PDA

View Full Version : Fox fires Lyons after making racial remarks

BAMAPHIN 22
10-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Fox baseball broadcaster Steve Lyons has been fired for making a racially insensitive comment directed at colleague Lou Piniella’s Hispanic heritage on the air during Game 3 of the American League championship series.

The network confirmed Saturday that Lyons was dismissed after Friday’s game. He has been replaced for the remainder of the series by Los Angeles Angels announcer Jose Mota.

Piniella had made an analogy involving the luck of finding a wallet, then briefly used a couple of Spanish phrases during Friday’s broadcast.

Lyons said that Piniella was “hablaing Espanol” — butchering the conjugation for the word “to speak” — and added, “I still can’t find my wallet.”

“I don’t understand him, and I don’t want to sit too close to him now,” Lyons continued.

Lyons claimed he was kidding.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15263472/

MikeO
10-14-2006, 08:21 PM
he's a jerk. I am glad he lost his good job. Can't say stuff like that

Jt0323
10-14-2006, 08:37 PM
i was actually watching that game and heard that and was like did he just say that?

Roman529
10-14-2006, 09:40 PM
I guess maybe he and Harold Reynolds have learned their lessons.

cnc66
10-14-2006, 09:44 PM
I guess maybe he and Harold Reynolds have learned their lessons.

what did Harold say?

MikeO
10-14-2006, 10:52 PM
what did Harold say?

Harold was chasing skirts around the ESPN officies and grabbing body parts he shouldnt have been.

Rumor is Harold is getting the job at TBS for year when they get the weekly national games and the ALDS and NLDS games.

cnc66
10-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Harold was chasing skirts around the ESPN officies and grabbing body parts he shouldnt have been.

Rumor is Harold is getting the job at TBS for year when they get the weekly national games and the ALDS and NLDS games.

thanks Mike...I don't care much for baseball, but I did like Harold, I was just wondering.

Ray Finkle
10-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Maybe it's just me but I don't think what he said warrants being fired. He was just trying to be funny (unsuccessfully) but whatever.

Lyons wasn't going to get his contract renewed by FOX due to on going feuds with the company so I guess FOX looked at this being a way to cut him loose. If Buck or McCarver said that I doubt they'd get fired. Lyons is a good baseball man, not the best announcer, so he'll get other work somewhere else, if he wants it.

Rocky Raccoon
10-15-2006, 02:06 AM
well I feel stupid for saying this, but I don't even get what he said.

MikeO
10-15-2006, 02:11 AM
Maybe it's just me but I don't think what he said warrants being fired. He was just trying to be funny (unsuccessfully) but whatever.

Lyons wasn't going to get his contract renewed by FOX due to on going feuds with the company so I guess FOX looked at this being a way to cut him loose. If Buck or McCarver said that I doubt they'd get fired. Lyons is a good baseball man, not the best announcer, so he'll get other work somewhere else, if he wants it.

he mocked Pinella's heritage. He made an off color joke about his wallet (which wasn't funny he should be fired for that alone).

Ya just can't be saying that stuff on TV.

Rocky Raccoon
10-15-2006, 02:17 AM
wait a minute, he made a joke about Lou stealing his wallet, and that is racially isnensitive? How does race fit into that statement?

I'm so confused.

Ray Finkle
10-15-2006, 03:06 AM
he mocked Pinella's heritage. He made an off color joke about his wallet (which wasn't funny he should be fired for that alone).

Ya just can't be saying that stuff on TV.

Pinella made a comment about finding a wallet in referring to a player getting hot. And Lyons was responded by trying to make a joke about him never being able to find his wallet (due to the fact he was a career 2-something hitter) and failed. It wasn't race related, he didn't mock Pinella or his race in my opinion.

wait a minute, he made a joke about Lou stealing his wallet, and that is racially isnensitive? How does race fit into that statement?

I'm so confused.

If you read what Lou said first and what Lyons responded with it wasn't bad in my opinion. Lyons always tries to be a funny guy, sometimes he is and sometimes he failed. This time he failed. It wasn't like Lyons randomly said that he couldn't find his wallet and directed it at Pinella.

The only thing race lated was Lyons said hablaing instead of using the correct form of the word. I guess FOX should have fired McCarver for calling Bronson Arroyo, Brendan (because that's an obvious race related comment too right? :rolleyes: )

Vertical Limit
10-15-2006, 03:53 AM
i was actually watching that game and heard that and was like did he just say that?
Yeah, me too. I actually expected this news to come up sooner or later. That was uncalled for.

MikeO
10-15-2006, 10:01 AM

I'm so confused.

because a few seconds prior they were talking about Lou's hispanic heratige. Infereing that hispanics will steal your wallet.

RayFinkle can spin it anyway he wants.,...bottom line is that is how it came off. And how everyone took it even Lou!!

Not to mention he got Strike 1 a few years back when he mocked a special needs blind fan at the ballpark for wearing special eyeglasses to help him see a little. He said the guy had a digital camera stuck on his face.

The guy is a horrible human being who can't be trusted near a live mic!

Ray Finkle
10-15-2006, 02:41 PM
RayFinkle can spin it anyway he wants.,...bottom line is that is how it came off. And how everyone took it even Lou!!

My opinion is that what he said shouldn't have caused him to get fired. You're opinion is he should have been fired. That's fine. Let's just leave it at that.

RWhitney014
10-15-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't know, it seems pretty harmless to me. We are so reactionary to things. Should he have been reprimanded? Sure. Fired? Not necessarily. I think Fox was just glad to have a reason to let him go.

Nappy Roots
10-15-2006, 04:10 PM
i dont know, i think im just dumb in this situation. can someone explain what exactly happened in lamens terms.

MikeO
10-15-2006, 04:36 PM
When your on national TV broadcasting to the entire country, you can't say off color things. Whether he was joking or not it makes no difference. FOX can't and won't take the heat that follows.

If he was sitting in a bar then yes its no big deal. Hen you have a live mic on, you can't say what he said.

MikeO
10-15-2006, 04:38 PM
i dont know, i think im just dumb in this situation. can someone explain what exactly happened in lamens terms.

Pinella stared saying some "spanish" words speaking about how this one player had a hot bat and playing well. He was "enfugo" and stuff. Lou also said how one guy was playing for his wallet (meaning he is due for a big contract).

Lyons went off about he didn't feel safe sitting next to Lou (who is part hispanic) and that he was hiding his wallet (meaning that hispanics will steal and rob you).

Ray Finkle
10-15-2006, 05:39 PM
I don't know, it seems pretty harmless to me. We are so reactionary to things. Should he have been reprimanded? Sure. Fired? Not necessarily. I think Fox was just glad to have a reason to let him go.

I agree 100%. Like I said earlier in this thread, Lyons wasn't going to get his contract renewed at the end of the year because he was always in arguements with the Heads of Fox Sports. So Fox saw this is an opportunity to show him the door. They fired the guy as soon as he left the booth after the final out.

Again I pose the question if Buck or McCarver made those comments do you think they would have been fired?

finswin56
10-15-2006, 06:36 PM
This is another case of going PC overboard. Lyons tried to make a joke, it didn't work. I didn't see it as a racial joke, but a jab at Lou.

Mike O, wasn't that camera thing a week ago at the Mets/Dodgers series?
That wasn't an insenstive remark, it was just ignorant. I didn't know what the hell that guy had in front of his face either. That's not exactly a common device.

Quelonio
10-15-2006, 09:34 PM

Of course you wouldnt, but then again you are probably white. And no one was taking a shot at your heritage, and everything you represent... so no harm done.

Nappy Roots
10-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Pinella stared saying some "spanish" words speaking about how this one player had a hot bat and playing well. He was "enfugo" and stuff. Lou also said how one guy was playing for his wallet (meaning he is due for a big contract).

Lyons went off about he didn't feel safe sitting next to Lou (who is part hispanic) and that he was hiding his wallet (meaning that hispanics will steal and rob you).

ohhhh, no ****.

yea, he deserved to be fired.

Ray Finkle
10-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Of course you wouldnt, but then again you are probably white. And no one was taking a shot at your heritage, and everything you represent... so no harm done.

The only thing that I thought was race related in anyway was him saying "hablaing" instead of "habla". So I don't really see that as taking a shot at anyone heritage and everything anyone represents. Chalk it up to a mistake or whatever you want.

The whole wallet thing, he was trying to make a joke. It wasn't funny and in my opinion I didn't take the comments as "Hey Lou is hispanic, so I better check for my wallet". I think people are blowing this way out of whack.

And why assume I'm white?

MoFinz
10-15-2006, 10:02 PM
The only thing that I thought was race related in anyway was him saying "hablaing" instead of "habla". So I don't really see that as taking a shot at anyone heritage and everything anyone represents. Chalk it up to a mistake or whatever you want.

The whole wallet thing, he was trying to make a joke. It wasn't funny and in my opinion I didn't take the comments as "Hey Lou is hispanic, so I better check for my wallet". I think people are blowing this way out of whack.

And why assume I'm white?

because, he cant gnash teeth and wail to the Lord about it being racist if youre not.....:rolleyes:

DolphinDevil28
10-15-2006, 10:32 PM
I major in broadcast.

And the world is way too PC. Maybe what Lyons said is looked down upon in the TV world.

But look at it from the big picture. Was it really that bad?

Maybe if he would have left the last line out about, "I don't want to sit next to him" he would have been fine.

MikeO
10-15-2006, 10:35 PM
if the world is too PC. ANd if everyone knows its too PC.

THEN DON'T BE THE IDIOT AND SAY SOMETHING THAT IN A TOO PC WORLD WILL GET YOU FIRED!!!!

Lyons messed up. He got fired. FOX has to cover their own butts on this. They are doing the correct thing

Rocky Raccoon
10-15-2006, 10:59 PM
I agree with the "I don't think it was a racial thing" crowd, to me it was more a joke toward Lou, then a joke towards hispanics. But it doesn't really matter.

MikeO
10-15-2006, 11:21 PM
and Lou didn't take it as a joke.

When asked the next day about it he just said......Lyons isn't here and dropped it.

He didn't go out of his way to say its a misunderstanding or I hope he is back soon. Or anything like that.

Ray Finkle
10-15-2006, 11:28 PM
and Lou didn't take it as a joke.

When asked the next day about it he just said......Lyons isn't here and dropped it.

He didn't go out of his way to say its a misunderstanding or I hope he is back soon. Or anything like that.

Maybe because FOX is signing his checks? Going against their quick decision to fire the guy would make them (FOX) look bad and he doesn't want to step on anyone's toes because he might need them if he doesn't get/or take a managing job or he might need FOX in the future for income.

Just a thought, playing devil's advocate here.

MikeO
10-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Maybe because FOX is signing his checks? Going against their quick decision to fire the guy would make them (FOX) look bad and he doesn't want to step on anyone's toes because he might need them if he doesn't get/or take a managing job or he might need FOX in the future for income.

Just a thought, playing devil's advocate here.

:sidelol: :sidelol: He has taken the Cubs job according to reports and took it the middle of last week. He doesn't need FOX!

Ray Finkle
10-15-2006, 11:31 PM
:sidelol: :sidelol: He has taken the Cubs job according to reports and took it the middle of last week. He doesn't need FOX!

I guess you missed the part where I said "in the future". He might not need them now but what about 3 years from now if things don't work out with the Cubs. Bottom line is you never want to burn bridges with potential employers.

Because like you say it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

RWhitney014
10-16-2006, 12:50 AM

So that's what prevents Torry Holt from covering the draft for ESPN, right? Or Al Leiter, while he was still playing, announcing the NLCS every year? If Piniella already has the Cubs job, why is it still important for him to be doing the ALCS? Why would he even do it to begin with? He's got the money.

You, of all people, Mr. Money Talks and Is the Only Thing That Matters, should understand why Piniella would not undercut Fox. And maybe, just maybe, it's respect for Ed Goren and the rest of the folks who have employed him?

MikeO
10-16-2006, 12:54 AM
He still wouldn't need FOX. Your missing the point. He has no reason. This isn't the NFL with only ESPN, NBC, FOX, and CBS.

About 35 entities cover MLB!!

FinsNYanksFan13
10-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Lyons should have been fired. Since when is it right to generalize a whole race of people? If he would have said something about African Americans or about Whites the world would be up in arms. What because he gerealized hispanic people it's OK? He had to be fired. I bet you a lot of hispanics in baseball were upset about this, not just Lou Pinella. He generalized the hispanic population in a negative way and baseball has the most hispanic people of any of the four major sports. I don't say this often but Fox did the right thing!

LightsOut
10-16-2006, 02:19 AM
"Piniella said that expecting similar production (from A's shortstop Marco Scutaro, who hit well in the divisional series against Minnesosta) would be "like finding a wallet on a Friday night and looking for one on Sunday and Monday, too."

Four minutes later, they had moved to different subjects and Piniella said something in Spanish. "The bilingual Lou Piniella," Brennaman said.

Lyons said: "Lou's habla'ing some Español there, and I'm still looking for my wallet. I don't understand him and I don't want to sit close to him now." The three laughed and continued calling the game."

what is racist about that? the wallet comment was just a play on what Lou said about finding wallets.

phinman1
10-16-2006, 12:36 PM
What a pansy society we live in, as nobody can have hurt feelings. That's assuming this statement even hurt anyone's feelings, and if it did, he or she needs to toughen up. What a hypocritical bunch of meaningless crap. Political correctness is a plague upon the land. The only people you can make fun of in this country and get away with it is the white male.

MoFinz
10-16-2006, 12:49 PM
So, Lyons makes a joke and gets fired because someone gets offended.

Someone wants to make English the official language of the US and someone gets offended, so the English language supporter is told to quiet down and dont antagonize immigrants who dont want to learn English

Yeah, theres no problem here.......

Motion
10-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Hmmm, Never knew Pinella was part Hispanic.

RWhitney014
10-16-2006, 02:09 PM
He still wouldn't need FOX. Your missing the point. He has no reason. This isn't the NFL with only ESPN, NBC, FOX, and CBS.

About 35 entities cover MLB!!

No, you're missing the point. FOX covers the majority of MLB. You know how virtually every single team's main carrier is FSN, as in Fox Sports Network?

But that's not even the point. The point is, Piniella, no matter what his personal feelings are, is not going to undercut someone who has employed him in the past and will in the future if he wants to be employed. It's not a matter of "need", it's a matter of keeping opportunities open.

tucker
10-16-2006, 03:23 PM
eh..i didnt think it was that bad

UCFinfan86
10-16-2006, 03:48 PM
eh..i didnt think it was that bad:yeahthat:

i don't get the big deal.

I am half polish, wouldn't it be the same thing as people saying things about polish people being polacks and being stupid? I think its funny when people do that. People need to lighten up, and how come if Steve Lyons was hispanic and he said it, then it would be alright?

Ray Finkle
10-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Hmmm, Never knew Pinella was part Hispanic.

Join the club no one else did either.

Ray Finkle
10-16-2006, 05:45 PM
No, you're missing the point. FOX covers the majority of MLB. You know how virtually every single team's main carrier is FSN, as in Fox Sports Network?

But that's not even the point. The point is, Piniella, no matter what his personal feelings are, is not going to undercut someone who has employed him in the past and will in the future if he wants to be employed. It's not a matter of "need", it's a matter of keeping opportunities open.

100% correct.

Plain and simple, Pinella has to "be a good soldier".

If Pinella backs Lyons, he makes FOX look like idiots for firing the guy as soon as the game was over. If he kills Lyons then he looks bad because he apparently laughed after the "joke" was made. Lou's best bet was to just shut up, which he did.

Rocky Raccoon
10-16-2006, 10:31 PM
"Piniella said that expecting similar production (from A's shortstop Marco Scutaro, who hit well in the divisional series against Minnesosta) would be "like finding a wallet on a Friday night and looking for one on Sunday and Monday, too."

Four minutes later, they had moved to different subjects and Piniella said something in Spanish. "The bilingual Lou Piniella," Brennaman said.

Lyons said: "Lou's habla'ing some Español there, and I'm still looking for my wallet. I don't understand him and I don't want to sit close to him now." The three laughed and continued calling the game."

what is racist about that? the wallet comment was just a play on what Lou said about finding wallets.

this is exactly how I feel...I thought of it more as a play towards Lou, then a racist comment about hispanics.

Ray Finkle
10-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Here's a youtube clip of what was said during the game (it's about 30 seconds in):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FWf1a6O4hv8

You can clearly hear all 3 announcers laughing as soon as Lyons said both the wallet comment and the I don't want to sit near him one. I wish the clip had what Lou said firstand then Lyon's comments, but at least we get to hear what Lyons said. But after listening to it a few times I still don't feel that what he said was bad. Just way overblown by FOX.

Rocky Raccoon
10-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Here's a youtube clip of what was said during the game (it's about 30 seconds in):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FWf1a6O4hv8

You can clearly hear all 3 announcers laughing as soon as Lyons said both the wallet comment and the I don't want to sit near him one. I wish the clip had what Lou said firstand then Lyon's comments, but at least we get to hear what Lyons said. But after listening to it a few times I still don't feel that what he said was bad. Just way overblown by FOX.

and I think the comment he made making fun of the blind guy was much much worse.

Ray Finkle
10-16-2006, 11:12 PM
and I think the comment he made making fun of the blind guy was much much worse.

Without question that comment was in bad taste. But I know if I saw someone wearing that head set thing I wouldn't know the guy was blind nor would I know what it is. I've never seen that before.

RWhitney014
10-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Oh, come on, they're all laughing. This is ridiculous. He didn't mean anything by it. You can even tell by the tone in his voice that he was not serious at all. I don't care that he's gone because he was only okay as a broadcaster, but this is going to make a lot of broadcasters think twice about being humorous on the air. And that's a shame.

Ray Finkle
10-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Oh, come on, they're all laughing. This is ridiculous. He didn't mean anything by it. You can even tell by the tone in his voice that he was not serious at all. I don't care that he's gone because he was only okay as a broadcaster, but this is going to make a lot of broadcasters think twice about being humorous on the air. And that's a shame.

Well the hypocritical part is that FOX told Steve Lyons to really play into his "Psycho" nickname and to crack jokes and do crazy stuff for their segments in the pre/post game stuff. They wanted to really market his nickname.

I agree I don't think Lyons was a great announcer but the guy deserved better than what he got. Especially since he was one of the first people FOX hired when they started Saturday baseball back in 1996 and had been with the company for 10 years.

Prime Time
10-17-2006, 02:49 AM
because a few seconds prior they were talking about Lou's hispanic heratige. Infereing that hispanics will steal your wallet.

Not to mention he got Strike 1 a few years back when he mocked a special needs blind fan at the ballpark for wearing special eyeglasses to help him see a little. He said the guy had a digital camera stuck on his face.

The guy is a horrible human being who can't be trusted near a live mic!

Weeks not years. But I agree with you. His firing was well deserved. Should've been sooner.

finswin56
10-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Without question that comment was in bad taste. But I know if I saw someone wearing that head set thing I wouldn't know the guy was blind nor would I know what it is. I've never seen that before.The firing was horribly knee jerk. Also, the Fox producers wouldn't stop showing that guy at Shea Stadium. It seemed like Lyons and co. felt compelled to talk about it. It was wrong, but more so about the tone which came across as mean spirited. Fact is, almost no one had any idea what that guy was wearing over his eyes.

Ray Finkle
10-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Here's a great article on the Lyons' firing:

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/otherMLB/view.bg?articleid=162708&format=&page=1

You want to know what the best part of the article was? Lyons was eating dinner WITH Pinella when he got the phone call saying he was fired. Now obviously if Pinella was mad about the comment you'd think he wouldn't go out to dinner with the guy on the same night.

Unbelieveble how bad FOX dropped the ball on this one.

Also, apparently the Dodgers didn't think what Lyons said was worthy of a pink slip because they have came out and said Lyons will be their announcer for the 2007 season. Oh by the way Dodger games are shown on FSN- FOX Sports Network.

Rocky Raccoon
10-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Here's a great article on the Lyons' firing:

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/otherMLB/view.bg?articleid=162708&format=&page=1

You want to know what the best part of the article was? Lyons was eating dinner WITH Pinella when he got the phone call saying he was fired. Now obviously if Pinella was mad about the comment you'd think he wouldn't go out to dinner with the guy on the same night.

Unbelieveble how bad FOX dropped the ball on this one.

Also, apparently the Dodgers didn't think what Lyons said was worthy of a pink slip because they have came out and said Lyons will be their announcer for the 2007 season. Oh by the way Dodger games are shown on FSN- FOX Sports Network.
:link:

and I agree with that article, no harm at all with what Lyons said.

Ray Finkle
10-17-2006, 06:50 PM
:link:

and I agree with that article, no harm at all with what Lyons said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2629160

Happy now? :shakeno:

Rocky Raccoon
10-17-2006, 06:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2629160

Happy now? :shakeno:

:yes:

Ray Finkle
10-17-2006, 07:01 PM
:yes:

:sidelol:

Good!

RWhitney014
10-17-2006, 07:11 PM
bottom line is that is how it came off. And how everyone took it even Lou!!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sns-ap-bbo-lyons-piniella,0,7975230.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines

Enjoy.

Mike13
10-17-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm hispanic and I didn't find that racist. Lyons was joking why else would Lou and the other guy be laughing?

Nappy Roots
10-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Piniella: Lyons meant no harm, firing 'unfortunate' (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2630050)

CHICAGO -- New Chicago Cubs (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=chn) manager Lou Piniella called the firing of Fox baseball broadcaster Steve Lyons "an unfortunate thing" and said he thought his TV colleague was just kidding when he made a racially insensitive comment.

"There isn't a racist bone in his body. Not one," Piniella said Tuesday. "I've known the guy personally. He was kidding with me, nothing more and nothing less. It was an unfortunate thing."

Lyons was dismissed after Game 3 of the AL Championship Series on Friday for his on-air comment while working the Oakland-Detroit game with Piniella.
Piniella made an analogy involving the luck of finding a wallet, then briefly used a couple of Spanish phrases during Friday's broadcast.

Lyons claimed he was kidding and Piniella accepted that explanation.

"If I offended anybody, I'm truly sorry," Lyons said. "But my comment about Lou taking my wallet was a joke and in no way racially motivated."

MikeO
10-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Lou is a little late in covering Lyons butt!!

He should have went public as soon as he was fired. Not a week later!! I got a feeling with his new job Lou just wanted no part of any of this so he squashed it!

BAMAPHIN 22
10-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Lyons keeps job on Dodgers telecasts

Fired Fox announcer Steve Lyons got backing on two fronts Tuesday: He can keep his part-time broadcasting job with the Los Angeles Dodgers if he completes diversity training, and Lou Piniella came to his defense.

Lyons was fired over the weekend for making a racially insensitive comment while on the air with Piniella during the AL championship series.

"There isn't a racist bone in his body. Not one," Piniella said after being introduced as manager of the Chicago Cubs. "I've known the guy personally.
He was kidding with me, nothing more and nothing less."

Piniella called Lyons' firing "an unfortunate thing."

Lyons was dismissed after Friday's Game 3 of the ALCS between Oakland and Detroit.

The Dodgers said Lyons would remain on the job for FSN Prime Ticket "upon the completion of diversity training and under probationary guidelines." Lyons works with Charley Steiner on the 40-plus road games that Vin Scully doesn't do.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/specials/playoffs/2006/10/17/lyons.update.ap/index.html

MikeO
10-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Lyons keeps job on Dodgers telecasts

Fired Fox announcer Steve Lyons got backing on two fronts Tuesday: He can keep his part-time broadcasting job with the Los Angeles Dodgers if he completes diversity training, and Lou Piniella came to his defense.

Lyons was fired over the weekend for making a racially insensitive comment while on the air with Piniella during the AL championship series.

"There isn't a racist bone in his body. Not one," Piniella said after being introduced as manager of the Chicago Cubs. "I've known the guy personally.
He was kidding with me, nothing more and nothing less."

Piniella called Lyons' firing "an unfortunate thing."

Lyons was dismissed after Friday's Game 3 of the ALCS between Oakland and Detroit.

The Dodgers said Lyons would remain on the job for FSN Prime Ticket "upon the completion of diversity training and under probationary guidelines." Lyons works with Charley Steiner on the 40-plus road games that Vin Scully doesn't do.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/specials/playoffs/2006/10/17/lyons.update.ap/index.html

there ya go. Everyone makes out in the end. Lyons won't be at a soup kitchen by you anytime soon!