PDA

View Full Version : 6.6 Quake Knocks Out Power Across Hawaii

Celtkin
10-15-2006, 06:13 PM
[Myway.com (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061015/D8KP9R980.html)] A strong earthquake shook Hawaii early Sunday, causing a landslide that blocked a major highway on Hawaii Island and knocking out power across the state, authorities said.

The state Civil Defense had unconfirmed reports of injuries, but communication problems prevented more definite reports. People were also trapped in elevators in Oahu, authorities said.

Gov. Linda Lingle said in a radio interview with KSSK from Hawaii Island that she had no report of any fatalities. She said boulders fell on highways, rock walls collapsed and television had been knocked off stands.

"We were rocking and rolling," said Anne LaVasseur, who was on the second floor of a two-story, wood-framed house on the east side of the Big Island when the temblor struck. "I was pretty scared. We were swaying back and forth, like King Kong's pushing your house back and forth."

The quake hit at 7:07 a.m. local time, 10 miles north-northwest of Kailua Kona, a town on the west coast of the Big Island, said Don Blakeman, a geophysicist at the National Earthquake Information Center, part of the U.S. Geological Survey.

The Pacific Tsunami Center reported a preliminary magnitude of 6.5, while the U.S. Geological Survey gave a preliminary magnitude of 6.6. It was followed by several strong aftershocks, including one measuring a magnitude of 5.8, the Geological Survey said.

mor911
10-15-2006, 06:20 PM
that sucks.... Agent, you alright?

Nappy Roots
10-15-2006, 08:31 PM
yea, thats what i was thinkin. hopefully Agent came out of that OK.

Wombat
10-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Dag. Good thing it wasn't a Tsunami.

Celtkin
10-15-2006, 08:56 PM
There is also HansMojo....

How are things,bro? Can we do anything for you or Agent, we are here for you.

cnc66
10-15-2006, 09:01 PM
good thing the mountain side (volcano) didn't break off and slid into the ocean....I wonder if the crack got bigger.

icephinfan
10-15-2006, 11:24 PM
I still haven't heard from my Aunts and Uncles in Hawaii yet. It hit pretty close to where they live.

lazareth
10-15-2006, 11:24 PM
isn't alb0b0 there too?

Roman529
10-16-2006, 12:20 AM
isn't alb0b0 there too?

Yeah I think Albobo is on the Big Island which got most of the damage.

d-day
10-16-2006, 01:29 AM
my thoughts are with agent, hans and albobo - hope you guys are ok

NewEra8
10-16-2006, 04:04 AM
my thoughts are with agent, hans and albobo - hope you guys are ok

Exactly...

....atleast until I find out you're ok, then go back to hating you for living in Hawaii... :tantrum:

icephinfan
10-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Good news, heard from my family in Hawaii, the power was out all day yesterday.:whew:

lazareth
10-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Good news, heard from my family in Hawaii, the power was out all day yesterday.:whew: glad your peeps are safe ice

hoping for the best for the other members and their friends and family over there...

icephinfan
10-16-2006, 05:13 PM
glad your peeps are safe ice

hoping for the best for the other members and their friends and family over there...

Thanks Laz, appreciate that.

Hope the other fella'z are ok as well.

HansMojo
10-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Hey thanks for the concern you guys. I love finheaven (*wipes away a tear)

Other than some water sloshing out of my aquarium and a day without power, we had no significant personal damage. We just turned it into a family day and went over to my dad's house and spent most of the day in the pool. Hopefully alb0b0 and agent came out of it ok as well. I don't think there was much damage to Oahu. Most of the damage was actually on the Big Island. They got hit pretty hard over there. It was actually kind of fun for me personally.

I was also in the 7.1 that hit San Francisco back in the 90's doing all that major damage as well as the 8.1 that hit Guam. Those felt significantly stronger and obviously did more damage. During the 8.1 (which some experts say was actually an 8.2 on the surface of Guam because of the shape of the island) I actually thought the world was coming to an end. I can't even begin to express what that felt like. It was crazy man. Crazy. Lasted a whole minute and we had non stop aftershocks for weeks. Big aftershocks. Nothing can prepare you for an 8.1 earthquake. NOTHING ! ! ! !

Anyway, I was heading out the door when I saw this and am already late. I'll be back tonight. Just wanted to let everyone know I was OK. Much aloha to all.

like2god
10-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Good news, heard from my family in Hawaii, the power was out all day yesterday.:whew:

Hey thanks for the concern you guys. I love finheaven (*wipes away a tear)

Other than some water sloshing out of my aquarium and a day without power, we had no significant personal damage. We just turned it into a family day and went over to my dad's house and spent most of the day in the pool. Hopefully alb0b0 and agent came out of it ok as well. I don't think there was much damage to Oahu. Most of the damage was actually on the Big Island. They got hit pretty hard over there. It was actually kind of fun for me personally.

I was also in the 7.1 that hit San Francisco back in the 90's doing all that major damage as well as the 8.1 that hit Guam. Those felt significantly stronger and obviously did more damage. During the 8.1 (which some experts say was actually an 8.2 on the surface of Guam because of the shape of the island) I actually thought the world was coming to an end. I can't even begin to express what that felt like. It was crazy man. Crazy. Lasted a whole minute and we had non stop aftershocks for weeks. Big aftershocks. Nothing can prepare you for an 8.1 earthquake. NOTHING ! ! ! !

Anyway, I was heading out the door when I saw this and am already late. I'll be back tonight. Just wanted to let everyone know I was OK. Much aloha to all.

Glad to hear that everything is okay guys. Hope agent and albobo are alright.

Agent51
10-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I'm OK, glad to see Hans is OK too. I'm not familiar with Albobo, is he/she new? Anyway, O'ahu didn't get hit that hard, the center of the quakle was oer on the Big Island. I had a few picture frames fall over and my Suzuki GSX-R600 tipped and fell into my new GSX-R1000, but luckily they were near the wall and tipped that way, so they tipped into a leaning position against the wall instead of crashing to the ground so there isn't even a scratch on them.

I've been in earthquakes before since I used to spend a lot of time in Southern California (Ventura), so this one didn't scare me, it just shocked me, lol. I didn't really think of Hawai'i as an earthquake place, at least O'ahu anyway. If there HAS been an earthquake in the four years I've lived here, I must've been traveling at the time, because I've never felt one.

The power outtage thing was kind of cool actually. I mean, I'm usually out and about all day anyway so it's not like I was missing TV or anything, lol. I went down to Waikiki and checked it out. Everything was off and dark and the usually tourist-packed area was almost deserted, I had never seen it like that before. Aside from a few convienience stores open (and only letting one or two people in at a time), there was nothing. It was kind of cool and I wish I had taken pictures, but I didn't even think of bringing my camera since there wasn't really any damage to the island outside of the power outtage.

Scatman
10-17-2006, 01:45 PM
hope bj penn is doing alright

Roman529
10-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Hope Alb0b0 is ok...he is our picture source for Brit in the LL. :boohoo: