

But I'm mighty impressed that they beat Santana in the dome. Not too often there.

I'm a huge Billy Beane fan and in his defense he builds a team to succeed over 162 games not 5. The goal of most teams is to make the playoffs aside from the Yankees to "give themselves a chance," which Beane has done as a GM. I wonder if Beane had taken the job with Boston offered a few years how that team would be different today.

MikeO
10-04-2006, 01:23 AM
If the A's lose this series to Minnesota........Billy Beane should be FIRED. i mean, you beat Santana Game 1 in Minnesota. The Twinkies have NOTHING ELSE in their rotation.

Oakland can't lose this series. They can't. If they do, fire everyone!!! Cause their all bums who will never get it done

unifiedtheory
10-04-2006, 01:33 AM
I'm a huge Billy Beane fan and in his defense he builds a team to succeed over 162 games not 5. The goal of most teams is to make the playoffs aside from the Yankees to "give themselves a chance," which Beane has done as a GM. I wonder if Beane had taken the job with Boston offered a few years how that team would be different today.
Thank you.

Getting to the playoffs is what it is all about. You can't give yourself a chance to do anything if you are sitting hom in October.

When a team gets to the playoffs with a payroll in the bottom third in all of baseball when the economic system has set them up to fail miserably I think that is quite an accomplishment. I am proud of this ball club.

And before MikeO chimes in with his "2nd city mentality" line, I have ZERO loyalty to the city of Oakland. If the team moved to freaking Mars I'd still be a fan. The FACT is teams that don't spend like wildmen are set up to NOT be playoff teams the way MLB is structured. The fact that the Twins and the A's are competative on a yearly basis is due to great scouting, good budgeting and some luck.

This A's team is built differently then previous A's playoff teams. In previous years it was about on base percentage, not giving up outs and pitching. Those were the ONLY things that mattered. This A's team, while holding to those philosophies is VASTLY superior defensively to any other Billy Beane ball club and has a much better bullpen then any other Billy Beane teams that have been in the playoffs.

Like I said earlier though, winning 1 game means nothing to me. I want this team to go to the ALCS just so this ridiculous "they have never done anything in the playoffs" (which in my opinion STILL has zero merit) is put to rest for good.

unifiedtheory
10-04-2006, 01:40 AM
If the A's lose this series to Minnesota........Billy Beane should be FIRED. i mean, you beat Santana Game 1 in Minnesota. The Twinkies have NOTHING ELSE in their rotation.

Oakland can't lose this series. They can't. If they do, fire everyone!!! Cause their all bums who will never get it done
Hit me with the warning points or whatever, I don't care, THAT is the stupidest thing you have ever said and is one of the most rediculous posts I've ever read on this board.

When your G.M. gets you to the dance on a limited budget, year after year, making the team SLIGHTLY profitable, playing in the worst stadium in baseball you don't fire him under any circumstance.

You can say what you want...I'm not getting into a debate about Billy Beane's ability to be a G.M. in Major League Baseball. Appently you could find someone to do a better job then he does. If the A's fired Billy Beane they would become the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2 years, without the nice ballpark. I'd rather have something to cheer for then be 20 games out of first in June.

Boik14
10-04-2006, 01:51 AM
Hit me with the warning points or whatever, I don't care, THAT is the stupidest thing you have ever said and is one of the most rediculous posts I've ever read on this board.

When your G.M. gets you to the dance on a limited budget, year after year, making the team SLIGHTLY profitable, playing in the worst stadium in baseball you don't fire him under any circumstance.

You can say what you want...I'm not getting into a debate about Billy Beane's ability to be a G.M. in Major League Baseball. Appently you could find someone to do a better job then he does. If the A's fired Billy Beane they would become the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2 years, without the nice ballpark. I'd rather have something to cheer for then be 20 games out of first in June. I wont join you in criticizing Mike O because unless youre a Yank fan you cant relate to a Yankee fans mentality.

I will say I agree 1000% with your observation of Beane. If the Mets didnt get Omar I wanted Depodesta BB's former top guy because what he does works. Ig he had any kind of budget to make a few slight upgrades that team would be sick.

UCFinfan86
10-04-2006, 08:41 AM

Ya because billy beane is out there playing right? :shakeno: Billy assembled the best team possible with his limited resources, not every team can buy allstars and nearly every position. Billy is by far the best GM in baseball

MikeO
10-04-2006, 08:56 AM
to be the best GM in baseball you have to have your team get out of the 1st round of the playoffs at least once!!

Just once, not asking too much!!

unifiedtheory
10-04-2006, 03:00 PM
to be the best GM in baseball you have to have your team get out of the 1st round of the playoffs at least once!!

Just once, not asking too much!!

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Tell me right now what the A's are if they fire Billy Beane.

I'll answer for you. Like I said earlier, they turn into the Pirates in 2 years without the new ballpark.

RWhitney014
10-04-2006, 03:43 PM
I think Beane is a perfectly good GM. His teams compete every year, no doubt about it. I happen to think the Twins are a better team this year, although they're proving me wrong right now. No doubt Beane knows what he's doing, but his teams have never accomplished anything more than what they have already accomplished this year. Obviously, if they win the series, the whole point goes out the window, never to be repeated by me, at least. I'm sure someone next year will still say, "well, they've only won one series." Which is crap.

UCFinfan86
10-04-2006, 03:52 PM
I think Beane is a perfectly good GM. His teams compete every year, no doubt about it. I happen to think the Twins are a better team this year, although they're proving me wrong right now. No doubt Beane knows what he's doing, but his teams have never accomplished anything more than what they have already accomplished this year. Obviously, if they win the series, the whole point goes out the window, never to be repeated by me, at least. I'm sure someone next year will still say, "well, they've only won one series." Which is crap.

Yes but like someone else said, or i read somewhere not on this board i can't recall, the goal of basically every team except Yankees, Redsox, Mets, and a few other select teams is just to make the playoffs and to give yourself a chance. The Yankees, sox, etc. only goal is World Series.

djfresh47
10-05-2006, 12:34 AM

You can say what you want...I'm not getting into a debate about Billy Beane's ability to be a G.M. in Major League Baseball. Appently you could find someone to do a better job then he does. If the A's fired Billy Beane they would become the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2 years, without the nice ballpark. I'd rather have something to cheer for then be 20 games out of first in June.

They'd easily be one of the worst teams in the league. It really is a shame if Pittsburgh doesn't turn it around because that park is great.

Jt0323
10-09-2006, 01:31 AM
all the teams you picked to win the division series lost...

RWhitney014
10-09-2006, 02:08 AM
all the teams you picked to win the division series lost...
:deadhorse

I pulled an A-Rod. Or an Ethan Skolnick.

I will not be making any predictions for a while. :lol:

MikeO
10-09-2006, 01:58 PM
:deadhorse

I pulled an A-Rod. Or an Ethan Skolnick.

I will not be making any predictions for a while. :lol:

Wanna take back Hoffman winning the CY YOUNG? Or at least coming close??

I will give ya a chance to take it back before the final voting comes out! :lol:

RWhitney014
10-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Wanna take back Hoffman winning the CY YOUNG? Or at least coming close??

I will give ya a chance to take it back before the final voting comes out! :lol:

I'll keep it. But I will withdraw my unmentioned pick as Joe Torre for runner-up of AL MOTY, if you'd like.

MikeO
10-10-2006, 01:02 AM
I'll keep it. But I will withdraw my unmentioned pick as Joe Torre for runner-up of AL MOTY, if you'd like.

that was a bad prediction too.

Boy that column was awful!!:lol:

RWhitney014
10-10-2006, 12:19 PM
that was a bad prediction too.

Boy that column was awful!!:lol:

:lol:

I think the joke went over your head there, Mike.