PDA

View Full Version : What has Houck done for you lately?

dougfinsfan72
10-13-2006, 11:30 PM
I keep hearing people talking about Houck this and Houck that, but what has Houk done for you or the Dolphins lately?

Did it ever occur to you that the players Houck coached made him the coach that he is instead of him making the players the offensive linemen that they are?

In the two years he has been here, I haven't seen anything special in his teachings whether it be techniques or schemes. Not one of our offensive linemen has exceeded or even met expectations with him as our OL coach.

We need to stop hailing Houck as the coming messiah just like we need to stop Hailing Saban as the coming messiah. Coaching can get you but so far. In the end, what it boils down to is: Does the player have the skills or the talent to be very good or great?

The Dolphins players are showing that they just don't have the skills or the talent to be a good team. I didn't even say, very good or great. If you put a bunch of average players together you're going to end up with an average or in our case a below average team!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we start adding a regular mix of young Pro Bowl quality players at KEY GAME CHANGING POSITIONS then we will start winning not only games but the BIG GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, Saban has got to go!!!!!! He is too controlling and too ignorant, there is too much hostility in his press conferences, and his ability to evaluate talent is questionable at best.

Daunt8TDChris84
10-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Listen when you teach in a classroom.

If the guy is smart you dont have to really teach him.
If the guy is not stupid/ but kind of smart you can teach him and get good results.(chargers)
Now when you try to teach a class with clueless students that they dont know a plate about what your teaching all their smartness is just common sense ,sorry you cant teach them algebra.(us)

So what that means our o-line are as stupid as they come and dont know football very well.

See the other day the princpal threw out Mr.wade smith he just couldnt get it , he was so dumb, hes report card scored D+ & F- every class, until Teacher Houck went to the principal and said this is the dumbest kid out here lets kick him out the school.

Now next in line is Mr.Bernie anderson.

SSnowman
10-14-2006, 01:46 AM
You ought to become a football coach or GM since you know all about it.

Coral Reefer
10-14-2006, 01:47 AM
We need to stop hailing Houck as the coming messiah just like we need to stop Hailing Saban as the coming messiah. Coaching can get you but so far. In the end, what it boils down to is: Does the player have the skills or the talent to be very good or great?

The Dolphins players are showing that they just don't have the skills or the talent to be a good team. I didn't even say, very good or great. If you put a bunch of average players together you're going to end up with an average or in our case a below average team!!!!!!!!!!!!.

You open your post ranting about how Houck is underachieving in his teachings and failing as a coach. Then in an absurd turn follow up your argument stating that coaching only goes so far and it's obvious that the Phins players are the problems. :lol:

Which is it?
Classic!

Houck is a very respected coach in the league and comes with a solid pedigree. IMO the second part of your post is the correct part. If you look at the OL players we have, how many of them would any of you consider as having a solid pedigree as a player? Personally, I'd say just one. This OL does not have a base of players you'd look at and consider them anything more than avg. at best.

You're giving Houck a rash of crap for nothing here IMO.

When we start adding a regular mix of young Pro Bowl quality players at KEY GAME CHANGING POSITIONS then we will start winning not only games but the BIG GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

No shiznit!
Who knew?

Finally, Saban has got to go!!!!!! He is too controlling and too ignorant, there is too much hostility in his press conferences, and his ability to evaluate talent is questionable at best.

Saban's the ignorant one?

Your reasoning for saying Saban has to go is that he wants control and he's not nice to the media. :rolleyes2

Strong argument there.

Secondly, you say his ability to evaluate talent is questionable at best?

What exactly are you basing that on?

This is 1 season and 5 games into his tenure.
Since day one he's had to address and try to fill:

Offense:

QB
RB
Almost entire OL

Defense:

Entire DL except for 1 DE
LB
the entire secondary

With a salary cap, a set number of draft picks and a usual growth curve for rookies how on earth does a sane and rational man actually expect he possibly could have filled all those holes in 2 seasons of drafts and FA?

No rational person would.

I'm not saying Saban is a savior and I'm not about to claim any of his personell moves won't fail as any coach or GM will have failed moves. What I am saying is that it's way too early to be claiming it's time for him to go and it's certainly way too early to claim you know how good or bad his talent evaluation skills are at this point.

bigmiamifan
10-14-2006, 07:33 AM
HAHA, I love when people neglect facts when searching for results and reach an uneducated guess. There were 3 new faces on the OL before we had like 3 RGs get hurt. What could you possibly expect from that? Last year it took them half a season to gel, it will be the same this year at least because they aren't the same guys.

zonk4ever
10-14-2006, 07:53 AM
the issues with houck: other than carey (who was a 1st rounder plus a 4th to move up a spot) he has not "developed" anyone. Also his preference for extremely large OL seems out of touch with the better OL approaches. you can always go with the: "he can only work with what he has" but there's been a good number of OL go thru the Dolphins Roster since he's been there.

phishfan4life
10-14-2006, 10:16 AM
You open your post ranting about how Houck is underachieving in his teachings and failing as a coach. Then in an absurd turn follow up your argument stating that coaching only goes so far and it's obvious that the Phins players are the problems. :lol:

Which is it?
Classic!

Houck is a very respected coach in the league and comes with a solid pedigree. IMO the second part of your post is the correct part. If you look at the OL players we have, how many of them would any of you consider as having a solid pedigree as a player? Personally, I'd say just one. This OL does not have a base of players you'd look at and consider them anything more than avg. at best.

You're giving Houck a rash of crap for nothing here IMO.

No shiznit!
Who knew?

Saban's the ignorant one?

Your reasoning for saying Saban has to go is that he wants control and he's not nice to the media. :rolleyes2

Strong argument there.

Secondly, you say his ability to evaluate talent is questionable at best?

What exactly are you basing that on?

This is 1 season and 5 games into his tenure.
Since day one he's had to address and try to fill:

Offense:

QB
RB
Almost entire OL

Defense:

Entire DL except for 1 DE
LB
the entire secondary

With a salary cap, a set number of draft picks and a usual growth curve for rookies how on earth does a sane and rational man actually expect he possibly could have filled all those holes in 2 seasons of drafts and FA?

No rational person would.

I'm not saying Saban is a savior and I'm not about to claim any of his personell moves won't fail as any coach or GM will have failed moves. What I am saying is that it's way too early to be claiming it's time for him to go and it's certainly way too early to claim you know how good or bad his talent evaluation skills are at this point.

This is the best post I have seen yet......thank you for adding some rationality to this rant.

DolphinsFan23
10-14-2006, 10:24 AM
I keep hearing people talking about Houck this and Houck that, but what has Houk done for you or the Dolphins lately?

Did it ever occur to you that the players Houck coached made him the coach that he is instead of him making the players the offensive linemen that they are?

In the two years he has been here, I haven't seen anything special in his teachings whether it be techniques or schemes. Not one of our offensive linemen has exceeded or even met expectations with him as our OL coach.

The Dolphins players are showing that they just don't have the skills or the talent to be a good team. I didn't even say, very good or great. If you put a bunch of average players together you're going to end up with an average or in our case a below average team!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we start adding a regular mix of young Pro Bowl quality players at KEY GAME CHANGING POSITIONS then we will start winning not only games but the BIG GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our legendary coach Don Shula wasn't always Mr. Nice Guy with the press either. I'm sure there's plenty of guys at the Miami Herald who remember it.

Phanatical
10-14-2006, 10:52 AM
I keep hearing people talking about Houck this and Houck that, but what has Houk done for you or the Dolphins lately....

I disagree: Just last year he did a good job with guys who had done pitiful the year before.

I agree: This is exactly why your first statement is inaccurate. To quote "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****". He has to have SOMETHING to work with. This years group is simply pathetic. Shelton is really bad and James appears injured or something, slow as molasses.

Yes, absolutely. So why are you blaming Houck?

I think that is what Saban is trying to do. Of course, he took over a huge mess in terms of talent, salary cap, and an old defense.

Too controlling? That isn't necessarily bad for an NFL head coach.
Too ignorant? Based on what? Too much hostility in press conferences? Press conferences don't win games. A lot of good coaches hate talking to the press. (See Endorphin's next post on this one).
Ability to evaluate talent is questionable? I'll grant you that this years draft class doesn't appear to be working out too good yet, but he had a good draft last year and the jury is still out on this year. Toledo, Allen, and Hagan have not yet had a chance to prove they were worth the pick. Let's judge that after a year or two.

GO PHINS~!

endorphin
10-14-2006, 10:53 AM

YOU are right!!!!!!!...................................................Everyone ELSE is wrong!!!!

In the two years he has been here, I haven't seen anything special in his teachings whether it be techniques or schemes. Not one of our offensive linemen has exceeded or even met expectations with him as our OL coach..

Which techniques or schemes specifically are you speaking of. Funny how the rest of the football world see Houck as one of the, if not THE best o-line coach in the game and you have him pinned as a phony....Michael Moore, is that you?

...and Parcells (3rings), Belichik (3rings), Cowher, and Holngren are gentle souls that frollick through the daiseys singing The Sound of Music.

Aussiefinfan54
10-14-2006, 11:02 AM
i rekon the offensive line doesnt look so good because we seem to have atleast 3 new faces on it each year, how the hell is he supposed to coach guys up when he is on the way to teaching them and then next thing you know they are released and he has to start over again. surely the high player turn over would have something to do with it.