PDA

View Full Version : Could somebody explain the AP poll to me

FLOUNDER
10-09-2006, 12:35 AM
How did WVU go from a legit #4 spot on the AP polls this past week after a blowout of mississippi state and a #2 auburn loss to a spot back?

This makes no sense to me

Majpain
10-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Strength of matchup?

FLOUNDER
10-09-2006, 02:45 AM
Maybe, but we've never trailed in a game the entire season. We blew out Mississippi state 42-10 i think it was and we move back 2 spots? come on now..

DonShula84
10-09-2006, 03:11 AM
Because you should be punished for that schedule. Teams that jumped you beat good teams and they should get rewarded for that.

DonShula84
10-09-2006, 04:15 AM
I found this on another site, shows how every voter voted. Some of these people are on crack

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/external/onlinenews.ap.org/collegefootball_rankings/voters.php?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME

Blade
10-09-2006, 08:21 AM
I want to know who actually voted for WVU to be ranked Number 1. Those 2 people shouldnt be allowed to vote again.

Motion
10-09-2006, 08:24 AM
I want to know who actually voted for WVU to be ranked Number 1. Those 2 people shouldnt be allowed to vote again.

:yeahthat:

Bumpus
10-09-2006, 10:29 AM
... don't hate just because you realize that we would run for 300-350 yards on your precious buckeyes.

Motion
10-09-2006, 10:31 AM
WVU fans had to know that strength of schedule would catch up with them at some point. Not really their fault no one wants to play them though.

Alex44
10-09-2006, 10:34 AM
... don't hate just because you realize that we would run for 300-350 yards on your precious buckeyes.

If WVU was in the SEC you would have 3 losses already

I HATE Ohio State and even I can say they would roll all over WVU

finswin56
10-09-2006, 10:44 AM
How did WVU go from a legit #4 spot on the AP polls this past week after a blowout of mississippi state and a #2 auburn loss to a spot back?

This makes no sense to meI think it makes a lot of sense.
OSU has won one very big game, and beaten another solid opponent.
UF has beaten two very good teams, and another solid opponent.
Michigan killed ND, and hasn't looked beatable since.
USC although looking beatable, has a long track record, and far more talent from top to bottom, with a proven coach.

#5 for WV is a very logical spot. The only reason they're not #6 is Lousiville losing Bush.

Problem for WV is that they haven't proven anything against anyone decent. They'll have their chance against Louisville, but it still won't be enough if two other teams end up undefeated, especially if one of those teams plays a conference championship to stay undefeated.

Bumpus
10-09-2006, 10:46 AM

This makes no sense to me
Well ... considering the fact that the polls are made by those who often rely on past experience (read: previous bias) ... it doesn't really suprise me that this happened.

In regards to Florida passing us... well, they did beat a very highly ranked foe. So, I can see why they were placed ahead of us (I only hope that the favor will be returned when we stomp a mudhole in Louisville:D )

Michigan passing us ... gimme a friggin break.

I tire of the strength of schedule crap. Where are all of these pundits when it comes to USC? The Pac-10 is unbelievably weak, yet didn't USC leap over 3 teams after the first week (btw, the three teams it passed that week also registered blowout wins)
BIAS ... pure and simple

...but have faith my fellow Mountaineer, 'tis a long season yet. We must continue to win and wait for the pretenders to our title (ignoring the snickers from the back of the room) to fall by the wayside.

Let's Go .....................

Mountaineers

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-09-2006, 10:47 AM
WVU's only shot is to go undefeated and hope everyone ahead of them loses. when there's no playoff you have to be penalized for a soft schedule, fair or not.

Oboy
10-09-2006, 12:32 PM
I think it makes a lot of sense.
OSU has won one very big game, and beaten another solid opponent.
UF has beaten two very good teams, and another solid opponent.
Michigan killed ND, and hasn't looked beatable since.
USC although looking beatable, has a long track record, and far more talent from top to bottom, with a proven coach.

#5 for WV is a very logical spot. The only reason they're not #6 is Lousiville losing Bush.

Problem for WV is that they haven't proven anything against anyone decent. They'll have their chance against Louisville, but it still won't be enough if two other teams end up undefeated, especially if one of those teams plays a conference championship to stay undefeated.
I think they should be above USC. USC, IMO has not done ANYTHING this year. However, I agree they should not be above the top 3.

Motion
10-09-2006, 12:37 PM
I think they should be above USC. USC, IMO has not done ANYTHING this year. However, I agree they should not be above the top 3.

I agree, I really thought that USC should have been the one to slip down. They'll most likely lose at least one soon anyway with Cal and ND coming up.

FLOUNDER
10-09-2006, 01:05 PM
I think we should be at #4 personally. I see no difference in WVU blowing out decent opponents such as MSU. And say USC barley beating Washington an unranked team. and Florida a #5 team i believe they were beating a #9 team. Yes they (florida deserve to be up there) but i dont agree that USC does

FLOUNDER
10-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Its only a matter of time before Michigan and hart,manningham and henne take down Ohio State. And before Auburn take down Florida...I can only hope

Oboy
10-09-2006, 01:15 PM
I think we should be at #4 personally. I see no difference in WVU blowing out decent opponents such as MSU. And say USC barley beating Washington an unranked team. and Florida a #5 team i believe they were beating a #9 team. Yes they (florida deserve to be up there) but i dont agree that USC does
IMO, USC is living off of reputation.

Blade
10-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Its only a matter of time before Michigan and hart,manningham and henne take down Ohio State. And before Auburn take down Florida...I can only hope

Keep on hoping but it wont help WVU get in the National Title game.

FLOUNDER
10-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Keep on hoping but it wont help WVU get in the National Title game.

Not this year. But then again we only have sophomores at the QB and RB posistion. And they were freshman that destroyed that Georgia team last season

Face it buckeye fan, OSU is going down against michigan

Blade
10-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Not this year. But then again we only have sophomores at the QB and RB posistion. And they were freshman that destroyed that Georgia team last season

Face it buckeye fan, OSU is going down against michigan

It may happen, or it may not happen. But I know for a fact that WVU couldnt beat either OSU or Michigan.

Majpain
10-09-2006, 03:33 PM

LOL, I'm sure he would get 175-200 yards but you would have under 17 points. Bucks would Roll over WV.

Bumpus
10-09-2006, 03:44 PM
If WVU was in the SEC you would have 3 losses already

I HATE Ohio State and even I can say they would roll all over WVU
Then you have not seen the 'Eers lately. Our running game is absolutely sick.

Majpain
10-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Then you have not seen the 'Eers lately. Our running game is absolutely sick.

Lets see who you have played.

Marshall
East Washington (LOL)
Maryland
East Carolina
Miss St

Wow those are some real contenders right there :sidelol:

LouPhinFan
10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
(I only hope that the favor will be returned when we stomp a mudhole in Louisville:D )

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

Good luck with that. U of L's defense is built to stop the run (293 yards allowed to date). WVU defense has only 6 sacks :eek: so far this season. Their pass rush doesn't exsist. Teams have had to pass the ball because they have been blowing out the competion and they still only managed 6. Brohm will be back at 100%, with the Syracuse and possibly the Cincy game under his belt. With no pass rush to worry about, he will pick the WVU secondary to pieces. Oh and the game is in Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium.
Yeah, Good luck with that.

finswin56
10-09-2006, 11:37 PM
I agree, I really thought that USC should have been the one to slip down. They'll most likely lose at least one soon anyway with Cal and ND coming up.The one thing people are losing sight of w/ USC, is that Steve Smith and Dwayne Jarret have been playing hurt the last two or three (close) games. Those guys are the stars of that offense, and have been no where near full speed.

Bumpus
10-10-2006, 10:44 AM
:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

Good luck with that. U of L's defense is built to stop the run (293 yards allowed to date). WVU defense has only 6 sacks :eek: so far this season. Their pass rush doesn't exsist. Teams have had to pass the ball because they have been blowing out the competion and they still only managed 6. Brohm will be back at 100%, with the Syracuse and possibly the Cincy game under his belt. With no pass rush to worry about, he will pick the WVU secondary to pieces. Oh and the game is in Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium.
Yeah, Good luck with that.
:lol:
was waiting for that...

Motion
10-10-2006, 11:00 AM
The one thing people are losing sight of w/ USC, is that Steve Smith and Dwayne Jarret have been playing hurt the last two or three (close) games. Those guys are the stars of that offense, and have been no where near full speed.

Neither one of them play defense. :wink:

Stitches
10-10-2006, 11:32 AM
USC needs to lose soon. Of course I hope OSU does too, but I only say that because I hate them. I still think LSU could take down OSU, but I think WV would get beat pretty soundly by OSU.

Mike13
10-10-2006, 12:00 PM
well, they did beat a very highly ranked foe

Correction, They crushed a highly ranked foe.

finswin56
10-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Neither one of them play defense. :wink:No, but they make the offense so much better, and that in turn betters the defense. It wouldn't help the D significantly, but their offense would return to overwhelming. It's still early, and voters are easily turned a team w/ past success like USC turns it on against Cal and UCLA. If their offense returns to form, I wouldn't put anything past the voters.

Motion
10-10-2006, 12:36 PM
No, but they make the offense so much better, and that in turn betters the defense. It wouldn't help the D significantly, but their offense would return to overwhelming. It's still early, and voters are easily turned a team w/ past success like USC turns it on against Cal and UCLA. If their offense returns to form, I wouldn't put anything past the voters.

Fair enough, I still think the lose to Cal and possibly ND.

FLOUNDER
10-11-2006, 12:02 AM
how would you guys like to see the A.P polls ranked? make it decent...

1. Ohio State- i'll give them that, they have an excellent team with smith, gonzalez, Ginn
2. USC- they havent shown be anything special this season, there just living off hype in my opinion of the years past
3.WVU- I dont see a reason why not, 2 heisman cantidates on there team. Well i think so, steve slaton and pat white, reguardless of there schedule, there straight kicking the crap out of there opponents and our passing game is really opening up
4. Florida- Chris leak is a fine athlete and there hard to beat. We learned that we they went to ole' rocky top and took down the vols
5. Michigan- Henne,manningham, and mike hart are sick on offense. There D is dominating opponents in every way shape and form possible

DonShula84
10-11-2006, 04:53 AM

1. Ohio State- i'll give them that, they have an excellent team with smith, gonzalez, Ginn
2. USC- they havent shown be anything special this season, there just living off hype in my opinion of the years past
3.WVU- I dont see a reason why not, 2 heisman cantidates on there team. Well i think so, steve slaton and pat white, reguardless of there schedule, there straight kicking the crap out of there opponents and our passing game is really opening up
4. Florida- Chris leak is a fine athlete and there hard to beat. We learned that we they went to ole' rocky top and took down the vols
5. Michigan- Henne,manningham, and mike hart are sick on offense. There D is dominating opponents in every way shape and form possible

I think the way they have it is how it should be.

OSU
Florida
USC
Michigan
WVU

ZolarZ_GoPhins
10-11-2006, 06:32 AM
Everyone knows I am a WVU fan from my postings on this forum.

That said so far this year in the preseason rankings and now in the current AP polls I am satisfied at where WVU is. Sure my homerism made me think we should have been one spot higher preseason, and now I would like to have stayed at 4 ahead of Mich. Reality is WVU is getting alot of respect for the team they have and are still a top 5 team.

I have absolutely no problem with the voters ranking Florida at number 2 and jumping a few teams to get there. I feel the SEC is the toughest conference and with the schedules they play if an SEC team is undefeated one of them should be ranked top 2.

With Michigan jumpin over us to 4 isn't that big of a deal. They still have to play Ohio St. and therefore both teams can't go undefeated.

USC is the only top 5 that I don't think has really earned the right to keep their spot. They are going on reputation and just barely escaped with a win over 2 unranked teams the past 2 weeks. They did beat Nebraska so that gives them some credance. Anyways I think they will fall off at some point this season and be out of the picture.

When Nov 2nd gets here the BigDog in the BigEast will be decided and the whole picture will start to shape up better. WVU has to win that game and show alot to even stay in the NC hunt.

Right now the NC is shaping up to be a Big10 - SEC matchup. I would bet either Ohio St or Mich will go undefeated and the team that does that is in the NC. WVU's only chance is that the SEC plays out to where a one loss team plays a 2 loss team in the SEC title game and the 2 loss team wins. Those Conf Championship games are really a crap shoot. The Conf gets extra money from the game but is it really worth it to have a school lose out on the NC game? Ahh but the parity of NCAA football you have to love it, that is why there is so much controvercy and discussion about the game.

My hope this year is that WVU goes undfeated and wins their BCS game. The NC really isn't in their hands. A few things have to play out for WVU to get a shot. That is the reality. As a WVU fan you have to accept it for this year.

The BigEast has made big strides this year and will have to make a good showing in the bowl season. Then next year maybe WVU's fate can be in their own hands.

Motion
10-11-2006, 07:04 AM

I'd rank them:

1. OSU
2. Florida
3. Michigan
4. WVU
5. USC

Blade
10-11-2006, 07:23 AM
I'd rank them:

- OSU
- Florida
- Michigan
- USC
- WVU

finswin56
10-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Everyone knows I am a WVU fan from my postings on this forum.

That said so far this year in the preseason rankings and now in the current AP polls I am satisfied at where WVU is. Sure my homerism made me think we should have been one spot higher preseason, and now I would like to have stayed at 4 ahead of Mich. Reality is WVU is getting alot of respect for the team they have and are still a top 5 team.

I have absolutely no problem with the voters ranking Florida at number 2 and jumping a few teams to get there. I feel the SEC is the toughest conference and with the schedules they play if an SEC team is undefeated one of them should be ranked top 2.

With Michigan jumpin over us to 4 isn't that big of a deal. They still have to play Ohio St. and therefore both teams can't go undefeated.

USC is the only top 5 that I don't think has really earned the right to keep their spot. They are going on reputation and just barely escaped with a win over 2 unranked teams the past 2 weeks. They did beat Nebraska so that gives them some credance. Anyways I think they will fall off at some point this season and be out of the picture.

When Nov 2nd gets here the BigDog in the BigEast will be decided and the whole picture will start to shape up better. WVU has to win that game and show alot to even stay in the NC hunt.

Right now the NC is shaping up to be a Big10 - SEC matchup. I would bet either Ohio St or Mich will go undefeated and the team that does that is in the NC. WVU's only chance is that the SEC plays out to where a one loss team plays a 2 loss team in the SEC title game and the 2 loss team wins. Those Conf Championship games are really a crap shoot. The Conf gets extra money from the game but is it really worth it to have a school lose out on the NC game? Ahh but the parity of NCAA football you have to love it, that is why there is so much controvercy and discussion about the game.

My hope this year is that WVU goes undfeated and wins their BCS game. The NC really isn't in their hands. A few things have to play out for WVU to get a shot. That is the reality. As a WVU fan you have to accept it for this year.

The BigEast has made big strides this year and will have to make a good showing in the bowl season. Then next year maybe WVU's fate can be in their own hands.Nice post. To add to that thought of conference championships... I really think as long as there is not playoff, every BCS conference should be forced to schedule a championship game. It's absurd that the SEC, Big-12, and ACC teams have to deal with that. It's not just an extra game, it's against the other division's champion. IMO, if a team comes into that game undefeated, and slips up, they shouldn't drop under a team w/o a conference championship.

BTW, I don't know that I would change it much
OSU
UF
UM
USC
WV
Louisville

I'll stick with USC at 4 until Jarret and Smith return to full strength, and then USC continue's to struggle. OR, if WV beats Louisville. That would be a huge win. I have to make a top 6 w/ Louisville, because I feel they're right there with WV, as long a Brohm can come back. They've been every bit as impressive as WV. Louisville could have laid down after Bush was lost, and Brohm got injured. Instead they throttle was has to be considered in the very least, a quality opponent in Miami. Not great, but better than WV has faced thus far.

Bumpus
10-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Yeah, that's about the long and short of it...

My two cents:
1. - Ohio State (has done absolutely nothing to lose the top spot)
2. - Florida (impressive win last week)
3. - WVU (I'm telling you, this team is going places...strength of sched. be damned)
4. - Michigan (looking better and better every week)
5. - USC (good team, but only this high because of past accomplishments)
6. - Louisville (very impressive team, probably should be ahead of USC)