PDA

View Full Version : Joe Torre

NJL52
10-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Does anybody else think that this man is an absolutely awful manager? Not just bad, but awful?

The man is givin basically an all star game quality lineup every year and they don't perform like it. You can go ahead and make excuses saying that the pitchers don't perform well, the fielders get hurt etc. But the job of a head coach is to compensate and make sure your players play well.

The Yankees roster would be similar to:
QB Peyton Manning
RB Tomlinson
FB Neal
WR TO
WR Torry Holt
TE Tony Gonzalez
DE Peppers
DE Freeny
DT Shaun Rogers
DT Tommie Harris
OLB Derrick Brooks
OLB DJ Williams
MLB Vilma
CB Bailey
CB D Hall
SS Ed Reed
FS Sean Taylor

Anything put perfection from that team would be a huge disapointment, exactly what Joe Torre brings every year.

There are like 12 players on the Yankees who made more then the entire Marlins roster this year. And the Marlins got pretty damned close to 500. The Marlins should have went 200 winning percentage. But they overachieved due to a good coach. If you put Joe Girardi as Yankees manager they would dominate.

Shula Come Back!
10-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Joe Torre won four World Series. He is a great coach when he was coaching his team with his style. Now with high profile players added to the mix, Joe Torre is not used to it and not responding to it well, obviously.

Motion
10-10-2006, 04:14 PM
:lol: I like the roster comparison although I'd say the QB(pitcher) would be better compared to Jake Plummer.

Ray Finkle
10-10-2006, 05:43 PM
There's no way Torre is an awful manager. He's a GREAT clubhouse manager (if he wasn't the players would have killed each other the past 3 years with all the egos). Personally I don't think Torre is the greatest in game manager and has made a lot of mistakes in the past 6 seasons but you have to blame the players more than Torre for the team's failures.

Phinz4Life
10-10-2006, 06:36 PM
The biggest knock on Torre IMO is his overuse of relief pitchers, recently -- Paul Quantrill, Tom Gordon, Mo to an extent, Scott Proctor, Ron Villone, etc.

More than often he doesn't let his starters go long enough, and brings in the reliable arms in situations that aren't necessary.

FinFaninMS
10-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Yeah, the guy only won 4 World Series and 6 AL pennants. He's a loser. :rolleyes2

Jt0323
10-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Yeah, the guy only won 4 World Series and 6 AL pennants. He's a loser. :rolleyes2
:yeahthat:

PHINATIC13
10-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Joe Torre is a class act imo.He had a helluva run in NY.

phinphan896
10-10-2006, 08:49 PM
the larry coker of baseball (its a bad thing)

bullseyeguy
10-10-2006, 08:50 PM
I dont think he would win without an offensive line.....

djfresh47
10-10-2006, 09:43 PM

In the last 6 years the Yankees have been a failure and I think Torre should've been fired. The last three years have been a disaster for them in the playoffs. He's gotten the benefit of the doubt especially after Boston came back a couple years ago but now seemed like the right time to get rid of him. I believe he's got one more year left on his contract so regardless I think next season will be his last in NY.

MikeO
10-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Joe is loved by the players. Even his ex-players. The ONLY reason Roger Clemens didn't go back to Boston this year was because of Joe Torre and he didn't want to go there and possibly hurt Joe in anyway (that was the reports at least).

I would have fired Joe. But I can't knock the Yanks for keeping him. 4 WS championships.6 apperances. 9 straight division titles. That is tough to knock. The payroll thing is wayyyyyyyyyy overrated. People put too much into it. Teams that spend $120 mill-200 mill are the same. They really are.

Ray Finkle
10-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Joe is loved by the players. Even his ex-players. The ONLY reason Roger Clemens didn't go back to Boston this year was because of Joe Torre and he didn't want to go there and possibly hurt Joe in anyway (that was the reports at least).

I would have fired Joe. But I can't knock the Yanks for keeping him. 4 WS championships.6 apperances. 9 straight division titles. That is tough to knock. The payroll thing is wayyyyyyyyyy overrated. People put too much into it. Teams that spend $120 mill-200 mill are the same. They really are.

I never heard that report. I think the only reasons why he didn't come back to Boston was because he wanted to stay close to home and he knew pitching in the AL would be tougher compared to the NL.

MikeO
10-10-2006, 11:43 PM
I never heard that report. I think the only reasons why he didn't come back to Boston was because he wanted to stay close to home and he knew pitching in the AL would be tougher compared to the NL.

that was part of it. Another part was going to Boston and hurting Joe Torre possibly. Roger loves Joe.

Even a rumor that Joe might give Roger's induction speech when the day comes.

Ray Finkle
10-10-2006, 11:46 PM
that was part of it. Another part was going to Boston and hurting Joe Torre possibly. Roger loves Joe.

Even a rumor that Joe might give Roger's induction speech when the day comes.

Like I said I never heard of that report. I know the players all love Joe and why not? The guy is a player's manager. But I personally think the report is BS because if Clemens didn't want to hurt Joe, why did he join Houston in 2004 when he said he was going to retire? And if he loves Joe so much why didn't he join the Yankees? Because you know the Yankees would have loved to have him back.

MikeO
10-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Like I said I never heard of that report. I know the players all love Joe and why not? The guy is a player's manager. But I personally think the report is BS because if Clemens didn't want to hurt Joe, why did he join Houston in 2004 when he said he was going to retire? And if he loves Joe so much why didn't he join the Yankees? Because you know the Yankees would have loved to have him back.

In the NL he can't hurt joe by beating him (unless the world series of course). In Ny roger could be the reason he keeps NY out of the playoffs or such.

He didn't rejoin the Yanks because the Yanks wouldn't let him do his "no road trips" only fly in on game-day type of deal

Ray Finkle
10-10-2006, 11:52 PM
In the NL he can't hurt joe by beating him (unless the world series of course). In Ny roger could be the reason he keeps NY out of the playoffs or such.

He didn't rejoin the Yanks because the Yanks wouldn't let him do his "no road trips" only fly in on game-day type of deal

When the Yankees have Wright and Lidle in the rotation, Clemens wouldn't have hurt the team. I think Clemens going to Houston was a slap in the Yankees face a little bit though.

And yes I know the Yankees wouldn't let him do the no road trips thing, I was trying to tell you that back in May but you said the Yankees wouldn't care about that and would let him do whatever he wants.

MikeO
10-10-2006, 11:55 PM
When the Yankees have Wright and Lidle in the rotation, Clemens wouldn't have hurt the team. I think Clemens going to Houston was a slap in the Yankees face a little bit though.

And yes I know the Yankees wouldn't let him do the no road trips thing, I was trying to tell you that back in May but you said the Yankees wouldn't care about that and would let him do whatever he wants.

yeah, they wouldn't have cared at a certain price. Roger's price went up and at the price he wanted they weren't going to do that. He wanted FULL TIME pay for part time work!! :shakeno: :shakeno:

nyjunc
10-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Does anybody else think that this man is an absolutely awful manager? Not just bad, but awful?

The man is givin basically an all star game quality lineup every year and they don't perform like it. You can go ahead and make excuses saying that the pitchers don't perform well, the fielders get hurt etc. But the job of a head coach is to compensate and make sure your players play well.

The Yankees roster would be similar to:
QB Peyton Manning
RB Tomlinson
FB Neal
WR TO
WR Torry Holt
TE Tony Gonzalez
DE Peppers
DE Freeny
DT Shaun Rogers
DT Tommie Harris
OLB Derrick Brooks
OLB DJ Williams
MLB Vilma
CB Bailey
CB D Hall
SS Ed Reed
FS Sean Taylor

Anything put perfection from that team would be a huge disapointment, exactly what Joe Torre brings every year.

There are like 12 players on the Yankees who made more then the entire Marlins roster this year. And the Marlins got pretty damned close to 500. The Marlins should have went 200 winning percentage. But they overachieved due to a good coach. If you put Joe Girardi as Yankees manager they would dominate.

we have peyton manning, the MLB version and his name is Alex Rodrigues. manning has never won anyting and ARod is a choker just like him. There wasn't much he could do when his bats went cold again and choked again in postseason.