PDA

View Full Version : My idea of FA and Draft

SR 7
10-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Can someone post the top 4 FA in the following postions for next year?

S
LB
RG
LG
And CB?

I think we will let go of the following...
James LG
Booker WR
Anderson RG
Hill or Tillman one of the 2 S
Newman LB
Hodge LB if he isn't already released....

I think we will draft Lb/S in round 1 if one of the top 2 LT are not on the board of that blaylock guy from TEX.

If we don't go OLine it'll prob be S/LB round 1 to 2, then o line round 3 or round 4 and a CB. We need lb 100% this yr and 1 more S.

I rather draft all D and fix the line via FA or draft a franchise type o line n fix the 1 piece we didn't draft via FA then.

Last year I predicted about 8 signings from the FA and ppl clowned me saying it aint madden...we ended up signing about 11. This yr we have more free space as oppose 2 last year via cap and the cap wil rise 9 mill I believe it is.

MartinTheSNAKE
10-13-2006, 02:07 PM
EDIT: Read his question wrong, ignore this post

Adam First
10-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Hodge was released during the final cuts

There's a good crop of free agency defensive backs coming up, including Nate Clements, Asante Samuel, Ken Hamlin, Tony Parrish, John Lynch.

Not so much for OL though...Leonard Davis, Max Starks and Dwayne Carswell are a few.

Tropical Swarm
10-13-2006, 02:19 PM

S
LB
RG
LG
And CB?

James LG
Booker WR
Anderson RG
Newman LB

I think we will draft Lb/S in round 1 if one of the top 2 LT are not on the board of that blaylock guy from TEX.

If we don't go OLine it'll prob be S/LB round 1 to 2, then o line round 3 or round 4 and a CB. We need lb 100% this yr and 1 more S.

I rather draft all D and fix the line via FA or draft a franchise type o line n fix the 1 piece we didn't draft via FA then.

Last year I predicted about 8 signings from the FA and ppl clowned me saying it aint madden...we ended up signing about 11. This yr we have more free space as oppose 2 last year via cap and the cap wil rise 9 mill I believe it is.are you the coach ?

FanMarino
10-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Depends who is on the board , but our main concern is on the o line,

My main concern can a 1st Round Tackle immediately contribute? Is that position a cert? We havnt had one since Richmond Webb. We went 2nd round as well in 1990 with Simms in the 2nd round and we had IMO the best left sided OL in the NFL. Its only because weve gone that long since weve drafted so high with OL (Carey is still question mark due to his non instant impact) that i have my doubts.

Breed
10-13-2006, 02:21 PM
My favorite options would be to sign Leonard Davis as a Guard, and then draft Joe Thomas.

LT-Joe Thomas (will be a franchise LT within a couple of years)
LG-Leonard Davis/Jeno James/Joe Toledo
C-Seth McKinney/draft pick
RG-Rex Hadnot/Leonard Davis/Joe Toledo
RT-Vernon Carey

MartinTheSNAKE
10-13-2006, 02:35 PM
I think we should keep rex at C then draft two tackles and sign a guard then move shelton to guard

(Joe thomas in the 1rst)

(Joe Staley in the 2nd)

(Then from pick 3-5 we draft defense)

6th goes to the line for depth

then draft defense 7th again

Breed
10-13-2006, 02:47 PM
We've got needs at so many positions, we need the 'best available player' in every round.

If Joe Thomas is still on the board when we pick (assuming Calvin Johnson is gone), he will be the best player available. If Joe Thomas and Calvin Johnson are both gone, we still need to take the best available player.......whether it's Brady Quinn/Brian Brohm or whoever.

I'm not sure we're set at any position. I'm a Culpepper supporter, but there's no guarantee he'll ever be the same again.....and I really don't see Harrington/Cleo Lemon as our future.

The only picks I wouldn't spend a high 1st round pick on are:
RB/TE/DT

With that said, it sure would be nice if Joe Thomas was there with our pick. We'd fill our biggest need and take the best available player at the same time.

Allaboutthefins
10-13-2006, 02:51 PM
saban will not draft on the basis of which position is needed, he will draft the best possible players on the board in each round.

FanMarino
10-13-2006, 03:07 PM
saban will not draft on the basis of which position is needed, he will draft the best possible players on the board in each round.

How do you know that? If we are in dire need at DB, OL and LB what makes you think he will choose an RB or TE if hes the best player at that position? :confused:

Alex44
10-13-2006, 03:12 PM
I love how people say drafting the best player available

A hint of news to all those...there is no such thing.

If a RB is the best player on the board in the first round do you think the Chargers are taking him? No?

You draft best player available by need

Lets say you desperatly need a OLB, CB, and a LT

In the first round you take the best player available at one of those need positions (unless there is a player so good at another position you cant pass him up)

FanMarino
10-13-2006, 03:15 PM
I love how people say drafting the best player available

A hint of news to all those...there is no such thing.

If a RB is the best player on the board in the first round do you think the Chargers are taking him? No?

You draft best player available by need

Lets say you desperatly need a OLB, CB, and a LT

In the first round you take the best player available at one of those need positions (unless there is a player so good at another position you cant pass him up)

You must have read my previous post m8 :D

Mr772
10-13-2006, 03:18 PM

S
LB
RG
LG
And CB?

James LG
Booker WR
Anderson RG
Newman LB

Last year I predicted about 8 signings from the FA and ppl clowned me saying it aint madden...we ended up signing about 11. This yr we have more free space as oppose 2 last year via cap and the cap wil rise 9 mill I believe it is.

I hope and pray we get to draft Jared Gaither!!! He looks like he could be the new #1 tackle in the NFL.

Nick13
10-13-2006, 04:07 PM
you know, as pressing as O-Line seems right now, i think things will improve by the end of the year and that good OL can be had in the later rounds, especially with Houck as our OL coach. i think corner is the biggest need right now, because Daniels cant stay healthy this year, Poole is a question mark, and Goodman hasnt shown anything other than he is good in run support. i think that pick should be Antoine Cason out of Arizona, he's a Pac 10 corner, which means he has covered top recievers since he was a freshman, because if there is anything that the Pac 10 is good for, its producing WR's, this guy has been a star on a mediocre at best team, think how well he might play with our defense. lets all remember the last star cornerback to come out of Arizona--Chris McAllister.

SR 7
10-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Also remember guys, if as it seems we keep DC, you better bet we will trade Joey for a PICK and hopefully be able to trade RW for a pick as well. with that being said, we can have 2 EXTRA picks and with 1 of the picks we have, we draft a QB as well. We can have a good year with picks finally on day 1 and i Hope we go S, OLB, MLB and OL via first 4 rounds.

Breed
10-13-2006, 04:20 PM
you know, as pressing as O-Line seems right now, i think things will improve by the end of the year and that good OL can be had in the later rounds, especially with Houck as our OL coach. i think corner is the biggest need right now, because Daniels cant stay healthy this year, Poole is a question mark, and Goodman hasnt shown anything other than he is good in run support. i think that pick should be Antoine Cason out of Arizona, he's a Pac 10 corner, which means he has covered top recievers since he was a freshman, because if there is anything that the Pac 10 is good for, its producing WR's, this guy has been a star on a mediocre at best team, think how well he might play with our defense. lets all remember the last star cornerback to come out of Arizona--Chris McAllister.

The OL as a unit might improve, but LJ Shelton will still be a horrible LT. I'd much rather have a franchise LT than a 'shutdown' corner. As of right now, there are 3 or 4 offensive tackles that I'd rate above the highest rated corner.

We do have a lot of needs, and it wouldn't hurt to add a quality CB, but LB/S is a a bigger concern.

Nick13
10-13-2006, 04:37 PM
The OL as a unit might improve, but LJ Shelton will still be a horrible LT. I'd much rather have a franchise LT than a 'shutdown' corner. As of right now, there are 3 or 4 offensive tackles that I'd rate above the highest rated corner.

We do have a lot of needs, and it wouldn't hurt to add a quality CB, but LB/S is a a bigger concern.

i really would not like to see us draft a safety in the first round two years in a row. if there is an impact linebacker there? yeah, we definetly need one, take him. but as of right now, i see corner as the biggest need of this team, we are more than capable of shutting down the run right now, but our pass defense is leaky, we need to get a playmaker back there and thats what Cason is.

DUB
10-13-2006, 05:08 PM
1. Lt
2. Lb
3. S
4. Cb
5. Lb
6. Joey
7. Dt

ItsOurTime32
10-13-2006, 05:10 PM
leonard davis on o line

mmikel30
10-13-2006, 05:11 PM
I think we should keep rex at C then draft two tackles and sign a guard then move shelton to guard

(Joe thomas in the 1rst)

(Joe Staley in the 2nd)

(Then from pick 3-5 we draft defense)

6th goes to the line for depth

then draft defense 7th againno sir i don't think hadnot fits well at center he is a good backup like the rest of the o line we need a good center and a good LT you keep carey at RT and find the best mauler guard in free agency

Breed
10-13-2006, 05:17 PM
i really would not like to see us draft a safety in the first round two years in a row. if there is an impact linebacker there? yeah, we definetly need one, take him. but as of right now, i see corner as the biggest need of this team, we are more than capable of shutting down the run right now, but our pass defense is leaky, we need to get a playmaker back there and thats what Cason is.

I'll agree that we need some playmakers; that's probably our biggest weakness on defense (aside from Jason Taylor). I also feel we have much bigger concerns than cornerback. Our cornerbacks have a combined 2 INTs and 1 FF; our safeties have 0 INTs and FFs. Our LB/S are much bigger liabilities in coverage than our corners. I'll go ahead and mention it again, Of the 861 yards passing the Dolphins have allowed this year, 330 of those yards have gone to tight ends/running backs. Of the 8 TDs we've allowed through the air, 3 have been to tight ends/running backs. Most of those yards have been allowed because of poor coverage from our LB/S core.

Right now, our safety play is holding us back more than our cornerback play; and our OL play is holding us back more than our linebacker/safety play.

If we're picking in the top 10, the only way I want us picking a S is if he's the next Sean Taylor (on the field). The only LB I see that is worth picking with a top 15 pick is Patrick Willis. I don't see any cornerbacks worth a top 10 pick; as of right now. Meanwhile, there could be up to 3-4 offensive tackles taken within the 1st 10 picks. I'm almost positve there will be atleast 2 offensive tackles taken within the first 10 picks.

miami234ever
10-13-2006, 05:57 PM
IMO we need 8 things: LT, RG, CB, SS, OLB, Young DE, Young LB, DT(If we don't resign Holliday)

We should sign:
1. Nate Clements
2. Leonard Davis to play RG

Draft:
1. Buster Davis OLB FSU
2. Aaron Rouse SS Virgina Tech (6' 4" 225!)
3. Levi Brown OT PSU or Jared Gaither Maryland (Whichever's available)
4-6: LB, DE, DT
7. TE

jbyrd423
10-13-2006, 06:28 PM
levi brown definetly wont be around after the 1st round

miami234ever
10-13-2006, 06:45 PM
levi brown definetly wont be around after the 1st round

That's what they said about Winston Justice and he go drafted like 36th-37th.

jlfin
10-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Hodge was released during the final cuts

There's a good crop of free agency defensive backs coming up, including Nate Clements, Asante Samuel, Ken Hamlin, Tony Parrish, John Lynch.

Not so much for OL though...Leonard Davis, Max Starks and Dwayne Carswell are a few.

You consider John Lynch part of a good crop? Listen, I respect his career but he won't have much to offer after this season. He's lost a step which already makes him 2 steps slower than everyone else.:lol:

Yardbird99
10-13-2006, 09:32 PM
...good OL can be had in the later rounds....

That philosophy isn't really working for us. We need a blue-chipper.

SR 7
10-13-2006, 09:51 PM

and what do you think a S does? loll sorry but you dont know much about this secondary of ours. if that was the case, saban woulnd't be looking for S help, but rather CB help. our S are one of the worst and slowest in the game wiht no brain cells. two years in a row can mean 2 great S tandems for years to come if not, the BEST in teh game. imagine a Landry and Allen SPEEED COMBO on the field and GREAT tackling and GREAT coverage...thats insane. you got all 3 KEY POINTS in a DB as yoru S's for years to come. thats scary.

SR 7
10-13-2006, 09:52 PM
You consider John Lynch part of a good crop? Listen, I respect his career but he won't have much to offer after this season. He's lost a step which already makes him 2 steps slower than everyone else.:lol:

agree. lynch isn't fast and tahts why we let Lance go. we want speed not aging Gpas.

SR 7
10-13-2006, 09:53 PM
IMO we need 8 things: LT, RG, CB, SS, OLB, Young DE, Young LB, DT(If we don't resign Holliday)

We should sign:
1. Nate Clements
2. Leonard Davis to play RG

Draft:
1. Buster Davis OLB FSU
2. Aaron Rouse SS Virgina Tech (6' 4" 225!)
3. Levi Brown OT PSU or Jared Gaither Maryland (Whichever's available)
4-6: LB, DE, DT
7. TE

if that is our Draft, we woudl have the best draft in hisotry of the game lolll. Levi wont go round 3 tho, i promise you. Davis i'd love and rouse i'd love, those 2....WOW dream come true for me.

SR 7
10-13-2006, 10:01 PM
I'll agree that we need some playmakers; that's probably our biggest weakness on defense (aside from Jason Taylor). I also feel we have much bigger concerns than cornerback. Our cornerbacks have a combined 2 INTs and 1 FF; our safeties have 0 INTs and FFs. Our LB/S are much bigger liabilities in coverage than our corners. I'll go ahead and mention it again, Of the 861 yards passing the Dolphins have allowed this year, 330 of those yards have gone to tight ends/running backs. Of the 8 TDs we've allowed through the air, 3 have been to tight ends/running backs. Most of those yards have been allowed because of poor coverage from our LB/S core.

Right now, our safety play is holding us back more than our cornerback play; and our OL play is holding us back more than our linebacker/safety play.

If we're picking in the top 10, the only way I want us picking a S is if he's the next Sean Taylor (on the field). The only LB I see that is worth picking with a top 15 pick is Patrick Willis. I don't see any cornerbacks worth a top 10 pick; as of right now. Meanwhile, there could be up to 3-4 offensive tackles taken within the 1st 10 picks. I'm almost positve there will be atleast 2 offensive tackles taken within the first 10 picks.

the problem i see wiht majority of the Lb in this years crop is that they are small. many are around 235 to 240 lbs. Saban likes the 250 range.

WE need speed on the LB side and S side and i think we need a MLB AND AN OLB this year via draft/FA. NO not a newman spragan LB vai FA but a REAL top notch one.

I konw this is a game but just listen...In the 06 madden, our team was VERY SLOW. i mean VERY SLOW on both ends of the ball. In this years madden, we added some speed and its a HUGEEE diff especially on Defense. Speed and sound tackling have helped our team TREMENDOUSLY. Imagine wiht a faster S and LB core. It'll be very nice to see that again like back in the days of 2000, 2001.

PhinsRock
10-14-2006, 01:20 PM
I sure hope we draft OL in the first two rounds. This is our area of greatest need. We do NOT need any DL, after OL I hope we look for a super physical specimin at LB to compliment Zach and Channing. Do you guys think a good LB can be found in the third round?

D-bolt
10-15-2006, 10:35 AM
I sure hope we draft OL in the first two rounds. This is our area of greatest need. We do NOT need any DL, after OL I hope we look for a super physical specimin at LB to compliment Zach and Channing. Do you guys think a good LB can be found in the third round?

I think you take the best LT in the 1st if one's worth it at our slot. I would then move onto a Bcker like Prescoot Burgess out Michigan in the 2nd. He's a very sound tackler, can cover(former DB), and is big. Then in the third you move back to the oline and pickup a gaurd as they definately can be had in this round. Look at the Saints, they picked up Jhari Evans out of Bloomsburg University (My alma Matter) and he has been there most dominant run blocker. They took him in the 4th and he has established himself as one of the premeire up and comming offensive linemen in the league. As for the later rounds let Saban look at the DB's and decide what he wants.

UCFinfan86
10-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Dwayne Carswell? i thought he was a TE