PDA

View Full Version : With the X-th pick, the Dolphins get...Brady Quinn

maddendude
10-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Lets look at the worst teams in the league by record. (List posted below). Out of these teams, the teams that need a QB are: Detroit, KC

Now we know KC will win a bunch more games when Green comes back, so they're out of the picture. Detroit is who we’re competing with. Lions have a few winnable games left. One against us will be big (we’ll whup their ***, but yea)

My point is, not a lot of teams NEED QBs. We are one of the teams that do. Brady is perfect. He’s like Carson Palmer from a few years ago. He’s playing under Weis. You cant really have a better QB coming out of college than him.

Worst:
-Oakland-Walters

Then:
-Tampa-Grad, Simms
-Cleveland-Frye
-Tennessee-Young
-Houston-Carr
-Detroit-
-Green Bay-Rodgers
-Arizona-Leinart

Then:
-Buffalo-Losman
-Kansas City-
-Washington-Campbell
-San Fran-Smith

PhinFan0202
10-15-2006, 09:34 PM
I agree that right now our QB situation is looking bleak but i don't think that's the direction that we going to go with in the draft. I'm thinking the o-line and defense is where we are going to go first. If they drafted Brady Quinn though i would not be unhappy with the pick. If Calvin Johnson was on the board it would be a hell of a choice to make.

SQuinn17
10-15-2006, 09:39 PM
calvin johnson or ted ginn jr.....the raiders need a qb and theyll take quinn. we need playmakers!!!!!!!!

shanem40
10-15-2006, 09:40 PM
oakland needs a qb

campeonaso
10-15-2006, 09:40 PM
the raiders do need a qb, and more than any other team in the nfl

jlfin
10-15-2006, 09:44 PM
I agree that right now our QB situation is looking bleak but i don't think that's the direction that we going to go with in the draft. I'm thinking the o-line and defense is where we are going to go first. If they drafted Brady Quinn though i would not be unhappy with the pick. If Calvin Johnson was on the board it would be a hell of a choice to make.

If Quinn is there, Saban would be foolish to pass on him. It's not very often that a team gets an opportunity to draft a big time QB. You have to capitalize on it when you get the chance, otherwise you end up with a QB carousel like we've had since Marino retired.
It is much easier to plug holes on the O-line and defense in rds 2-5 and through FA.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-15-2006, 09:45 PM
the raiders won't draft a QB, so forget about them.

Lester
10-15-2006, 09:58 PM
a rookie qb will not help our team. I say a lineman or linebacker who can blow some people up.

jlfin
10-15-2006, 10:01 PM
a rookie qb will not help our team. I say a lineman or linebacker who can blow some people up.

So I guess no team should ever draft a QB to build their team around. Tell that to Aikman, Elway, Manning. The Dolphins aren't in a position to contend any time soon, so they have to rebuild. That starts with a QB.

dominizzo
10-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Is Brady Quinn that great

PhinFan0202
10-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Is Brady Quinn that great

He looked really good last year but alot of people say he has happy feet.

unifiedtheory
10-15-2006, 11:30 PM
If we draft a QB I'll eat my baseball cap...

We need more the Brady Quinn to save this team. O-line, corner, defensive tackle, outside linebacker, speed reciever, back up running back....those are all MUCH bigger needs then Q.B.

Majpain
10-16-2006, 01:22 AM
As it stands right now we could get Troy Smith in the second :wink:

WelcomeBack
10-16-2006, 01:30 AM
I wouldn't mind Troy Smith in the second (doubt he makes it that far), but in the first, we need a person to BLOCK for the QB. Either an O-Lineman, or an impact defensive player.

305TillIDie
10-16-2006, 01:40 AM
As it stands right now we could get Troy Smith in the second :wink:I wouldnt mind getting him around that area..that kid got a cannon

Desides
10-16-2006, 01:41 AM
I disagree with the entire premise of this thread. We don't need a new QB. We have Culpepper, Harrington, and Lemon. We are set at QB, even if you aren't happy with the current performance of the first two. A healthy Culpepper will lead this team for the next six years, Harrington will likely become 3rd- or 4th-round trade bait, and Lemon is our future #2. We don't need to pick up a QB for several years, unless we plan to immediately trade him (see Eli Manning.)

We need to focus on the defense in this draft. Taylor, Thomas, and all the rest are not getting younger, and they'll be gone in a couple of years. We could probably stand to draft an offensive lineman in the first or second rounds, but I'm hesitant to jump on board that bandwagon because this line has suffered injuries abound. I'd also like to see us get a new kicker on the second day, because Mare is done.

Majpain
10-16-2006, 01:50 AM
We draft someone in the secondary for our 1st pick. Then in 08 we draft JAMES LAURENITIS!

WelcomeBack
10-16-2006, 01:54 AM
We draft someone in the secondary for our 1st pick. Then in 08 we draft JAMES LAURENITIS!

If we go secondary, we definitely gotta look towards Landry for a safety.

I hope that Antoine Cason comes out...I think that kids going to be something really good.

PhinFan0202
10-16-2006, 01:54 AM
We need to draft O-line or defense. If we get a shot at a top tier QB than we might have to take it.

maddendude
10-16-2006, 02:09 AM
Al Davis is locked on Walters, Raiders arent gonna get quinn.

And with the way culpepper was playing, he's not the future. Culpepper averaged over 5 sacks a game, and with the same Oline, Harrington is averaging 0.5 sacks a game. Thats 10 times more sacks a game! WTF! Culpepper just cant read defenses very well.

Last year when Alex Smith was a rookie, he constantly got sacked, threw plenty of picks, was pressured all the time. Well in his second year, with basically the same offense (Davis is injured, so is Jennings and Allen), worse Wide receivers, He's doing MUCH better. My point is, sometimes its the QB who makes the Oline look bad.
Look at Aaron Brooks, who got sacked so many times in New Orleans, he had 30+ sacked for 5 years in a row there, and now Brees is averaging 1 sack per game, the difference in the O-line...basically they got rid of Bentley and got McNeil. Which isnt a whole lot.

Majpain
10-16-2006, 02:11 AM
Al Davis is locked on Walters, Raiders arent gonna get quinn.

And with the way culpepper was playing, he's not the future. Culpepper averaged over 5 sacks a game, and with the same Oline, Harrington is averaging 0.5 sacks a game. Thats 10 times more sacks a game! WTF! Culpepper just cant read defenses very well.

Last year when Alex Smith was a rookie, he constantly got sacked, threw plenty of picks, was pressured all the time. Well in his second year, with basically the same offense (Davis is injured, so is Jennings and Allen), worse Wide receivers, He's doing MUCH better. My point is, sometimes its the QB who makes the Oline look bad.
Look at Aaron Brooks, who got sacked so many times in New Orleans, he had 30+ sacked for 5 years in a row there, and now Brees is averaging 1 sack per game, the difference in the O-line...basically they got rid of Bentley and got McNeil. Which isnt a whole lot.

Great post.

Desides
10-16-2006, 02:35 AM

Do you watch games, or look at stats? The argument has done to death, but Culpepper wasn't getting sacked because his reads sucked. A healthy Culpepper is our future at QB, period. The only way we'll draft a QB is if Culpepper or Harrington die in freak accidents.

I'm not sure if using our first-round pick on the secondary for two years straight is the right way to go, but we definitely could use defensive draft picks.

DonShula84
10-16-2006, 02:38 AM

Based on the title I expected your post to be a little different :wink:

maddendude
10-16-2006, 10:29 AM
I watch the games that are on TV. I think there were 2 on national TV this year. The first game for sure, dont remember the second one. For the rest I just watch yahoo gametracker. :(

You say CUlpepper is our leader, well we cant just blindly hand him the starting spot if we dont even know he's good enough to lead the team. He wasnt that great without moss either. But I also think he should be given a second chance when he's fully healed, but if it turns out that he's the same, we're EXACTLY where we were 2-3 years ago, good team but no QB.
Culpepper is a gamble, and thats why i think we need some gambling insurance.

I'm trying to think of examples...
like the Chargers getting Rivers, and Brees turns out to be a pro-bowler. Well eventually the guy with more potential is in.

or Like plummer, he was so good last season, he had 1 bad game in the playoffs, and they draft Cutler. They see that cutler has more potential, so eventually he'll be in. And it turns out that that was a great decision, cuz Plummer looks like he was just a one hit wonder.

Basically, everyone is trying to find the next Dan Marino. Or the next Brady...but I dont think we have any Brady type of players on our team, maybee Lemon? Hows lemon? Bruce Gradowski is a brady IMO.

Phinz4Life
10-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Calvin Johnson. :)

Or Patrick Willis.

DolfanDaveInATX
10-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Let me see if I get this straight. Within the last year, we've used three draft picks to acquire quarterbacks and you want to use our top pick next year on another? Have you seen L.J. Shelton or Damion McIntosh attempt to play left tackle? :fatman:

PhinFan0202
10-16-2006, 01:57 PM
I watch the games that are on TV. I think there were 2 on national TV this year. The first game for sure, dont remember the second one. For the rest I just watch yahoo gametracker. :(

You say CUlpepper is our leader, well we cant just blindly hand him the starting spot if we dont even know he's good enough to lead the team. He wasnt that great without moss either. But I also think he should be given a second chance when he's fully healed, but if it turns out that he's the same, we're EXACTLY where we were 2-3 years ago, good team but no QB.
Culpepper is a gamble, and thats why i think we need some gambling insurance.

I'm trying to think of examples...
like the Chargers getting Rivers, and Brees turns out to be a pro-bowler. Well eventually the guy with more potential is in.

or Like plummer, he was so good last season, he had 1 bad game in the playoffs, and they draft Cutler. They see that cutler has more potential, so eventually he'll be in. And it turns out that that was a great decision, cuz Plummer looks like he was just a one hit wonder.

Basically, everyone is trying to find the next Dan Marino. Or the next Brady...but I dont think we have any Brady type of players on our team, maybee Lemon? Hows lemon? Bruce Gradowski is a brady IMO.

I agree 100%. Culpepper is like Kordell Stuart. When he only has to do minimal things (Throw the deep ball and run for the first down) he looks good. When you ask him to make reads and do other things out of the relm of simplicity he sucks. Think about it this way...

Kordell(2001)- Has a pro bowl year makes it to the AFC Championship and throws the int to give the win to the Pats.(2002) The Steelers are sucking at the beginning of the season and he gets benched in favor of Tommy Maddox who leads the team to a close loss in the AFC Divisional against the Titans(29-28 I think). Where is Kordell now who knows?

Dante-(2004) Has his best season as a pro throwing for 39 TD passes and 11 ints. Even though Moss is not in most of the plays defenses still have to respect him.(2005) Moss gets traded and the team is now Dantes. He has to do more for the offense without Randy Moss and he throws a surprising 6-12 ratio of Ints-TDs. Culpepper gets hurt and Brad Johson comes in to lead the same exact team to 9-7. The Vikins are now 3-2 WITHOUT Culpepper.

Who knows if Dante is going to turn it around for us at this point? There is no gurentee that he's going to do so and with a risk like that why would you not draft a QB? Worked out for San Diego didn't it? As much as i hope he does turn it around i just don't know if he can. We don't have to pick a QB in the firs but i would strongly consider it.

Alex44
10-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Im going to cry if we draft Quinn.....basically he is Joey Harrington. Sytem QB with a lot more hype than actual production....why do we need a rookie Harrington when we have a veteran one?

Calvin Johnson is my man

PhinFan0202
10-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Im going to cry if we draft Quinn.....basically he is Joey Harrington. Sytem QB with a lot more hype than actual production....why do we need a rookie Harrington when we have a veteran one?

Calvin Johnson is my man

I would trade Chambers to go up and get him. Unlike Chambers this guy can actually catch the football when it's thrown to him. He's the got size and speed to be a legit #1 receiver.

Alex44
10-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I would trade Chambers to go up and get him. Unlike Chambers this guy can actually catch the football when it's thrown to him. He's the got size and speed to be a legit #1 receiver.

The first time I saw Johnson was vs Miami his first season playing, I thought he was a senior before they showed his info, he was that good.

Joe Thomas is also a great pick if we go O-line

PhinFan0202
10-16-2006, 02:11 PM
The first time I saw Johnson was vs Miami his first season playing, I thought he was a senior before they showed his info, he was that good.

Joe Thomas is also a great pick if we go O-line

We need O-line probably more than anything. The only thing that will prevent us from getting a top O-linemen is if Calvin Johnson is available or we do draft a QB which i doubt.

Vertical Limit
10-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Do you watch games, or look at stats? The argument has done to death, but Culpepper wasn't getting sacked because his reads sucked. A healthy Culpepper is our future at QB, period. The only way we'll draft a QB is if Culpepper or Harrington die in freak accidents.

I'm not sure if using our first-round pick on the secondary for two years straight is the right way to go, but we definitely could use defensive draft picks.
A healthy Culpepper is our future? Okay doctor, you are telling me that Culpepper will be healthy 100% next year, and will be a pro bowl QB after 3 years seperated from pro bowl form?

THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES THAT CULPEPPER WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN. Jesus Christ.

He's nothing but a science fair project now, and right now, the hypothesis we had on him has been incorrect, and the result so far costed us him sitting on the bench as our 3rd string QB, a 2nd round pick, and tons of money in the salary cap.

Untill Culpepper does anything in Miami, then you can say he's the future. But as of right now, he has shown nothing to warrant that.

Turning 30 this January, an old 30 not a young 30 as he does look like he's aging fast, so that means our future has 4-5 "good years" ahead of him, that's if he can somehow return to pro bowl form, a form that I again say, hasn't been there in 2 years. We'll be lucky if we get as much production from him as Baltimore gets from Steve McNair.

There are no guarantee's about his health, and about him ever being the same again. I am rooting for the guy, but I am just tired of people using his past to say that our future looks good.

If everyone had a mindset like that, then McNair and the Baltimore offense should be Top 5 in the league right now, as he was an MVP in 2003.

adamprez2003
10-16-2006, 03:54 PM
There are so many positions we could go with that I dont really care if we get a QB or not if we do though I would go with Brian Brohm over Quinn. Brohm is far superior in every way but mobility. Maybe we bring in Marino to teach him the one step evasion in the pocket he was so good at

I would be happy with any of these players

QB Brian Brohm
WR Calvin Johnson
OT Joe Thomas
DE Gaines Adams
ILB Patrick Willis
CB Leon Hall/ Fred Bennett/ Marcus McCauley
S Laron Landry/ Michael Griffin

Obviously where we draft would have a big impact on who we draft

Phinz4Life
10-16-2006, 03:59 PM
There are so many positions we could go with that I dont really care if we get a QB or not if we do though I would go with Brian Brohm over Quinn. Brohm is far superior in every way but mobility. Maybe we bring in Marino to teach him the one step evasion in the pocket he was so good at

I would be happy with any of these players

QB Brian Brohm
WR Calvin Johnson
OT Joe Thomas
DE Gaines Adams
ILB Patrick Willis
CB Leon Hall/ Fred Bennett/ Marcus McCauley
S Laron Landry/ Michael Griffin

Obviously where we draft would have a big impact on who we draft

I'd be more than happy getting Willis.

Not only is he a great player, but an ABSOLUTE GREAT character. You won't ever have those concerns if you draft him.

Desides
10-16-2006, 04:29 PM
THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES THAT CULPEPPER WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN. Jesus Christ.

No one has said that he needs to be. Culpepper in 2004 put up one of the best seasons a QB has ever had. It would be great if we got that Culpepper, but at the same time, he doesn't need to be in order to be successful.

If you have a problem with Culpepper being our future at QB, take it up with Nick Saban.

DonShula84
10-16-2006, 05:18 PM

Calvin Johnson is my man

Yeah he hasnt produced at all :shakeno: Tedford system (I believe) vs pro system also. Weis isnt running a Spurrier offense. Not to mention physically Quinn is far superior to Harrington. I'm not saying we should draft Quinn though, but he has a lot more potential then Harrington imo.

But I'd love Calvin Johnson also

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-16-2006, 06:42 PM
if quinn is a system QB, then i'll take him, because that system has won 3 super bowls.

Desides
10-16-2006, 07:04 PM
if quinn is a system QB, then i'll take him, because that system has won 3 super bowls.

Except we don't run that system.

DonShula84
10-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Except we don't run that system.

Our system has won 1 game, maybe adopting a new system wouldnt be such a bad idea...

Miami1
10-16-2006, 09:42 PM
I dont think Quinn would be the answer at QB. He isnt all that great in my opinion. He puts up most of his numbers against bad college teams.

They would be better off with Culpepper or Harrington rather than Quinn, who would probably bomb out with the level of competition in the NFL.

DonShula84
10-17-2006, 02:04 AM
I dont think Quinn would be the answer at QB. He isnt all that great in my opinion. He puts up most of his numbers against bad college teams.

They would be better off with Culpepper or Harrington rather than Quinn, who would probably bomb out with the level of competition in the NFL.

Yeah, because Culpepper and Harrington played top competition in college so that is clearly a mark of how good a player will be. Not to mention him only putting up numbers against bad teams isnt true. I'm sure you're only basing this on how he played against Michigan this year though.

Phinz4Life
10-17-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm still at odds at how to some Brady Quinn went from being this amazing QB to being an overrated system QB.

Baffling. Absolutely baffling.

PhinFan0202
10-17-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm still at odds at how to some Brady Quinn went from being this amazing QB to being an overrated system QB.

Baffling. Absolutely baffling.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't everyone say Matt Leniart was a system QB as well? "Oh, he has all the talent in the world around him", "Anyone could make those throws". People also said that he has no arm which is probably not true as well. Analyst are going find something wrong with a top tier QB because they need something to talk about and sometimes what they say isn't always true.

Kyfinsfan
10-17-2006, 04:15 PM
If Brohm comes out - he will evenutally be the best pro of this years QB class. Quinn may be drafted higher, but Brohm is better.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-17-2006, 04:21 PM
as does every college QB ever.

adamprez2003
10-17-2006, 04:51 PM
If Brohm comes out - he will evenutally be the best pro of this years QB class. Quinn may be drafted higher, but Brohm is better.

Like Cutler last yr. They're both hidden on teams that dont get media attention.

Phinz4Life
10-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't everyone say Matt Leniart was a system QB as well? "Oh, he has all the talent in the world around him", "Anyone could make those throws". People also said that he has no arm which is probably not true as well. Analyst are going find something wrong with a top tier QB because they need something to talk about and sometimes what they say isn't always true.

I almost bought into the anti-Leinart campaign, and would find myself saying stuff like "look at all the talent USC had" and "he's got no arm" but the more I got to see him, the more I felt he had that "IT" factor.

He's proving the doubters wrong.

PhinFan0202
10-17-2006, 06:58 PM
I almost bought into the anti-Leinart campaign, and would find myself saying stuff like "look at all the talent USC had" and "he's got no arm" but the more I got to see him, the more I felt he had that "IT" factor.

He's proving the doubters wrong.

Yeah he is. In two games as a rookie starter he's thrown 4 TDs 0 ints and has led two potential game winning drives and had it not been for the kicker he would be 2-0 as a starter.

columbuslarry
10-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Teddy Ginn 1st round Troy smith 2nd round. Playmakers.

DonShula84
10-18-2006, 01:47 AM
Teddy Ginn 1st round Troy smith 2nd round. Playmakers.

Ginn in the top 5 would make me cry

Stitches
10-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Ginn in the top 5 would make me cry

Me too. Especially if we drafted him. :boohoo:

Tailgun
10-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Forgive my ignorance, I really pay scant attention to college football. The only time I follow it is in the two months of scouting leading up to the NFL Draft every year.

So what's the word on Tyler Palko?

DonShula84
10-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Forgive my ignorance, I really pay scant attention to college football. The only time I follow it is in the two months of scouting leading up to the NFL Draft every year.

He wont be a 1st rounder and I see most sites have him pegged as a backup in the NFL. He's having good season though

ih8brady
10-21-2006, 04:51 PM
It's been over 20 years since we drafted a QB who could possibly be our future, time to grows some balls and get one in day 1.

Majpain
10-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Dont hate on Ginn. I do want Troy Smith though :yes:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-21-2006, 06:22 PM
quinn looked awesome today in the clutch. as usual. :yes:

PhinSoldia
10-21-2006, 06:34 PM

im not hating on the guy one bit...ok maybe i am...but i wouldnt want anything directly related to wanny

BE GOOD
10-21-2006, 07:50 PM
We need O-Line and help in the secondary more.
And Walters isn't the Raiders answer IMO.